Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

5 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think you're right.  I've scoured the internet looking for any reliable corroboration of the things being discussed here, and I can't find any.  But stranger things have happened.

Where would one find "reliable corroboration" of informal talks going on behind the scenes exactly?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DAG said:

The big money guys are your bosses unfortunately...he has been put in a terrible position..welcome to Southern Football. But he is a ND game. He should know about politics and fan expectations. The bigger issue is Gus isn't his guy. This is why I wish he would've never said anything in regards to Gus situation.

I remember reading somewhere a few weeks ago, credible or not, that Greene quietly (verbally) approved the Malzahn extension before he (Greene) was officially hired by Auburn.

If that's true, I would think that Greene had already firmly committed to Auburn, but was waiting for the paperwork on his contract to go through before he made any "official" decisions at Auburn.  He also might have kept it out of the media because he wanted that decision to be firmly pinned on Leath.

Then again, maybe none of that is true.

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

I remember reading somewhere a few weeks ago, credible or not, that Greene quietly (verbally) approved the Malzahn extension before he (Greene) was officially hired by Auburn.

If that's true, I would think that Greene had already firmly committed to Auburn, but was waiting for the paperwork on his contract to go through before he made any "official" decisions at Auburn.  He also might have kept it out of the media because he wanted that decision to be firmly pinned on Leath.

Then again, maybe none of that is true.

Quietly approved an hire before he was hired? Yeah, I am going to need a source for that one. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

The big money guys are your bosses unfortunately...he has been put in a terrible position..welcome to Southern Football. But he is a ND game. He should know about politics and fan expectations. The bigger issue is Gus isn't his guy. This is why I wish he would've never said anything in regards to Gus situation.

I realize I’ll be criticized and lambasted for saying this, but here it goes anyway: see how excited everyone got about a big name coach, from a power five conference, from a big-name school, possibly coming to Auburn? That was my thing about the Greene hire all along.

How many current successful AD’s recently retired or are doing very well in/at power five conference schools? Why didn’t we go after one of them? With our facilities, our community, the money Auburn can pay, we certainly could’ve had some great choices. Instead we “pull a Auburn” and go after a guy from Buffalo?

Of course money talks and BS walks! So the money-men are going to be making decisions. But a charismatic leader that everyone jumps in behind and follows, can sway and lead those money-men decisions. Much like that leadership was missing with Jay Jacobs, it again appears, that leadership is missing!

Just now, AU-24 said:

I realize I’ll be criticized and lambasted for saying this, but here it goes anyway: see how excited everyone got about a big name coach, from a power five conference, from a big-name school, possibly coming to Auburn? That was my thing about the Greene hire all along.

How many current successful AD’s recently retired or are doing very well in/at power five conference schools? Why didn’t we go after one of them? With our facilities, our community, the money Auburn can pay, we certainly could’ve had some great choices. Instead we “pull a Auburn” and go after a guy from Buffalo?

Of course money talks and BS walks! So the money-men are going to be making decisions. But a charismatic leader that everyone jumps in behind and follows, can sway and lead those money-men decisions. Much like that leadership was missing with Jay Jacobs, it again appears, that leadership is missing!

We know you don't like Greene. You don't have to keep saying It lol 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Quietly approved an hire before he was hired? Yeah, I am going to need a source for that one. 

For the umpteenth time, Greene was fully briefed and aware of the situation, and did not object. At the time, who could blame him? We just beat two #1’s, Arkansas was after our head coach and willing to pay for a lesser buy out. Why does everyone have a problem with that?

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

For the umpteenth time, Greene was fully briefed and aware of the situation, and did not object. At the time, who could blame him? We just beat two #1’s, Arkansas was after our head coach and willing to pay for a lesser buy out. Why does everyone have a problem with that?

You got a source? Or you just know this? An article? Anything?

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Where would one find "reliable corroboration" of informal talks going on behind the scenes exactly?

From other investigative reporters who independently sought and found sources that give the same, or very similar, info that Moon is giving.

Certainly this story, if true, is too big to keep under wraps so tight that only a clueless political commentator from Montgomery was savvy enough to crack it.

If and when credible sports reporters like Dan Wetzel says they've heard some credible info, I'll get excited.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don’t like??

Seems like a good Christian, husband and father. What is not to like? It was the hire I didn’t like and still don’t like. I hope I am proven wrong. Why does Auburn have to get these guys like Jay Jacobs and then train them on the job? Get a good, experienced, established, athletic director, that’s all I’m asking.

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I don't know that I have a problem with it so much as I've seen nothing that would back that account up.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

B. Marcello initially reported that the deal was done well before Greene was hired (more than six weeks) and he wasn't involved.  You'll recall that deal was done under duress the week between the last regular season game with the Updykes and the second game with the Dawgs...Arkansas was calling him home.  I don't think there's any chance Greene was at all involved.  And then Marcello reported that Greene was at least aware, if not more.  

Don’t like??

Seems like a good Christian, husband and father. What is not to like? It was the hire I didn’t like and still don’t like. I hope I am proven wrong. Why does Auburn have to get these guys like Jay Jacobs and then train them on the job? Get a good, experienced, established, athletic director, that’s all I’m asking.

