The Hype Begins

toddc

On 3/20/2019 at 12:23 PM, McLoofus said:

We're limited to those no matter who the QB is. 

Gatewood gives us a totally different dimension than Willis with his size, and he quite likely has a significant advantage between the ears. 

As for Gus, his only hope IMO is to get the run game back to a point where we don't need a complete passing attack to win games. 

We are Auburn fans here. This has alluded us for our entire programs history lol 

what.gif

dont know.gif

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are Auburn fans here. This has alluded us for our entire programs history lol 

So sadly true. But... Could it be said that Al Borges at least had an adequately robust passing game in the mid aughts?

Man. Jason Campbell. Now there is a story about quarterback development.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

So sadly true. But... Could it be said that Al Borges at least had an adequately robust passing game in the mid aughts?

Man. Jason Campbell. Now there is a story about quarterback development.

DEF! But with the talent we had at WR (and elite RB talent that softened up the defense for our passing attack) and QB JC should of had better numbers than 2.7k yards and 20 tds his senior year. But we are programmed at Auburn to think that is a monster year because IT IS still one of the best years in Auburn history when it comes to passing statistics lol. I know I am embarrassed as well with those "gaudy" numbers haha.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

DEF! But with the talent we had at WR (and elite RB talent that softened up the defense for our passing attack) and QB JC should of had better numbers than 2.7k yards and 20 tds his senior year. But we are programmed at Auburn to think that is a monster year because IT IS still one of the best years in Auburn history when it comes to passing statistics lol. I know I am embarrassed as well with those "gaudy" numbers haha.

Good points.

I'm just glad that that dude got drafted and paid.

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good points.

I'm just glad that that dude got drafted and paid.

Now that Bruce is here and is getting it rolling I do not have to put all my eggs in the broken Gus basket when it comes to getting my Auburn fix as far as exciting, fun and sexy offenses go. The past 2 years watching Bruce with his players in his system has been pure joy. We are the most exciting and fun team in college basketball with how we play! 2nd most 3 pointers all time in one season. We are something like 22 or 23 made threes behind last years Nova team which had the most three point field goals made all time. Has a basketball hijack broke out in the football section?! HELL YAH!!! #basketballschool

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Now that Bruce is here and is getting it rolling I do not have to put all my eggs in the broken Gus basket when it comes to getting my Auburn fix as far as exciting, fun and sexy offenses go. The past 2 years watching Bruce with his players in his system has been pure joy. We are the most exciting and fun team in college basketball with how we play! 2nd most 3 pointers all time in one season. We are something like 22 or 23 made threes behind last years Nova team which had the most three point field goals made all time. Has a basketball hijack broke out in the football section?! HELL YAH!!! #basketballschool

Basketball has my full permission to mow football's lawn for at least another week or two.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Basketball has my full permission to mow football's lawn for at least another week or two.

Basketball has shown us WHAT a great coach looks like and makes it even more obvious that we do not have it in football. AND BLAH BLAH BLAH I can already feel the laser looks I am getting from the usual suspects who will whine about how there is to much bashing about our football coach and they are tired of it lol. RELAX. COOL YOUR JETS! I am just on a quest to find our Bruce for football everybody. It is what is best for AU.

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Basketball has shown us WHAT a great coach looks like and makes it even more obvious that we do not have it in football. AND BLAH BLAH BLAH I can already feel the laser looks I am getting from the usual suspects who will whine about how there is to much bashing about our football coach and they are tired of it lol. RELAX. COOL YOUR JETS! I am just on a quest to find our Bruce for football everybody. It is what is best for AU.

Good luck on your quest ....

But.... until you find that guy you might consider getting off the back of our coach and let the staff and players do their work and hope for the best.  Frankly the carping about Gus is tiresome......SO  ...RELAX, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING POSITIVE TO CONTRIBUTE ON THE SUBJECT.  That's probably what is best for AU.   

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Good luck on your quest ....

But.... until you find that guy you might consider getting off the back of our coach and let the staff and players do their work and hope for the best.  Frankly the carping about Gus is tiresome......SO  ...RELAX, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING POSITIVE TO CONTRIBUTE ON THE SUBJECT.  That's probably what is best for AU.   

