what happened to stat?

aubiefifty

did he move on to bigger and better things? i read where he tweeted about worm running a kick or punt return after the two's and three's scrimmage. is he not going to post with us this year? i remember one cat calling him on some of his stats last year. i miss him and enjoyed most of his insights......thanx for any info.

3 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

If I recall he normally only post through the season. I may be wrong. 

he usually makes an appearance before now the best i can remember. but him tweeting stuff from the last scrimmage and not being on aufam just seems unusual to me. shrugs

He has this formula, which I forget each year by the way, that is about as accurate as you can get to determine what kind of season we are about to have. Something about having X number of players meeting a certain number of starts and it's tiered down from there. I'd love to know what our numbers are like this year. I imagine the numbers would say we are in line for a good to very good season, but our experience numbers most likely are just shy of showing a "great" season on the horizon.

Good thing for us is that we have a stud at QB and having that in your back pocket can really hide some deficiencies. Only problem is one of our potential deficiencies is our OL, so if they don't play well it won't matter who our QB is.

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He has this formula, which I forget each year by the way, that is about as accurate as you can get to determine what kind of season we are about to have. Something about having X number of players meeting a certain number of starts and it's tiered down from there. I'd love to know what our numbers are like this year. I imagine the numbers would say we are in line for a good to very good season, but our experience numbers most likely are just shy of showing a "great" season on the horizon.

Good thing for us is that we have a stud at QB and having that in your back pocket can really hide some deficiencies. Only problem is one of our potential deficiencies is our OL, so if they don't play well it won't matter who our QB is.

Holding out hope we get that analysis from him. I'd do it myself if I remembered the formula, lol. 

Agree that we're likely shy of the experience our best teams have had, but like you said, our QB plus this defense might tip the scales. (We won't discuss the wet blanket that is our schedule...)

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Holding out hope we get that analysis from him. I'd do it myself if I remembered the formula, lol. 

Agree that we're likely shy of the experience our best teams have had, but like you said, our QB plus this defense might tip the scales. (We won't discuss the wet blanket that is our schedule...)

tenor (2).gif

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Right, our front 7 is going to be absolutely filthy which would make up for some of our lack of experience in the back and of course we all know what a star QB can do.

Schedule is tough, of course, but we can still navigate it. Winning the UW game will be huge in giving us some margin for error in SEC play. I think the CFP committee respects our schedule enough to where we were in the conversation last year even with 2 losses. Really we just need to be in a position to be playing for the west come November.

Ugh, I hate that Jimbo is at TAMU now. He's going to do some damage in the SECW over there. Probably sooner rather than later, they'd been recruiting really well under Sumlin and now have upgraded at HC...

On 11/30/2011 at 11:44 AM, StatTiger said:

the 20-10 rule, which has been successful in the past. The "20-10" rule means that Auburn will be close to having at least 20 players with 20 games of experience and 10 players with at least 30 games of experience.

Note that the previous teams that met the "20-10" rule, compiled a record of 47-5 and the 4 teams that did not are currently 29-21.

This was his post from a few years back that explains the 20-10 rule.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

the 20-10 rule, which has been successful in the past. The "20-10" rule means that Auburn will be close to having at least 20 players with 20 games of experience and 10 players with at least 30 games of experience.

Note that the previous teams that met the "20-10" rule, compiled a record of 47-5 and the 4 teams that did not are currently 29-21.

There used to be a saying "Count on one loss for every freshman you have to start". This pretty much bears that out. It also explains why "play the most talented regardless of experience" doesn't turn out very well.

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thanks. I'll run through it tomorrow if nobody else does before then.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There used to be a saying "Count on one loss for every freshman you have to start". This pretty much bears that out. It also explains why "play the most talented regardless of experience" doesn't turn out very well.

Pat Dye has said that before about the freshmen-to-loss ratio.

I've seen him post on another forum, but his post was a VIP post. Makes me thing he has taken his postings elsewhere... 

I could be wrong and he could post on here tomorrow, but I know I've seen him post on another site that I wasn't able to see his post since I refuse to pay for any of those pay sites. 

Especially when I get just as good info here as I would there. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. I'll run through it tomorrow if nobody else does before then.

By my quick count, we are below the 20-10 mark. We sit at 16-8 respectively, and realistically at 14-8 with injuries to Hastings and Stove. All my stats came from a quick look at Auburn’s official roster page on my phone. So, I’m sure I messed something up. 

15 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

By my quick count, we are below the 20-10 mark. We sit at 16-8 respectively, and realistically at 14-8 with injuries to Hastings and Stove. All my stats came from a quick look at Auburn’s official roster page on my phone. So, I’m sure I messed something up. 

Many thanks, friend! That seems about right. I'm actually encouraged that we're that close to the 10, even if we're further away from the 20. Did that include Driscoll?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Many thanks, friend! That seems about right. I'm actually encouraged that we're that close to the 10, even if we're further away from the 20. Did that include Driscoll?

That it did. His stats came in at 20 games. There are a lot of young guys that are gonna top that mark this year. We “should” be well over that mark next year. *brain quivers a bit*

Edit....well maybe not “well” over...I can’t math and crystal ball good.

27 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That it did. His stats came in at 20 games. There are a lot of young guys that are gonna top that mark this year. We “should” be well over that mark next year. *brain quivers a bit*

Edit....well maybe not “well” over...I can’t math and crystal ball good.

Sweet

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

did he move on to bigger and better things? i read where he tweeted about worm running a kick or punt return after the two's and three's scrimmage. is he not going to post with us this year? i remember one cat calling him on some of his stats last year. i miss him and enjoyed most of his insights......thanx for any info.

I thought he moved on to take over ESPN...along with Wade Christopher...just sayin.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

If that rule holds true this year, we might be on the bad end of it. By my count, we have 21 players with 20+ games experience (22 if you count Driscoll), but we only have 8 with 30+ games playing experience. But we have two guys with 27 and 28 games. So we’re right on the borderline. We also have three guys (Stidham, Dean, and Coe) who played all 14 games last year and are expected to be significant contributors this year.  

11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

With the new Freshman can play four games before requiring a RS,.  I wonder how that changes the 20/10 rule in the coming years.  

Interesting question, although I think it's based on starts, so it might not change too much.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting question, although I think it's based on starts, so it might not change too much.

I don't see why starting would make that big of a difference.  Backups can still get a lot of valuable game experience (e.g., Nick Coe last year).  Of course, there is a difference between game experience on special teams and game experience on offense and defense.  Likewise, there is a difference in playing 'meaningful' snaps (i.e., where the outcome is still in question) and snaps  when the outcome is largely decided.  I guess my point is that we'd have to look a little deeper into the  game experience that a player has gotten to determine whether he would count as one of 'the 20' or 'the 30'. 

Archived