Rule about high school coaches and recruiting

Auburn2Eugene

Ok I know if we hire a coach from any high school, it means we can't recruit that high school for X number of years. But I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can clear up for me. 

Does this rule apply for coaches hired for any position? Or does it only apply to coaches hired as analyst?

If we recruit a kid from a high school, does that mean then we can't hire anyone from that staff for X number of years? 

Basically what I'm asking, is let's say Gus wants to hire Josh Floyd for an analyst job, this would prevent us from recruiting Hewitt-Trussville for X number of years. Now if Gus wants to hire Floyd as OC, would that also prevent us from recruiting Hewitt-Trussville for X number of years? 

Then the next question is say we sign Bo Nix. Would signing Bo prevent us from hiring Patrick for X number of years? 

Sorry if I'm not clear enough, or if it's been discussed ad nauseam but I'm just not sure how that new rule actually works.

I think this only applies to analyst positions. Not sure how long the window is. But Gus can hire Patrick Nix as an on field assistant any time and still sign his son or other players. He can’t hire him as an analyst. @ellitor can clear up any wrong idea I have though! 

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Now if Gus wants to hire Floyd as OC, would that also prevent us from recruiting Hewitt-Trussville for X number of years?

No. All X's in your post is 2 years before & after. On this part, AU could recruit Trussville but CJF could not. Alexava covered the rest.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I think this only applies to analyst positions. Not sure how long the window is. But Gus can hire Patrick Nix as an on field assistant any time and still sign his son or other players. He can’t hire him as an analyst. @ellitor can clear up any wrong idea I have though! 

My understanding is that analysts are not to be on the field or in coaching roles, correct? Does coaching have a definition separating it from analyst? 

In other words, what is the legality of this?:

03BDFEF2-D9B5-4209-8C1A-8900FC64B42F.jpeg

43 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

My understanding is that analysts are not to be on the field or in coaching roles, correct? Does coaching have a definition separating it from analyst? 

In actuality Analysts are basically just not 1 of the 10 major assistants on a staff. They can have support coaching roles. They can recruit via calls, social media DMs, & in person is on campus only. They are allowed on the field.

47 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Very legal.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In actuality Analysts are basically just not 1 of the 10 major assistants on a staff. They can have support coaching roles. They can recruit via calls, social media DMs, & in person is on campus only. They are allowed on the field.

Very legal.

👍

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Coach Floyd would not come for an analyst job.  He makes $140k at HT.  Analysts make less then 50k

Most of these big name analysts that bama brings in are probably still "on the payroll" of other schools where they are still getting contract money/buyouts. 

2 hours ago, kwagoner said:

03BDFEF2-D9B5-4209-8C1A-8900FC64B42F.jpeg

My understanding is that he cannot communicate with players during the game.  He can communicate with coaches. 

19 hours ago, around4ever said:

My understanding is that he cannot communicate with players during the game.  He can communicate with coaches. 

Haven't seen this and IMO it would make no sense to me for a support staffer/analyst not to be able to communicate with players.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Haven't seen this and IMO it would make no sense to me for a support coach/analyst not to be able to communicate with players.

Like around4ever said, I thought they couldn’t have contact with the players because that would make them a “coach” not analyst. My understanding was they could work with the coaches, break down film, leg work for recruiting, etc and that was it. I also thought they were not allowed on the sidelines. At that point they would become the 11th, 12th,..... 54th coach.  

Nowhere can I find a clear answer either, hence posing the question. 

48 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Like around4ever said, I thought they couldn’t have contact with the players because that would make them a “coach” not analyst. My understanding was they could work with the coaches, break down film, leg work for recruiting, etc and that was it. I also thought they were not allowed on the sidelines. At that point they would become the 11th, 12th,..... 54th coach.  

Nowhere can I find a clear answer either, hence posing the question. 

Yes support staff can be on the field & yes they can have contact with the players. Ours do & have for example. Lastly there's nothing in the rule book about them not talking or communicating to players. They just can't coach them. Lastly, there is no wording at all in the rules on whether specifically analysts can be on the field or not.

17 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Yup. Just says analysts can't coach players & like the NCAA rule book, doesn't say anything about not being allowed on the field. Outside of the players , 11 countable coaches, & 4 GAs, every team can have up to 60 support staffers on the field. The 5-10 analysts most teams have can be apart of the 60 support staffers.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes support staff can be on the field & yes they can have contact with the players. Ours do & have for example. Lastly there's nothing in the rule book about them not talking or communicating to players. They just can't coach them. Lastly, there is no wording at all in the rules on whether specifically analysts can be on the field or not.

Again, I don’t know.... I’m being educated here. Where is the rule book? I’d like to read and get a clearer understanding. It all seems very gray to me.

I know this isn’t an impeachment from the 90’s, but doesn’t it all depend on what the definition of “coaching” is? 

“Hey great run!” “Good job! Keep stretching them out before cutting up field.”  ”Always know where #91 is” Aren’t these all motivation/direction = coaching? How do the enforcers know what is being said, therefore the level of “coaching” taking place? 

Or does it basically come down to “I have 11 headsets. Wear one, and be called coach?”

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

This article was particularly helpful. If on the field, all coms have to be face to face. Monachino said he deals only with coaches, unless in the football facility, and stays away from the ball though. 

He’s only inputting his take between series.

9 hours ago, kwagoner said:

Where is the rule book?

Google NCAA Handbook or NCAA Football rule book

I know this isn’t an impeachment from the 90’s, but doesn’t it all depend on what the definition of “coaching” is? 

Maybe but I'm sure every time an analyst talks to a players or says good job isn't going to be nitpicked.

“Hey great run!” “Good job! Keep stretching them out before cutting up field.”  ”Always know where #91 is” Aren’t these all motivation/direction = coaching? How do the enforcers know what is being said, therefore the level of “coaching” taking place? 

I don't know. I guess they observe & read lips. Lol In the end I really don't care. This whole conversation seems like trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Or does it basically come down to “I have 11 headsets. Wear one, and be called coach?”

That's a different thing. Each team can have 20 headsets. 15 go to the HC, 10 assistants, & 4 GAs. Can't remember the exact wording on the other 5 headsets. It's in the NCAA Football rule book. You can look it up. I spent way more time researching the stuff last night than I ever wanted to.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Google NCAA Handbook or NCAA Football rule book

Maybe but I'm sure every time an analyst talks to a players or says good job isn't going to be nitpicked.

I don't know. I guess they observe & read lips. Lol In the end I really don't care. This whole conversation seems like trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

That's a different thing. Each team can have 20 headsets. 15 go to the HC, 10 assistants, & 4 GAs. Can't remember the exact wording on the other 5 headsets. It's in the NCAA Football rule book. You can look it up. I spent way more time researching the stuff last night than I ever wanted to.

Take those 15 headsets away from Malzahn! 1 is too many.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved the proposal from the football oversight committee on Friday. The head coach, assistants and graduate assistants are allowed to be on headsets during a game, along with four players and one other staffer who is a non-coaching role such as charting plays.

Source

Archived