replacing 4 starters on offensive line

aubiefifty

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I get it, but he's hired just as many coaches not in his tree as he has hired ones that are. I, too, question the hiring of Hand, to this day, but I also get it. They were a successful team once.

Not on the offensive side of the ball.  No one evolves without getting out of his comfort zone.

I also am not a big fan of the Kodi hire, but I get it too. First, Gus loves to give guys a shot like he got one, but second, Kodi was trained from being a QB to being a receiver in Gus's system, so he was going to fit that perfectly. The fact that Chip likes him is what makes me relatively comfortable with him sticking around.

Where would he go?  And if he did go, who would Gus pick up?  The next offensive coaching hire will tell a lot.

I don't see rehiring Grimes as being a weakness at all. He's a known commodity who teaches toughness and fundamentals, the things we need to fix what is broken. It's like many people have said, name an outstanding offensive line coach who was willing to leave where they were that we should have gone after instead.

I never said hiring Grimes is a weakness and I don’t know who was available to name a better replacement, but I’m sure Gus did his due diligence.

I don't care who we get to coach any position, this isn't going to change. Gus believes in run first, and he's shown that it can be very successful when properly executed.

This is one of my concerns, Gus not evolving as the game chances.  Why do we have a pocket passer (Stidham is not a DT or a particularly mobile QB) and some very talented WR’s just to block.  And, of course, the ever popular “properly executed” statement, right out of Gus’ pressers.

To me, that's a HUGE assumption. There could definitely be a drop-off, but it's more likely because we're replacing 3 very good linemen (yea, I know 4, but only 3 were very good and only 2 were great) than because coaching is lacking. I can't recall a single game that we lost because of the line when Grimes was here before... listing them when Hand was coaching would just be depressing.

I’m just expressing my concerns, not making an assumption.  In my last sentence of the post is time will tell.  I’m hoping Auburn has a great season, as always, but the realistist in me has concerns with the OL.  See WDE post earlier, I do enjoy his insight.

This doesn't phase me at all. We've been in that spot plenty of times. No one expected Tre to shock the world in 2013. No one expected Barber to pull our running game from the ashes. No one expected Pettway to be a one-year phenom coming out of the H-Back position. No one (well, very few) expected Kerryon to take the huge step he did this year. We always just reload and the next man up runs for 1000+. That's why I can't understand the undercurrent of Horton hate that seems to be bubbling under the surface of the fan base.

As the season goes on, I believe the RB situation will work out just fine.  However, in the past, it has taken a few games to determine who that RB will be and this season looks to be no different.  The RBs you mentioned did not take over until several games into their seasons and that’s why I made the statement the RB will have to step up early.  If there is a concern, it’s because the coaching staff are still holding tryouts as the season starts.  With starting out of the gate with Washington, that practice just won’t cut it.  JMO.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I get it, but he's hired just as many coaches not in his tree as he has hired ones that are. I, too, question the hiring of Hand, to this day, but I also get it. They were a successful team once.

Not on the offensive side of the ball

Horton, Grimes the first time, Porter, Craig... all on the offensive side of the ball and none in his tree, vs. Hand, Burns, Grimes the second time.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Where would he go?  And if he did go, who would Gus pick up? 

Not our problem. Good question, but it wouldn't be hard to find someone more seasoned. I'm not saying I want him gone, but he's the coach I'm least inclined to be upset if he left, now that Hand is gone.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is one of my concerns, Gus not evolving as the game chances.  Why do we have a pocket passer (Stidham is not a DT or a particularly mobile QB) and some very talented WR’s just to block.  And, of course, the ever popular “properly executed” statement, right out of Gus’ pressers.

That certainly is a concern, if he doesn't evolve at all. You can, however, evolve while still maintaining an identity. The school across the state has how many championships running Saban football? His identity doesn't change even when certain elements of the play on the field do. Even with a run first QB behind center, they were still a power run football team that relied on their backs to do most of the work and their QB to bail them out... just with his feet more than his arm. 

