Sir Charles Speakes

AFTiger

Charles Barkley heard about it. Then he started asking questions about it. Now he doesn't believe it.

The most famous basketball player in Auburn history doesn't believe the school's athletics department was guilty of discrimination when it eliminated three positions, two of them held by black men

Scarbinsky Column

Glad to hear it. Sir Charles, and any other Black man that understands what racism is and what it can do, should speak out when this type of crap is done by an idiot who's only agenda is politics! :au:

Damage control or the lack thereof, continually amazes me at Auburn! It would seem logical that Auburn officials would have had public statements from both Sir Charles and Chette Williams to counter the allegations made by Alvin Holmes, the Mooooooooooooooooost Reverend Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson and other agitators who are trying to trash us....

If Jacobs thinks that this issue is just going to go away if he ignores it, then he had better go back for training as an AD and get some basic training in public relations... WDE! :au:

I'm kind of up in the air over what to do. I would normally say that we should be proactive and publically state our case. Others, like Jenny, say Alvin Holmes will quickly move on to other super-important, racially motivated issues, :P when he can't muster the support for this cause and it will eventually fade away.

I know folks like Finetwerp are the only ones even talking about it anymore. Last week, he writes an article stating that every day people keep talking about it is a bad day of publicity for Auburn. He starts that afternoon's show off by calling it one of the main topics people are talking about so he keeps the flames fanned for another day.

It's just hard to know if coming out and making public statements will help Auburn or only serve to stir up something that will really just go away.

Once again, I think this will just go away. Finebaum is even the ONLY media source that this is still being talked about on. The only reason that it is being dscussed there is because people will call and talk about racism. They are not calling to talk about "racism at Auburn" they are calling to talk about "racism".

I think this is a non-issue and making a public statement will just bring this non-issue into the limelight.

I agree. This "thing" will just go way. No story there. Simply the lies of one idiot.

Link

Thank you Sir!

Barkley: AU isn't guilty of racism

Sports columnist Kevin Scarbinsky

Monday, March 07, 2005

Charles Barkley heard about it. Then he started asking questions about it. Now he doesn't believe it.

The most famous basketball player in Auburn history doesn't believe the school's athletics department was guilty of discrimination when it eliminated three positions, two of them held by black men.

That charge was leveled by black leaders at the school and echoed by the Black Caucus of the state Legislature and the president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

"To me," Barkley said, "there is no proof of racism."

The most outspoken retired athlete in state history doesn't believe the Black Caucus should've called for black athletes to boycott Auburn as a result of those job cuts.

"I'm embarrassed for them to do that," Barkley said. "I don't think any black person should tell black kids not to go to college."

These aren't the opinions of an outside agitator. They come from one of the most legitimate voices on the subject.

Barkley knows Auburn. He spent three years playing basketball and getting an education there.

He also knows race. He grew up poor and black in Leeds and grew up to become rich and black, in some of the largest cities in the country, above and below the Mason-Dixon line.

"I'm not going to let anybody be racist against anybody, white or black," Barkley said. "If it deserves to be called out, I'll call it out."

Barkley went to school there, but he's no Auburn apologist. A year ago, when two of the three finalists to become the school's head basketball coach were black but the job went to a white man, Barkley didn't like it.

He believed Auburn missed an opportunity when it didn't hire Mike Anderson or Jeff Capel. He questioned whether Auburn was truly committed to diversity in such a high-profile position.

But, during the past year, he's gotten to know the coach Auburn hired and to offer Jeff Lebo his support.

Barkley did his homework before speaking out on the controversy spawned by Auburn's decision to eliminate the jobs held by Stacy Danley and Eugene Harris, who are black, and Marvin Julich, who's white.

Barkley went straight to the source and talked to both Danley and Harris.

"They're both friends of mine, and I want them to do well," Barkley said. "But I look at the evidence.

"They didn't give their jobs to white people. They cut out their jobs, and they fired a white person. I don't believe it was racism."

