AU players at NFL Combine.

GwillMac6

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If Kodi is so good at developing WR's why did 2 freshman start that had no training with him?    Maybe because we started recruiting WR's and not athletes like Gus did over DC's years early on.   They are still doing the exact same drills since Gus started, nothing will change until Gus changes regardless of the coach.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If Kodi is so good at developing WR's why did 2 freshman start that had no training with him?    Maybe because we started recruiting WR's and not athletes like Gus did over DC's years early on.   They are still doing the exact same drills since Gus started, nothing will change until Gus changes regardless of the coach.

Because Kodi hasn't had a falling out with Auburn like CDC did. He turned heel and suddenly everybody thought much differently about the work he did here. Very predictable. 

I am going to be wishy washy and take both sides. Totally legitimate complaint about not developing receivers because of simplistic system,  very simple route tree so receivers don't develop their route running ability as well as they would in a different system. totally legitimate blaming Auburn system for that weakness in their receivers.

Dropping passes or bad hands is on the receivers those are skills you work on yourself and you can't really blame that on the coaches. There are a ton of drills any receiver can find on their own and work on their own with teammates and by themselves in addition to the drills every team already does.  There are receivers that come out of HS who already have great hands they had great hand eye coordination and they worked at their trade. After 3-4 years at college if you still have drop issues either you don't have great hand eye coordination or you have not worked on your trade.

17 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Because those freshmen were talented enough to start.  Seth Williams really is something special.  And the we had WR’s before this class.  I do agree many before him were athletes but not all.

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lol he just responded to you man . Hardly aggressive .

Calling someone a “terrible fan” could be classified as such...

I’m still one of DC’s biggest fans on this board. Thought he had a lot of positive energy and liked the way he portrayed himself everyday. It’s unfortunate how things has turned out since he left.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Because Kodi hasn't had a falling out with Auburn like CDC did. He turned heel and suddenly everybody thought much differently about the work he did here. Very predictable. 

The turning of the heel didn’t change my opinion.. So, incorrect. 

35 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am going to be wishy washy and take both sides. Totally legitimate complaint about not developing receivers because of simplistic system,  very simple route tree so receivers don't develop their route running ability as well as they would in a different system. totally legitimate blaming Auburn system for that weakness in their receivers.

Dropping passes or bad hands is on the receivers those are skills you work on yourself and you can't really blame that on the coaches. There are a ton of drills any receiver can find on their own and work on their own with teammates and by themselves in addition to the drills every team already does.  There are receivers that come out of HS who already have great hands they had great hand eye coordination and they worked at their trade. After 3-4 years at college if you still have drop issues either you don't have great hand eye coordination or you have not worked on your trade.

Exactly. Neither Craig nor Burns taught our guys how to run routes because both guys worked/work for Gus Malzahn. And neither guy taught our receivers how to catch footballs. Either the guys did or did not know how to catch a football when they got here. 

That's the point Phan was making about the freshmen. They were good when they got here. Kodi didn't "develop" freshmen.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Calling someone a “terrible fan” could be classified as such...

We do have terrible fans. But what I think loof was pointing to was wishy-washy fans. Don't adore a guy for one play, if you are going to crap on him otherwise. If you are going to be a fan of the guy, then be a fan of the guy, but don't give him some backhanded compliment. Not saying you were doing that. 

9 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Better than what Ricardo Louis did throwing Auburn under the bus in blaming us for his poor catching skills.  I still don't understand why he did that especially with how much Auburn fans adored him after the Prayer in Jordan-Hare.

I mean nothing he said was incorrect, or different than what we all say and scouts all think about this offense 

This whole site is wishy washy. 

Same people that are defending DC’s receivers were the same ones crapping on them for dropping Sean White’s passes. It’s one narrative after another just spoken from the different side of the mouth.

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I mean nothing he said was incorrect, or different than what we all say and scouts all think about this offense 

The offense is good when it gets going, but it is not an offense that is going to show your whole skillsets as a wide receiver. You tend to run limited routes, and you are usually placed in a particular role (See Nate Craig Myers). Unfortunately,  this gives scouts limited film to honestly see what you can do. I never questioned our players' athletic ability. They are going to show out at the combine, but I do get what they are saying about the negative connotation they may perceive as Auburn WRs.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I want HLA back :(  BUT we're not going to get that. On to other attitude! We're never going to have straight DX-level heels on our roster- Pickens shut that door for good- but maybe guys like Nix and Pappoe can straddle that Stone Cold, Rock fence of bad guys that you root for??? No punk ass Johnny Football money hands but maybe some Baker Mayfield face taunting?? I HAVE A DREAM, GWILLY!

Auburn is SUCH a cookie cutter vanilla babyface type of program. Our Head Coach reflects that. We do not get for the most part guys like Pickens and the laundry list of 5 stars Bama and Georgia gets. We are the awwww shucks program. Not the cool one! lol. One of my many pet peeves about AU fam!!!

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn is SUCH a cookie cutter vanilla babyface type of program. Our Head Coach reflects that. We do not get for the most part guys like Pickens and the laundry list of 5 stars Bama and Georgia gets. We are the awwww shucks program. Not the cool one! lol. One of my many pet peeves about AU fam!!!

Somehow I get what you’re trying to say without having a clue what you’re saying. The heck is a cookie cutter vanilla baby face type of program? Why are we not the cool one. I want to be the cool kid that can walk the dog with the best yo yos in town dammit!!!

