2019 5* LB Owen Pappoe commits to AU!!!

WFE12

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

https://auburn.247sports.com/ContentGallery/Who-could-be-next-to-commit-to-the-Auburn-Tigers-football-recruiting-class-117699952/4#

this was a free update from keef today. Summed up so you do not have to sift through the slideshow. Pappoe and Morris both trending away to other schools......

EEB5DF68-9E96-43C8-B070-F30175F4174A.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, fredst said:

EEB5DF68-9E96-43C8-B070-F30175F4174A.gif

Tell our coaches to be better closers!!!! Trust me!!! I want to be positive so bad!!! GIVE ME SOMETHING WORK WITH! AT LEAST we seem to be getting *knock on wood* A STUD 2020 WR tomorrow. WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOO!!!!! I will def be positive about that! WAR DAMN TROUP COUNTY!

27 minutes ago, fredst said:

This is why we are losing so many of these battles. Can’t argue with these numbers:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23316209/college-programs-most-nfl-draft-picks-last-10-years

But we're not battling LSU or bama... we're battling Georgia who is only ranked on Linebackers in that article.  Hopefully the next two days will allow us to change that conversation. We are likely going to have 5 drafted, at least 3 have a shot of going by round 2, and could have as many as 8 go overall.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

But we're not battling LSU or bama... we're battling Georgia who is only ranked on Linebackers in that article.  Hopefully the next two days will allow us to change that conversation. We are likely going to have 5 drafted, at least 3 have a shot of going by round 2, and could have as many as 8 go overall.

Yeah, I get that this thread is for OP. He is, however, a LB and they can sell these numbers plus Roquan going in the top ten picks of the draft to him. I was speaking more generally about our losses in head-to-head battles for these top-shelf guys. We *somehow* have to start winning these.

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Yeah, I get that this thread is for OP. He is, however, a LB and they can sell these numbers plus Roquan going in the top ten picks of the draft to him. I was speaking more generally about our losses in head-to-head battles for these top-shelf guys. We *somehow* have to start winning these.

Exactly. We are just asking to win 1 or 2 monty adams or derrick Brown a class. Plus a Carl Lawson. Even though georgia never recruited him heavily.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

This is why we are losing so many of these battles. Can’t argue with these numbers:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23316209/college-programs-most-nfl-draft-picks-last-10-years

Great post. Recruits care about this as much as anything. To take it one step further, a lot of our drafts picks have been in the later rounds as well. Player development needs to improve. UAT and UGAs 5 star LB are almost assuredly first round picks tonight. Our 5 star LB is likely late round pick or free agent. Huge difference to recruits. AU has a ton to sell and we are doing it pretty well, but some positive movement in closing top recruits and player development can push us to the next level. 

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Great post. Recruits care about this as much as anything. To take it one step further, a lot of our drafts picks have been in the later rounds as well. Player development needs to improve. UAT and UGAs 5 star LB are almost assuredly first round picks tonight. Our 5 star LB is likely late round pick or free agent. Huge difference to recruits. AU has a ton to sell and we are doing it pretty well, but some positive movement in closing top recruits and player development can push us to the next level. 

Looking that way for our all-world pass rusher, too. 

We're soooooo not sexy. Brown, Davidson and Stidham should change that after this season if Stidham doesn't get killt out there. 

15 hours ago, fredst said:

We *somehow* have to start winning these.

What we need is a better bagman. The one we have is just not getting the job done.

53 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

LSU was so good last year. 

You’re right. Bammer and UGa having multiple first rounders last night probably doesn’t give them a boost in recruiting. But, maybe we can start recruiting and *developing* guys like them just to see if it works for us. You know, just for s—-s and giggles.

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

You’re right. Bammer and UGa having multiple first rounders last night probably doesn’t give them a boost in recruiting. But, maybe we can start recruiting and *developing* guys like them just to see if it works for us. You know, just for s—-s and giggles.

See... there's the rub... the whole thing is self-perpetuating. You get the top recruits, the top recruits go high in the draft, that leads to getting more of the top recruits. The trick is figuring out how to get all of the top recruits in the first place, without ending up like Ole Miss.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

See... there's the rub... the whole thing is self-perpetuating. You get the top recruits, the top recruits go high in the draft, that leads to getting more of the top recruits. The trick is figuring out how to get all of the top recruits in the first place, without ending up like Ole Miss.

Agreed. Somehow we’ve got to start that cycle. Our recruiting has (at least by the rankings) been at a high level for the past 8-9 years. Development has been less than optimal, if you judge by our results on the field and who is making it to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agreed. Somehow we’ve got to start that cycle. Our recruiting has (at least by the rankings) been at a high level for the past 8-9 years. Development has been less than optimal, if you judge by our results on the field and who is making it to the next level. 

At the same time, we're continually comparing ourselves to a team that had the #1 recruiting class in the country for nearly a decade while we floated somewhere around 10th. I would argue that the talent differential is pretty significant, and the margin for error re: assessing said talent is much larger for our rival than it is for us, yet we still managed to end up #2 in the SEC for the past 2 years and have a pretty decent draft showing this year. The wheels are turning in the right direction, we just need to figure out how to help Kirby continue to erode bama's stranglehold on recruiting without letting Georgia become the next bama, which will hopefully end with a more level playing field.

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

We're #7 here and we're not even in the top 16 here.

We're underachieving with the talent on hand. 

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We're #7 here and we're not even in the top 16 here.

We're underachieving with the talent on hand. 

Well.....one of those is the last 5 recruiting classes, 2013-2017, and the other would be recruiting classes from 2007-2014 so they don't really correlate at all.