Barkley said he hopes Danley and Harris "don't do anything to trash Auburn."

"People really have to be careful when they accuse somebody of racism," he said. "Especially in Alabama or anywhere in the South. You really have to have legitimate proof."

Barkley's new book on race is further evidence of his passion for the subject. The book will hit stores at the end of this month, and he'll hit the road April 1 to promote it.

The book's title: "Who's Afraid of a Large Black Man?"

Not Barkley. He's never been afraid of things painted black and white. Kevin Scarbinsky's column appears Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Write him at kscarbinsky@bhamnews.com.

I'm kind of up in the air over what to do.  I would normally say that we should be proactive and publically state our case.  Others, like Jenny, say Alvin Holmes will quickly move on to other super-important, racially motivated issues, :P   when he can't muster the support for this cause and it will eventually fade away.

I know folks like Finetwerp are the only ones even talking about it anymore.  Last week, he writes an article stating that every day people keep talking about it is a bad day of publicity for Auburn.  He starts that afternoon's show off by calling it one of the main topics people are talking about so he keeps the flames fanned for another day.

It's just hard to know if coming out and making public statements will help Auburn or only serve to stir up something that will really just go away.

149760[/snapback]

I PROMISE it will go away. Not just hope, PROMISE. PLEASE trust me on this - I have been in the trenches and have seen it up close and personal - Alvin is given mike time because the rules of the State House say the Speaker has to give it to him, and the press need someting to do, but NOTHING is going to happen to Auburn because of him and his ilk. N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

Alvin just needed some new protest photos for his campaign brochure. Finescum is just keeping the fire lit and more public statements fan the flames. We all know there is no truth to the charge of racism in this instance, so our best bet is to patiently wait until some Montgomery cop arrests a black kid for spitting on the sidewalk and then Alvin will have another issue to scream about and Auburn drops off the radar. IN THIS INSTANCE, there are NO racial undertones, NO racial motivations, and any thinking person can see that, i.e., anyone who ignores Alvin Holmes. :P

You know, it seems to me that the interim provost at Auburn who started making a big deal out of this may also be selling it a bit for his own gain. His home page on Auburn's website seems to be selling his "services" as a speaker-for-hire.

http://www.auburn.edu/~grenekd/

Is this whole deal a bit of free publicity for him? I would hope that someone would not be using such serious allegations for personal or proffessional gain. But, Barkley's published comments seem to refute these allegations - and I have no doubt that Barkley would not truthfully speak his mind (hasn't happened yet!!)

In retrospect, it appears that this guy was really the initiator of this whole "racism" angle on the re-structuring. Maybe not, but it sure seems like he was the one who fanned the flames. If this is all just smoke and no fire, then this will be an egregious abuse of his position.

I too agree that this will just fade away. A lot of my friends down here that are students knew little to nothing about it to begin with, and even when I've gone home to Bammerham it hasn't seemed to be a really hot topic. Select few like Finescum are discussing it or giving the idiots who brought this up opportunities to and I think it'll be a rather short matter of time before it's gone.

Someone may have already made this point, but I heard someone say "If Auburn was a racist institution, then why did Ronnie and Carnell pass up millions just to play one more year at Auburn"

Not directly football, Auburn, or race-related, per say, but speaking of Sir Charles:

Does anyone think he will ever seriously run for governor, as he has sometimes joked? I'm not saying he's necessarily qualified or would be a good Governor, but he would certainly be an interesting one! :rolleyes:

He's probably as qualified as Jesse Ventura was, and I think he's probably much less corrupt than some of the politicians already in Montgomery.

Not directly football, Auburn, or race-related, per say, but speaking of Sir Charles:

Does anyone think he will ever seriously run for governor, as he has sometimes joked?

I wish he would, QuietFan. Our whole state political system needs shaking up, and he is a good candidate to do it.

