Stidham: Stay or Go article

aucanucktiger

not sure I understand the logic of those 3 points.  I figure everyone is doing the best they know how.  Nobody sabotaging and coaches have to decide how a player reacts mentally to being benched and whether he has a better option.   Yep, ;you can blame him if he doesn't have a good #2  but that's not gonna be solved in the middle of the Tennessee game. 

How many times does Brady or Brees or Cam get pulled after making some bad decisions?    JS definitely has his moments ...like the end of the TAMU game....just wish there were more of them. ..

Not that long ago bama got to the championship with an FSU cast-off QB so you never know and I'd rather have KB available …considering that he has a pretty good track record. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

not sure I understand the logic of those 3 points.  I figure everyone is doing the best they know how.  Nobody sabotaging and coaches have to decide how a player reacts mentally to being benched and whether he has a better option.   Yep, ;you can blame him if he doesn't have a good #2  but that's not gonna be solved in the middle of the Tennessee game. 

How many times does Brady or Brees or Cam get pulled after making some bad decisions?    JS definitely has his moments ...like the end of the TAMU game....just wish there were more of them. ..

Not that long ago bama got to the championship with an FSU cast-off QB so you never know and I'd rather have KB available …considering that he has a pretty good track record. 

I know some will disagree.  That's okay.  Still love ya Brother!

Like I said, nobody is sabotaging themselves on purpose.  I just am of the belief that for what Gus does right, he does as much wrong.  And often it's confusing as to his logic.

Stidham = Brady, Brees & Cam?

If Stidham is so fragile as to not be able to take a benching..... Then he shouldn't be QB1 either.  Forget the NFL.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

It depends.  If the hand you’re dealt that you think is better than the hand you can replace it with.  

Gus is the dealer man, he also gets to evaluate every card he deals himself.  

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Wait @corchjay @I_M4_AU... The hand he was dealt with is not a proper analogy. It's the hand he dealt himself while looking at the cards 

It is a proper analogy if you put in the context of in game decision making.  I think Gus, having anted up and dealt a Jack high hand for this game he would just stay pat and hope his opponent wouldn’t get lucky with their draw.  The UT game in particular, the opponent knows Gus’ betting pattern and it was easy pickens. 

16 minutes ago, shabby said:

stidham is gone. It's time for this experiment of a non mobile quarterback to be over with

Nailed it . This system is at its peak with mobile dt qb . Can’t believe people think other wise 

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Nailed it . This system is at its peak with mobile dt qb . Can’t believe people think other wise 

It’s not like it is even a question. Success in this system HINGES on the DT QB. misdirection and eye candy, smart and competent OLine play and smart, fast QB with adequate passing skills. My goodness, when it is working it is an absolute joy to watch. Everybody knows what is coming in this limited offense of ours. EVERYBODY. 

35 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I think every system peaks with a dual threat qb. This one more than most. I don’t think it’s a necessity. Stidham is certainly athletic enough to be that guy. He just doesn’t have the mentality of a play maker. Jarrett is a “System “ guy. Meaning he needs a system with wide open receivers and a clean pocket to execute. He is not a decision maker. I think plays that he is successful on are predetermined. 

He’s very good when his system is functioning (last year). But we need a guy who plays some backyard football when he needs to. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think every system peaks with a dual threat qb. This one more than most. I don’t think it’s a necessity. Stidham is certainly athletic enough to be that guy. He just doesn’t have the mentality of a play maker. Jarrett is a “System “ guy. Meaning he needs a system with wide open receivers and a clean pocket to execute. He is not a decision maker. I think plays that he is successful on are predetermined. 

He’s very good when his system is functioning (last year). But we need a guy who plays some backyard football when he needs to. 

I don't disagree with this.

Though I would much prefer a true DT QB in this Offense, I think a Sean White (perhaps Bo Nix) can be successful with a particular tweak.  Creating a round hole for the round pegs...

Handoffs are still slow-developing as if the QB is truly making a read and is a threat to pull it and run like Nick Marshall.  He's not, and the Defense knows it, so it's a pointless exercise and counterproductive. 

With a JJ or White or Stids (and probably Nix) they need to ditch the "fake read", get the ball into the RB's hands ASAP and let him run downhill with an Offensive Line putting a hand in the dirt and firing off the line, taking the attack to the defender making holes.

I believe that would go a long way to fixing the run game even with the personnel on hand.

As for passing game, I think we pretty much all agree that a more sophisticated attack and a coach that can truly coach and develop the QB would be beneficial.

You put those together and a pocket passer who happens to have some mobility would be just fine.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't disagree with this.

Though I would much prefer a true DT QB in this Offense, I think a Sean White (perhaps Bo Nix) can be successful with a particular tweak.  Creating a round hole for the round pegs...

Handoffs are still slow-developing as if the QB is truly making a read and is a threat to pull it and run like Nick Marshall.  He's not, and the Defense knows it, so it's a pointless exercise and counterproductive. 

