replacing 4 starters on offensive line

aubiefifty

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wouldn't worry about Ashley. 

We'll see about Kim. It's unlikely, sure, but he was a bit time recruit, he's in the mix and different guys respond to different coaches. I'm not going to write him off based off what anyone here says. 

Be more like Loof... be more like Loof...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Here's our first game production on the ground since 2013... (note: the only one of those years we opened against a cupcake was 2017)

2013 – 297 yards (only 27 were Nick)
2014 – 302 yards (only 19 were Nick)
2015 – 190 yards (both Thomas and Robinson went out with injuries, Thomas after 6 carries and Robinson after 2)
2016 – 87 yards... we all know why and it wasn't trying to find a starting back... game 2 - 462 yards
2017 – 351 yards.

As my broker says: “past performance does not reflect future earnings”.  Each team and each season is different. 

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Totally agree with one caveat. Sadly, Hand leaving this year won't benefit us at all if it's proven that he didn't bring in the talent we need to compete. I'm optimistic, but at the same time not ready to put my neck out there and say the O-Line won't be our eventual downfall in 2018, even with toughness and better teaching of technique. There are too many unknowns on the roster and we also have to count on 100% buy-in, which can be even harder to get from guys you didn't recruit. I look at Braums, Tega, and Ashley learning from Grimes and I see the making of something good to great, but I also know that none of those three have proven they can do it, yet.

So, you do have concerns.  Good to know.

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, you do have concerns.  Good to know.

Yea... I told you I had concerns about the line at least once. I just don't have concerns at running back.

These guys need a LOT of work together as a unit so the sooner we name a starting OL the better. All this "mixing and matching" stuff is fine but there is a downside to it when a young starting OL needs work together. I'm just glad we have a coach like Grimes that teaches the details and fundamentals.

Quoting @I_M4_AU, above " As my broker says: “past performance does not reflect future earnings”.  Each team and each season is different.  Yes, but you've based your entire position on prior performance, or what you perceived it to be. When the numbers don't match up you can hardly fall back on this.

So mixing and matching helped us because we had so many injuries but it may also have hurt us getting our best unit to gel, correct? What would be the better of the 2 options there?

We have been weirdly fortunate to have guys injured on the OL the last 2 years (uh, does this even make sense?) to force Hand to put the best lineup out there and the mixing and matching really was to our benefit.

35 minutes ago, Tiger said:

So mixing and matching helped us because we had so many injuries but it may also have hurt us getting our best unit to gel, correct? What would be the better of the 2 options there?

Considering we mostly have young players with out much starting experience, if it was my choice I would go with finding the best starting five and get them as much time together to gel as a unit. But continue to develop the second team so they would be ready if called upon.

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

We have been weirdly fortunate to have guys injured on the OL the last 2 years (uh, does this even make sense?) to force Hand to put the best lineup out there and the mixing and matching really was to our benefit.

7 hours ago, kd4au said:

Considering we mostly have young players with out much starting experience, if it was my choice I would go with finding the best starting five and get them as much time together to gel as a unit. But continue to develop the second team so they would be ready if called upon.

Yes, Hand had the luxury of several seasoned players he could move around and still maintain a functioning unit. Even then it didn't work every time. Grimes has to get these young guys assigned to their best positions and getting experience so they can function as a cohesive unit. 

I believe if Hamm can step up and take the RG position, this line has a chance to be really good. It would give us an experienced center (very important) and some talented players across the board.  

28 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

I believe if Hamm can step up and take the RG position, this line has a chance to be really good. It would give us an experienced center (very important) and some talented players across the board.  

I rather a center step up and leave Horton at Guard.

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I rather a center step up and leave Horton at Guard.

That's my thought, too. Let's keep the good things going if we can. And good guard play seems to be crucial in this offense. 

Archived