If Auburn was a racist institution, then why did Ronnie and Carnell pass up millions just to play one more year at Auburn

I recently read Barkleys' book "I could be wrong, but I doubt it". He talks about black atheletes(mainly football players) being put on a pedestal at Auburn. He also says the black students not involved in atheletics were treated much differently. He pretty much bashed the whole state of Alabama for being racist. :no:

This is scary. The Birmingham News seems to get it.

It would be nice if the groups urging a boycott and threatening Auburn's funding would distinguish accurately what really happened in the athletic department shakeup. It wasn't racism.

Link

I'd like to mention two points which to my knowledge, have not been brought up. One, IF the two were dismissed for valid reasons, and theirs was a personal services contract between them and the AU athletic department, then that dept is NOT free to discuss the grounds for these dismissals publicly via the privacy act. Therefore, our hands are tied unlike the complainaints, who may not be bound by any rules.

Secondly, during WWII, when the Tuskeegee airmen were being trained, Auburn allowed the black pilots to be trained at Auburn since there were no facilities at Tuskeegee. No other university allowed this, especially the one west of us. Is this characteristic of a true racist university? NO!

WDE! :au:

Someone should point t his out to Finescum!

Shug, you bring up a great point. Not only might the details be confidential(As they should be) but since when does any employer come out publically and say, "Yea, we had to let him go because he sucked at his job." You don't do that. You "Restructure" or "Downsize" or "Move in another direction".

Even when a coach is 5-70, they say, "We decided to go in another direction." You don't come out and say, "Coach Smith was just awful."

I listened to about 5 minutes of Pondscum last night and during that time, he took Barkley's words and twisted them around, said he wasn't credible and basically did everything he could to discount what CB said and keep this crap going. I ask you Paul, who knows about the atmosphere at Auburn better, you or a black athlete that attended school(Well, sort of :big: ) and played ball there?

And what's better for your ratings, believing Barkley and dismissing Alvin Holmes' claims or blowing off Barkley and keeping the Bammer nation crowing about racist Auburn? Hmmmm...let's see now...

Esquire, You have hit the old nail on the head. That is , after all , what this is all about. uat fans need something, ANYTHING, to "crow" about.

THAT is just how bad things are in loseville. finescum is more than happy to pander to his uat audience. :)

Finebaum is good at what he does, pander to the Bammers. Good point, the sidewalk bammers have to have something to "crow" about because thier AU buddies have the upper hand i.e. 3 in a row, 4 out of 5.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Finebaum is good at what he does, pander to the Bammers. Good point, the sidewalk bammers have to have something to "crow" about because thier AU buddies have the upper hand i.e. 3 in a row, 4 out of 5.

149940[/snapback]

Sidewalk? I prefer the term "dirt road alumni".

Esquire, You have hit the old nail on the head. That is , after all , what this is all about. uat fans need something, ANYTHING, to "crow" about.

THAT is just how bad things are in loseville. finescum is more than happy to pander to his uat audience. :)

149936[/snapback]

How does Bama get brought into this? Finebaum is just as critical to us as he is to Auburn. You can't honestly think that a true Bama fan that enjoys watching football could think that this is funny for Auburn. Reasonable people know that even joking about racism is not a funny matter, and to accuse a university of such a thing is serious business. I personally think that it is wrong what they are trying to do to Auburn, and that is use the university to bring attention to a few people. If the rest of the world can be fired, because of cutbacks or because of doing a poor job, why not blacks? I do wonder what that parent would do if their son is offered a 4 year scholarship with everything paid to Auburn, and these people want them to boycott. Do you choose your son over your race, and let him go to a big university with national following and possibility of going pro, or do you boycott and let him go to a smaller university never to be heard from again. I think that the people wanting to boycott should realize that they could be hurting their race instead of helping it, and only to help 2 people that may not even have been doing a good job.

BMH, the reason for that statement stems from the makeup of Finebum's show. I think it would be safe to assume that 75% plus of his audience consists of Alabama fans. PF himself has said often that AU fans do not call or respond to his show. You have to give the bald little dweeb credit for one thing, he knows how cater to and stir up his target audience.

