Top AD candidates becoming clearer

WDE_OxPx_2010

Did  I see that Heath Evans is out of consideration  for the AD job ?   ....:(    

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Did  I see that Heath Evans is out of consideration  for the AD job ?   ....:(    

It would seem he is now out of consideration for "jobs" in general.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21745105/marshall-faulk-trio-suspended-nfl-network

You know, sexual harassment is a real issue...but I have a feeling it's the new 'racist,' lately.  Whenever disagreeing with anyone suddenly becomes 'you're a racist,' then the generally accepted standard for what is sexual harassment can be lowered, also.

Evidently, now it's sexual harassment just because someone accuses another of it whether credible or not. 

Pathetic.

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Why would he be a viable candidate, anyway?

Not likely but back in the day when we were arguing over coaches and ADs his name came up....think he might have volunteered or something.   But....and this is JMO ..but this stuff has gone nuts and the serious stuff is masked by some questionable claims. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Michelle get the job yet?

I haven't even seen a projected date.....can't imagine Leath and whoever else makes the decision will wait until June....or even February for that matter.    Schools hire ADs in a couple weeks all the time....of course some of the decisions are not that good but should not take forever to evaluate the available candidates. 

On 12/10/2017 at 8:33 PM, AU64 said:

Some of this discussion really amazes me . The thought that she would be part of some " inner circle " of the athletic department is beyond belief. I mean, this is Auburn....and look who have been the powers behind the throne for all these many years. 

Aside from who  she might be friendly with , her professional career has outstripped everyone she left behind at Auburn . The thought that she would return to Auburn and feel subservient to those still on the staff is beyond my imagination. 

Just my opinion but attempts by people to attribute some kind of "guilt by association" to her is painful and shameful. 

I don't know if she is the best candidate but the arguments against her are plainly pathetic. Sorry for being so blunt but I ran out of patience with some of the explanations for her lack of qualification. 

I’ll reply for post #3. Sorry I’m a newcomer to this site over the past few months. As a 62 year old, I for years lived over in AUSports “the Bunker”.  I have no dog in this fight and I’ll add I like her as a candidate. I’m not trying to spread rumors per se or sling mud. Someone had simply asked a question and I replied she had contact with one when in town. I don’t care. Just sorry I didn’t have a higher post count to be considered nothing more than a troll. Smh. 

7 hours ago, Tiger79 said:

I’ll reply for post #3. Sorry I’m a newcomer to this site over the past few months. As a 62 year old, I for years lived over in AUSports “the Bunker”.  I have no dog in this fight and I’ll add I like her as a candidate. I’m not trying to spread rumors per se or sling mud. Someone had simply asked a question and I replied she had contact with one when in town. I don’t care. Just sorry I didn’t have a higher post count to be considered nothing more than a troll. Smh. 

How does "having contact" affect M-D or SE's qualifications?   That was my point....it cast a negative sounding tone with no basis.  

And we do have folks show up to troll on subjects that interest them ...not seen before and rarely seen afterward...

Welcome to the conversation. ..post more often ?

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

I haven't even seen a projected date.....can't imagine Leath and whoever else makes the decision will wait until June....or even February for that matter.    Schools hire ADs in a couple weeks all the time....of course some of the decisions are not that good but should not take forever to evaluate the available candidates. 

Auburn evaluating the candidates is one thing, it's when the candidates evaluate Auburn and the current state the Athletic Department is in that become a whole other issue.  That will be the time consuming endeavor.

I can't say I remember a time in the history of the AU Athletics that I've ever seen the multiple issues in numerous sports  simultaneously. 

The fact that President Leath had to immediately hire Lightfoot, Franklin, White the moment he stepped on campus and has had them working non-stop on the internal investigation into the AD in multiple sports cases including Title XI claims is alarming to me.  I'm nothing more than an alum and a parent of an AU student that was raised to loved AU.  

Imagine what a potential AD candidate sees and thinks when they view this mess from the outside.  I'd venture to say that a high quality, knowledgeable, experienced candidate will take pause and weigh their options before they jump on this fiery wagon.

