2019 5* LB Owen Pappoe commits to AU!!!

WFE12

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Pappoe hands down because even though OL is a bigger individual position need Pappoe likely would mean more talent to the class as there are a number of kids who want to play with him. For example, if we get Pappoe Tuesday, AU becomes an immediate major threat to Clemson for 5* & #1 CB in the nation in Andrew Booth.

Dang I didn't know he was the #1 cb in the nation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Dang I didn't know he was the #1 cb in the nation.

He wasn't rated as such til about a week ago.

Making the Case: Auburn, Georgia or Tennessee for Owen Pappoe

Chad Simmons - Rivals

The 2019 class is on the clock and several of the nation’s top players have begun to cut their lists in advance of a commitment announcement. 

Today, experts from the Rivals.com network examine where four-star linebacker 

might end up playing his college football. The candidates are AuburnGeorgia and Tennessee.

THE SITUATION

Pappoe has been a national name ever since he became one of the first prospects in the 2019 class to pick up offers. In fact, he had numerous offers before he even started high school. Alabama was at one time viewed as the favorite, then the momentum shifted to Florida State for a while. Georgia has been there from the beginning. 

The four-star prospect is set to announce his college choice on May 1, so with a decision coming into focus, we asked our team experts to state the case for their respective programs and let National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell issue a final verdict.

AUBURN

“Auburn's case for Pappoe begins and ends with Travis Williams. The Tigers' linebackers coach has been instrumental in Pappoe's recruitment, building a very strong bond with the Rivals100 recruit that has resulted in Auburn being a strong finalist. Williams targeted Pappoe early and the attention appears to have paid off. If any school and coach have a chance to get Pappoe out of and away from Georgia, it's Auburn and Williams.” – Jeffrey Lee, AuburnSports.com

GEORGIA

“I am not sure where Pappoe will wind up, but it wasn't that long ago that he named Georgia his leader. Pappoe attends school less than 45 minutes from the Bulldogs' campus in Athens. He has visited Georgia more times than we can remember. The coaching staffs in Athens, first Mark Richt's and then Kirby Smart's, have been recruiting Pappoe since he was in eighth grade. Georgia thinks he is the next 

and has pitched him on that idea. It is worth noting that Pappoe is friends with a lot of Georgia players and commits, so that could help. Plus, the fact that Smart had Georgia playing for the national title in the second year of his tenure means the Bulldogs are a much more attractive option than they were a few years ago. All that said, Pappoe's commitment will mean little to the coaches involved as they will continue to recruit him regardless of whose hat he picks.” – Radi Nabulsi, UGASports.com

TENNESSEE

“Tennessee was the early leader for Owen Pappoe … back in 2015! The Grayson (Ga.) standout had a strong relationship with former linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen, but as Pappoe’s recruitment continued to blow up, more and more schools were able to leapfrog the Vols. Pappoe has never been a stranger on Rocky Top, though, visiting Tennessee’s campus multiple times a year since starting high school. He’s close with several members of the new staff, including head coach Jeremy Pruitt and defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer. With offensive tackle and high school teammate 

trending to Tennessee, the Vols hope to pull the 11th-hour shocker and land the freakish linebacker.” – Jesse Simonton, VolQuest.com

THE VERDICT

“I’ll go with Georgia for Pappoe because it is the home school and have had so much recruiting momentum overall and with the star linebacker. He’s been linked to them for the longest time.” – Mike Farrell, Rivals.com National Director of Recruiting

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Pappoe hands down because even though OL is a bigger individual position need Pappoe likely would mean more talent to the class as there are a number of kids who want to play with him. For example, if we get Pappoe Tuesday, AU becomes an immediate major threat to Clemson for 5* & #1 CB in the nation in Andrew Booth.

If things hold serve as they are right now and we get OP and the Vols get Morris isn't it a little strange how OP has all this influence on a lot of kids potentially to get them to come to AU but yet may not be able to sway his own teammate to come with him to AU? I thought for sure if we were to get OP we would get Morris.

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If things hold serve as they are right now and we get OP and the Vols get Morris isn't it a little strange how OP has all this influence on a lot of kids potentially to get them to come to AU but yet may not be able to sway his own teammate to come with him to AU?

Not really

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought for sure if we were to get OP we would get Morris.