Finebaum is the only major media outlet that is keeping the racism at Auburn issue alive and well on a daily basis. He does so because his audience loves to have something to rag their rival about. If you've been listening closely to PF, it's amazing how he keeps bringing it up and fanning the flames. Last week, he wrote an article saying that every day people keep bringing the subject up is a bad day of publicity for Auburn. That afternoon, he starts off his show by saying that the BIG TOPIC CONTINUES TO BE RACISM AT AUBURN.

There are very few Auburn fans, comparatively speaking, that call his show. The one guy, Charles Barkley, that publically defends Auburn, is quickly dismissed by Finebaum and he moves on to talk about how Homes will ask black athletes to boycott Auburn.

By the way, the very next caller started off by saying, "Paul, I wouldn't let my kid go to Auburn either. Now, what do you think Bama's chances of making the Final 4 are?"

BMH, the reason for that statement stems from the makeup of Finebum's show. I think it would be safe to assume that 75% plus of his audience consists of Alabama fans. PF himself has said often that AU fans do not call or respond to his show. You have to give the bald little dweeb credit for one thing, he knows how cater to and stir up his target audience.

Finebaum is the only major media outlet that is keeping the racism at Auburn issue alive and well on a daily basis. He does so because his audience loves to have something to rag their rival about. If you've been listening closely to PF, it's amazing how he keeps bringing it up and fanning the flames. Last week, he wrote an article saying that every day people keep bringing the subject up is a bad day of publicity for Auburn. That afternoon, he starts off his show by saying that the BIG TOPIC CONTINUES TO BE RACISM AT AUBURN.

There are very few Auburn fans, comparatively speaking, that call his show. The one guy, Charles Barkley, that publically defends Auburn, is quickly dismissed by Finebaum and he moves on to talk about how Homes will ask black athletes to boycott Auburn.

I know what you mean. I tell myself every day that I am not going to listen, but it's on when I get in the car...so I listen. I do limit myself to only listen when I am on the way home, and not after I get inside. He makes me so mad sometimes that I am afraid that I will run off the road. I take it as a personal insult that someone who has never played football a day in his life, and probably not even a team sport talks about the players and coaches like he does. He made me so mad yesterday talking with Don somebody and he was so rude to the man, and made fun of how he was speaking, and this was because the guy was black. In the same breath he was stating how he was not racist. He was just rude, and I have heard him be that way to several black callers.

Bottom line, I just wanted you Auburn fans to know that Bama fans don't like him anymore than you do(hey maybe that would be a good boycott), and that the ones I know do not think Auburn being called a racist school is a good or funny thing. I want to beat Auburn in football in the worst way, but I want Auburn at their best when we do. I think you guys feel the same.

:lol::lol::lol:

I am thankful uaters do not send their "kids" to Auburn. Then, well, Auburn would not be "Auburn".

:poke:

You know, it seems to me that the interim provost at Auburn who started making a big deal out of this may also be selling it a bit for his own gain.  His home page on Auburn's website seems to be selling his "services" as a speaker-for-hire. 

http://www.auburn.edu/~grenekd/

Is this whole deal a bit of free publicity for him?  I would hope that someone would not be using such serious allegations for personal or proffessional gain.  But, Barkley's published comments seem to refute these allegations - and I have no doubt that Barkley would not truthfully speak his mind (hasn't happened yet!!)

In retrospect, it appears that this guy was really the initiator of this whole "racism" angle on the re-structuring.  Maybe not, but it sure seems like he was the one who fanned the flames.  If this is all just smoke and no fire, then this will be an egregious abuse of his position.

149838[/snapback]

This sounds like the wise sage that I've heard rumors about. Too bad no one is listening to him...

I'm hoping that the light at the end of Mr. Grenell's tunnel is the same one that Tennessee saw twice this season - that big train that Sir Charles predicted.

Archived