"evaluate Auburn"....good point K...it's not a job for the faint hearted at the moment....but as they say...."if it were easy, then anyone could do it".    

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

"evaluate Auburn"....good point K...it's not a job for the faint hearted at the moment....but as they say...."if it were easy, then anyone could do it".    

Sensible, logical, educated people research, investigate, and evaluate the current state of a company before they accept a position of employment. 

In the case of Michelle McKenna-Doyle, she'd be taking an enormous pay cut and would leave a solid position to take on what appears from the outside to be a dumpster fire.  There's no end in sight with the FBI probe , when will it come to an end, will it unearth other "issues" we don't know about, what are the repercussions when the NCAA gets their shot at AU after the FBI finishes??????  Add in the 2-3 other programs that are sorting through allegations and claims of misconduct/mismanagement and this job becomes less appealing.

JMHO

59 minutes ago, keesler said:

Sensible, logical, educated people research, investigate, and evaluate the current state of a company before they accept a position of employment. 

In the case of Michelle McKenna-Doyle, she'd be taking an enormous pay cut and would leave a solid position to take on what appears from the outside to be a dumpster fire.  There's no end in sight with the FBI probe , when will it come to an end, will it unearth other "issues" we don't know about, what are the repercussions when the NCAA gets their shot at AU after the FBI finishes??????  Add in the 2-3 other programs that are sorting through allegations and claims of misconduct/mismanagement and this job becomes less appealing.

JMHO

JMO but perhaps you over estimate the AU situation but if not, perhaps we are lucky to have JJ?

On the other hand, if you have been following the travails of the NFL lately I'm thinking that job is not all roses either if you consider the many a********* owners she probably has some dealings with.

JMO also but any person capable of untangling the current mess is probably already making much more than we would like to pay anyway.    

1 hour ago, keesler said:

NCAA gets their shot at AU after the FBI finishes

Hopefully they won't get a shot. Auburn is doing all of the right things to make sure that when the FBI is done and opens up the books, there is nothing for the NCAA to address. I know people are mad that Wiley and Purifoy aren't playing, but that is very much Auburn keeping the NCAA at bay.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

JMHO

She could ask for/ would be given a very, VERY long leash at AU based on the current situation. 

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

She could ask for/ would be given a very, VERY long leash at AU based on the current situation. 

Whoever gets the job will probably get that....the BOT certainly wants this stuff to go away and get AU out of the spotlight.

Leath:and the BOT hired a top law firm with experience in the various areas under investigation to  help navigate the process. If I were the new AD,  I would let them do their job, mostly stay out of their way and pretty much do what they suggest.

JMO but I can't imagine that BOT or Leath is expecting the new AD to come in with some magic bullet to make this stuff go away.  What's done is done and isn't going to be undone.....will just have to play out however it does.... and Auburn will just have to suffer what ever penalties that get levied.     

I would be looking for someone who gave me confidence that it won't happen again.

Does anybody feel like the relative silence means they are talking with people who are currently ADs elsewhere?  

If I am leading a search or a potential AD I am trying to keep my name out of the news in case I don’t get the job and have to stay at my current school.  

I think the fact that it has been relatively quiet is good news.  If names start leaking people sometimes get spooked when people At their current school (including board members and presidents) start coming up and asking.

26 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Does anybody feel like the relative silence means they are talking with people who are currently ADs elsewhere?  

If I am leading a search or a potential AD I am trying to keep my name out of the news in case I don’t get the job and have to stay at my current school.  

I think the fact that it has been relatively quiet is good news.  If names start leaking people sometimes get spooked when people At their current school (including board members and presidents) start coming up and asking.

I've performed executive searches before and the I didn't even know who the candidates were until the contractor screened and gave me the list.  The names thrown so far out are ones who expressed interest in Auburn and made it publicly known.  Typically executive searches are very discreet.  

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

At the same time, the current situation is getting less negative by the day. Title IX found that Meyers had inappropriate relationships, but was not creating a hostile environment. That one's basically over. Auburn is also doing all of the right things with the FBI investigation, for which they have already said Auburn the victim, not the perpetrator.

