Dr. Oz is a quack. Now Trump’s appointing him to be a health adviser.

AUDub

Son of a bitch.

We'll give the children raspberry ketones and they'll live forever!

If you’ve wondered whatever happened to the snake oil–peddling celebrity physician Dr. Oz, and whether he’s still going strong, look no further than this news nugget today: President Donald Trump just announced he’ll appoint Oz to his Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition.

Along with other sports and health celebrities — including the New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick — Oz is expected to serve on the council, created in 1956 with the aim of promoting “regular physical activity and good nutrition.”

According to Axios, the administration is concerned that “youth sports participation has declined over the last decade, particularly among young girls and children from economically distressed communities.” And of all the health experts to turn to, the president chose Oz.

Trump did this presumably not only because he has a penchant for celebrity and showmanship, both of which Dr. Oz has in droves. He did this because, despite Oz’s years of misuses and abuses of science, his years of misleading the public on health, Oz remains “America’s doctor.”

As I wrote after Oz gave the candidate Trump a surreal, made-for-TV physical exam in 2016, the men have something in common: They are the personification of bullshitting to the public, of getting away with bullshitting to the public, and of profiting from it.

Oz is still selling magazines. He’s still selling books. He’s nearly a decade into his highly popular TV show. And now he’s been validated once again — by the highest office in the land. That should make us uneasy.

I mean, dammit, if only we had medical doctors that focused on pediatric health, perhaps they would be a better fit for such council. One day, maybe. One day...

I am starting to expect the appointment of Kevin Trudeau to some sort of health advisory role.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

A country run by dips**ts.

David started a thread a few months back addressing Oprah's potential run for office. One of my chief points of opposition was her pushing of pseudoscience. I worried she would legitimize people like Mehmet Oz, who is actually one of her creations. 

With this administration, we get the worst of both worlds. 

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Could have been worse. He wasn't appointed Surgeon General.

Only because Trump thinks that's a military position. 

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Could have been worse. He wasn't appointed Surgeon General.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know the difference.

3 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Can't even begin to justify that move

It's crank magnetism

Too many kids dont eat balanced meal now on acct of quacks prescribing speed.........now dr oz is going to peddle his snake oil?

This is just nuts. I mean look at the council..... but he did appoint Misty May Treanor. You know what happens when you mix that name with the internet.... yup!

maybutt.jpg

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

This is just nuts. I mean look at the council..... but he did appoint Misty May Treanor. You know what happens when you mix that name with the internet.... yup!

maybutt.jpg

Nice uni.  But I'd prefer navy with orange trim.

9 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

maybutt.jpg

Turns out I know exactly what it takes to forgive a poorly done tattoo. 

Archived