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Somehow I get what you’re trying to say without having a clue what you’re saying. The heck is a cookie cutter vanilla baby face type of program? Why are we not the cool one. I want to be the cool kid that can walk the dog with the best yo yos in town dammit!!!

dog monkey GIF

14 hours ago, DAG said:

We do have terrible fans. But what I think loof was pointing to was wishy-washy fans. Don't adore a guy for one play, if you are going to crap on him otherwise. If you are going to be a fan of the guy, then be a fan of the guy, but don't give him some backhanded compliment. Not saying you were doing that. 

Definitely a better way of saying what I was trying to say. 

I wonder how often Chris Davis wants to tell somebody that he worked his ass off and was a damned good cornerback long before he ran that kick back. (Not that anybody craps on Davis the way they do Louis, which is the exact same way that many are crapping on Slayton ever since he declared. Sammie Coates was more or less treated the same way.)

(Speaking of, CDC turned 3*, < top 300, 40th WR nationally Coates into basically the same guy that Kodi turned 4*, top 150, 15th WR nationally Slayton into. Except CDC did it in an offense where Nick Marshall threw the ball 239 and 293 times whereas Kodi did it in an offense where Stidham threw it 370 and 369 times. Hmm.)

I didn't fall out with CDC when he left Auburn the last time. I fell out with CDC when he was working at FSU and doing all that dirty negative recruiting against Auburn. With friends like him you don't need enemies.

I'm all for people not liking Dameyune Craig the man, and for laughing at his post-Auburn career trajectory. I'm not a huge fan myself. But he wasn't any worse at coaching WRs than Kodi Burns. I don't think we've come close to replicating what his group did in the 2014 IB. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely a better way of saying what I was trying to say. 

I wonder how often Chris Davis wants to tell somebody that he worked his ass off and was a damned good cornerback long before he ran that kick back. (Not that anybody craps on Davis the way they do Louis, which is the exact same way that many are crapping on Slayton ever since he declared. Sammie Coates was more or less treated the same way.)

(Speaking of, CDC turned 3*, < top 300, 40th WR nationally Coates into basically the same guy that Kodi turned 4*, top 150, 15th WR nationally Slayton into. Except CDC did it in an offense where Nick Marshall threw the ball 239 and 293 times whereas Kodi did it in an offense where Stidham threw it 370 and 369 times. Hmm.)

They’re tbe same guy because they had the same routes. Go long. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Speaking of, CDC turned 3*, < top 300, 40th WR nationally Coates into basically the same guy that Kodi turned 4*, top 150, 15th WR nationally Slayton into. Except CDC did it in an offense where Nick Marshall threw the ball 239 and 293 times whereas Kodi did it in an offense where Stidham threw it 370 and 369 times. Hmm.)

He’s also the guy that wouldn’t give Hastings a shot at receiver and everybody here was mad about it. You complained for literally years about DC’s receivers dropping SW’s footballs or not giving SW help, but now all is good, and DC is a martyr for standing up to Gus. Isn’t that grand!

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I didn't fall out with CDC when he left Auburn the last time. I fell out with CDC when he was working at FSU and doing all that dirty negative recruiting against Auburn. With friends like him you don't need enemies.

Yeah there is some underneath stuff about him . Apparently he was the instigator in that post fight between LSU and Texas A&M. Nevertheless, he is  still Auburn and I thought he represented us right when he was here. Definitely lit the fire with WR recruiting. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

He’s also the guy that wouldn’t give Hastings a shot at receiver

Don't remember hearing that. Any substantiated source for that?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

He’s also the guy that wouldn’t give Hastings a shot at receiver and everybody here was mad about it.

Since when do position coaches decide who they get?   Gus makes all decisions on offense, never heard that rumor.  I would call BS

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Don't remember hearing that. Any substantiated source for that?

You don't remember this board's full meltdown over CDC not giving a true freshman walk on kicker a shot at WR? I mean, it's not like we also had Duke Williams (to start the season), Darius Slayton, Ryan Davis, Rico Louis, Tony Stevens, Marcus Davis and Melvin Ray on that... oh wait, sorry, we did have all of those guys. But still, only 2 of them are in the NFL and only 2 more will be come April. And goodness knows we threw the ball all over the yard that season, so it's not like there weren't plenty of passes to go around. We completed almost 14 passes a game that year! Dumbass Craig.

I'm sure A4E probably complained about this, but I don't remember a single other person saying it, much less "everybody". That certainly wasn't even remotely the case. People just making stupid sh** up again. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You don't remember this board's full meltdown over CDC not giving a true freshman walk on kicker a shot at WR? I mean, it's not like we also had Duke Williams (to start the season), Darius Slayton, Ryan Davis, Rico Louis, Tony Stevens, Marcus Davis and Melvin Ray on that... oh wait, sorry, we did have all of those guys. But still, only 2 of them are in the NFL and only 2 more will be come April. And goodness knows we threw the ball all over the yard that season, so it's not like there weren't plenty of passes to go around. We completed almost 14 passes a game that year! Dumbass Craig.

I'm sure A4E probably complained about this, but I don't remember a single other person saying it, much less "everybody". That certainly wasn't even remotely the case. People just making stupid sh** up again. 

I remember the opposite..just saying. Quite a lot of people were asking how the heck is this walk on getting pub over scholarship players lol and that caused people to question skill position coaching abilities.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I remember the opposite..just saying. Quite a lot of people were asking how the heck is this walk on getting pub over scholarship players lol and that caused people to question skill position coaching abilities.

Exactly right. Folks who said it was okay for Hastings to even get some looks got murdered on here. 

Archived