All in all, it's not the dumpster fire that some seem to think. I think the bigger issue will be dealing with the boosters who are going to want to keep their hooks in deep, and may not get that with a new AD. If I was interviewing for the job, I'd be making certain that a Fulmer wasn't brewing.

4 hours ago, oldaufeller said:

I've performed executive searches before and the I didn't even know who the candidates were until the contractor screened and gave me the list.  The names thrown so far out are ones who expressed interest in Auburn and made it publicly known.  Typically executive searches are very discreet.  

While you are correct for the most part, it is also quite common in these type searches for candidates to actually be named ( usually a couple at a time) to gauge reaction from the home crowd. As has been discussed, too many times these hires are more about appeasing the crowd ( usually called a “splash” hire) as opposed to actually finding the right person to move the program where it needs to be.

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

At the same time, the current situation is getting less negative by the day. Title IX found that Meyers had inappropriate relationships, but was not creating a hostile environment. That one's basically over. Auburn is also doing all of the right things with the FBI investigation, for which they have already said Auburn the victim, not the perpetrator.

All in all, it's not the dumpster fire that some seem to think. I think the bigger issue will be dealing with the boosters who are going to want to keep their hooks in deep, and may not get that with a new AD. If I was interviewing for the job, I'd be making certain that a Fulmer wasn't brewing.

I think Lion is spot on with this.

22 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Hopefully they won't get a shot. Auburn is doing all of the right things to make sure that when the FBI is done and opens up the books, there is nothing for the NCAA to address. I know people are mad that Wiley and Purifoy aren't playing, but that is very much Auburn keeping the NCAA at bay.

I'm sure Auburn is trying to do everything on their power to stave off the NCAA.  I can't imagine its been a smooth operation when CBP, at the advice of his attorney is resistant to cooperate with Auburn's investigators.  Auburn will need a solid defense to keep the NCAA mongrels away from a case that directly involved an Asst HC, possibly  2 asst coaches, the FBI, and 2 athletes.

34 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm sure Auburn is trying to do everything on their power to stave off the NCAA.  I can't imagine its been a smooth operation when CBP, at the advice of his attorney is resistant to cooperate with Auburn's investigators.  Auburn will need a solid defense to keep the NCAA mongrels away from a case that directly involved an Asst HC, possibly  2 asst coaches, the FBI, and 2 athletes.

Maybe, but based on everything I've read, it didn't have anything to do with recruiting, and as soon as Auburn knew what was going on, they sat the players involved. There's not much else the NCAA could have asked them to do. Also, the FBI has positioned the University as the victim, which bodes well for Auburn.

On top of all of that, there's the fact that Auburn is among a pretty large group of big name schools who are tied up in the same or similar messes, including every school with ties to Adidas, so if the NCAA comes down on one, it would have to come down on all, which would be unprecedented.

Maybe the NCAA will let most of this stuff slide since NCAA basketball is a great deal of their bread 'n butter.  There are definitely some other programs in deeper that Persons/Auburn.

On 12/12/2017 at 3:16 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

You know, sexual harassment is a real issue...but I have a feeling it's the new 'racist,' lately.  Whenever disagreeing with anyone suddenly becomes 'you're a racist,' then the generally accepted standard for what is sexual harassment can be lowered, also.

Evidently, now it's sexual harassment just because someone accuses another of it whether credible or not. 

Pathetic.

I have to take issue with you. I have been around the corporate world for a long time . Sexual harassment has always been out there. It just was ignored by most people. I am a male but I have witnessed it where bosses made rude comments, where men touched women in places they shouldn’t have. But when the issue is raised it is always  “well it’s just boys being boys or locker room talk”. Well it has never been okay nor should have. A lot of guys got away with it but time has turned. I suggest that men start acting like they are supposed to act and respect women like they deserve to be respected. If not I hope your the next one to be outed. I have a daughter and two grand-daughters and I pitty the jerk that ever makes that mistake with them. Off my soapbox.

Archived