The Hype Begins

toddc

6 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Unless he learns to be an effective passer, we'll be in as bad a shape with Gatewood as with Willis. If we're limited to RPO, screens and hail mary's, Gus will be coaching his last season here. 

We're limited to those no matter who the QB is. 

Gatewood gives us a totally different dimension than Willis with his size, and he quite likely has a significant advantage between the ears. 

As for Gus, his only hope IMO is to get the run game back to a point where we don't need a complete passing attack to win games. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

A-Day should be as vanilla as can be. The closed scrimmages, all of them, need to be full 100% live. Blitzes, the works. 

French Vanilla?  Vanilla Bean?  Tahitian Vanilla?  Store Brand Vanilla?  Please elaborate!

What is the gatewood most talented QB nonsense. He may have to scrape for 2md most talented. Best athlete, yes, but that doesn't make you the best QB and people here, and Gus, need to realize that. 

21 hours ago, Beaker said:

Is it me, or was Bo's delivery or arm speed noticeably faster?

Does that translate into a quicker delivery?  It has to right?   Obviously a 30 second clip means nothing, but I noticed that.  

It was and that’s a very good sign . Watch Brady and Peyton’s arm release speed. Extremely important . That’s part of the package you want. Now if his mind and eyesight matches it we have the makings of an All American.

20 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah nothing like the ole Gus taking 3 or 4 games to figure out his best lineup. Trust be damned. The most talented should start. We should not let someone start just because they have been around the longest... That's #ButGus for you. 

I've never in my life seen a coach who just wastes the "preseason" as much as Gus does.

Maybe by game 4 he will figure out his teams strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately for Gus, starting the season that way in 2019 may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

I hope he can do something he has NEVER done in his time as head coach of Auburn and have his best lineup figured out by game 1 and not game 3 or 4.

I believe this is the camel you are referring to? It ain't happening. We been through a herd of camel's already. Just accept that what we are accustomed to will happen again. Wasting your time thinking things will change. That goes for a lot of y'all.

IMG_1756.JPG

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

We're limited to those no matter who the QB is. 

Gatewood gives us a totally different dimension than Willis with his size, and he quite likely has a significant advantage between the ears. 

As for Gus, his only hope IMO is to get the run game back to a point where we don't need a complete passing attack to win games. 

I actually think all four have the ability now we are looking for one that has the knowledge, attitude and winning desire as well as a take command leader. Whoever that is will be the guy.

I think we would all can agree Joey is the best athlete of the QBs from what we have seen. But Gus has to start the one who gives Auburn the best chance to win. I haven't seen anything yet (HS or College) that convinces me that JG is our best passer. He may be but we haven't seen the evidence. But I have seen enough from Bo to convince me he is the most mentally and physically prepared freshman QB ever at Auburn. That being said it's still possible things don't work out for BN at Auburn.  Some of you even suggest Bo should redshirt.  I think we all know 5*  QBs don't go to college to redshirt.  No matter how this unfolds one thing is for sure.  It will be exciting at Auburn this spring and fall.  WDE

42 minutes ago, autan said:

I think we would all can agree Joey is the best athlete of the QBs from what we have seen. But Gus has to start the one who gives Auburn the best chance to win. I haven't seen anything yet (HS or College) that convinces me that JG is our best passer. He may be but we haven't seen the evidence. But I have seen enough from Bo to convince me he is the most mentally and physically prepared freshman QB ever at Auburn. That being said it's still possible things don't work out for BN at Auburn.  Some of you even suggest Bo should redshirt.  I think we all know 5*  QBs don't go to college to redshirt.  No matter how this unfolds one thing is for sure.  It will be exciting at Auburn this spring and fall.  WDE

Jameis did. And he won the Heisman the next year 

14 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Jameis did. And he won the Heisman the next year 

Yes he did but he also had a multi year starter  who was an NFL prospect ahead of him. A little bit different than what we have right now. 

1 hour ago, autan said:

haven't seen anything yet (HS or College) that convinces me that JG is our best passer

Why do you suppose best passer right now to  best chance to succeed?

2 hours ago, autan said:

But I have seen enough from Bo to convince me he is the most mentally and physically prepared freshman QB ever at Auburn

No you haven’t. 

6 hours ago, DAG said:

This is why I disagree with this assessment...Gatewood is always going to be bigger and take more hits than Nix just off of pure size. How fair would the evaluation be if Joey plays game 1 against a formidable opponent and then Bo goes against a much lesser opponent in game 2? Also, you set Nix up for failure because now he is playing against far less talent than he will see once the SEC schedule rolls around. You've already handicapped him by not allowing him to face Oregon. Now,  you are going to suggest that he will be ready to play against the Aggies AT college station based on how he did against Tulane and possibly kent state?

