Nikki Haley will step down at the end of the year.

AUDub

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Interesting move, prior to the midterms. 

Trump fires Sessions. Graham appointed as AG. Haley appointed to Senate.

Itsh poshible.

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Trump fires Sessions. Graham appointed as AG. Haley appointed to Senate.

Itsh poshible.

It's definitely a calculated move, but I doubt it hinges on Trump firing Sessions.

My first thought was she's bailing before Trump gets pummeled in the midterms, along with all that portends.  Better now than looking like a rat abandoning a sinking ship.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

It's definitely a calculated move, but I doubt it hinges on Trump firing Sessions.

My first thought was she's bailing before Trump get's pummeled in the midterms, along with all that portends.  Better now than looking like a rat abandoning a sinking ship.

I'm not certain midterms are going to go the way I'd prefer them to go.  While I believe Ford was credible and Kavanaugh's nomination should have been pulled the GOP have a lot of spin potential from the situation. 

They can claim to be both winners of a hard fought political process and victims of a leftist smear campaign simultaneously.  Both of those types of narratives, regardless of accuracy,  have gained traction with Trump's base in the past. 

On top of that, those of us that might be energized and motivated to oppose Trump over situations like Kavanaugh, not to mention the Times piece, Manafort convictions, etc., we probably were already motivated.  

30 minutes ago, HVAU said:

I'm not certain midterms are going to go the way I'd prefer them to go.  While I believe Ford was credible and Kavanaugh's nomination should have been pulled the GOP have a lot of spin potential from the situation. 

They can claim to be both winners of a hard fought political process and victims of a leftist smear campaign simultaneously.  Both of those types of narratives, regardless of accuracy,  have gained traction with Trump's base in the past. 

On top of that, those of us that might be energized and motivated to oppose Trump over situations like Kavanaugh, not to mention the Times piece, Manafort convictions, etc., we probably were already motivated.  

You may be right, but it's hard for me to believe Democrats won't take the house.

Just now, homersapien said:

You may be right, but it's hard for me to believe Democrats won't take the house.

I hope I'm wrong as can be.  Seems most of my predictions in politics, at least the ones based in reason, turn out to be off.  Here's to hoping for consistency.

59 minutes ago, homersapien said:

About where I am.  Some key districts had to be redrawn in places like Pennsylvania where Dems are likely to pick up seats.  Can see them still being down in the Senate based on the sheer number of seats they have to defend though.

Goldman Sachs exec and former administration official Dina Powell is the top name to replace Haley it seems.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/09/white-house-talked-to-dina-powell-about-possibly-replacing-nikki-haley-at-un.html

An article on Breitbart points out Clinton links.  I can only assume that this is to display the Breitbart view that Powell is not a good choice, portraying her as a globalist, or at least globalist sympathetic.  

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/10/09/eight-significant-ties-between-dina-powell-and-the-clintons/

Other names mentioned:

"Other potential successors to Haley — who announced on Tuesday that she would leave her post at the end of the year — include Richard Grenell, the U.S. ambassador to Germany, who previously served as a spokesman for the U.S. Mission to the U.N.; and Kelly Craft, the U.S. ambassador to Canada. Some Trump supporters on Twitter pushed on Tuesday for Grenell over Powell."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/09/dina-powell-un-ambassador-886197

Archived