Men at North Carolina State - game thread

WarTiger

15 minutes ago, jared52 said:

A few more made wide open shots and a few less turnovers and this one is AU’s. It’s clear there needs to be a leader on this team but to say the guys don’t care Ismaili laughable and some of you need to find something else to do besides watching AU and post. I’m pretty negative at times, but geez. Bad nights happen to a lot of teams, and AU is still finding their way right now. If they go .500 and miss the tournament, yeah, bring the nega-barners out, but come one man...

Completely agree. This literally happened last year. Got beat by Temple in the non-conference and they turned out to be incredibly average. Teams find their way. We will get there. Gotta hit a few more shots, and it certainly doesn’t help when you don’t get a shootaround before the game....

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

Completely agree. This literally happened last year. Got beat by Temple in the non-conference and they turned out to be incredibly average. Teams find their way. We will get there. Gotta hit a few more shots, and it certainly doesn’t help when you don’t get a shootaround before the game....

I wasn’t aware AU didn’t get a shootaround. How did that go down?

I thought we had enough other players to mask the loss of Herron but the last few games shows me Cole was right and I was wrong. Herron was a huge loss he had a settling effect on this team and was a go to guy when we weren't hitting our shots.

Next game we need to start Wiley, Chuma, Dunbar, McCormick and Harper.  The first three plays we need to get Chuma involved. We need to force him to up his play. We need Chuma to be one of our scorers.  

I have watched most of our games right now we have no identity and no swag. A while back everybody was worried about who we were going to lose to the NBA, that is not a worry at this time. 

i just don't understand why they didn't keep pounding it inside?....chuma had a mismatch most all night...he plays so timid.....did mac get on the bus and make the trip?....all 5 players on the court are going to have to get involved in the flow of the game....this is the first time that i see water leaking through the dike

This was probably brought up earlier in the thread but how about TV Teddy making his presence known yet again on national TV. Beyond time for that clown to retire 

11 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Disagree with you there. Missed calls and inconsistency by Valentine. Got mugged on a few no calls and we would get within 2 and they’d start calling touch fouls. We made mistakes and need to play much better, yes, but that was sorry officiating 

They may have made some poor calls and missed a few, but we played atrocious and any team that commits over 25 turnovers on the road probably isn’t going to win, particularly when they’re shooting poorly and the home team is shooting well.

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They held graduation in the arena and didn’t let AU in. 

That is kinda of classless but even so after a few minutes into the game that is no longer an excuse. By the second half it definitely is not an excuse and we played same way in both halfs.

6 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I wasn’t aware AU didn’t get a shootaround. How did that go down?

They talked about it early in the game- apparently there was a graduation ceremony in there today and Auburn never got to shootaround in the gym. That’s a factor 

48 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We look like we did when we ended last season. Tons of turnovers, no offensive game plan, missing a ton of shots...

The first 5 games of this season gave me hope. 

lol  it is 1 game. You are not going to win many games on the road vs even a solid team. Let alone a good team. Never expected to win this one. In the past this is a game where we would of got run out of the gym. But we kept it respectable because we are a really good team. No tougher sport to win on the road then than college basketball.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

On the bright side ... we raised our 3-point shooting from 18% to 20% since the last game.

Wow did we get it up to the that high.  We were O’fer well into 2nd half.

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol  it is 1 game. You are not going to win many games on the road vs even a solid team. Let alone a good team. Never expected to win this one. In the past this is a game where we would of got run out of the gym. But we kept it respectable because we are a really good team. No tougher sport to win on the road then than college basketball.

It’s not just one game. That is the problem. 

19 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

It’s not just one game. That is the problem. 

teams look a lot different on the road than home. We will beat a really good murray state team by double digits saturday and look good doing it. A lot of good teams "problems" just happen to surface on the road. Nothing new.

Some quick thoughts from the game (closest non student section seats) I felt like the refs extremely freaking poor. Flagrant on Malik on a CLEAN BLOCK? Samir being thrown to the ground in the first was really bad. I could go onnnnn and on. 

I'm really disappointed in Bryce Brown. With him it's either Brown Town or Sulk City. He had the absolute worst body language all game which is a big let down because he is a senior and has to be mature enough to not look like his feelings are hurt when his shot doesn't fall. He's supposed to be a leader for us. Very disappointed in that. He also had undoubtedly the worst 20 second stretch I've ever seen from a player with 2 turnovers and an offensive foul (with an open Wiley by the bucket). He was not present today. We need him to bounce back. 

Danjel looked flat flooted out there. We need him to get his legs back. He is BIG - NBA body for sure at the 3. We need him to give us some of Heron's punch - - we miss Mustapha big time. 

Jvon is what we needed from Harper tonight. Get to the rack and dish or finish. When the game all the way slows down for him I like what we will have in him. And he is QUICK.

State was really making us initiate our O near mid court it really screwed with us. We really couldn't hold onto the damn ball today it was mind boggling. Our guards got eaten up by that #11 Johnson kid. EATEN UP. We kept fighting though. We could've pulled it off with another 3 minutes. I know that's loser talk but let me sober up LOL

The crowd showed up late but it was rocking in there. We just couldn't get over the hump every time we made a push. 

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

teams look a lot different on the road than home. We will beat a really good murray state team by double digits saturday and look good doing it. A lot of good teams "problems" just happen to surface on the road. Nothing new.

We beat Tennessee in Knoxville last year. Good teams do win on the road.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

We beat Tennessee in Knoxville last year. Good teams do win on the road.

I did not say it could not happen. Do you really think I never expect us to win on the road? Just wins against good teams are really rare on the road. It is really really hard. You have to play so well and/or hope the other team is really off and catch some breaks. In the sec last year our next best road win besides rocky top was at Miss St. No shame in that. Even average teams can beat you any given night on the road. Like South Carolina beat us last season. That was not a good south carolina team. Vandy got whooped on a neutral floor by nc state a few weeks ago and then came home and beat a ranked Arizona State team a couple of nights ago. That is life in basketball. 

Would rather feed big men draw fouls and grab pts as opposed to raining 3's.........Lebo loved the 3pointers.........with that said the direction of bb program still makes me happy.........War Eagle!!!

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Would rather feed big men draw fouls and grab pts as opposed to raining 3's.........Lebo loved the 3pointers.........with that said the direction of bb program still makes me happy.........War Eagle!!!

Agreed, if CBP told his guys less threes and more drives or at least less pull ups on a fast break then our offense would be more potent. He is giving alittle too much freedom. They fall in love with it way too much

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I thought we had enough other players to mask the loss of Herron but the last few games shows me Cole was right and I was wrong. Herron was a huge loss he had a settling effect on this team and was a go to guy when we weren't hitting our shots.

Next game we need to start Wiley, Chuma, Dunbar, McCormick and Harper.  The first three plays we need to get Chuma involved. We need to force him to up his play. We need Chuma to be one of our scorers.  

I have watched most of our games right now we have no identity and no swag. A while back everybody was worried about who we were going to lose to the NBA, that is not a worry at this time. 

I thought Danjel could be that guy but hes still trying to find himself in this chucking system. They just need to find a sub-identity other than chucking IMO, its allowing Chuma to be even more passive and takes away Purifoy's value as an inside-outside threat. Also allows Bryce to shoot the team out of games when he isnt on. "shoot, shoot, shoot" just isnt a real basketball identity

CHUCKING (I hadnt said it enough)

Could someone give me a rundown of the game?  I only saw 75% of the second half.  It appeared in what I saw our players were mentally out of the game and not playing together as a unit.  And why so many turnovers?  The is all the commentators would say.

Archived