Sure. Will do. Right after you give Bruce the credit he deserves. This is so rich coming from the guy who even with us being in the Elite 8 you were not impressed and STILL wanted to see more from bruce and was bagging on him. Take some of your own advice. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Sure. Will do. Right after you give Bruce the credit he deserves. This is so rich coming from the guy who even with us being in the Elite 8 you were not impressed and STILL wanted to see more from bruce and was bagging on him. Take some of your own advice. 

You infer the worst from my comments and typically misinterpret them too.  I'm fine with BP ….just not willing to open the bank vault over one exceptional season. 

PS...good luck on your quest....am interested to see which coach will be your candidate to save our football program. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

PS...good luck on your quest....am interested to see which coach will be your candidate to save our football program. 

Before the game, he said Purdue’s coach would show Gus what an offense with a real coach looked like. I doubt I have to say any more than that. 

With that said, 64, do you not consider our regular Season championship last year an exceptional year? We were predicted 14th in the conference and walloped the predictions.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

You infer the worst from my comments and typically misinterpret them too.  I'm fine with BP ….just not willing to open the bank vault over one exceptional season. 

No idea 64. It is a lot harder in football.  Way more of a crap shoot. BUT I rather at least keep firing that gun then be stuck in perpetual mediocrity. YOU WOULD THINK we will eventually hit on one of these shots lol. There are a lot more good college basketball coaches out there than football. So many times I have been sure a football coach was something and bought in to it only to be sorely disappointed. I am wrong A LOT. Way more than I am right. BUT A lot of times it is just pure dumb luck. Like Dabo with Clemson. NO ONE ever saw that coming. I hope we get lucky soon. We are due in football when it comes to a consistent great coach. It has been over 30 years since Pat Dyes hey day. I just hate seeing our little brother Clemson as a top 2 program in college football. It drives me crazy because that SHOULD BE US. 

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Before the game, he said Purdue’s coach would show Gus what an offense with a real coach looked like. I doubt I have to say any more than that. 

With that said, 64, do you not consider our regular Season championship last year an exceptional year? We were predicted 14th in the conference and walloped the predictions.  

I think it was exceptional for AU in a poor year for the SEC..but that is a pretty low bar in basketball. 

This year definitely counts.

But over the years about every SEC school gets it right for a couple seasons ..makes a good tournament run for 2 or three years.....and then is back in the middle of the pack and looking for a new coach.

I am not predicting anything...just looking at SEC history.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Way more of a crap shoot. BUT I rather at least keep firing that gun then be stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

THIS RIGHT HERE.

If every team and franchise waited on a guaranteed winner before making a change, then coaches would never get fired, because there are no guarantees.

That's the same mentality that Gus used to lose the 2015 DSOR. "Well, Sean's obviously hurt and can't throw the ball past the line of scrimmage... so we'll just stick with him. Who knows what might happen if we put in the athletic superfreak juco transfer who we brought in specifically to give our offense another dimension?!"

Gus is the coach for 2019 so this conversation is on the shelf for me for a few more months, but there's a question of basic logic here. How on earth do you just casually dispense with the notion of at least *trying* to make things better? What kind of thinking is that? 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think it was exceptional for AU in a poor year for the SEC..but that is a pretty low bar in basketball. 

But over the years about every SEC school gets it right for a couple seasons ..makes a good tournament run for 2 or three years.....and then is back in the middle of the pack and looking for a new coach.

This is the most sad post I've read on here in a long time. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That could be ..but my observations over the years is that history repeats itself....repeatedly repeats itself in fact.  That's especially true  at AU and in SEC sports in general...which is why its usually pretty easy to predict the future.  :dunno:   

We always hope for the best.....but bet the odds and on history...JMO...:)

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That could be ..but my observations over the years is that history repeats itself....repeatedly repeats itself in fact.  That's especially true  at AU and in SEC sports in general...which is why its usually pretty easy to predict the future.  :dunno:   

We always hope for the best.....but bet the odds and on history...JMO...:)

That might all be true, but man, that is a sad way to carry on in the middle of a historic moment for our basketball program.

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's the same mentality that Gus used to lose the 2015 DSOR. "Well, Sean's obviously hurt and can't throw the ball past the line of scrimmage... so we'll just stick with him.

That was the 2016 DSOR and obviously JF3 wasn’t an option at QB. He’s transferred numerous times and never made it as a QB everywhere he went.  

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If every team and franchise waited on a guaranteed winner before making a change, then coaches would never get fired, because there are no guarantees

Teams and franchises have to do their due diligence and make calculated moves. If the move doesn’t make sense in the end, don’t force it. That would be like Arkansas firing Mike Anderson just to end up with John Pelphrey. 

