Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

I'm not saying you're wrong.  In fact, I hope you're right.

I just can't let myself get too excited about it until and if it happens.

Well like I said, all this stuff could be 100% right - the talks and interest are all there as stated - and it could still fall through and not happen.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is all a bunch of BS. If this sort of stuff happens it happens quick. Im sure their are tons of AU folks unhappy with Gus and floating this stuff out there but there is no substance to it. The AD said a month ago he was safe. You don’t fire a coach with a. Winning record who just signed a 7 year contract. 

An extension had been in the works for some time. Jacobs told AL.com's Brandon Marcello on Nov. 30 that the school was already planning on approaching Malzahn after the season on the strength of the program's turnaround. A season after going 3-9, including an 0-8 mark in the SEC, Malzahn has the Tigers (11-1) ranked third in the country and on the precipice of a conference championship.

With his salary ranking near the bottom rung of the SEC's 14 coaches, a new deal was an inevitability that both sides acknowledged.

After last week's whirlwind, however, Auburn likely greatly expedited that process. Malzahn got the biggest coaching victory of his career last Saturday, when defensive back Chris Davis returned a field goal more than 100 yards as time expired to defeat then-No. 1 Alabama. The finish is already regarded as one of the best in college football history and shined an even greater spotlight on Malzahn, who was already receiving national Coach of the Year buzz.

More important than that win was the looming specter of other major programs coming calling. Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel reported this week that Malzahn has privately told friends that coaching the University of Texas was his "dream job." With longtime coach Mack Brown possibly on his way out this season, it's probable the Longhorns would have pursued Malzahn with a big-money offer designed to lure him back to his home state.

Instead, the Tigers cracked open their piggy bank to ensure that conversation never takes place. The school did not announce buyout stipulations, but it likely included enough assurances that only the deepest pockets in college football or the NFL can come knocking.   THIS SHOULD BE EVIDENCE ENOUGH THAT JACOBS WAS IN CONTROL, HE'S THE ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET STUPID ENOUGH TO THINK IT, MUCH LESS SAY IT.

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Quietly approved an hire before he was hired? Yeah, I am going to need a source for that one. 

I searched the internet and couldn't find anything.  Maybe I read that here on the forums somewhere.  IDK.  I just remember reading it somewhere a few weeks ago, and wondering if it was true.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The school has to deal with Gus...and I don't get the idea that "the university" is who might be out looking for a new coach...so who is trying to find the better solution and what is their authority to represent the school?

This is 2018, not 1964. Right or wrong things work differently now-a-days. Backers to the school are looking & their sway may or may not be their authority.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Fire Leath over this?

As been said countless times the past few months, Leath has a number of issues on the academic side of the university is well. He's being hammered at all angles.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Haven't heard anyone in the BOT comment.

They aren't going to regardless if things are going well or not.

Well they should allow Greene to do his job. But how can he do it, when allegedly the PTB/money people are meeting with Stoops and his reps behind the AD’s back. As long as Auburn operates this way the cycle will never ever end. You can have input but I think it’s bush league to be meeting with a potential coach without any input from the AD. The AD at that point becomes a figure head with responsibility for a coach he had no input on hiring. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

So no source.  We do know that leath signed off to to the contract well before Greene was hired. So that's all I am going to go by as of now. If you can find a source for what you are saying then I am all ears

If you were looking for... say a BSPN article that says Greene knew about the contract, and it’s all his fault... obviously that source will not be found. So believe what you choose to believe but at least try to err on the side of common sense.

I also think you seem intelligent enough to know I make some valid points above, but you’re not about to admit that. All I want is what’s best for Auburn, and what we have in the current school admin, certainly doesn’t seem to be it. So probably best thing to do at this point is say: War Eagle and move on!

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think this is all a bunch of BS. If this sort of stuff happens it happens quick. Im sure their are tons of AU folks unhappy with Gus and floating this stuff out there but there is no substance to it. The AD said a month ago he was safe. You don’t fire a coach with a. Winning record who just signed a 7 year contract. 

Spoken just like someone who has not kept up and has no idea how things really operate.

2 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I searched the internet and couldn't find anything.  Maybe I read that here on the forums somewhere.  IDK.  I just remember reading it somewhere a few weeks ago, and wondering if it was true.

Well I also think the distinction needs to be made between being aware of something and SIGNING off to something. I imagine he was made aware when he was being interviewed that Gus was indeed in negotiations for a contract extension but that doesn’t mean he had veto power of it. 

