More Wal Mart...

Tiger Al

Imagine that you earn $8 an hour working for Wal-Mart. Then, you learn that the store is recruiting workers, at $10 an hour, to convince neighbors and shoppers to vote against a law that would limit the size of "big- box'' stores in unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County, in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Great, you think. I'll apply. But Wal-Mart won't hire its own workers because the corporation isn't sure it's legal to use them to promote a political campaign.

When you realize that Wal-Mart will pay higher wages to those campaigning to keep your wages low, you get angry – which is how I've learned about the Arkansas retailer's countywide plans to repeal the ordinance.

LINK

For some reason I'm beginning to dislike Wally World!

I'm no big fan of WalMart either...but it's not exactly the same to compare wages of workers they'll use for a short period of time and let go once the campaigning is over to workers that are permanent.

You should read the book(s) by Dave Lippman. and if you believe any of the things he has to say about Walmart you would do as I have done and swear off for good. Very informative on how they manipulate local zoning laws and price controls to basically take over the majority of commerce in towns that they have targeted. I know it sounds a little Oliver Stone-ish but they were a good read and I would highly recommend everyone that frequents Walmart on a regular basis to give them a look.

Sorry Dave Lippman is not the author of the book. He is the guy with the satirical songs.

Bill Quinn wrote the book I was mentioning in the above post. It's title is "How Walmart is ruining America and what you can do about it". Sorry for the mixup.

I like Wal-Mart's prices, and as all of you know, I am a capitalist pig :D In saying that, Wal-Mart is destroying the entrpreneurial spirit in a lot of communities across the nation and that is a very bad thing............

Interesting article on Wal-Mart and its effect on the grocery industry:

Stores Follow Wal-Mart's Lead in Labor

Competitors Struggle to Match Savings From Non-Union Workforce

By Greg Schneider  and Dina ElBoghdady

Washington Post Staff Writers

Thursday, November 6, 2003; Page A01     

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- As a young man, Roy Bukrim found a job that seemed better than working in dangerous coal mines like his relatives: He hired on at the Kroger supermarket, where 27 years later he's head night stocker and supports a wife, two kids and a mortgage.

But Bukrim, 48, figures he wouldn't have that career option today. Young people who take a job there now get minimum wage and no health benefits, then leave after a few months. Bukrim said the future that he saw in grocery work no longer exists. "We've been the generation where that's all changed."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A...anguage=printer

I like Wal-Mart's prices, and as all of you know, I am a capitalist pig :D In saying that, Wal-Mart is destroying the entrpreneurial spirit in a lot of communities across the nation and that is a very bad thing............

My dad grew up in a small town in Alabama of about 4000 people that had a thriving little business district with lots of little locally owned shops from women's clothing to toys and men's shoes. When Wal-Mart came in, it killed Main Street. For years, it looked like a ghost town in that area. This was probably 15 years ago or more. Only now is that district somewhat back...odd collections of shops that have assiduously avoided carrying lines that Wal-Mart would likely have. But it's still nothing like it was. Sad.

I'm conflicted when it comes to Wal-Mart. We have a very tight budget with the new baby and Mama staying home. So every penny saved matters. We shop at Wal-Mart for a lot of things because it adds up. But I don't want all the other stores to be run out of business. We need competition and workers do need to be able to make a decent amount to live.

Archived