We have a pocket passer because he's a great QB and true dual-threat QBs are hard to come by. Our offense needs someone behind center who can pick-up 3rd and long. We now have 2 guys who are hopefully true dual-threats ready to take the reigns, but you don't kick 3000+ yards to the curb. Last year we were one of if not the most balanced teams in the NCAA, and we were still a run first team.

As for "properly executed", that's football. Ask the players why we struggled in games. They will tell you that people were missing assignments and communication was off. I don't care what scheme you are running, if everyone isn't executing, it isn't going to work.

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

As the season goes on, I believe the RB situation will work out just fine.  However, in the past, it has taken a few games to determine who that RB will be and this season looks to be no different.  The RBs you mentioned did not take over until several games into their seasons and that’s why I made the statement the RB will have to step up early.  If there is a concern, it’s because the coaching staff are still holding tryouts as the season starts.  With starting out of the gate with Washington, that practice just won’t cut it.

I think you are confusing running back with QB. The only reason we've played musical running backs at the beginning of seasons is that they kept getting hurt, which you may have noticed in other threads is a big pet peeve of mine, as I feel it's too common for us.  Our #1 and #2 backs have always been named, pre-season, but the last time that back has stayed healthy early on (or avoided being kicked of the team), that I can recall, is 2014. 

17 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Does anyone consider Lindsey part of the Malzahn coaching seedling? He spent part of a season at Auburn as an offensive analyst.

I think there was a comfort level there for Malzahn, since he already knew our offense from that year of experience and he did weave some of it's philosophy into his own. That being said, he's had far more direct influence from other head coaches for whom he worked on the field. To keep the tree analogy, he's probably on a different tree, but that tree was pollinated by a bee that picked up the pollen from Malzahn's tree.

48 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Does anyone consider Lindsey part of the Malzahn coaching seedling? He spent part of a season at Auburn as an offensive analyst.

30 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think there was a comfort level there for Malzahn, since he already knew our offense from that year of experience and he did weave some of it's philosophy into his own. That being said, he's had far more direct influence from other head coaches for whom he worked on the field. To keep the tree analogy, he's probably on a different tree, but that tree was pollinated by a bee that picked up the pollen from Malzahn's tree.

I guess if we had to get into coaching-tree procreation,

Spring would be the appropriate time.

ETA - Avid "tree-hugger" but would never, ever go further.

And, I'm no "stalker."

20 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I guess if we had to get into coaching-tree procreation,

Spring would be the appropriate time.

ETA - Avid "tree-hugger" but would never, ever go further.

And, I'm no "stalker."

That. Was. Awesome...

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Horton, Grimes the first time, Porter, Craig... all on the offensive side of the ball and none in his tree, vs. Hand, Burns, Grimes the second time.

When you are a rookie coach (other then Arky State) you have to get out of your “coaching tree” to fill the positions.  The hires from then on are interesting.  Hand replaced Grimes, Grimes replaces Hand and Burns replaced Craig.  I should have been more clear.

Not our problem. Good question, but it wouldn't be hard to find someone more seasoned. I'm not saying I want him gone, but he's the coach I'm least inclined to be upset if he left, now that Hand is gone.

That certainly is a concern, if he doesn't evolve at all. You can, however, evolve while still maintaining an identity. The school across the state has how many championships running Saban football? His identity doesn't change even when certain elements of the play on the field do. Even with a run first QB behind center, they were still a power run football team that relied on their backs to do most of the work and their QB to bail them out... just with his feet more than his arm. 

Saban has something going on over there, he is well ahead of most other coaches.  I hope Gus gets there, but he has to evolve to get there. Could you imagine Gus turning the offense over to the likes of Kiffen?

We have a pocket passer because he's a great QB and true dual-threat QBs are hard to come by. Our offense needs someone behind center who can pick-up 3rd and long. We now have 2 guys who are hopefully true dual-threats ready to take the reigns, but you don't kick 3000+ yards to the curb. Last year we were one of if not the most balanced teams in the NCAA, and we were still a run first team.

