Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

3 minutes ago, tacosman said:

of course last year isnt irrelevant when trying to discuss Gus' performance and current status at auburn.

last year was ok in a few places sure. This year is a dumpster fire. This year is the kind of year that got Gene Chizik. canned. You will try and argue with this but I won't respond nor should anyone else. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

$32 million....

Yep.  Half up front, the rest divided over 4 years.

But everything is negotiable.  And also, it goes down approximately $7 million per year.  Does that go down Dec 1st or Dec 31st?  If it's earlier, you could wait til then and then the buyout is only about $25M.  If it's later, you could tell him he's gone as soon as the buyout goes down, or he can take $X amount now divided over the next 10 years rather than lose $7M while being a lame duck.

5 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I did not see anything he said that is not correct.

So AU's pathetic? You agreed with his comment earlier about there's been nothing worth watching from AU since 2010? I'm just as fed up with this crap as anyone but is it really that bad to call AU pathetic? 

23 minutes ago, tacosman said:

first we arent losing to both olemiss and A&M.  Its more likely we go 2-0 vs 0-2.  

even the georgia game is in play(they look like crap today)

And we can continue this track.....or do I need to remind you guys who won the sec west LAST YEAR?

And dont throw out that 4 loss crap last year- we won the sec west and beat our two biggest rivals in massive games.  Thats not a 4 loss year

We literally lost to Clemson, LSU, Georgia and UCF, Einstein.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

4-5 since the 2017 Iron Bowl...

Yep got paid and went into a shell. Also I am so sick watching not so average joe run all over UGA lmao. Is this really happening?

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I’ve seen several names thrown out. Rather than reply to all of them, I’ll give a reply all here. The names thrown out prior to this point are either:

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops)

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables)

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell)

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin)

When things look bad, the grass always appears greener. But the reality is that he may be the best option given our financial limitations.

Friend, it would be damn hard to find a huge downgrade from Gustav

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep got paid and went into a shell. Also I am so sick watching not so average joe run all over UGA lmao. Is this really happening?

We should have hired the Cajun

29 minutes ago, tacosman said:

first we arent losing to both olemiss and A&M.  Its more likely we go 2-0 vs 0-2.  

even the georgia game is in play(they look like crap today)

And we can continue this track.....or do I need to remind you guys who won the sec west LAST YEAR?

And dont throw out that 4 loss crap last year- we won the sec west and beat our two biggest rivals in massive games.  Thats not a 4 loss year

What are you talking about? We are 1 AND 3 in the sec/ 1-2 in the west. Our ceiling is the outback bowl

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

We should have hired the Cajun

He has got them excited. I know I was on his head for giving up on Matt so quickly . But he made the necessary change , went and got a QB and allowed his staff to do their thing. Unproven too! 

They can try and get him to the negotiation table.  If he doesn’t budge, go for the ego:

Handcuff his independence.

Next OC (and all other assistants) must be approved by the AD.  Gus gets a list of who he can hire.  The OC will have to be outside of Gus’s coaching tree and an accomplished OC. The OC will be given the keys to the offense.   Knock Gus to a figurehead coach.   He’ll probably take the next train out of Auburn first chance he gets.

Another road is to hire a private investigator and hope they can find a skeleton to fire him with cause. 

(Not implying to take these tactics — just stating there are things the AD can do besides shrugging it off because of $32 million.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Oregon was a mess last year and they are 4-1 this year with only a narrow OT loss to Stanford and score a ton of points.  He's got SEC experience as an assistant under Saban and is an elite recruiter.

Kirby Smart was unproven too.

But regardless, Gus is not the answer.   We negotiated a bad contract.  Allowing this mess to continue to get worse doesn't help anything.  It's time to move on.

And Oregon now just beat Washington.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

And Oregon now just beat Washington.

And pretty much beat themselves in the Stanford game 

4 hours ago, AubFanCT said:

All joking aside. After today we will be 4-3. 5 games left. We beat Liberty, maybe split if we r lucky with Ole Miss and A&M and for sure THUGA and Bama take us behind the woodshed.  Does that not warrant CGM getting canned? 

In a word YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

What are you talking about? We are 1 AND 3 in the sec/ 1-2 in the west. Our ceiling is the outback bowl

Our ceiling is the Birmingham Bowl.

1 hour ago, tacosman said:

As stan and rod commented today, we've just been snakebit the last few weeks.....those td non-reversal breaks last week,and then how does slayton drop that ball?  That was not JS's fault...he threw a great ball.  He catches that the game changes a lot....

Honestly, who would you guys rather have than gus?  Saban?  yuck.  Urban?  yuck, too much baggage.  Dabo?  Bama born and bred.  I'll stay on this bus thank you....

Are you 12?, or just stupid?

Only uat and UGA fans support Gus at this point. Let him play out the season and take the beatdowns he has coming and lighten the load on his buyout whenever the cutoff is. Heck, tell him he is still the coach but make sure his headset doesn’t work during games. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The buyout is iron-clad unless we could somehow negotiate it down.  What isn't guaranteed is that the high buyout would stop us cold from firing him.

Inside sources there or speculating?

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Then don't fire him, sit his rear down, ban him from the field, players etc, name Steele interim coach. 

Musical chairs, despite the salary...I do like this.  If different results appeared, everyone is happy.  Fans feel they get their money's worth, players get to enjoy success and have more opportunity to attract scouts, Gus gets the salary.  It would be very humbling on the part of the other coaches not to earn the salary that equates with the greater work, but that kind of delayed gratification-style sacrifice would likely bode well for their next gigs...here or elsewhere.  This makes a statement of epic proportions.

Archived