Finebaum: CGM to Arky plausible

RunInRed

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

Agree. Media guys have nothing to lose saying this stuff. If they're wrong no one cares but if they're right everyone remembers what they said. He can't stand Auburn so he loves digging at Auburn fans. This way he covers all bases, loyal Gus fans get aggravated at this and the ones that want Gus to leave get excited. Got to give him credit, he's made a lot of money being a sports geek. 

Double Agree, how this guy has become the so called "expert" on all things SEC is just mind-blowing. He doesn't know anything. He has even literally said that he doesn't know anything about football, he'll leave that to the experts. At one point in time, he probably could know something. He might know alittle about Alabama but he has no real connections anymore to most schools. . He knows the culture of SEC football and that is it, but hang out for a few Saturdays at a tailgate and you will know the same amount. Just a Talking bald head. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, triangletiger said:

What's the deal with Gus and JJ not speaking? 

Oh, no big deal... We’re just up to about a dozen coaches now that don’t or didn’t speak to JJ in his decade of “on the job training” at Auburn.

All this and the money powers that be, keep JJ around!

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Double Agree, how this guy has become the so called "expert" on all things SEC is just mind-blowing. He doesn't know anything. He has even literally said that he doesn't know anything about football, he'll leave that to the experts. At one point in time, he probably could know something. He might know alittle about Alabama but he has no real connections anymore to most schools. . He knows the culture of SEC football and that is it, but hang out for a few Saturdays at a tailgate and you will know the same amount. Just a Talking bald head. 

I figure everyone knows pondscum is just a media muckraker....but sometimes he comes up with something worth discussing....such as the above....but it's all hypothetical....just sports blog chatter and has no impact on the outside world.   JMO.  But you get some interesting viewpoints ....and sometimes a little humor out of it too.

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Double Agree, how this guy has become the so called "expert" on all things SEC is just mind-blowing.

He's a Bammer, who is good a rustling the bakwoods fanbases.  I wouldn't give him any attention. 

7 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Yes. I remember him coming on game day a few years ago with no substance trying to make his point that bama was by far the best team in the country and the whole crew just ignored him. I will give him credit though for asking the Robinson question during '16 media days.

20 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Yeah it seems Auburn has been content with average coaching since Pat Dye left; i.e Bowden, Tuberville, Malzahn.  8-4 is on par for a typical season at Auburn.  Auburn doesn’t demand excellence from their coaches Year in and year out.  Will this trend ever change in our lifetime?

8-4 can get you fired if the 4 include LSU, UGA and Bama every year you are here.  The UGA thing is particularly embarrassing considering the shape of their program the last 2 years.

I haven't watched UGA play a full game this season, just bits and pieces of a game & highlights.  

Do they look legit?  I mean a serious contender where their current ranking is justified?

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I haven't watched UGA play a full game this season, just bits and pieces of a game & highlights.  

Do they look legit?  I mean a serious contender where their current ranking is justified?

Yes.  Their D is very good and their O utilizes all of their strengths with a talented freshman QB who is getting better and more comfortable with each game.  Their RBs are among the best in the country and the UGA coaching staff uses their RBs wisely.

ETA:  We have the talent to beat them, especially at home, but Gus has been awful against UGA.

wde

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

My opinion is No.  UGa has some great talent at RB but who have they played?  Name one team they have played that has a serious front 7.  They have been relying on the run game to setup the pass.  If you shut down their run game and put the weight of the game on the FR shoulders, I don't think he is going to beat you.  I do believe Fromm is a good player.  I just have a hard time believing he is going to be a world beater if they can't run the ball.

But as I said, this is just my opinion.  As I was typing this, someone has already replied to you and said the exact opposite.

Gus could go to Arky, or he could win out and get another extension. Both are highly unlikely but make for good radio and social media click bait. 

For now, beat the Aggies!  WDE?!  

