Paul Ryan will not seek re-election

AUDub

This is a big one. 

https://www.axios.com/paul-ryan-not-running-reelection-retirement-8b5c598b-bcdf-46ca-a7d9-7206c2f3fdb5.html

Speaker Paul Ryan told House Republicans this morning that he will not run for re-election in November.

Why it matters: House Republicans were already in a very tough spot for the midterms, with many endangered members and the good chance that Democrats could win the majority. 

One of Washington’s best-wired Republicans said: 

“This is a Titanic, tectonic shift. … This is going to make every Republican donor believe the House can’t be held.” The announcement will help Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) in his fundraising because “the Senate becomes the last bastion," the Republican said.

Statement from Brendan Buck, counselor to Speaker Ryan:

“This morning Speaker Ryan shared with his colleagues that this will be his last year as a member of the House. He will serve out his full term, run through the tape, and then retire in January. After nearly twenty years in the House, the speaker is proud of all that has been accomplished and is ready to devote more of his time to being a husband and a father. While he did not seek the position, he told his colleagues that serving as speaker has been the professional honor of his life, and he thanked them for the trust they placed in him. He will discuss his decision at a press conference immediately following the member meeting."

33 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Good. The man has failed on repeatedly, including on healthcare. He operated on the excuse that "republicans just need more power," and when his wish finally came true, he could not perform. I think, like many in DC, he usually was all talk. Only this time, what he thought would never happen, happened, and true colors came to surface. 

I just realized who defaults to being the leading R to replace Ryan. Paul flipping Nehlen. A white nationalist so extreme he was banned from Gab for his bull****. Rs are surely going to drum up a proper candidate soon, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Be pretty funny if he won the R primary though.

Paul Ryan is smart enough to know which way the wind is blowing.  If fact, that's about all you can say for him.  He's unprincipled without a backbone but he knows to jump from a sinking ship. 

This sums it up well:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/paul-ryan-legacy-trump_us_5ace4180e4b0648767761deb

Paul Ryan’s Real Legacy: Donald Trump

All numbers led to him losing.  Sold his principles and values.  Tariffs F farmers, district is becoming more diverse.  Most important again he sold his beliefs for a tax cut.  Which really hurts his constituents.

10 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Good. The man has failed on repeatedly, including on healthcare. He operated on the excuse that "republicans just need more power," and when his wish finally came true, he could not perform. I think, like many in DC, he usually was all talk. Only this time, what he thought would never happen, happened, and true colors came to surface. 

I think trying to get the his caucus to coalesce around an actionable agenda is tantamount to herding cats. 

36 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Paul Ryan is smart enough to know which way the wind is blowing.  If fact, that's about all you can say for him.  He's unprincipled without a backbone but he knows to jump from a sinking ship. 

This sums it up well:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/paul-ryan-legacy-trump_us_5ace4180e4b0648767761deb

Paul Ryan’s Real Legacy: Donald Trump

He did not want the job from day one. Could be that he simply wants to do something else.

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

He did not want the job from day one. Could be that he simply wants to do something else.

Which job did he not want?

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Speaker. 

Yeah. I think it’s pretty clear he’s rather be the guy crafting legislation than herding the proverbial cats. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Yeah. I think it’s pretty clear he’s rather be the guy crafting legislation than herding the proverbial cats. 

and it might be he would rather do neither

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

*He’s not running for reelection. 

Beyond that... wild guess

He’s probably just gonna relax and enjoy his entitlements. 

9 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Great. Even though not a fan, he Worked hard to get where he got

He used what he refers to as entitlements to get everything he got. He spent years bashing said entitlements now he’ll live comfortably on entitlements. He’s a hypocrite. Piss on him. 

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

He used what he refers to as entitlements to get everything he got. He spent years bashing said entitlements now he’ll live comfortably on entitlements. He’s a hypocrite. Piss on him. 

My gosh. This isn’t even worthy of debate. 

5 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So he wants to be a staffer?

Put it this way: he’d rather have remained a cipher of the Club for Growth’s agenda than a cat herder. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Image may contain: text

So in your eyes, any Congressmen who supports entitlement reform, but then receives a pension under constitutional federal statutory law, is a hypocrite and should be “pissed on”?

Or just him?

12 hours ago, auburnphan said:

All numbers led to him losing.  Sold his principles and values.  Tariffs F farmers, district is becoming more diverse.  Most important again he sold his beliefs for a tax cut.  Which really hurts his constituents.

I would like to hear the argument that tax cuts hurt his constituents.

Archived