Finebaum: CGM to Arky plausible

RunInRed

54 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I do not know if Mullen would even want to come to Auburn.  If I were him, I would stay at Mississippi State.  Lower expectations, and he would be likely to become the best coach they have ever had.  That said, I doubt he would be Auburn's first target.  Given the way things have gone lately, Auburn would form a search committee of "Auburn Men" that subsequently announces Rhett Lashlee as the new head coach.

I hate you

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Winning cures all.  Everyone would careless about  the whole Cam issue after back to back 10 win seasons. 

I think Dan to be in equal class to Gus. Decent coach but not the guy that can take us to where we should be. 

48 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In fairness to Chizik, that has turned out to be the case with Gus' offense when he does not have Cam or Nick Marshall taking snaps.  That said, you are correct that it started in 2011.  Chizik made two critical mistakes that ultimately led to his demise.  First, he decided to transition to a pro-style offense, with a roster of players recruited to do Gus' thing.  On top of that, the QB position was in bad shape for such a transition.  Second, he hired an unqualified Scot Loeffler to oversee that transition.  I think he could have survived the first mistake, had he made a good offensive coordinator hire.

I have said these exact same words for years

23 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think Dan to be in equal class to Gus. Decent coach but not the guy that can take us to where we should be. 

What would your rebuttal be if someone said Gus gets the minimum out of his team while Dan overachieves with his team?

I think Gus becomes attractive to Arky if the can find a home for Brett in the B1G. That way they can agree to let Brett go with no cost either way and AU and Gus can agree to let Gus go to Arky as a mutual arrangement with neither party paying and AU can get their coach. No buyouts and everyone is happy. ?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Mullen's wife love Starkville. They are happy there.

To be fair, she probably hasn't been to  Auburn.  Im not saying Auburn is the best place in the SEC but....no wait it is  the best place in the SEC

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good for them. I hate him but like him at the same time. I think he deserves a better gig, but he may not want one

2 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Good for them. I hate him but like him at the same time. I think he deserves a better gig, but he may not want one

He does want one and has been trying to get out for years. 

5 minutes ago, AuGrad2004 said:

Mullen will scoot to UF if given the chance.......  Isn't the AD there the old AD at MSU who he had a good relationship with?

Ugh probably so, then the east will be good again w Kirby and Mullen, and we’ll be playing Florida right as Mullen gets them Natl champ ready...

4 minutes ago, AuGrad2004 said:

Mullen will scoot to UF if given the chance.......  Isn't the AD there the old AD at MSU who he had a good relationship with?

he is but I’m not sure that JM will leave Florida. I think UTk has a much better shot with Mullin than UF. I hope is isn’t gone by the time AUburn makes a decision on Gus

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Chizik made two critical mistakes that ultimately led to his demise.  First, he decided to transition to a pro-style offense, with a roster of players recruited to do Gus' thing.  On top of that, the QB position was in bad shape for such a transition.  Second, he hired an unqualified Scot Loeffler to oversee that transition. 

The above is true. And both reflect the complete lack of strategic insight lacking in our football program and AD office.  One of the first things a new AD should do, is hold a week long retreat to train our coaches and athletic department employees on strategic planning and culture building. It is sorely lacking. 

On 10/25/2017 at 9:13 AM, Slammer1 said:

This seems to me a beware of what you wish for situation. I have observed finebum pushing for Gus to go to AK for quite some time now. I think he wants Gus gone from Auburn because Gus is still a threat to his beloved bama. Remember Gus has beat saban twice which is more than anybody else has done save Ole Miss and the bama TPB have certainly addressed that situation. . I want to see how the rest of the season goes before I join the "off with his head" crowd. Hopefully the LSU game has knocked some common sense into Gus and he gets back to the offense that got him to where he is. One thing I have learned in life is that  you learn by your mistakes. Hopefully this has sunk into Gus's mind also. The problems are the buyout and who do we get for a coach? I hope calmer minds prevail here. There is  still a lot of football to be played so its a little  early to start building the scaffold. JMO

WDE

That would mean Finebaum believes Saban considers Gus more of a threat than Auburn fans think of him 

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Given the way things have gone lately, Auburn would form a search committee of "Auburn Men" that subsequently announces Rhett Lashlee as the new head coach.

After the 2013 season many thought Rhett might be our next coach.  wow...

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

What would your rebuttal be if someone said Gus gets the minimum out of his team while Dan overachieves with his team?

I would definitely agree with you, most every coach out there get more out of their players than Gus. My reply is that Dan doesn’t have the capacity to compete on a regular bases against the Sabens, Urbans, Dabos or even the Fishers. So our goals will still

not be met with him. As someone mentioned I would be surprised if Dan left MSU he has no demands there to meet.

2 hours ago, goatgravy7 said:

Say Paul finebum is right. My question is, who is out there that will come to Auburn, and actually have anymore success?

I'll do it! haha I don't think we will have much of a problem. Just think about it:

Great place to live and raise a family? check.

Millions of dollars? check.

High profile job in the top conference? check.

A roster full of talent? check

2 hours ago, goatgravy7 said:

Say Paul finebum is right. My question is, who is out there that will come to Auburn, and actually have anymore success?

I’m hoping with Jay gone the person making the next hire will set their sites higher. No mor AU ties. No more up and coming non P5 unproven in the big league. Need some one with proven CEO experience running a multi- million dollar business. Who will demand improvements to the structures and demand money for a support staff. Will insist the AU athletics become upper tier. Hire home run assistant coaches because he does not feel intimidated by anyone. Has a plan from the get go to build a maintainable championship football program that will be a top ten

every year with no excuses.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Does she realize it is not really Vegas?

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

No coach changes the culture of a university. Coach Jordan didn't change Auburn, Pat Dye didn't change Auburn, Auburn is Auburn and FSU is FSU. The experience of attending the two schools is very different and it doesn't matter who the coach is. Some prospects prefer AU, some prefer FSU and no coach can change that.

Another thing about Jimbo: His two big rivals, Florida and Miami have both been on historic down cycles. The 'Canes are back up this year, and sooner or later the Gators will be back up as well. Part of Jimbo's success is due to his two biggest rivals being down. That's not something Jimbo accomplished himself.

Bingo.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

I'll do it! haha I don't think we will have much of a problem. Just think about it:

Great place to live and raise a family? check.

Millions of dollars? check.

High profile job in the top conference? check.

A roster full of talent? check

Having to compete with Saban and knowing if you can’t beat him you are pretty much toast. IMO Auburn will not be patient enough to let any coach build the program their way. Not in its  current state and with the power brokers currently in charge. There are many power 5 jobs that offer what you mentioned, the SEC and coaching in the state of Alabama is a grind and most coaches out there can’t handle it IMO. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m hoping with Jay gone the person making the next hire will set their sites higher. No mor AU ties. No more up and coming non P5 unproven in the big league. Need some one with proven CEO experience running a multi- million dollar business. Who will demand improvements to the structures and demand money for a support staff. Will insist the AU athletics become upper tier. Hire home run assistant coaches because he does not feel intimidated by anyone. Has a plan from the get go to build a maintainable championship football program that will be a top ten

every year with no excuses.

Hell every body wants that...but the reality is there are only 2 proven guys with that pedigee. Saban and Meyer. They ain’t leaving. So after that you are rolling the dice on someone who you think can give you that high level of productivity. 

Archived