***FINAL: AU 21 UW 16 — Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

One thing that I thought is amazing is the stretch we have gone through dating back to last year. This was a quote by Chris Low from ESPN: "Auburn's 21-16 win over Washington on Saturday was the Tigers' fifth game against a top-10 team in their last six outings going back to last season. Auburn owns wins during that stretch over No. 1 Georgia, No. 1 Alabama and No. 6 Washington and didn't allow more than 17 points in any of those three wins." I know we can't look back at last year but to have a stretch where you play #1, 1, 6, 10, and 6 and go 3-2 is a solid stretch. Another thing that others have already alluded to is that Washington was the #5 defense last year and #1 in rushing defense with 9 returning starters and we ran for 147 against that, no small feat. This game will prepare us very well for thUGA and the turds down the stretch. I think putting up 420 on that defense is amazing, just need to finish drives in the end zone. If we would have done that Saturday things could have gotten out of hand with our defense taking care of business. 

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Had to get a freaking tua mention in there..I'm at my wit's end with this crap.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Had to get a freaking tua mention in there..I'm at my wit's end with this crap.

Talk about damning with faint praise....notice the words  "finally" ….and "barely" in the headlines under the picture of that cover story ?   . Who wrote that crap and was it for the Tuscaloosa News or something  ?   

22 hours ago, corchjay said:

What’s crazy to think about is as much complaining about the coaching.  Malzahn out coached Chris Petersen.  Think about that!!!

Esp those 2-point attempts. Those were beauts.

Personally I found the whole "MB is cursed for Auburn" meme overplayed--we were completely out of gas after the IB and then we didn't want to be there against a team treating it like its Super Bowl.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Talk about damning with faint praise....notice the words  "finally" ….and "barely" in the headlines under the picture of that cover story ?   . Who wrote that crap and was it for the Tuscaloosa News or something  ?   

Montgomery Adviser at the top

53 minutes ago, homersapien said:

From CBS sports write up:

Auburn's offense was dreadful Saturday afternoon against the Huskies. The offensive line -- the biggest question mark heading into the season -- was an abject disaster, which hampered drive after drive for coach Gus Malzahn.

Seems a little overstated to me and rather dismissive of Washington's defense.

For the CBS writer to state, essentially, that 420 yards total offense and 21 points against the number 6 team in the country is dreadful appears to be written by someone with an agenda.  And, obviously, it was a win!

13 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Esp those 2-point attempts. Those were beauts.

Great call poor execution.  Willis had a wide open uncovered receiver in the endzone.  Pop pass boom 2 pts.  My guess would be it’s probably been rep’d 30-40 times this fall.  

I like aggressive Gus.  Last year on the 4th and 1 after being stuffed on the 3rd and 1 we would have just punted it away.  

Looks to me like he’s coaching to win which everyone has wanted and not playing conservative and coaching to try not to lose.

Just now, corchjay said:

Great call poor execution.  Willis had a wide open uncovered receiver in the endzone.  Pop pass boom 2 pts.  My guess would be it’s probably been rep’d 30-40 times this fall.

I didn't see it that way. UW had the end zone blanketed. Looked like perfect zone coverage.

The 2nd attempt with Cox taking the snap might have been the worst playcall I've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I like aggressive Gus.  Last year on the 4th and 1 after being stuffed on the 3rd and 1 we would have just punted it away.  

Looks to me like he’s coaching to win which everyone has wanted and not playing conservative and coaching to try not to lose.

I thought I was the only one who noticed # 42 or 47 all alone on the right side of the end zone. 

I still wouldn’t call it at that point but can’t complain. It was open. 

the national implications this game had before kickoff will be downplayed and minimized by the media now that Auburn won.

Will be interesting to see where we are ranked. Meanwhile sabass is apologizing for being an ass. He is an arrogant winner and 

insufferable loser.

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I didn't see it that way. UW had the end zone blanketed. Looked like perfect zone coverage.

The 2nd attempt with Cox taking the snap might have been the worst playcall I've ever seen.

Yo need to rewatch the first attempt then.  

Second 2pt attempt was terrible.  I agree on that but far from the worst call seen.  

Not sure why it’s so hard for people to accept Gus is a Top 5ish head coach regardless if he’s weird/meddles/makes bonehead calls.  Whatever you want to call it.  Put any other coach minus 2 or 3 and we aren’t in the position we are now.  Look back at the 60s and 70s when Bear was on a roll at Bama.  We have a heck of a coach.  

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

All I know is I am grateful for Gus after seeing the display from national powerhouses UM and Texas.

Agree...watching the replay right now.... and if Gus made some of the play calls Petersen made in the red zone...and on their last possession folks here would have been going nuts.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

All I know is I am grateful for Gus after seeing the display from national powerhouses UM and Texas.