OK
As for "properly executed", that's football. Ask the players why we struggled in games. They will tell you that people were missing assignments and communication was off. I don't care what scheme you are running, if everyone isn't executing, it isn't going to work.

The “properly executed” comment is a well known excuse Gus uses in his pressers when we get beat.  A little deflecting from Gus.  When the players were asked why we struggled in the LSU game, the offensive players said “We don’t call the plays” (KJ) and “I’m not allowed to audible out of the play called” (Stidham).  Doesn’t sound like the excuse was lack of execution.

I think you are confusing running back with QB. The only reason we've played musical running backs at the beginning of seasons is that they kept getting hurt, which you may have noticed in other threads is a big pet peeve of mine, as I feel it's too common for us.  Our #1 and #2 backs have always been named, pre-season, but the last time that back has stayed healthy early on (or avoided being kicked of the team), that I can recall, is 2014. 

The only time I have been confusing a RB for a QB was when the HB lined up as QB in 2016.  In 2013, the RB position was not settled until the LSU game when Tre stepped up and won the trust of Gus.  In 2014 was one of the few seasons Gus knew who was going to be #1 and thank God he stayed healthy.  Barber didn’t start the season as #1 and it took him a few games to get going (he did win the JSU game for us).  Most people were wondering why certain other RBs didn’t get more playing time.  2016 started with RBs playing QB and nothing was settled even during the season due to injuries.  2017 started with a definite #1 and I thought a definite #1b.  Oh well, this year is up in the air and is my concern starting the season against Washington.

18 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Could you imagine Gus turning the offense over to the likes of Kiffen?

I don't think Saban completely turned his offense over to Kiffen. I think that's part of why they have the combative relationship they have now. I think Gus and Chip are in about the same place Kiffen and Saban were, early on. Hopefully it moves in the direction of Chip getting to add more instead of the direction of Chip ending up at someplace like FAU and Gus looking for someone else to do it his way.

19 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

When the players were asked why we struggled in the LSU game, the offensive players said “We don’t call the plays” (KJ) and “I’m not allowed to audible out of the play called” (Stidham).  Doesn’t sound like the excuse was lack of execution

On the offensive side of the ball, LSU was 100% the coaching staff taking their foot off the gas. Anyone who denies that, ever, well... they need help. If you go to the Clemson game and SEC Championship game, there were several quotes about guys being out of position, missing assignments, etc. I know it's a struggle to believe, but the players do make mistakes and with as many moving parts as our offense has, one mistake can kill a play.

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The only time I have been confusing a RB for a QB was when the HB lined up as QB in 2016.  In 2013, the RB position was not settled until the LSU game when Tre stepped up and won the trust of Gus.  In 2014 was one of the few seasons Gus knew who was going to be #1 and thank God he stayed healthy.  Barber didn’t start the season as #1 and it took him a few games to get going (he did win the JSU game for us).  Most people were wondering why certain other RBs didn’t get more playing time.  2016 started with RBs playing QB and nothing was settled even during the season due to injuries.  2017 started with a definite #1 and I thought a definite #1b.  Oh well, this year is up in the air and is my concern starting the season against Washington.

2013 was supposed to be a dual back system with Tre and CAP (you know, that thing that everyone has been calling for for the last several seasons when our #2 or 1b was hurt), Tre took over the majority of the carries because he had the hot legs (understatement), and let's face it, no one would have wanted it any different. 2014 was CAP all the way as we didn't have another every down back that wasn't a freshman (As was his tendency... hopefully no more, Gus didn't plan for Tre to go early). 2015 was SUPPOSED to be 5* Juco transfer Robinson and 5* Sophomore Roc Thomas, but Robinson had his issues (both with drive/attitude, per Horton, and off the field antics), and both got hurt, in Roc's case, frequently, leaving it to Barber who had work ethic in spades. In 2016 a healthy Robinson with a new attitude was supposed to be the guy and he got his butt kicked off the team (so much for that new attitude). Roc proved to be too fragile to be an every down guy and quit when they tried to make more of a slot guy (funny thing is that Draft reports say that's pretty much what he should be and also say he still hasn't put on the weight he needs to stay healthy). Kerryon was #2 and supposed to jump in but got hurt... thus Kam. This year is was the Kerryon and Kam show, and both got hurt at one point or another. 

