Bruce Pearl

CameronCrazy

This is a funny thread...I know we are gunshy b/c of past mistakes, but we better get this right.  AG has to treat this decision based on it's own merit.  I trust AG to do such.  

I predict in 3 yrs, Pearl will unequivocably be the most accomplished BB coach in Auburn history.  In some form or fashion.

Read the "behind the scenes" thread - we have never had a coach like this, except maybe Pat Dye.  This guy is all class and represents Auburn better than even Pat Dye did in the media.  You can't buy that character.   I hate to admit that, but this is true. 

Pay the man top 2 (he has basically won two SEC rings in two years),  hire whoever he wants as an assistant (start with the HS guy so we get that kid out Mountain Brook) and  agree to buy all the Jim and Nicks he wants for life so he doesn't host any BBQs.    If it is a mistake, drop the tennis program to pay for my bad advice.  

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Beaker said:

This is a funny thread...I know we are gunshy b/c of past mistakes, but we better get this right.  AG has to treat this decision based on it's own merit.  I trust AG to do such.  

I predict in 3 yrs, Pearl will unequivocably be the most accomplished BB coach in Auburn history.  In some form or fashion.

Read the "behind the scenes" thread - we have never had a coach like this, except maybe Pat Dye.  This guy is all class and represents Auburn better than even Pat Dye did in the media.  You can't buy that character.   I hate to admit that, but this is true. 

Pay the man top 2 (he has basically won two SEC rings in two years),  hire whoever he wants as an assistant (start with the HS guy so we get that kid out Mountain Brook) and  agree to buy all the Jim and Nicks he wants for life so he doesn't host any BBQs.    If it is a mistake, drop the tennis program to pay for my bad advice.  

I don't agree with all of it....I recall how PD's reign came to an end....but good post.

I could have sworn that Pearl said somewhere, that he wanted to retire here, but one of his goals is to become the all time winningest basketball coach in AU history. 

I think PD's demise was NCAA related after 10 years. I think if he had not had this problem, he would have adjusted again and found a way to win, just like he did when he went away from the wishbone, and still had great teams.

Pearl knows he better keep his program clean, or he will be out quicker than anyone else that coached AU before. And I believe he has asked for forgiveness and is a better person and coach bc of it. What's in his blood is these players, and he doesn't want to blow his second chance at what he loves...coaching.

Not to rehash the legacy of Pat Dye, but I probably need to acknowledge the problem at the end.  I look at it two ways:  pragmatically and historically.

Pragmatically:  I think he was over his head with administration stuff.  He didn't strike me as having great business acumen, which in turn led to some sketchy decisions, which led to his demise.  Yes, there was pressure from all angles and I am not excusing his decisions.

HistoricallyLook at the trophy cabinet.   Less the '57 championship and some other great victories/years, our program wasn't elite.   And the 10 or so years before Pat came in, well, we all know what that was like.  Pat didn't make Auburn relevant, he made Auburn into a championship program.  

I honestly see many parallels in Pat's and Bruce's programs.   Bruce is not a 'one trick pony'.  He has won conference championships and taken 3 programs  to the NCAA tourney 2 or more times.   This is not 'lightning in a bottle' - a la  "Gus and 2013."

Pay the man, show class doing it and we will have the best Auburn Ambassador we have ever had for 20 yrs.  

Imagine 20 years from now ... Auburn resident and national bball legend Bruce Pearl doing the color commentary of the AU radio broadcast of the next superstar AU b-ball coach on the way to yet another stellar and exciting b-ball season on the plains ... as they walk through the Pearly gate onto the arena court.

I remember posting (pat on the back🤪) that given time Bruce Pearl could turn us into the Duke of the SEC. We have the arena, we have the right AD, we have the right coach. Eventually CBP will be competing with the blue-bloods for the elite players in the nation. All the parts are there, just need a few more years and additional money for the staff and we’re set. At least this my opinion 😎.

THE MONEY'S THERE!

We've been told this for 6 freaking months, right? 

IF the money's there to ******* do not evade the profanity filter Gus Malzahn to the tune of (+/-$35 MILLION) then the same folks that are willing and able to fork out that ridiculous buyout $$ can damn well pony up a couple of million to pay Bruce & his staff what they are worth.   