With a JJ or White or Stids (and probably Nix) they need to ditch the "fake read", get the ball into the RB's hands ASAP and let him run downhill with an Offensive Line putting a hand in the dirt and firing off the line, taking the attack to the defender making holes.

I believe that would go a long way to fixing the run game even with the personnel on hand.

As for passing game, I think we pretty much all agree that a more sophisticated attack and a coach that can truly coach and develop the QB would be beneficial.

You put those together and a pocket passer who happens to have some mobility would be just fine.

I think the slow developing hand offs are designed that way. kJ took them and still waited for holes to develop. In 09 with Todd they were that way but we usually couldn’t tell if he handed the ball to Tate, omac or kept it to toss to tzack deep. The difference- a good offensive line. 

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think the slow developing hand offs are designed that way. kJ took them and still waited for holes to develop. In 09 with Todd they were that way but we usually couldn’t tell if he handed the ball to Tate, omac or kept it to toss to tzack deep. The difference- a good offensive line. 

I agree.  They were & are.  With the current personnel, that should have been changed.

That's the primary point with us that are so frustrated with Gus. 

He doesn't alter/tweak his Offense to his players' strengths. 

OR....

He isn't recruiting or developing the right players for his Offense.

He runs his Offense, the same way year after year, and seemingly is not successful (or trying) to recruit and develop the necessary players.

I am not an Air Raid guy, but that's what personnel he has recruited, or at least is playing, while he has two true DT QB's on the bench who he either can't develop or shouldn't have signed them in the first place.

Edit: and regarding the OLine, see my previous rants about how they could fix that, again to match what Gus wants his Offense to be.  I've already promised to quit harping on that. 😁

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree.  They were & are.  With the current personnel, that should have been changed.

That's the primary point with us that are so frustrated with Gus. 

He doesn't alter/tweak his Offense to his players' strengths. 

OR....

He isn't recruiting or developing the right players for his Offense.

He runs his Offense, the same way year after year, and seemingly is not successful (or trying) to recruit and develop the necessary players.

I am not an Air Raid guy, but that's what personnel he has recruited, or at least is playing, while he has two true DT QB's on the bench who he either can't develop or shouldn't have signed them in the first place.

Those qbs are 18-19 years old. We have missed several qbs. But I would not call any of the current backup qbs a miss because they are so young. It’s all the other earlier misses that hurts. The offensive line misses and under signings are our top problem.  I don’t understand how we are consistently in the top 10 but have holes in o line and RBs. Rbs should be knocking the door down. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

Those qbs are 18-19 years old. We have missed several qbs. But I would not call any of the current backup qbs a miss because they are so young. It’s all the other earlier misses that hurts. The offensive line misses and under signings are our top problem.  I don’t understand how we are consistently in the top 10 but have holes in o line and RBs. Rbs should be knocking the door down. 

I agree with everything you said in this post.

Personally, I believe Auburn has good, talented players in all positions.  A little thin on the OLine and could use a big time RB for sure.  But talent is still there.

I just think they're undercoached or coached for a wrong system.  No way AU doesn't have plenty talent to beat MSU & UT this year.

I don't expect to beat LSU, thUga or bammer every year.  I'd be happy with 50/50, or so.  But they should never lose to teams like 2018 MSU & UT.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

If Stidham is so fragile as to not be able to take a benching..... Then he shouldn't be QB1 either.  Forget the NFL.

JMO.....All those guys seem to be fragile.....a QB characteristic?    But coaches sure are reluctant to take a guy out of the game;.....consider that in the AU game last year, Nick stuck with Hurts all the way to the end....when he had a very good backup and Hurts was going nowhere. :dunno:  

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO.....All those guys seem to be fragile.....a QB characteristic?    But coaches sure are reluctant to take a guy out of the game;.....consider that in the AU game last year, Nick stuck with Hurts all the way to the end....when he had a very good backup and Hurts was going nowhere. :dunno:  

Oh, we agree on this very much.  Not just QB's either...

I do think today's players, dare I say generation, are more mentally fragile....and coddled so much more than they used to be.

I remember when coaches (happened to me plenty) would cuss you out, break their clipboard over your helmet, and perhaps bench you a few series as a consequence.  No apologies, no hugs, no positive words to counteract the "hurt feelings" they may have caused.  You either manned up and learned from the experience or you didn't.  And you DEFINITELY didn't go yelling or trying to attack the coach... you'd be suspended at best, or even off the team.  They even made you cut your hair a certain length.  None of this crap flying around out of the helmet that looks so ridiculous.

Now you'll see them on the sidelines yell at a player, then hug him then (like Major Applewhite the other night) throw verbal bouquets at the player in the media hoping to make up for hurting his feelings saying "he'll be fine".  It's definitely a different world now than even when I was growing up...and I'm not that old.

Archived