Not a knock on @bigbird but Texas High school players are extremely talented but also soft.  If your team is filled mostly on Tx kids they will be soft.  Evidence UT, aTm, Baylor, Tx Tech.  One think that I love about Gary Patterson is he seems to understand this and coaches that physical nature.  

The high school coaches love the air raid offense out there and that doesn’t teach great fundamentals in the game against physical teams.  Texas high school coaches need to stop worrying about scoring 60 a game and get back to who Texas high school football used to be.  

They have great QB’s and some talent at WR and DB at times but linemen and LB they are severely overrated and soft.  JMO of course

Another note as to why our offense struggled. They were keeping DEEP safeties.

Our longest run was only 19 yards and our longest pass was only 24.

Part of me wonders how our receivers will shake out. I want to see the following get more targets: Nate CM, Darius Slayton, Ryan Davis, Seth Williams, and Sal Cannella. However, there are only so many passes to go around.

Amazed more people haven’t commented on Chandler Cox being our leading receiver. The entire game was different whenever Stid had a check down to go to. After years of not utilizing such an athletic H-Back it was refreshing to see him get some plays!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Could be ......for some reason Washington was ranked #6 and supposed to have the best defense in the west.....and all of a sudden that seems to mean nothing in assessing the game.    TIme will tell but for a almost totally new OL group, I thought they did OK against a solid defense. 

I stopped watching Sports Ctr a couple of years ago....was in a hotel this morning; and made the mistake of turning it on before we left.  Nothing but s*** like this.  The #9 teams beats #6; and all the discussion said it basically wasn't a loss for Wash; and not a single complementary comment about Auburn.   From watching the segment, if I hadn't known Auburn won; I would have thought we lost.

48 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not a knock on @bigbird but Texas High school players are extremely talented but also soft.  If your team is filled mostly on Tx kids they will be soft.  Evidence UT, aTm, Baylor, Tx Tech.  One think that I love about Gary Patterson is he seems to understand this and coaches that physical nature.  

The high school coaches love the air raid offense out there and that doesn’t teach great fundamentals in the game against physical teams.  Texas high school coaches need to stop worrying about scoring 60 a game and get back to who Texas high school football used to be.  

They have great QB’s and some talent at WR and DB at times but linemen and LB they are severely overrated and soft.  JMO of course

This is why I am not as sold on what chad Morris is doing at Arkansas. I can be wrong but I saw their game and they absolutely cannot run the ball and I believe they were playing Eastern Illinois. I am not so sure the philosophy he has will work in the SEC, even if he gets some of his recruits from Texas.

28 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I stopped watching Sports Ctr a couple of years ago....was in a hotel this morning; and made the mistake of turning it on before we left.  Nothing but s*** like this.  The #9 teams beats #6; and all the discussion said it basically wasn't a loss for Wash; and not a single complementary comment about Auburn.   From watching the segment, if I hadn't known Auburn won; I would have thought we lost.

It’s such a shame too. A lot of it started when they quit hiring ligetimate journalists. Yeah it’s cool to have former coaches and players on there but they’ve lost any neutrality they might have had.

then they started glorifying the jack assess of the world like Skip and Steven A Smith. It’s sad when Greg McElroy is one of the best talking heads.

57 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Yo need to rewatch the first attempt then.  

Second 2pt attempt was terrible.  I agree on that but far from the worst call seen.  

Not sure why it’s so hard for people to accept Gus is a Top 5ish head coach regardless if he’s weird/meddles/makes bonehead calls.  Whatever you want to call it.  Put any other coach minus 2 or 3 and we aren’t in the position we are now.  Look back at the 60s and 70s when Bear was on a roll at Bama.  We have a heck of a coach.  

The 2nd attempt had NCM wide open in the end zone over the middle.  If we ever run that play again, expect the ball to go there.  

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why is why I am not as sold on what chad Morris is doing at Arkansas. I can be wrong but I saw their game and they absolutely cannot run the ball and I believe they were playing Eastern Illinois. I am not so sure the philosophy he has will work in the SEC, even if he gets some of his recruits from Texas.

Last night on the sec network they were also criticizing their defensive line and “gap awareness”. They had discussed the opposite earlier in the show with Auburn’s defensive line and how they plugged up the gaps (keep in mind I only understand the game from a spectator/rules standpoint but what they were saying and showing was even clear to me).  I guess we will see. Their fan base is hopeful.

38 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Texas High school players are extremely talented but also soft.  If your team is filled mostly on Tx kids they will be soft.  

And white guys can't jump,

all Blacks are good at sports,

all British have bad teeth,

Girls aren't good at sports, and

All Asians are good at math...amirite

Archived