Trend in Head Coaches

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

I was listening to Finebaum on my way home yesterday and some idiot (read: "bammer") was talking about Shula and how people were giving up on him too early. I zoned out about that time until I heard this doofus compare him to Bob Stoops and how he could lead Bama back to glory just as Stoops did at Oklahoma. This got me to thinking about successful head coaches in recent years and one thing most of them have in common: they come from a defensive background.

Think about it, Tuberville, Stoops, Saban, Carroll, all defensive guys.

I know some of you will throw Richt and Meyer in the mix, but those guys haven't gotten over the hump by winning a conference championship in a real conference yet.

What about Spurrier, you say? Great head coach, but I am talking recent years. Fulmer? I think we all know why he wins so much.

Comments? Opinions? Dissentions?

Just my opinion, but if I were looking for a new coach, I would go with a defensive guy that is willing to let a strong coordinator run the offense. Not some washed up professional OC reject.

Which leads us to another interesting question: Is it possible to be washed up and wet behind the ears at the same time?

I was listening to Finebaum on my way home yesterday and some idiot (read: "bammer") was talking about Shula and how people were giving up on him too early.  I zoned out about that time until I heard this doofus compare him to Bob Stoops and how he could lead Bama back to glory just as Stoops did at Oklahoma.  This got me to thinking about successful head coaches in recent years and one thing most of them have in common: they come from a defensive background.

Think about it, Tuberville, Stoops, Saban, Carroll, all defensive guys. 

I know some of you will throw Richt and Meyer in the mix, but those guys haven't gotten over the hump by winning a conference championship in a real conference yet. 

What about Spurrier, you say?  Great head coach, but I am talking recent years.  Fulmer?  I think we all know why he wins so much. 

Comments?  Opinions?  Dissentions?

Just my opinion, but if I were looking for a new coach, I would go with a defensive guy that is willing to let a strong coordinator run the offense.  Not some washed up professional OC reject.

Which leads us to another interesting question:  Is it possible to be washed up and wet behind the ears at the same time?

154335[/snapback]

Richt won the SEC in 2002.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Richt won the SEC in 2002.

154336[/snapback]

Damn, I am getting old and my memory is shot!

Let the beatings begin!

Which leads us to another interesting question:  Is it possible to be washed up and wet behind the ears at the same time?

154335[/snapback]

:roflol: Shula?... :roflol::roflol:

The old cliche "offense sells tickets, defense wins games" didn't come out of nowhere. I lean toward preferring a good defensive head coach who will find a good OC.

But finding the good coordinator is, I think, the real secret here. I think the three most important qualities for a good head coach are

1) demanding character and dedication from everyone in the program,

2) recognizing and hiring good assistants & letting them do their job, and

3) being a good recruiter.

[Remind anyone of CTT? :D ]

I agree that it seems that most successful long term coaches come from a def. background. Comparing Shula to Stoops is like comparing my Trooper to a BMW, it just gets ugly and funny at the same time. Who knows, Shula might get the Bama program "turnt" around. (using some Bammer terminology)

Speaking of head coaching trends...what does Tuberville, Shula and Fulmer all have in common?

Hehe...each of them has three SEC wins at Bryant-Denny Stadium. :big:

Tuberville 3-0

Fulmer 3-0

Shula 3-5

:poke::poke::poke:

2004 Oklahoma 12-1 Orange (BCS)

2003 Oklahoma 12-2 Sugar (BCS)

2002 Oklahoma 12-2 Rose (BCS)

2001 Oklahoma 11-2 Cotton

2000 Oklahoma 13-0 Orange (BCS)

1999 Oklahoma 7-5 Independence

Hm...Shula has some catching up to do. Stoops had a winning season in his first year as a head coach. And a perfect season in his second year. 4 BCS berths in 6 years is pretty impressive.

Now I do think people are too quick to judge coaches. I think every coach should be given 5 years to ressurect the program, unless there are unusual circumstances that cause him to be fired early. The best thing for a program is to not have a lot of turnover on the staff, the players get used to it and players know when they go to a certain school they will have the same coaches all 4-5 years.

...what does Tuberville, Shula and Fulmer all have in common? Each of them has three SEC wins at Bryant-Denny Stadium.  :big:

Tuberville 3-0

Fulmer 3-0

Shula 3-5

154398[/snapback]

ROTFLMFAO!!! :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

This is only MY opinion, but, I think uat hired shula becasue he was the only thing CLOSE to a "name" that they could find that would actually take the job. uat has become a place for coaches to go and die. All "trends" come to an end sooner or later. shula is NOT the long term answer for uat. (That having been said, I hope he stays in west al. for decades ! ! !)

...what does Tuberville, Shula and Fulmer all have in common? Each of them has three SEC wins at Bryant-Denny Stadium.   :big:

Tuberville 3-0

Fulmer 3-0

Shula 3-5

154398[/snapback]

154403[/snapback]

OUCH! :roflol::roflol:

P.S. So that's what burnt elephant smells like?

...what does Tuberville, Shula and Fulmer all have in common? Each of them has three SEC wins at Bryant-Denny Stadium.   :big:

Tuberville 3-0

Fulmer 3-0

Shula 3-5

154398[/snapback]

154403[/snapback]

To be fair, Shula had to play tougher teams there than the other two did! :lol::poke:

Okay Quiet, you are now responsible for the "screen cleaning" I am forced to do in order to remove the coffee I just spewed! ! !

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Poor little "flipper". :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major
"flipper"

154476[/snapback]

Flipper, hehe. I like that one. Can I use that one to refer to the loser formally known as Shula from now on?

I would tend to agree that many fans think that Bear will come back in another coach. I think Shula might be able to win at Bama, but not like Stoops or the others that have been brought up. All depends on what he does this fall. If he does good this season he will be back for a few more, other than that......I think he will be gone. He has to learn how to call a game before he can start winning.

Archived