I didn't. Vols led for him long before AU got squarely in the fight.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not really

I didn't. Vols led for him long before AU got squarely in the fight.

lol allllllllllllllrighty then. 

e t.gif

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol allllllllllllllrighty then. 

e t.gif

Wasn't intended to come off smug.My bad.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You didn't come off smug

well................................................. lol nah just messing with good ol E. He was def not smug. but dang man you could of kept the con going. DIE WITH THE LIE!!!!! you ruined it mr golf!!!!! :[ why would you do such a thing?! haha.

leo.gif

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Wasn't intended to come off smug.My bad.

haha you weren't you just set me up perfectly to use one of my favorite gifs. WOOOOO!! LETS GOOOO!!!!! getting close to 24 hours away. *fingers crossed*

Where’s Pappoe headed? Fellow prospects from Georgia weigh in

Chad Simmons 

is not only a big name in Georgia, but he is one of the most well-known 2019 prospects in the country. The 2019 Rivals100 linebacker started picking up offers before he got to high school. 

The one many call “The Freak” will be making his decision May 1, and he seems to be focused on AuburnGeorgiaand Tennessee - with a few others still trying to hang around.

We asked those who know him as well as anyone where they think he will go and here are their answers.

Warren Burrell

: “Auburn.”

Rashad Chaney

(Alabama commit): “I pick Auburn. He is there almost every weekend.”

Joseph Charleston

(Clemson commit): “I’m picking Clemson.”

Curtis Fann

: “I think it is Georgia. He is there a lot and it is close to home for him.”

Jadon Haselwood

(Georgia commit): “Georgia.”

Christopher Hinton

(Michigan commit): “I think UGA.”

Jaelin Humphries

Keiondre Jones

: “Georgia.”

Ramel Keyton

: “I think he goes to Auburn, because when I was talking to one of their linebackers (and) he told me that Owen really liked it there.

Warren McClendon

: “I think he will stay in state and commit to Georgia.”

Jaylen McCollough

Derrick McLendon

: “Owen is just like 

, so I think Georgia. They are the exact same player. It is a great fit.”

King Mwikuta

(Alabama commit): “Alabama.”

Quinton Newsome

Jalen Perry

(Georgia commit): “I say Georgia, because he wants to stay home and Kirby Smart is after him a lot.”

Jamie Pettway

: “I believe he will go to UGA. He is a dog and he won’t go far from home.”

Jalyn Phillips

: “I’d like to see my boy go to Auburn. I feel like he will fit in there. Best of luck to my boyo and I have mad love for him.”

Zion Puckett

: “I believe he will commit to Auburn, just because of the love I have been seeing them send out to him.” 

Jaylin Simpson

: “I think he is going to Auburn. It is close though.”

Dante Walker

Travon Walker

: “I would have to say Georgia.”

Malik Washington

: “I think my boy Owen will go to Nebraska. … Mainly because it’s the one we are least expecting and he has 

there. 

recently transferred there, too, and he is a former teammate.”

Colby Wooden

Of another note, in a free thread on AU 247, a poster asked what Keith thought our recruiting ranking would be by weeks end, top 20,15,10, etc. We sit at #25 right now. Keith responded with “ Top 15 by week’s end”.  

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Of another note, in a free thread on AU 247, a poster asked what Keith thought our recruiting ranking would be by weeks end, top 20,15,10, etc. We sit at #25 right now. Keith responded with “ Top 15 by week’s end”.  

That would be getting Pap & Sheffield FWIW.

just when we thought we had to worry about UGA..:-\

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

The shortest Owen Pappoe note is all that’s necessary

I know all anyone wants to know is whether Auburn will land 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe. There isn’t much more to say about it than what has been written recently — or really for the last month or so, for that matter. When Pappoe announces Tuesday (should be a little after 6:30 p.m. ET), my prediction remains that he’ll choose Auburn. Nothing has changed in the last days or hours leading up to the choice. I don’t think this has been going back and forth a great deal either, though both Auburn and Georgia have made worthy cases to Pappoe.

My understanding is that the Tigers have led for a while, and that will ride into the Tuesday decision.

I hope that’s enough for you.

11 straight crystal ball picks for AU. He's definitely trending to the good guys.

UGA fans are already melting on Twitter. Please let this be true.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

11 straight crystal ball picks for AU. He's definitely trending to the good guys.

11?!?

my heart will break if they are wrong! ?

One thing about it: Pappoe has been at Auburn enough so that he'll be making an informed decision. If he does choose to commit elsewhere it won't be because he got hood-winked by some snake oil salesman.

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

UGA fans are already melting on Twitter. Please let this be true.

They think we payed for him...so do other schools

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

They think we payed for him...so do other schools

Only possible way we could defeat Kirby's good old-fashioned elbow grease and can-do attitude. 

Archived