what happened to stat?

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

I don't see why starting would make that big of a difference.  Backups can still get a lot of valuable game experience (e.g., Nick Coe last year).  Of course, there is a difference between game experience on special teams and game experience on offense and defense.  Likewise, there is a difference in playing 'meaningful' snaps (i.e., where the outcome is still in question) and snaps  when the outcome is largely decided.  I guess my point is that we'd have to look a little deeper into the  game experience that a player has gotten to determine whether he would count as one of 'the 20' or 'the 30'. 

Fair point. Looking at our DL rotation, it almost doesn't even matter who starts. But the formula is what it is, and I don't think we're going to see the number of players getting actual starts change that much. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting question, although I think it's based on starts, so it might not change too much.

If it's based on starts, that's no good for Auburn, based on this rule. Auburn only has about 9-10 guys with double digit starts and only a handful with 20+ starts. I think games played is more likely how it's determined. That's the number I used to try and mimic what Stat did.

12 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

With the new Freshman can play four games before requiring a RS,.  I wonder how that changes the 20/10 rule in the coming years.  

24 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I don't see why starting would make that big of a difference.  Backups can still get a lot of valuable game experience (e.g., Nick Coe last year).  Of course, there is a difference between game experience on special teams and game experience on offense and defense.  Likewise, there is a difference in playing 'meaningful' snaps (i.e., where the outcome is still in question) and snaps  when the outcome is largely decided.  I guess my point is that we'd have to look a little deeper into the  game experience that a player has gotten to determine whether he would count as one of 'the 20' or 'the 30'. 

16 minutes ago, boomstick said:

If it's based on starts, that's no good for Auburn, based on this rule. Auburn only has about 9-10 guys with double digit starts and only a handful with 20+ starts. I think games played is more likely how it's determined. That's the number I used to try and mimic what Stat did.

Apologies, all. Not sure how I got it in my head that starts were required. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Don't worry. I did the same thing at first. I only know the starts stats because I looked them up thinking that's what the rule was about. When I saw the results of the digging, I went back and checked because we weren't anywhere close to that 20-10 rule. And then I realized it just said game experience, which I read as participation. So I re-calculated everything.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're good.  I'm sure a standard could be developed based on number of starts, too, that would be telling.  Too bad @StatTiger's not around to work that out for us. ;)

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

You're good.  I'm sure a standard could be developed based on number of starts, too, that would be telling.  Too bad @StatTiger's not around to work that out for us. ;)

Maybe if we tag @StatTiger enough he'll come back...

41 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I am no @StatTiger. BeerTiger...maybe.

No offense to Stat, but that makes you more popular in my book...

Archived