The Hype Begins

toddc

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It's a level of cynicism that is easy for me to relate to as an Ole Miss grad, but as an Auburn fan I'm totally unfamiliar with it. There are certain fan bases that accept and expect mediocrity because in their hearts they really believe their programs are mediocre. Expecting anything more becomes unrealistic, and even worse, they don't feel like they deserve the success that they do achieve, or at best they are resigned to the belief that the success won't last. 

The one thing that I know to be true is that if you don't set your goals high enough, you won't ever achieve what you want in life. Bruce Pearl embodies that. I don't know if many of our players really believed they could win a National Championship early in the season. Now look at us. 

Always good to hear from you, bud. 

Florida, Florida State, Miami, Duke, LSU, countless others... none of them were anything. Until they were. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Basketball has shown us WHAT a great coach looks like and makes it even more obvious that we do not have it in football. AND BLAH BLAH BLAH I can already feel the laser looks I am getting from the usual suspects who will whine about how there is to much bashing about our football coach and they are tired of it lol. RELAX. COOL YOUR JETS! I am just on a quest to find our Bruce for football everybody. It is what is best for AU.

And what great coach is means he can get they players to give it their all. The BB team has good players but they were KY or NC talent coming out of high school. But Bruce has got them to buy in and do their best and to believe in theirselves. Gus has to do the same. We recruit every year in the top 12. That plenty of talent if you can get them to give their fullest devotion and to believe in theirselves. Once Gus can reach the same level as Bruce in getting his team to that point the sooner we start seeing the results.

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are something like 22 or 23 made threes behind last years Nova team which had the most three point field goals made all time.

19 to tie. 20 to break

Nova: 464

Auburn: 445

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We recruit every year in the top 12.

We were probably in the top 12 this year as well. You better believe that loss of Cam’ron Kelly will show up in depth numbers but yet the recruiting class number stays at 12. 

Cam’Ron just announced he’s going to North Carolina btw. 

I hope nobody in here is really not giving Bruce Pearl credit for what he has done for college basketball at Auburn . Auburn basketball was the equivalence to Kentucky football. It would be like Kentucky making the college football playoffs. Winning the SEC title even in a “down” year is a great accomplishment.

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

You infer the worst from my comments and typically misinterpret them too.  I'm fine with BP ….just not willing to open the bank vault over one exceptional season. 

PS...good luck on your quest....am interested to see which coach will be your candidate to save our football program. 

I mean he's had two exceptional seasons...Auburn's had like 5 other comparable seasons in the history of their existence

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hope nobody in here is really not giving Bruce Pearl credit for what he has done for college basketball at Auburn . Auburn basketball was the equivalence to Kentucky football. It would be like Kentucky making the college football playoffs. Winning the SEC title even in a “down” year is a great accomplishment.

Agree but it wasn't a down year. 

And I'd take it a step further and say our basketball program was some nightmare combination of both Vandy and Kentucky football. We are dead freakin last in 20 win seasons in the SEC. By a significant margin too. We were by farrrr the worst program in the SEC and have 2 conference championships and a motherbleeping Final Four in the last 2 seasons. 

I never call posters bammers on here but maybe some should look at themselves in the mirror if their view so closely aligns with what our rivals want for us. If we lowball Bruce and some other program pays him his worth and he continues to deliver hardware for them then AD Greene would and should be fired and never work as an AD at a school that wants to make their mark in athletics again. 

Not giving Bruce the pay and contract terms he flatly deserves would be just as egregious as the Chizik/Malzahn contract extensions/buyouts. They would be equally incompetent decisions just from opposite directions

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Agree but it wasn't a down year. 

And I'd take it a step further and say our basketball program was some nightmare combination of both Vandy and Kentucky football. We are dead freakin last in 20 win seasons in the SEC. By a significant margin too. We were by farrrr the worst program in the SEC and have 2 conference championships and a motherbleeping Final Four in the last 2 seasons. 

I never call posters bammers on here but maybe some should look at themselves in the mirror if their view so closely aligns with what our rivals want for us. If we lowball Bruce and some other program pays him his worth and he continues to deliver hardware for them then AD Greene would and should be fired and never work as an AD at a school that wants to make their mark in athletics again. 

Not giving Bruce the pay and contract terms he flatly deserves would be just as egregious as the Chizik/Malzahn contract extensions/buyouts. They would be equally incompetent decisions just from opposite directions

I agree it wasn’t down. Just a backhand compliment in my eyes tbh. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

He got garbage time. He moved positions at his next school because he was a horrible QB. He was never a viable option. 

How did we beat A&M last year?

Garbage time?  Really!!! Sean didn’t start the 2nd half.  That is not garbage time, that is being pressed into service.  The offense was garbage when he was in, but he was THE option.  Don’t forget, JF3 started the Vanderbilt game a week before the DSOR game, so he should have been an option for the DSOR.

A&M:  We stole that game.  I give Gus as much credit for that win as I do Orgeron for the 2017 win over Auburn.  