On 2/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, aubiefifty said:

And before someone posts "what about Kevin Steele".  Kevin Steele was hired after LSU wanted to fire him after one season and to Steele's credit he has tried to continue what Will Muschamp instilled in our D (after only only season with Muschamp as DC).  Steele gets credit for (IMO) continue the Muschamp influence, but I am concerned based on critical situations that Steele is not up to the task.  I welcome to be proved wrong other than insults.

Muschamp must be the coach of all coaches. He was here one year and our defense was better but not great. Then next two years under Steele we were great and it is all because of Muschamp. You say when you see results you will give credit. Last two years we saw results give Steele his due.

As LionheartC said I meant to quote AUIH1and some how made it look like aubiefifty. I apologize. I am not sure how I did it so I can't fix it.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Muschamp must be the coach of all coaches. He was here one year and our defense was better but not great. Then next two years under Steele we were great and it is all because of Muschamp. You say when you see results you will give credit. Last two years we saw results give Steele his due.

Not sure how @aubiefifty got quoted for something AUIH1 said, but you might want to see if you can fix that.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not sure how @aubiefifty got quoted for something AUIH1 said, but you might want to see if you can fix that.

Thank you I am not sure how I did it either. But I did add a line explaining it..

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As LionheartC said I meant to quote AUIH1and some how made it look like aubiefifty. I apologize. I am not sure how I did it so I can't fix it.

no worries...............

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

2013 was supposed to be a dual back system with Tre and CAP (you know, that thing that everyone has been calling for for the last several seasons when our #2 or 1b was hurt), Tre took over the majority of the carries because he had the hot legs (understatement), and let's face it, no one would have wanted it any different. 2014 was CAP all the way as we didn't have another every down back that wasn't a freshman (As was his tendency... hopefully no more, Gus didn'to plan for Tre to go early). 2015 was SUPPOSED to be 5* Juco transfer Robinson and 5* Sophomore Roc Thomas, but Robinson had his issues (both with drive/attitude, per Horton, and off the field antics), and both got hurt, in Roc's case, frequently, leaving it to Barber who had work ethic in spades. In 2016 a healthy Robinson with a new attitude was supposed to be the guy and he got his butt kicked off the team (so much for that new attitude). Roc proved to be too fragile to be an every down guy and quit when they tried to make more of a slot guy (funny thing is that Draft reports say that's pretty much what he should be and also say he still hasn't put on the weight he needs to stay healthy). Kerryon was #2 and supposed to jump in but got hurt... thus Kam. This year is was the Kerryon and Kam show, and both got hurt at one point or another. 

So, given this history you don’t understand the concern I have with the OL and RB for the first game against Washington?

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, given this history you don’t understand the concern I have with the OL and RB for the first game against Washington?

I get your concern with the line, since it's being rebuilt, but given the running back history I presented, coupled with the fact that every one of those years we still had a 1000 yard back and more often then not led the SEC... I don't see the concern.

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I get your concern with the line, since it's being rebuilt, but given the running back history I presented, coupled with the fact that every one of those years we still had a 1000 yard back and more often then not led the SEC... I don't see the concern.

I mentioned before that as the season goes on, I believe the RB position will work itself out, I’m only concerned about the period it usually takes for someone to distance himself from the pack.  It usually doesn’t happen during Spring and Fall camps.  I also believe that as the season goes on the OL will develop to be serviceable, but the Washington game is a concern.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I mentioned before that as the season goes on, I believe the RB position will work itself out, I’m only concerned about the period it usually takes for someone to distance himself from the pack.  It usually doesn’t happen during Spring and Fall camps.  I also believe that as the season goes on the OL will develop to be serviceable, but the Washington game is a concern.

