Should we extend Malzahn's contract?

thaitopher

Malzahn contract extension poll  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PTB extend Malzahn's contract?

JMO but I think Jimbo would prefer to go to AU over TAMU and he is dragging this thing out waiting to see what Gus does. Jimbo is smart. He knows we will be loaded next year and this is not a rebuild job and he could compete for championships right away unlike at TAMU where he has to change that whole culture. This is really annoying anytime we go to a sec title game under GUS there is some job distraction that comes up. BUT it beats the alternative of the past few years where no one wants your coach! haha.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

The only hesitation, in my eyes, is wait til this Saturday.

Win or lose, if AU plays smart and is competitive, then it's safe to assume (as much as it can be) that Gus has truly turned the corner from overly cautious professor to magnificent beast.

If that's the case then he might as well get at least as good as lil general.  .... probably should be even better.

Yep.  The assumption that Gus has somehow shed his choking habit for good is a popular delusion around here.  

Let's at least see him win the SEC before we lock ourselves into huge $$$ and more years. 

Should we extend Malzahn's contract? NO WAY. We lose a lot of seniors after this year. We could also have some juniors to leave early. So what happens if Gus falls back to his old ways of going 7-6 or 8-5 again?

This is stupid. Yes if your coach beats the two # 1 teams and takes the team to the SECCG then yes you extend his contract and raise his pay according to whatever the top coaches in your conference are making. This isn’t rocket science folks. While I get mad about the LSU game I still think he is a top 5 coach in the country by his history . A NC a second NC game 3 time SeC West champ going for 3 time SEC champ and maybe a 3rd NC game. If you think we shouldn’t extend him or raise his pay then you are either a non AU fan or don’t understand much about college football.

28 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Should we extend Malzahn's contract? NO WAY. We lose a lot of seniors after this year. We could also have some juniors to leave early. So what happens if Gus falls back to his old ways of going 7-6 or 8-5 again?

He gets us back to where we need to be. 

37 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Your point regarding the juniors possibly leaving early is the caveat to having great recruiting classes. If you recruit top talent you have to keep recruiting top talent because you won't have the really good ones for four years in many cases. Recruiting this year is looking very good from what I learn from some of the informed people on here. I'm just glad that we will be having guys go in the draft in greater numbers. That means the coaches are developing them and that will lead to more top recruits giving Auburn s hard look. This staff has done a really good job as this season has progressed and these players love playing for them. We should all feel very fortunate to be Auburn fans right now. There are 4 teams that are in control right now and Auburn is one and Bama isn't. :)

It depends on which Gus we will have moving forward. If it’s the Gus we’ve had the last three weeks where he lets his coaches do their thing, then I’m all for it. If it’s the Gus we had for the Clemson, LSU game, etc...then no. Don’t want that Gus.

No extension. Gus is finally doing the job we paid him to do. He needs to show he can be consistent. It's simple as that.  

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m fairly certain if we offer no extension, we get no Gus next year... 

Yep. Reality is hard for some to understand. He's a wanted commodity and there's a lucrative offer on the table from his home state hogs. We need to show him that he's wanted above the pull to Fayetteville.

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m fairly certain if we offer no extension, we get no Gus next year... 

I don't get the manic rush to throw money at a guy who has a well-established history of being a big-game choker.  It would be just like us to pony up millions more $$$ tomorrow over an additional 6 years and then have him completely crater vs UGA on Saturday.

He wins the SEC, he's worth giving more.

He wins the playoff semi, he's worth more, still.

He wins it all, he's the best darned coach in college football and can name his price.  And I'll happily pay it.

13 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I don't get the manic rush to throw money at a guy who has a well-established history of being a big-game choker.  It would be just like us to pony up millions more $$$ tomorrow over an additional 6 years and then have him completely crater vs UGA on Saturday.

He wins the SEC, he's worth giving more.

He wins the playoff semi, he's worth more, still.

He wins it all, he's the best darned coach in college football and can name his price.  And I'll happily pay it.

Again show me who has done more than Gus. Third SEC game maybe 3 rd NC game . How many coaches out there do you know that has a better resume? Just beat two CFP # 1s in a row. You must be from another planet. That has NEVER been done . So what is it you want ? A saben clone. He is about as close as there is and much younger. He worth north of 6 million. But I think the thing he really wants is a stadium and facility up grade. This is where we beat Arky bad. It would take them a long time to even get to where AU is now facility wise. But Gus wants to use this point to make them better . After the LSU game I did not think he would turn the corner but he has. Pay for he man.

45 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

No extension. Gus is finally doing the job we paid him to do. He needs to show he can be consistent. It's simple as that.  

lol yah that is not how this works. we have no leverage. If we do not give him a significant bump in pay plus extension he is def going. When you beat 2 number one teams in 3 weeks the rules change.

7 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I don't get the manic rush to throw money at a guy who has a well-established history of being a big-game choker.