Also, we've had 3 HCs since 2007. Not sure how we can fully evaluate Gus's recruiting and development yet until next year's draft.

1 hour ago, WDEKC said:

Well.....one of those is the last 5 recruiting classes, 2013-2017, and the other would be recruiting classes from 2007-2014 so they don't really correlate at all.

Also, we've had 3 HCs since 2007. Not sure how we can fully evaluate Gus's recruiting and development yet until next year's draft.

They don't correlate completely, but they correlate quite a bit. 

Also, we finished in the top 10 in recruiting from 2010-2012. Gus was here for 2 of those years. No, he wasn't entirely responsible for the recruiting or for what happened off his watch, but he was handed the keys to a Ferrari when he came back. The results in 2013 bear that out.

Probably the biggest issue was the defensive collapse from 2011-2014. 

Not even top sixteen

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, we finished in the top 10 in recruiting from 2010-2012. Gus was here for 2 of those years. No, he wasn't entirely responsible for the recruiting or for what happened off his watch, but he was handed the keys to a Ferrari when he came back. The results in 2013 bear that out.

Not even top sixteen

too many UDFA that sign contracts and find their way onto NFL opening day rosters.  That's poor development and/or underutilized talent while playing under Gus.  Those are guys that should have been drafted, and who Auburn let down.  If we properly develop some of these talents, maybe they do get drafted and we find ourselves in the top 15 of those lists (and maybe get a few extra wins along the way).  I think we're doing defense properly now...but still would like to see our offensive guys get drafted highly.

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not even top sixteen

How do they correlate quite a bit? 2013 class he was the HC for 2 months before that class signed. So for the classes in consideration for the draft from 2010-2017, he was responsible for about really 1 entire recruiting class.

You should probably looks at drafted players by year....you would notice the Chizik years are pretty lean.  Chizik averaged  2 players drafted per year under his watch and that's including the Cam draft outlier of 4. Take that outlier away and he averaged just over 1 player drafted per year.

Teams under Malzahn have averaged 4 players drafted per year and I don't see him falling under that for the foreseeable future. The most Auburn players ever selected in a draft since it was shortened to 7 rounds is 5.....oh and one of those drafts was with Malzahn. This year will likely break that record.  This is not a concern if anything we are moving in the right direction and have been ever since Chizik was fired.

If you take this year into consideration, we'll likely get 5, maybe 1 or 2 more drafted. With Malzahns average moving a bit over 4 per year, that'd put Auburn at 11 on that list just behind Georgia and not far off from the #7 recruiting rankings.

19 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

too many UDFA that sign contracts and find their way onto NFL opening day rosters.  That's poor development and/or underutilized talent while playing under Gus.  Those are guys that should have been drafted, and who Auburn let down.  If we properly develop some of these talents, maybe they do get drafted and we find ourselves in the top 15 of those lists (and maybe get a few extra wins along the way).  I think we're doing defense properly now...but still would like to see our offensive guys get drafted highly.

Here's the question. A lot of those UDFAs end up playing pretty early and several of the draftees from other teams end up flaming out pretty quickly. So, is it a lack of development or is it a lack of... let's call it marketing? It's like Kerryon. Some are saying he's easily 2nd round talent. Others are questioning if he's that good or did Gus's system make him look that good. Unlike the majority of the teams that have a lot of high draft picks, we don't run an NFL style scheme. Does that make it harder for our players to be evaluated?

I honestly know very little about the NFL recruiting system. Is there lobbying that goes on from the schools as well? I would imagine there could be, because it would help the schools to say they have placed a lot of guys. If there is, I have no problem believing that Auburn isn't very good at it.

6 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

How do they correlate quite a bit? 2013 class he was the HC for 2 months before that class signed. So for the classes in consideration for the draft from 2010-2017, he was responsible for about really 1 entire recruiting class.

Again, Chizik recruited top 10 classes each year. Gus almost won a national title with Chizik's players, except the QB for whom Gus gets a *ton* of credit. Huge exception, absolutely. 

Again, though, it's a huge disparity. Auburn should under no circumstances be below Iowa in terms of players sent to the NFL.

I agree that we're trending to the good, and like I said earlier, I see our next draft class being a very good one. But we have under performed the last 3 years with the talent on hand. You can argue specifics and details, but it won't change the fact that we should be getting more players drafted. 

By the way, this wasn't really a Gus-bash from me, but I can totally see how it comes across as such. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus almost won a national title with Chizik's players, except the QB for whom Gus gets a *ton* of credit. Huge exception, absolutely. 

Something to keep in mind here is, with a couple of notable exceptions, there wasn't a lot of NFL talent on that team. The scheme and players who were perfect for it won for us in 2013 and 2014.  That scheme and many of those players don't translate to the NFL.  Take Reese Dismukes for example. Won the freakin' Remington trophy and never saw the field in the NFL. 

I honestly think that is part of what Gus has been struggling with. He's trying to build an NFL worthy roster, but since he move to the NCAA, he's always coached "college" ball. 

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Again, Chizik recruited top 10 classes each year. Gus almost won a national title with Chizik's players, except the QB for whom Gus gets a *ton* of credit. Huge exception, absolutely. 

Again, though, it's a huge disparity. Auburn should under no circumstances be below Iowa in terms of players sent to the NFL.

I agree that we're trending to the good, and like I said earlier, I see our next draft class being a very good one. But we have under performed the last 3 years with the talent on hand. You can argue specifics and details, but it won't change the fact that we should be getting more players drafted. 

By the way, this wasn't really a Gus-bash from me, but I can totally see how it comes across as such. 

I'm just trying to help paint the picture of why we aren't in the top 16  draft picks since 2010 and it's not because of Malzahn or Tuberville.

Archived