Here's our first game production on the ground since 2013... (note: the only one of those years we opened against a cupcake was 2017)

2013 – 297 yards (only 27 were Nick)
2014 – 302 yards (only 19 were Nick)
2015 – 190 yards (both Thomas and Robinson went out with injuries, Thomas after 6 carries and Robinson after 2)
2016 – 87 yards... we all know why and it wasn't trying to find a starting back... game 2 - 462 yards
2017 – 351 yards

So, under this staff, our worst early season rushing production, outside of the worst coached game in the history of SEC football, was 190 yards. I just don't see what you are seeing.

I also think just because of Grime's focus on fundamentals and toughness, that the O-Line, while not polished, will be more ready to start game 1 than they have been since he left.  I agree they will get better as the year goes on and hope they become far more than serviceable. The athleticism is there, we just need to focus it.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Here's our first game production on the ground since 2013... (note: the only one of those years we opened against a cupcake was 2017)

2013 – 297 yards (only 27 were Nick)
2014 – 302 yards (only 19 were Nick)
2015 – 190 yards (both Thomas and Robinson went out with injuries, Thomas after 6 carries and Robinson after 2)
2016 – 87 yards... we all know why and it wasn't trying to find a starting back... game 2 - 462 yards
2017 – 351 yards

So, under this staff, our worst early season rushing production, outside of the worst coached game in the history of SEC football, was 190 yards. I just don't see what you are seeing.

I also think just because of Grime's focus on fundamentals and toughness, that the O-Line, while not polished, will be more ready to start game 1 than they have been since he left.  I agree they will get better as the year goes on and hope they become far more than serviceable. The athleticism is there, we just need to focus it.

Slightly skewed when you look at the variation of quality of the DLs. Obviously 2016 was by far the strongest. Unknown as to how strong UDub's is.

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Slightly skewed when you look at the variation of quality of the DLs. Obviously 2016 was by far the strongest. Unknown as to how strong UDub's is.

Sure... there are always a pile of variables that go into the performance in any game, but it still pretty definitively shows that running back is one position on our team that doesn't take 2-4 games to get solidified. When our game plan isn't almost a literal circus (lets' be honest, it didn't matter how good the DL was in 2016), we get yards, even when we lose 1 or 2 starters in or before game 1.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sure... there are always a pile of variables that go into the performance in any game, but it still pretty definitively shows that running back is one position on our team that doesn't take 2-4 games to get solidified. When our game plan isn't almost a literal circus (lets' be honest, it didn't matter how good the DL was in 2016), we get yards, even when we lose 1 or 2 starters in or before game 1.

Appreciate you looking up those numbers. I was wondering the same thing. As in, yeah, we might take a minute to truly pick the starter, but I don't know how much that matters.

Now, just having no idea what the offense is... that's a different story. I think. And even that's only happened once. And the other times where we weren't 100% sure, I don't mind chalking it up to lots of that new-new, because *that's what Gus has had almost every season. No excuse this season, even with the retooled OL and RBs. New guys there will compromise execution and chemistry at first, they shouldn't compromise our offensive identity. Shouldn't be too much more of a drop-off than there was from '13 to '14. 

*As for Gus's role in the lack of consistency in the roster, that's up for debate, and not a debate I'm interested in here. We can pick that up if and when one of our star players leaves for undisclosed reasons again. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Now, just having no idea what the offense is... that's a different story. I think. And even that's only happened once. And the other times where we weren't 100% sure, I don't mind chalking it up to lots of that new-new, because *that's what Gus has had almost every season. No excuse this season, even with the retooled OL and RBs. New guys there will compromise execution and chemistry at first, they shouldn't compromise our offensive identity. Shouldn't be too much more of a drop-off than there was from '13 to '14. 

Totally agree with one caveat. Sadly, Hand leaving this year won't benefit us at all if it's proven that he didn't bring in the talent we need to compete. I'm optimistic, but at the same time not ready to put my neck out there and say the O-Line won't be our eventual downfall in 2018, even with toughness and better teaching of technique. There are too many unknowns on the roster and we also have to count on 100% buy-in, which can be even harder to get from guys you didn't recruit. I look at Braums, Tega, and Ashley learning from Grimes and I see the making of something good to great, but I also know that none of those three have proven they can do it, yet.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for Gus's role in the lack of consistency in the roster, that's up for debate, and not a debate I'm interested in here.