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That was the 2016 DSOR and obviously JF3 wasn’t an option at QB. He’s transferred numerous times and never made it as a QB everywhere he went.  

JF3 played in the Sugar Bowl that year when SW broke his arm, so, yes he was an option in the 2016 DSOR.  Gus does not know how to adjust from his original game plan, ever.  In the 2015 DSOR he went into the game planning to play SW at some point in the 3rd Qtr even though he was unable to perform and it was obvious on the first play.  He played three series and fumbled on his last series.  UGA scored to take the lead.

It appears Gus goes into games (post 2014) knowing if he will win or lose and shows no competitive spirit during the game.  There are several examples such as the 2015 MSU game, the 2015&16 DSOR, Clemson 2016, SECCG 2017 and of course the 2018 Iron Bowl where he knew he wasn’t going to win and shut it down so we wouldn’t lose so badly. (I wonder what Dabo would have done?)

If he wins it all this year, he should be fired just on principle.  I truly hope a QB emerges and our OL comes together early so Gus will have confidence in the offensive side of the ball going into ball games.  The defense will be stellar. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It appears Gus goes into games (post 2014) knowing if he will win or lose and shows no competitive spirit during the game.  There are several examples such as the 2015 MSU game, the 2015&16 DSOR, Clemson 2016, SECCG 2017 and of course the 2018 Iron Bowl where he knew he wasn’t going to win and shut it down so we wouldn’t lose so badly.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016 Clemson, especially. He decided before the first whistle that his players weren't good enough to move the ball. Very sad moment. And I never thought it would happen again until this last IB. WTF. 

It is the #1 lesson he has to learn. It all goes back to trusting your guys- players and coaches- to do their jobs. Until you do, Coach, you're not doing your job. Lack of trust and lack of guts from the top has lost more games the last 6 years than any perceived lack of available talent. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think it was exceptional for AU in a poor year for the SEC..but that is a pretty low bar in basketball

UN freaking REAL. All right clearly I have made a big mis calculation here. If that is really the attitude you have after a championship for AU IN BASKETBALL? I mean............ Aight man. That is.............. just wow. WOW WOW WOW. OK. Looks like we are done here. It is obvious there is no reason to discuss basketball and Bruce with you when you have that attitude. I am so out. 

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

How could I take it any other way?! I mean really. ANSWER ME THAT. But yah it is just me and everyone else who has seen you constantly throw passive aggressive shots at bruce EVEN during our greatest year in AU basketball history misinterpreting what you say..........  Clearly you are not fine wit BP with that attitude. All right you clearly are not going to change. You never will change. And this is just futile to continue on with this. I apologize because clearly I have made a big mistake engaging with you on this when I know how stubborn you are. I will take this L and take a knee on this. You just keep doing you man when it comes to Bruce. I will get out of your way. 

lmaoooo 8 SEC teams made the tournament last year. What a "down" year hahahaha some of these posts are comically asinine. 2nd most teams in the entire country last year. ACC had 9. I swear I've seen some dumb posts on this board but there are some indisputable top 5 dumbest posts in this thread. We got a poster claiming to look at history as a way to back up his point but flatly ignoring Bruce's accomplishments in his own history. It's clear some posts are just living in a different reality. I don't envy those that can't understand the value of what we have.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

JF3 played in the Sugar Bowl that year when SW broke his arm, so, yes he was an option in the 2016 DSOR

He got garbage time. He moved positions at his next school because he was a horrible QB. He was never a viable option. 

Gus does not know how to adjust from his original game plan, ever

How did we beat A&M last year?

If he wins it all this year, he should be fired just on principle

Oh, you’re one of those. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's a level of cynicism that is easy for me to relate to as an Ole Miss grad, but as an Auburn fan I'm totally unfamiliar with it. There are certain fan bases that accept and expect mediocrity because in their hearts they really believe their programs are mediocre. Expecting anything more becomes unrealistic, and even worse, they don't feel like they deserve the success that they do achieve, or at best they are resigned to the belief that the success won't last. 

The one thing that I know to be true is that if you don't set your goals high enough, you won't ever achieve what you want in life. Bruce Pearl embodies that. I don't know if many of our players really believed they could win a National Championship early in the season. Now look at us. 

Archived