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

They're very talented, but they haven't been tested offensively yet. No one has shut down their run game. They can hand the ball off to Michel and Chubb nearly every play. They're currently ranked 13 of 14 in SEC passing. It'll be interesting when Fromm ever gets some pressure on him, but like Saban, Kirby isn't going to allow Fromm to air it out until someone shuts down their running game. Their defense is very very good.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

I have watched them and I think they are very solid. As stated before, they look very well coached. Don’t take plays off or play down to their competition. And the Notre Dame win is looking better every week (Although Notre Dame should have won that game). I think they can give Alabama all they can handle if they end up in the sec championship 

The TAMU game is going to set the table with how the rest of the season plays out.  If we lose this game and we could (I want us to win out as bad as anyone), bad momentum could start fast and a 6-6 could be at hand. Yes, we could win out and that would be the ultimate cure to what ails a lot of good fans who have been supporting this team for years and are just tired of losing to Uga & bammer.  We have to win at least .500 of those games and nothing less.  I know bammer has been a hard nut to crack, but we are the team that has to crack that nut more than any team in the SEC plain and simple.

I dislike Finebaum and have done so for years, but what if he is right about Gus to Arky?

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

The TAMU game is going to set the table with how the rest of the season plays out.  If we lose this game and we could (I want us to win out as bad as anyone), bad momentum could start fast and a 6-6 could be at hand. Yes, we could win out and that would be the ultimate cure to what ails a lot of good fans who have been supporting this team for years and are just tired of losing to Uga & bammer.  We have to win at least .500 of those games and nothing less.  I know bammer has been a hard nut to crack, but we are the team that has to crack that nut more than any team in the SEC plain and simple.

I dislike Finebaum and have done so for years, but what if he is right about Gus to Arky?

Gus has every opportunity to turn the trend around, with an off week every staffer on this team has plenty of time to evaluated,  analyze, and game plan for the month of November.  A HUGE opportunity on the horizon.  GET IT DONE GUS!

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

8-4 can get you fired if the 4 include LSU, UGA and Bama every year you are here.  The UGA thing is particularly embarrassing considering the shape of their program the last 2 years.

I remember at one of his news conferences Terry Bowden said the PTB at Auburn know it's almost impossible to beat uat every year, but he added you sure better beat them some of the time. I don't think one out of four or maybe five will cut it.

We can lose Gus AND J.J but the atmosphere that brought J.J to power will still be there. If that doesn't change then we are back on the carousal. Count on it!!! >:( 

It is that, that makes it hard to be an Auburn fan sometimes.

9 hours ago, keesler said:

Gus has every opportunity to turn the trend around, with an off week every staffer on this team has plenty of time to evaluated,  analyze, and game plan for the month of November.  A HUGE opportunity on the horizon.  GET IT DONE GUS!

It is a tremendous opportunity, and the Good Lord only knows how much this would mean to the program. The odds though are not in our favor once we get past TAMU.  I would love nothing more than to win out and this would heal a lot of wounds the Auburn Nation has had to deal with. The issue is that we are going on 4 years of not beating Uga & bammer. The loss to Oklahoma in last year's bowl game is a part of the picture as well. If we had beaten Uga last year and the bowl game, you would see a lot more fans on Gus' side including me.

Gus has not found a way to win those games and the clock is fast running out on him to do so.  Gus needs to have this team able to win at least 2 out of the next 3 SEC games IMHO to keep his job. The only was he could remain with losing 2 out of the 3 is beating bammer in a way that is just good old knock them to their knees hard nose football.  I think this sums up in a simple assessment what Gus needs to do to keep his job.

All of the JJ hate has some merit no doubt. If he stays and Gus goes,  I do think he will hire the best HC he has ever done in his career as AD...he has no choice but to do so. I do think that the powers that be dislike losing as much as any of us do. I think that JJ or whoever will be the next AD will make the hire to get the program to the next level and remain there.  I do not think this is wishful thinking.  I cannot imagine any person in power who donates mega $$$$$ to our program is happy losing to our top 2 rivals going on 4 years. Their return on investment is horrible in this regard.  Even bammer has been lost in the desert for several years (mid to late 80s,  mid to late to 90s, most of the 2000-2009). When Saban goes there will be a drop off. No coach in all of football can sustain what Saban has managed to do over his time at bammer.

