depth chart, position analysis

aubiefifty

Whitlow is surprisingly good imo. Especially with how much our OL got pushed back last season. Give Whitlow a head of steam and he can be one of the best in the SEC. He has great awareness for seeing the holes, and he keeps his feet under him pretty well. Kind of reminds me of Rudi.

Shivers i feel like would be cranking out absurd numbers at a non-power 5 conference school. But against SEC competition, his size definitely limits him. He's great as a 3rd down back, but he's not a guy you want as a starter in a Malzahn offense that runs up the middle every 3rd play.

51 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Whitlow is surprisingly good imo. Especially with how much our OL got pushed back last season. Give Whitlow a head of steam and he can be one of the best in the SEC. He has great awareness for seeing the holes, and he keeps his feet under him pretty well. Kind of reminds me of Rudi.

Shivers i feel like would be cranking out absurd numbers at a non-power 5 conference school. But against SEC competition, his size definitely limits him. He's great as a 3rd down back, but he's not a guy you want as a starter in a Malzahn offense that runs up the middle every 3rd play.

Image result for sigh gif

Every back doesn't have to be 230.... I know that's hard to believe but I swear it's true. People told me that  kerryon was too small as well though. Like everything else though, I guess we'll see!

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

We might be hurting at safety

I feel the same way about Whitlow. IMO, he's not a #1 back. I think Shivers has the tools and mindset/attitude to be a #1.

Dyer was 5'9" and ~210 lbs

Noel Devine was 5'8" and ~ 180

Shivers is 5'7" and ~ 187- 193 lbs

They aren't built that differently, but Shivers,like Devine, is a TD every time he touches the ball. And unlike others, he runs equally well inside or out.

As far as the secondary I think tutt development will be key for entire secondary

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as the secondary I think tutt development will be key for entire secondary

Him and McCreary both. Losing Smoke this spring will be felt this fall

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ask and you shall receive!

Christian Tutt’s development at Nickel holds the key to Auburn’s secondary

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn's Christian Tutt (right) has settled in at the Nickel position after spending most of his life playing corner. His emergence in that role could be key to Auburn's secondary this fall.

Six months ago, Christian Tutt was still getting a feel for his new position.

After playing cornerback throughout his life, Tutt was adjusting to an early-season move inside to Nickel. Now, as Auburn readies for the 2019 season, Tutt’s development at that position could hold the key to the Tigers’ secondary.

“Tutt is totally a Star,” said defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who spoke Monday to the Emerald Coast Auburn Club in Niceville, Fla. “He’s a Nickel. He does not work at corner…. When we’re playing roughly 86 percent of our snaps in Nickel, so that’s basically base defense now and that’s because of what we’re having to defend in the league now.”

Tutt’s acclimation to and emergence in the slot has allowed Auburn to move Javaris Davis back to cornerback full-time. It was a needed move, especially after the early departure of No. 1 corner Jamel Dean, who was selected in the third round of last weekend’s NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Davis spent most of last season at Star, but he has always been a better fit at corner.

“JD does both and can do both, and do it at a high level, but Tutt is a Star,” Steele said. 

Now, Davis is set to start at corner opposite Noah Igbinoghene, giving the Tigers a formidable tandem on the outside. Tutt, meanwhile, is in line to take over the full-time starting job at Nickel, where he started one game as a freshman in 2018 against Ole Miss.

Tutt finished his freshman campaign with 25 tackles, including one sack, to go along with an interception and a pair of quarterback hurries. 

“Tutt had a very solid freshman year and like a lot of rookies toward the end of the year some things had gotten better, but then also there were some things that were still left for improvement and he worked really, really hard in the offseason,” Steele said.

Tutt worked to reshape his body this spring, dropping some weight (he’s now listed at 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds after playing at 195 pounds as a freshman) and improving his quickness in the process. That latter part is crucial to the Nickel position, which has to do more lateral movement in-game than the traditional cornerback. 

Tutt’s ability to move fluidly in that regard could help Auburn solidify its secondary this fall. During spring practice, head coach Gus Malzahn said it just “feels different out there” for Tutt now that he has a year of experience and is settled in to his role at Nickel.

“He had a very, very productive spring,” Steele said. “But the thing about Tutt is he loves football, he loves to compete, he is extremely tenacious in terms of the way he goes about things. He's a very intense football player and he plays with an edge.”