But do you have a source or anything to back what you are saying? Any article whatsoever? If you have a glimmer of something for what you are saying then I am all ears, otherwise, I feel like all of this is based on the fact that you don't like that we hired a guy from Buffalo.

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

My source is my eyes and ears in the athletic department. Do you have a source saying that Auburn is bringing in a new athletic director, at the same time their head football coaches contract is being negotiated, and the incoming athletic director knew absolutely nothing about it? Now can you honestly say that make sense to you?

At the time, I don’t blame him one bit! Again, again, again we had just been the turds and thuga, Arkansas was after Gus and willing to pay for a lesser buyout. So Auburn did what they thought they had to do to keep Gus.

Turns out, it was probably a bad decision. Everyone makes mistakes. Why do you have such a problem with the above scenario?

My source is my eyes and ears in the athletic department. Do you have a source saying that Auburn is bringing in a new athletic director, at the same time their head football coaches contract is being negotiated, and the incoming athletic director knew absolutely nothing about it? Now can you honestly say that make sense to you?

At the time, I don’t blame him one bit! Again, again, again we had just been the turds and thuga, Arkansas was after Gus and willing to pay for a lesser buyout. So Auburn did what they thought they had to do to keep Gus.

Turns out, it was probably a bad decision. Everyone makes mistakes. Why do you have such a problem with the above scenario?

So no source.  We do know that leath signed off to to the contract well before Greene was hired. So that's all I am going to go by as of now. If you can find a source for what you are saying then I am all ears

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

No they don't. They have to have what they feel is a better solution in place first, especially given all the financials involved here.

The school has to deal with Gus...and I don't get the idea that "the university" is who might be out looking for a new coach...so who is trying to find the better solution and what is their authority to represent the school?

Fire Leath over this?  Haven't heard anyone in the BOT comment.

From other investigative reporters who independently sought and found sources that give the same, or very similar, info that Moon is giving.

Certainly this story, if true, is too big to keep under wraps so tight that only a clueless political commentator from Montgomery was savvy enough to crack it.

If and when credible sports reporters like Dan Wetzel says they've heard some credible info, I'll get excited.

It just broke yesterday late afternoon.  Marcello and Tate have both said they'd heard this floating about amongst their sources over the last couple of weeks but weren't sure how much stock to put in it.  Moon even alludes to the fact that Jay Tate had previously mentioned it on AuburnSports.com.  Tate said this yesterday about it:

I said at some point during the recent past that Bob Stoops' name has been bandied about. I'm not sure what to believe on that end. I had one trusted SEC assistant tell me this afternoon that Stoops hasn't spoken with Auburn and wouldn't come here, though I'd put money on Auburn having spoken with Stoops during the past two weeks. It's that time of year, folks.

So, I think it's reasonable to say that as much corroboration as could be expected of something happening on the downlow is out there for now, even if the guy to break it in more detail - a long time sports columnist in this state who now has a lot of sources in Alabama politics (which happens to often overlap with University of Alabama and Auburn University politics) was the one with the source this time.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Are you saying there is a limit on how many times you can say you don't like people on this board. If true there are some people that are way over the limit with Gus.

Just now, bg5 said:

Are you saying there is a limit on how many times you can say you don't like people on this board. If true there are some people that are way over the limit with Gus.

No crap. It's annoying. Thanks for playing.

Yeah.  I'm thinking Moon's 'source' is a tipsy booster blowhard just spouting off.  With no corroboration, it's just a rumor.

8 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Don’t like??

Why do you see him as needing on the job training.  He was an athletics fundraiser for 2 years and worked in the compliance office at Notre Dame for 5 years.  He was an assistant AD at Ole Miss for three years, a deputy AD at Buffalo for three years, and the AD at Buffalo for 3 years.  That's a pretty damn good bit of experience.  Enough that I don't see him needing OJT here really.  

28 minutes ago, jbush2404 said:

The $45 million buyout may pale in comparison to what Malzahn ends up costing us if he stays.

The buyout is $32 mil FWIW.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It just broke yesterday late afternoon.  Marcello and Tate have both said they'd heard this floating about amongst their sources over the last couple of weeks but weren't sure how much stock to put in it.  Moon even alludes to the fact that Jay Tate had previously mentioned it on AuburnSports.com.  Tate said this yesterday about it:

I said at some point during the recent past that Bob Stoops' name has been bandied about. I'm not sure what to believe on that end. I had one trusted SEC assistant tell me this afternoon that Stoops hasn't spoken with Auburn and wouldn't come here, though I'd put money on Auburn having spoken with Stoops during the past two weeks. It's that time of year, folks.

So, I think it's reasonable to say that as much corroboration as could be expected of something happening on the downlow is out there for now, even if the guy to break it in more detail - a long time sports columnist in this state who now has a lot of sources in Alabama politics (which happens to often overlap with University of Alabama and Auburn University politics) was the one with the source this time.

I'm not saying you're wrong.  In fact, I hope you're right.

I just can't let myself get too excited about it until and if it happens.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Yeah.  I'm thinking Moon's 'source' is a tipsy booster blowhard just spouting off.  With no corroboration, it's just a rumor.

What do you make about Gus's agency informing him that it would be best that he start looking.    That isnt rumor

Archived