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Oh, you’re one of those. 

Yes and proud of it.  Although, it will not matter what I think for two reasons:

1. If he wins it all, no way Auburn fires him, and 

2. No way he wins it all.

No idea where to put this so since this thread has been already successfully hijacked I thought I would drop this here. CONGRATS TO MARIO FANNIN BABY!!!!!!! SUUUUUUUUUUUPER MARIO!!!! Lets gooooooooooo!!! WAR DAMN!

er.gif

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

No idea where to put this so since this thread has been already successfully hijacked I thought I would drop this here. CONGRATS TO MARIO FANNIN BABY!!!!!!! SUUUUUUUUUUUPER MARIO!!!! Lets gooooooooooo!!! WAR DAMN!

er.gif

Super Mario with the Triple Lindy! Dude bled more O&B than almost any other player of his generation. War Damn, sir!

Image result for triple lindy gif

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Even if it was “down”, Auburn was still without Wiley, and DP. Not to mention we lost Mac, who was playing his best basketball at the time, during the regular season. He’s done more than enough in my eyes.

If we’re calling last year a down year, we need to put that into context. It was considered one of the deepest SECs in modern history. The top wasn’t as excellent as this year, but the bottom few teams this year weren’t as tough as last year. The depth was different 

scare quotes
noun
  1. quotation marks used around a word or phrase when they are not required, thereby eliciting attention or doubts.
    "putting the term “global warming” in scare quotes serves to subtly cast doubt on the reality of such a phenomenon"

How about that “Bo Nix” kid?

I don’t really have a dog in this fight so I apologize for showing up to the party late.  To be honest all of my attention has been focused on Auburn basketball and the amazing run Bruce Pearl and his team are on.  Rightfully so too.  I think we all need to focus on them right now.

Something interesting I thought of and take it for what you will.  Many say Gus needs to be more like Bruce but they are already very similar.  Both live and die by their offensive rules.  Gus is a “run to set up the pass,” and Bruce is a “shoot the three to open the drive.”  If that fails in a particular game we fail and they hardly deviate from it.  Both recruit smaller, quicker guys.  Both have great defenses and like to run fast.  Now I think Bruce in the past month has been shaking things up and changing course with LOTS OF success.  I think Gus can learn from this.

That’s all I will compare about them though because it is unfair to compare them.  Two different sports with their own moments of success.  Both good friends too.  Arguing like this takes attention and time away from the history in basketball we are making.  This is a good time to be an Auburn Tiger people!    Let’s go Bruce and this Auburn basketball team!

Side note:  I am at a conference in Nashville currently and at breakfast sat next to Gus Malzahn’s childhood friend.  It was really fun to hear stories about him and his family.  

24 minutes ago, toddc said:

How about that “Bo Nix” kid?

office.gif

kb.gif

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yes and proud of it.  Although, it will not matter what I think for two reasons:

1. If he wins it all, no way Auburn fires him, and 

2. No way he wins it all.

Good points lol. 

Garbage time?  

Forgot he started second half. Still, whether it was JF3, or Tucker Tuberville pressed into action, doesn’t matter because they were not viable options at QB. 

A&M:  We stole that game

Because the defense forced TO’s and the offense opened up the passing attack we won. I understand you don’t want to give Gus credit for it, but that game was an excellent case of second half adjustments. 

There’s not really anything popping off this spring but I am sorry us basketball entities keep blowing up these football threads 

Itd be lovely if Gatewood, not Nix, could recapture that out of body feeling we get during an Auburn title run 

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Because the defense forced TO’s and the offense opened up the passing attack we won. I understand you don’t want to give Gus credit for it, but that game was an excellent case of second half adjustments. 

The defense gave the offense a 2nd chance to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.  What amazed me about that ending is JS looked bad since the opening play of the UT game until the last 5 mins of the TA&M game and then the light came on.  The man was inconsistent in 2018.

As for the 2nd half adjustments; where were the adjustments in the 3rd Qtr and most of the 4th?  If our offense adjusted earlier we might not have needed the turnovers. Gus’ 3 Qtr production is not anything to write home about.  I wish I have more confidence in Gus’ ability to lead this team, but I am going to wait and see.  Hoping for the best.

19 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

As for the 2nd half adjustments; where were the adjustments in the 3rd Qtr and most of the 4th

Better late than never. I mean Auburn did win that game. 

If our offense adjusted earlier we might not have needed the turnovers.

Just looking over the play by play, it’s pretty clear we were trying to air it out even earlier than the fourth. Had TD throws in the first and second quarter and we only had 19 rushing yards all game. 

I wish I have more confidence in Gus’ ability to lead this team, but I am going to wait and see.  Hoping for the best.

I wish I had more confidence that we could have a good season. Not necessarily lack of confidence in Gus, I just know there is a brutal schedule waiting on us. My only source of hope this season is actually Gus might be coaching for his job.

Archived