We have done well over the years and better than the majority of all SEC teams.  We should be a 9-11 win team year in and out and have the ingredients to do so. I think the remainder of the season will tell the tale if Gus is going to be a part of the ingredients.

My patience with Gus is running on fumes and I can no longer pump sunshine in his direction unless he can prove a lot of folks wrong and win Amen Corner.  I just do not see this happening though and I am not trying to be negative but am being honest with myself.

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Gus could go to Arky, or he could win out and get another extension. Both are highly unlikely but make for good radio and social media click bait. 

For now, beat the Aggies!  WDE?!  

Love the sound of any of it except EXTENSION!!!  (But I am not a fan of $$$$$$$$$$$ extensions in general....)  :Sing:

8 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

We can lose Gus AND J.J but the atmosphere that brought J.J to power will still be there. If that doesn't change then we are back on the carousal. Count on it!!! >:( 

It is that, that makes it hard to be an Auburn fan sometimes.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly, Nick Saban patently refused to come to Alabama without being given full control of the program.  Kirby Smart reacted the same way in his Auburn interview...full control or bust.  At the time, I remember thinking, "How arrogant!"  But knowing what little I know now and seeing the West Vance results (although I am of the gut-opinion that there are many factors influencing those results which may or may not ever be known in due time)...it's hard to argue against a fresh start with diversified control.  I do wonder...for those who do know...did Alabama just get sick and tired of the meddling right about the time of Saban's hire?  What was the straw that broke the meddlers' backs?  It's a behavioral law that if and when one decides that the effort and worth of change is less costly than the effort/results of not changing....things finally change, ideally for the better, even if not overnight.

No inside info, but Bama was desperate after going through  Dubose, Franchione, Shula, the Price "era" and being turned down by Rich Rodriguez. It was really a case of perfect timing between a program desperate for a winning coach and a coach desperate for a return to college football. Saban had all of the leverage and used it fully to his advantage. The Bammers hated to give up control of their program but sold their soul to hire Saban.
Not sure if the guy like that exists for AU to do something similar. I heard the same thing you did about Smart and that made me want him even more. Supposedly, Dye wanted him because he saw a lot of himself in Smart. Not sure what happened there.

50 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It is a tremendous opportunity, and the Good Lord only knows how much this would mean to the program. The odds though are not in our favor once we get past TAMU.  I would love nothing more than to win out and this would heal a lot of wounds the Auburn Nation has had to deal with. The issue is that we are going on 4 years of not beating Uga & bammer. The loss to Oklahoma in last year's bowl game is a part of the picture as well. If we had beaten Uga last year and the bowl game, you would see a lot more fans on Gus' side including me.

Gus has not found a way to win those games and the clock is fast running out on him to do so.  Gus needs to have this team able to win at least 2 out of the next 3 SEC games IMHO to keep his job. The only was he could remain with losing 2 out of the 3 is beating bammer in a way that is just good old knock them to their knees hard nose football.  I think this sums up in a simple assessment what Gus needs to do to keep his job.

All of the JJ hate has some merit no doubt. If he stays and Gus goes,  I do think he will hire the best HC he has ever done in his career as AD...he has no choice but to do so. I do think that the powers that be dislike losing as much as any of us do. I think that JJ or whoever will be the next AD will make the hire to get the program to the next level and remain there.  I do not think this is wishful thinking.  I cannot imagine any person in power who donates mega $$$$$ to our program is happy losing to our top 2 rivals going on 4 years. Their return on investment is horrible in this regard.  Even bammer has been lost in the desert for several years (mid to late 80s,  mid to late to 90s, most of the 2000-2009). When Saban goes there will be a drop off. No coach in all of football can sustain what Saban has managed to do over his time at bammer.

Huh?  Oh you mean Jacobs will bring back Tuberville.

Archived