I don't think that is up for debate. That has very obviously been one of the keys of his learning curve. He had/has a bad habit of failing to prepare for players to get hurt/leave early/get kicked off the team/etc when it came to recruiting. It goes all of the way back to when he was our OC and built everything around Cam staying for 2 years and mentoring Frazier. I get it... he came from high school, where he got players for 4 years no matter what, and spent the majority of his pre-Auburn time in college coaching for schools that aren't exactly known for early exit talent... and he had a ton of holes to fill that were left by the previous staffs...  but it definitely took him a while to figure out that you better have 2+ quality backups at every key position.

It seems like he's figured that out, but only time will tell if he really has.

Sorry for rambling where you weren't interested, but I wanted to explain more than "I think we believe the same thing in that regard".

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Thinking about the QB merry go round we had makes me appreciate the three guys we have now. We would have killed to have any of them on our roster two years ago! I’ve predicted a losing season twice in my life, and that was one of them.

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Totally agree with one caveat. Sadly, Hand leaving this year won't benefit us at all if it's proven that he didn't bring in the talent we need to compete. I'm optimistic, but at the same time not ready to put my neck out there and say the O-Line won't be our eventual downfall in 2018, even with toughness and better teaching of technique. There are too many unknowns on the roster and we also have to count on 100% buy-in, which can be even harder to get from guys you didn't recruit. I look at Braums, Tega, and Ashley learning from Grimes and I see the making of something good to great, but I also know that none of those three have proven they can do it, yet.

Grimes did recruit the two guys who are going to have to carry the unit- Horton and Harrell- and there's a chance that another guy he recruited, Kim, is our starting center. 

But I think we're getting off track. My point was that we are not going to be trying to figure out what our QB can or cannot do, and Gus shouldn't be having to figure out how to work with his subordinates. The trust is there. They know what they want to do, and how they want to do it. Or at least they should. Yes, a bad OL will change big plans in a hurry, but Gus should at least be able to think about plans B and C this offseason, whereas in most offseasons he hasn't really fully conceived a plan A. 

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Thinking about the QB merry go round we had makes me appreciate the three guys we have now. We would have killed to have any of them on our roster two years ago! I’ve predicted a losing season twice in my life, and that was one of them.

I hear you... Snagging Willis was very likely one of the best recruiting moves we've seen in the Malzahn era. I love having a guy back there who isn't mad because he's not starting but is good enough that, when we need him, he can deliver.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But I think we're getting off track. My point was that we are not going to be trying to figure out what our QB can or cannot do, and Gus shouldn't be having to figure out how to work with his subordinates. The trust is there. They know what they want to do, and how they want to do it. Or at least they should. Yes, a bad OL will change big plans in a hurry, but Gus should at least be able to think about plans B and C this offseason, whereas in most offseasons he hasn't really fully conceived a plan A. 

Yea... totally with you. In fact, I had that conversation with someone else a few weeks ago. This is 2014, not 2015-17. We should see Gus at his best, and this time with Steele holding up the defenses end of the deal.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Grimes did recruit the two guys who are going to have to carry the unit- Horton and Harrell- and there's a chance that another guy he recruited, Kim, is our starting center. 

I have 0 concern about Horton and Harrell. We know they can do the job. If you believe WDE, Kim won't be our starting center. Everything I'm hearing is Brahms is the next man up. My biggest concern, to be honest, is Ashley. I hope he's not the next Cowart.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I have 0 concern about Horton and Harrell. We know they can do the job. If you believe WDE, Kim won't be our starting center. Everything I'm hearing is Brahms is the next man up. My biggest concern, to be honest, is Ashley. I hope he's not the next Cowart.

I wouldn't worry about Ashley. 

We'll see about Kim. It's unlikely, sure, but he was a bit time recruit, he's in the mix and different guys respond to different coaches. I'm not going to write him off based off what anyone here says. 

Archived