Excellent point, but you are assuming my near perfect plan is to prepare them for SEC schedule and it's not.    I am just trying to get Bo to game 2 in tact where he can play a real game with less risk.   We can lose Oregon and win the SEC....just stating the obvious.  And then we have to trust the judgment of the staff to evaluate the two games. 😉

Now, we could then let each QB have a half in game three so you are looking at apples to apples, but less I digress.   

I, in no way,  wanted anyone to think the two games are equal tests....very different.  

As you probably read, where I was almost quoted on ESPN - The Ocho,  "this near perfect plan, gives both real game experience and a measure of control to the staff and players."   And as Coach Gus will see, it helps him prepare a master gameplan without playing 3 QBs in the same half.    Because we all know Gus struggles evaluating and naming QBs....this near perfect plan removes the pressure of naming a starter and let's everyone plan accordingly (NOW).  

59 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

An article on Al.Com wrote in a piece on Malzahn that Bo only stayed at Auburn, because of Gus sticking around (supposedly said by the family).

that's really interesting to me 

Let’s just pretend that we are all completely unbiased and objective. I wouldn’t want to settle for a brand new coaching staff either. I know some has but that’s got to be abnormal given the amount of relationships involved. 

With tbat said, biases are off now, we are Auburn and we initially finished number 2 with Fields and he ended up at Ohio State after transferring out. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

An article on Al.Com wrote in a piece on Malzahn that Bo only stayed at Auburn, because of Gus sticking around (supposedly said by the family).

that's really interesting to me 

Not unheard of for players to commit to the coach, not the program, TBH

On 3/19/2019 at 8:06 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

Does anybody think there's a snowball's chance that a true "pecking order" (i.e. starter) will be named by Gus after A-Day?

No, but it will be interesting. The true battle begins during camp.

6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I believe this is the camel you are referring to? It ain't happening. We been through a herd of camel's already. Just accept that what we are accustomed to will happen again. Wasting your time thinking things will change. That goes for a lot of y'all.

IMG_1756.JPG

Claude Allen Greene IV is not Jay Jacobs. Until he proves otherwise, I refuse to believe he will allow his program to be set back by a coach he did not hire. We are paying top 5 money for a coach that no one in their right mind would call a top 5 coach. 

So you can accept things as JABA, but Auburn Athletics is under different leadership. Like I said, ADAG is NOT JJ.

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Claude Allen Greene IV is not Jay Jacobs. Until he proves otherwise, I refuse to believe he will allow his program to be set back by a coach he did not hire. We are paying top 5 money for a coach that no one in their right mind would call a top 5 coach. 

So you can accept things as JABA, but Auburn Athletics is under different leadership. Like I said, ADAG is NOT JJ.

Well stated.   Great points.

Honestly, I think how he chooses to work with Bruce this Spring (new contract) will be telling.   I agree, he did not hire Gus and won't accept a set back.   Our problem (Auburn) is that is often kinda hard to definitively tell the root cause of the set backs.    And this isn't just Auburn, but seems like with injuries late in the season, there is arguing and too much debate.  

I know you and I can correctly tell (haha); but  seriously, I don't see the AD pulling the plug unless the root causes are pretty clear.  

That being said, I wholeheartily want Gus to be wildly successful, win a NC and be here for 10 yrs.   But I am not stepping on the bus until I see some fundamental changes.  

WDE!

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Let’s just pretend that we are all completely unbiased and objective. I wouldn’t want to settle for a brand new coaching staff either. I know some has but that’s got to be abnormal given the amount of relationships involved. 

With tbat said, biases are off now, we are Auburn and we initially finished number 2 with Fields and he ended up at Ohio State after transferring out. 

Not sure whether to give this the face palm or the high five..:dunno::muscles:

Hope. Not hype. You meant hope. Right???

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I honestly don’t understand the pertinence of the second paragraph 

It meant that relationships don’t mean everything...We were number two out of HS for Fields yet he transferred and joined a staff with a brand new HC at a school that wasn’t much of a factor for him in HS. 

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Well I know you are well connected and all so you know your stuff. I just disagree. After watching him through HS, Nix is a much better passer and complete quarterback and he is only a freshman. Gatewood is a superior athlete overall. 

That is what makes this place fun - a lot of differing opinions.

Either way we should be fine with joey or bo in the future. I would be shocked if Willis is the man. 

I said talented QB. Which Gatewood is. His talent is unreal. Has a better arm, faster, bigger and stronger than Bo will ever be. Bo is the better QB out of the two. I just don't see Gus starting a true freshman. I do see Bo playing day one. 

Archived