Hell, Bruce & Co are freaking discount bargain box compared to CGM & his crew.

PAY THE MAN ~ THE MONEY IS THERE!

13 hours ago, Beaker said:

Pay the man top 2 (he has basically won two SEC rings in two years),  hire whoever he wants as an assistant (start with the HS guy so we get that kid out Mountain Brook) and  agree to buy all the Jim and Nicks he wants for life so he doesn't host any BBQs.    If it is a mistake, drop the tennis golf program to pay for my bad advice.  

16 hours ago, Beaker said:

agree to buy all the Jim and Nicks he wants for life so he doesn't host any BBQs.    

Best funny line this year!

5 hours ago, creed said:

I remember posting (pat on the back🤪) that given time Bruce Pearl could turn us into the Duke of the SEC. We have the arena, we have the right AD, we have the right coach. Eventually CBP will be competing with the blue-bloods for the elite players in the nation. All the parts are there, just need a few more years and additional money for the staff and we’re set. At least this is my opinion 😎.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

THE MONEY'S THERE!

We've been told this for 6 freaking months, right? 

IF the money's there to ******* do not evade the profanity filter Gus Malzahn to the tune of (+/-$35 MILLION) then the same folks that are willing and able to fork out that ridiculous buyout $$ can damn well pony up a couple of million to pay Bruce & his staff what they are worth.   

Hell, Bruce & Co are freaking discount bargain box compared to CGM & his crew.

PAY THE MAN ~ THE MONEY IS THERE!

Why are you yelling.  Bruce has already said  he wants to wait until after the season.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Where is the USA Today hit piece posted? 

Here's a great rebuttal article from the OA editor. He does a great job of hitting back at her, and describing what we have here now with the basketball program and w/ Pearl....

https://www.oanow.com/news/auburn/turner-usa-today-s-nancy-armour-symbolizes-the-rot-in/article_95b59d5c-525f-11e9-9d38-47455b0f22e7.html

35 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Here's a great rebuttal article from the OA editor. He does a great job of hitting back at her, and describing what we have here now with the basketball program and w/ Pearl....

https://www.oanow.com/news/auburn/turner-usa-today-s-nancy-armour-symbolizes-the-rot-in/article_95b59d5c-525f-11e9-9d38-47455b0f22e7.html

I hate to break it to her, Armour, but when I’m standing for the national anthem it gives me chill bumps every single time! I love my country and people in the south especially love this country. I also believe in forgiveness, and when someone is repentant for past mistakes we should give them the benefit of the doubt. War Eagle 🦅 War CBP!

God, family, Auburn, country in that order!

48 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Good article. Believe it or not, I listen to Finebaum  on my way from work and even Marcello got into it with Finebaum over Finebaum’s inclination to discuss possible NCAA violations than our sweet 16 run. Kudos to Marcello on that. The craze over Pearl’s past transgressions is only going to get worse the more Pearl’s teams do well. And it’s all a bunch of hypocritical nonsense. It was also uncovered that Zion was actively shopped, but yet there is a pin drop’s worth of coverage over that. Instead, he’s apparently the next coming of Christ, Lebron, and the Beatles all in one.

The transgressions that was listed in Pearl’s hit piece:

- Recorded a player that admitted to being offered benefits by another school that are deemed by illegal by tbe NCAA. (Bruce didn’t cheat, overlook rape, murder someone, etc .)

- Lied about a BBQ (His most severe transgression that I know of- but still, with the headline, you’d think he was in the same bed as Sandusky, and Art Briles.)

- Two of his assistants being caught up with the FBI, but none of it being remotely related to Pearl other than employed at Auburn at the time.  (Bruce didn’t cheat, overlook rape, murder someone, etc.)

I’m sure Pearl has some regret in how he handled tbe first two incidents, but Good Lord give him a break. It’s been years since the BBQ, and have to be decades since tbe recorded tape. 

13 minutes ago, toddc said:

I hate to break it to her, Armour, but when I’m standing for the national anthem it gives me chill bumps every single time! I love my country and people in the south especially love this country. I also believe in forgiveness, and when someone is repentant for past mistakes we should give them the benefit of the doubt. War Eagle 🦅 War CBP!