Y’all are getting all lathered up over one hack starting a rumor.  I am not a Gus fan by any stretch of the imagination but I don’t believe he is going anywhere and Stoops has already said it was “foolish speculation” and “ridiculous” and “made up news”.  He made it clear he hadn’t talked to anyone from Auburn.  I wish the mods would put this thread to bed.  It ain’t happening.  Gus is the coach today and will be the coach next year.  If he flops again next year all bets are probably off. I think we can expect a change in OC in the near future but that’s it.  

Just now, AURealist said:

Meh.  Folks are working hard to connect some dots, but still just rumor.  

Well damn, son.  Everything is a rumor until it isn't.  Name a coaching search, official or secret, that doesn't go through a stage where there are legit sources telling good info but no one is on the record. Those are about as rare as hen's teeth. 

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

If you were looking for... say a BSPN article that says Greene knew about the contract, and it’s all his fault... obviously that source will not be found. So believe what you choose to believe but at least try to err on the side of common sense.

I also think you seem intelligent enough to know I make some valid points above, but you’re not about to admit that. All I want is what’s best for Auburn, and what we have in the current school admin, certainly doesn’t seem to be it. So probably best thing to do at this point is say: War Eagle and move on!

Auburn beat writer? Anything? I am not looking for anything on a national level. Just anything to have any sort of resemblence for your accusation in trying  to blame Greene for the extension given to Gus. 

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Well they should allow Greene to do his job. But how can he do it, when allegedly the PTB/money people are meeting with Stoops and his reps behind the AD’s back. As long as Auburn operates this way the cycle will never ever end. You can have input but I think it’s bush league to be meeting with a potential coach without any input from the AD. The AD at that point becomes a figure head with responsibility for a coach he had no input on hiring. 

This is one of the major issues that nearly cost Auburn's accreditation with SACS during the Tuberville/Petrino fisasco.  You'll recall we had a patsy in the AD's chair then...was a great guy and a great Auburn man, just didn't have the standing to stop the ridiculousness.

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

Y’all are getting all lathered up over one hack starting a rumor.  I am not a Gus fan by any stretch of the imagination but I don’t believe he is going anywhere and Stoops has already said it was “foolish speculation” and “ridiculous” and “made up news”.  He made it clear he hadn’t talked to anyone from Auburn.  I wish the mods would put this thread to bed.  It ain’t happening.  Gus is the coach today and will be the coach next year.  If he flops again next year all bets are probably off. I think we can expect a change in OC in the near future but that’s it.  

You think? Good call.

Just now, weagl1 said:

Josh Moon isn't a hack.

Stoops made a generic statement that could be entirely true and still not change a damn thing about what's really going on (AU people reaching out to Stoops' representatives and having informal discussions about the job and getting interest).

Gus may be the coach next year, but that doesn't mean all this is just made up BS or that the mods need to "put it to bed."

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I could be wrong but where has it been said AD Green is not aware of this & at least supports it behind closed doors?  The only reason AD Green hasn't fired Gus yet is because Leath is not allowing it. As for the secret meetings type stuff that happens everywhere  in these type situations.

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I can’t speak for Josh moon, but Tate and Marcelo have absolutely zero incentive to troll auburn fans. It would literally torpedoed their livelihood. Forgive the capitalization issues, I’m doing this With voice to text while driving

Just to be clear - I was trying to inject a bit of humor. I figure this is much more about what generates clicks.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Auburn beat writer? Anything? I am not looking for anything on a national level. Just anything to have any sort of resemblence for your accusation in trying  to blame Greene for the extension given to Gus. 

No you’re coming across less intelligent for the sake of arguing and not willing to admit you’re wrong on anything. 

Again, again, again I never said Greene was responsible for or Greene was the one that made the extension. I simply said, and stand by what I said because it’s 100% true! That is Greene was briefed and aware of the contract and did not object. Do you get it now?

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

This is one of the major issues that nearly cost Auburn's accreditation with SACS during the Tuberville/Petrino fisasco.  You'll recall we had a patsy in the AD's chair then...was a great guy and a great Auburn man, just didn't have the standing to stop the ridiculousness.

lee-harvey-oswald-sheep-dip.jpg

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

No you’re coming across less intelligent for the sake of arguing and not willing to admit you’re wrong on anything. 

Again, again, again I never said Greene was responsible for or Greene was the one that made the extension. I simply said, and stand by what I said because it’s 100% true! That is Greene was briefed and aware of the contract and did not object. Do you get it now?

First of all stop acting like a child. I was being cordial with you for a bit. I agree that he was aware but the idea that he would object to something of some sort is ridiculous, he doesn’t even have the job. What do you expect him to do ? Veto it? 

Archived