I’m not saying we should offer Gus before UGA. Just set things in motion. It’s  not really a rush to reward him. It’s past that. Arkansas clearly wants him and now the ball is in our court to show him that we either want him or that he can move on. It’s how the market for the college football coaches work. Basically, if we are hesitant to offer him an extension because of his past coaching history, we still have to offer him something to keep him on board. I would love for Auburn to run against the market, but I’d hate to know the candidates they’d line up if that was the case. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I’m not saying we should offer Gus before UGA. Just set things in motion. It’s  not really a rush to reward him. It’s past that. Arkansas clearly wants him and now the ball is in our court to show him that we either want him or that he can move on. It’s how the market for the college football coaches work. Basically, if we are hesitant to offer him an extension because of his past coaching history, we still have to offer him something to keep him on board. I would love for Auburn to run against the market, but I’d hate to know the candidates they’d line up if that was the case. 

For what it’s worth we have already told Gus we will in fact give him a big raise. We would sign it before the game if he wants. His agent has already presented a list of what it’s going to take and he will get most if not all of it. Bank it. There will at least be an agreement in principal before we play uga.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

For what it’s worth we have already told Gus we will in fact give him a big raise. We would sign it before the game if he wants. His agent has already presented a list of what it’s going to take and he will get most if not all of it. Bank it. There will at least be an agreement in principal before we play uga.

So the money is a done deal before we even play the SECCG

This agreement add any extra years to his contract?   If so, the Auburn PTB are even dumber than I thought....

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I hope so. I don’t like how our recruits are hearing from the pundits how likely it is that Gus will head to Arkansas if he loses to UGA. I, for one, will be very very confused if Gus heads to Arkansas. I know he may be homesick but I also know he is more competitive than that. You can see his competitive fire when our team scores in a big moment and he lets out one of his trademark booms. If he takes a job inferior to his current job, I don’t know if I could ever take him seriously again. 

That would be like Kyrie Irving leaving the Celtics just to earn a couple million dollars more with the Bobcats. 

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol yah that is not how this works. we have no leverage. If we do not give him a significant bump in pay plus extension he is def going. When you beat 2 number one teams in 3 weeks the rules change.

Sorry don't agree. How fast people forget that if Gus would've lost to LSU last year he would've been fired. We were this close again this year to being fired. You don't get an extension from 2 games when you've lost 3 years in a row to your rivals. I wish i had a job that i could get a raise for finally doing what i was initially paid to do. He's already been extended. Good job on both wins but he needs to show consistency. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Sorry don't agree. How fast people forget that if Gus would've lost to LSU last year he would've been fired. We were this close again this year to being fired. You don't get an extension from 2 games when you've lost 3 years in a row to your rivals. I wish i had a job that i could get a raise for finally doing what i was initially paid to do. He's already been extended. Good job on both wins but he needs to show consistency. 

well then who do you want as our next head coach? cause he will walk if we do what you want to do.

He needs to win this Sat.   Otherwise winning the GA and Bama games  just got him to the 10 game threshold many on here said was needed to keep him.   

I want him.  And want to now keep him going forward.. But extending and going max $ comes with a Conference Championship WIN!  

Win the dang SEC Championship game and name the price. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

JMO but I think Jimbo would prefer to go to AU over TAMU and he is dragging this thing out waiting to see what Gus does. Jimbo is smart. He knows we will be loaded next year and this is not a rebuild job and he could compete for championships right away unlike at TAMU where he has to change that whole culture. 

:-X

Speaking of Jimbo

CFB coaching seems to be a “how much do you love me” business willing to build leverage by testing loyalties.

I'm stunned at some of the "stuff" in this thread.

1) As mentioned on several other posts here, Gus is clearly a top 5 coach in the country.  If you don't think so, who do you realistically think we'd get that would be better?

2) I honestly couldn't think of a worse season to be hunting for a coach. Definitely a seller's market.

3) The impact of not having a coach in place on the early side ing day is uncharted water, but I think a lot of big name recruits will fall of the boards, and without a coach, schools will miss out big time. 

4) Gus can recruit and hire his staff well

5) He may have lost games, but he's never lost a team.

I think at this point Auburn is backed into a corner where they have to extend his contract. If we don’t, recruiting will get hammered (coach won 10 games, won the West, beat two #1’s and Auburn didn’t care enough about the FB program to extend his contract...). If we lose him to Arky we’ll be the laughingstock of college football. I’ve been off the bus for a LONG time, but I think Auburn doesn’t have a choice on this one. WDE!

Some of the posts in this thread are coming from a different universe. Get a grip.  You all are out of your mind if you think we are in a position of getting something better than we already have. Gus holds all the cards now. Get over it. Sign his arse. 

I want to know who you think you can get that is better. Do you want to join UT  in a cluster. Damn. You also do not appreciate the fact that AU is beating Bama more than any other team is. We need other teams to man up! Grow up.

Archived