God, family, Auburn, country in that order!

IT WAS A BLEEPIN BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something that is not even a violation anymore btw. I am soooooooooooooo sick of these national media members going for Bruce throat but just completely gloss over that UNC basically got away with academic fraud. And that clown and hack Dennis Dodd had the audacity this week to write the only coach in the midwest region without any major NCAA transgressions on his resume is Roy Williams. GMAFB. These national writers will do anything to protect their precious blue blood coaches who do wrong BUT GOD FORBID Bruce has a BBQ for recruits. Lets just completely overblow that one for the past decade. Bruce and Kelvin Sampson get all the brunt of the national media fury when 1 lied about a BBQ and the other one called recruits to much. OHHH NOOOOOOOOO's. The horror. Basically it is ok to cheat and do shady stuff if you are employed by a blue blood. But if you are a have not like Ole Miss in football the gauntlet will get dropped on you while UNC races off scott free with a slap on the wrist. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

GMAFB. These national writers will do anything to protect their precious blue blood coaches who do wrong BUT GOD FORBID Bruce has a BBQ for recruits

Thank you. All of this escalated after we knocked off a blue blood. And that says a lot given Thamel, Dodd, Yahoo Forde, Finebaum, Wolken, and others get their small rocks off to trashing Pearl. 

Just heard Bruce's interview on ESPN. He always glorifies the LORD. He always uplifts the University & he always uplifts his players. He wears his emotions on his sleeves and I just think that is perfect for our program. He is crazy underrated and I am so proud of this team and the direction of this basketball we are going.

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

IT WAS A BLEEPIN BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something that is not even a violation anymore btw. I am soooooooooooooo sick of these national media members going for Bruce throat but just completely gloss over that UNC basically got away with academic fraud. And that clown and hack Dennis Dodd had the audacity this week to write the only coach in the midwest region without any major NCAA transgressions on his resume is Roy Williams. GMAFB. These national writers will do anything to protect their precious blue blood coaches who do wrong BUT GOD FORBID Bruce has a BBQ for recruits. Lets just completely overblow that one for the past decade. Bruce and Kelvin Sampson get all the brunt of the national media fury when 1 lied about a BBQ and the other one called recruits to much. OHHH NOOOOOOOOO's. The horror. Basically it is ok to cheat and do shady stuff if you are employed by a blue blood. But if you are a have not like Ole Miss in football the gauntlet will get dropped on you while UNC races off scott free with a slap on the wrist. 

Lot of truth in that. 

Presumably, the deception was bigger than the actual "violation" and I am sure Pearl regrets it.  Otherwise, he would likely still be at Tennessee doing great things. 

But he certainly deserves a second chance.  And it certainly worked out great for us.  And I'd like to think it's worked out good for Pearl.  I think he will stay at Auburn for a long, long time because, well, it's Auburn. ;)

okay, if they can pay malzahn 7 million for his crap, its time to put bruce at #2 in the conference in salary.....lock him up for a long time....calapri makes over 7 million, so that out of the question, but if you are going pay that much for 6-8 wins per year, a final 4 ought to be worth 4.5 and other perks...bruce earned his money the last 4 years

10 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

okay, if they can pay malzahn 7 million for his crap, its time to put bruce at #2 in the conference in salary.....lock him up for a long time....calapri makes over 7 million, so that out of the question, but if you are going pay that much for 6-8 wins per year, a final 4 ought to be worth 4.5 and other perks...bruce earned his money the last 4 years

It's going to happen. We pretty much need to hand him a blank check. Accomplishing what CBP has done in 5 years is heads and shoulders above any CGM has done with our football program.

1 minute ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

blank check

well, msybe not a blank check but he needs to be #2 behind cal....he coached his sweaty ass off this season, and today, he took cal to school

Don’t you know Bruce is loving poking his finger in the eyes of the NCAA and some of the MSM. No doubt the NCAA was trying to punish him and Auburn by sending the team to Salt Lake and facing a murderous row of Kansas, NC and KY. Look who is laughing now!

Archived