***FINAL: AU 21 UW 16 — Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

11 hours ago, gctiger said:

Steele pretty much said this ^^^^ in his post game interview.  I like his thought process on this call.  

Sorry hadn't seen it when I posted.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We showed in this game that we have big play makers and big play making ability. We looked rough at spots but we didnt play a slouch team either. I think we will get rolling this season like we did last year but I expect bigger things!!

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Big Sal came up with an awesome TD catch and other big catches.

he also had a 3rd down drop that would kept a drive going, a drive that ended in a missed FG...not sold on "big sal" although he did finally catch a pass for a TD

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

he also had a 3rd down drop that would kept a drive going, a drive that ended in a missed FG...not sold on "big sal" although he did finally catch a pass for a TD

That DB made a dang good play on that 3rd down. It was more of a good defensive play than him dropping it, IMO

Very fun game to be at!!! Thought for opener we looked good . Had some tough penalties but loved our physical play defensively. 

If we can just get a little bit more of push and better run game .... watch out!

Note :  Whitlow is a beast (more playing time he will set blocks up better), our receivers are attacking the ball in the air better then in years past. 

Defensive line got held a lot last night and still dominated. 

Question Whitlow fair caught a kick return one time. Does anybody know the reasoning for that ? Just freshman mistake or what ?

had a lot of room to run if I can remember correctly. Caught ball I believe  around 10 yard line . 

1 minute ago, bmartin3228 said:

Whitlow fair caught a kick return one time. Does anybody know the reasoning for that ? Just freshman mistake or what ?

New rule this season. You can fair catch a KO inside the 20 and still get it at the 25. Trying to cut down on full speed collisions. 

He was probably told to do it. 

At the airport leaving Atlanta and finally have time to put some thoughts down.

- In the 1st half, we threw a back-shoulder pass, slant route, and tossed a ball to the TE.  We need more of that throughout the game though and give the receivers a chance.  There's some serious talent at the WR position.  Also, please use Sal over the middle more.  Matchup nightmare with his size.

- Chandler Cox may be an invaluable asset in the passing game as a safety valve this year.  Great hands and love the way he protects the ball when defenders get around him.

- I didn't think I would be concerned about our o-line's ability to open running lanes coming out of this game.  Need to get that cleaned up real quick.

- Would like to see more patience from our RBs.  Felt like there were yards left on the field because they didn't wait for blocks to develop.

- I want to see more of Shivers.  The one touch he got was dang impressive.

- The front seven did exactly what we expected.  Great performance overall.  Secondary was actually a bit better than I thought they may be in game 1.  UW made some great catches (that one handed TD was sick) with defenders in good position.  Iggy is gonna be a stud CB.

- Credit UW for 2nd quarter adjustments.  Browning had no time to read the defense, so they decided to go first read and get 1x1 sitatuions, effectively negating the pass rush.  Browning was getting the ball and throwing within a couple of seconds after that.  Smart football by them.

- Gotta cut down on penalties, but that game was called pretty tight.  SEC refs tend to let more go.  We should be fine there long term.

- Carlson 2.0 has a dang leg.  It's a luxury to have that in college football.

All in all, no big complaints.  We played the likely Pac 12 champs and won a tight game away from JHS.  Honestly, I think we needed a tight game.  All 10 of our wins last year were by double digits.  Helps us mentally to pull one out of the fire.

42 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

New rule this season. You can fair catch a KO inside the 20 and still get it at the 25. Trying to cut down on full speed collisions. 

It was a smart move IMO.  He had a few steps but I doubt he would have made the 25.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It was a smart move IMO.  He had a few steps but I doubt he would have made the 25.

Huh that’s news to me. Good call.

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

Sorry hadn't seen it when I posted.

We’re good!   I was merely attempting to validate your post.  I apologize if it was taken as criticism.   ?

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

We’re good!   I was merely attempting to validate your post.  I apologize if it was taken as criticism.   ?

It wasn't, I just don't like to repost stuff that everyone has seen. Like you said we good. 

59 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Heck I was saying we should do it if we aren't getting to the 25 yard line. 

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

That DB made a dang good play on that 3rd down. It was more of a good defensive play than him dropping it, IMO

ball should have been caught...just watched the replay...db did make a play after the ball hit him squarely in the hands.....

We do have plenty to clean up/adjust going forward, but I will say, I’m super hyped about this team. If the OL comes together, watch out. We have the talent to go a long way this year. WDE!

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

? HOT GARBAGE!!!

Yeah, that analysis was nonsense. Even their graphic was wrong, showing Stidham with 1 INT and Browning with 0. With that said, we probably will need more consistent play from Stidham if we want to make the playoff. He did seem to get rattled in the 3rd and it looked at times like he wasn’t seeing the whole field. But you can’t just ignore that he had large stretches of game where he was damn near perfect. His good is definitely championship caliber good. His ability to steady himself and the offense when things start to spiral (as they certainly will at times over the course of the year) will determine how far this team can go.

1 minute ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Yeah, that analysis was nonsense. Even their graphic was wrong, showing Stidham with 1 INT and Browning with 0. With that said, we probably will need more consistent play from Stidham if we want to make the playoff. He did seem to get rattled in the 3rd and it looked at times like he wasn’t seeing the whole field. But you can’t just ignore that he had large stretches of game where he was damn near perfect. His good is definitely championship caliber good. His ability to steady himself and the offense when things start to spiral (as the certainly will at times over the course of the year) will determine how far this team can go.

Agree with that!

From CBS sports write up:

Auburn's offense was dreadful Saturday afternoon against the Huskies. The offensive line -- the biggest question mark heading into the season -- was an abject disaster, which hampered drive after drive for coach Gus Malzahn.

Seems a little overstated to me and rather dismissive of Washington's defense.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

From CBS sports write up:

Auburn's offense was dreadful Saturday afternoon against the Huskies. The offensive line -- the biggest question mark heading into the season -- was an abject disaster, which hampered drive after drive for coach Gus Malzahn.

Seems a little overstated to me and rather dismissive of Washington's defense.

Could be ......for some reason Washington was ranked #6 and supposed to have the best defense in the west.....and all of a sudden that seems to mean nothing in assessing the game.    TIme will tell but for a almost totally new OL group, I thought they did OK against a solid defense. 

Archived