2 hours ago, toddc said:

When we’re playing roughly 86 percent of our snaps in Nickel, so that’s basically base defense now

Well then, I guess that means we have plenty of LB depth.

• WarTiger changed the title to depth chart, position analysis
2 hours ago, toddc said:

Ask and you shall receive!

Christian Tutt’s development at Nickel holds the key to Auburn’s secondary

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn's Christian Tutt (right) has settled in at the Nickel position after spending most of his life playing corner. His emergence in that role could be key to Auburn's secondary this fall.

Six months ago, Christian Tutt was still getting a feel for his new position.

After playing cornerback throughout his life, Tutt was adjusting to an early-season move inside to Nickel. Now, as Auburn readies for the 2019 season, Tutt’s development at that position could hold the key to the Tigers’ secondary.

“Tutt is totally a Star,” said defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who spoke Monday to the Emerald Coast Auburn Club in Niceville, Fla. “He’s a Nickel. He does not work at corner…. When we’re playing roughly 86 percent of our snaps in Nickel, so that’s basically base defense now and that’s because of what we’re having to defend in the league now.”

Tutt’s acclimation to and emergence in the slot has allowed Auburn to move Javaris Davis back to cornerback full-time. It was a needed move, especially after the early departure of No. 1 corner Jamel Dean, who was selected in the third round of last weekend’s NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Davis spent most of last season at Star, but he has always been a better fit at corner.

“JD does both and can do both, and do it at a high level, but Tutt is a Star,” Steele said. 

Now, Davis is set to start at corner opposite Noah Igbinoghene, giving the Tigers a formidable tandem on the outside. Tutt, meanwhile, is in line to take over the full-time starting job at Nickel, where he started one game as a freshman in 2018 against Ole Miss.

Tutt finished his freshman campaign with 25 tackles, including one sack, to go along with an interception and a pair of quarterback hurries. 

“Tutt had a very solid freshman year and like a lot of rookies toward the end of the year some things had gotten better, but then also there were some things that were still left for improvement and he worked really, really hard in the offseason,” Steele said.

Tutt worked to reshape his body this spring, dropping some weight (he’s now listed at 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds after playing at 195 pounds as a freshman) and improving his quickness in the process. That latter part is crucial to the Nickel position, which has to do more lateral movement in-game than the traditional cornerback. 

Tutt’s ability to move fluidly in that regard could help Auburn solidify its secondary this fall. During spring practice, head coach Gus Malzahn said it just “feels different out there” for Tutt now that he has a year of experience and is settled in to his role at Nickel.

“He had a very, very productive spring,” Steele said. “But the thing about Tutt is he loves football, he loves to compete, he is extremely tenacious in terms of the way he goes about things. He's a very intense football player and he plays with an edge.”

I wish I could get paid to just talk sports

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I wish I could get paid to just talk sports

Don’t we all! I think you would be lights out on b-ball!

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Don’t we all! I think you would be lights out on b-ball!

Thanks! Preciate it.

3 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Smoke will be back 

Yes, but the loss of time and reps will be evident

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yes, but the loss of time and reps will be evident

Always with the negative waves bird..........................:hanged:

On 5/1/2019 at 1:34 PM, cole256 said:

I can’t explain why but I have a weird confidence this dude will be a ridiculously good player. 

On 4/30/2019 at 4:11 PM, bigbird said:

We might be hurting at safety

I feel the same way about Whitlow. IMO, he's not a #1 back. I think Shivers has the tools and mindset/attitude to be a #1.

Dyer was 5'9" and ~210 lbs

Noel Devine was 5'8" and ~ 180

Shivers is 5'7" and ~ 187- 193 lbs

They aren't built that differently, but Shivers,like Devine, is a TD every time he touches the ball. And unlike others, he runs equally well inside or out.

All three of them are shorter than the listed heights. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

I think a lot of it is just him developing as a RB

A year of experience will make a difference...for the OL guys and for Boobie too IMO.   :Plus I might be drinking the orange and blue Kool aid but I am really optimistic about our QB situation. 

On 5/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, bigbird said:

Him and McCreary both. Losing Smoke this spring will be felt this fall

I must have missed something about Smoke. Will he be back for fall camp?  Thanks! & WDE !! home of the original 50/50 professor...not the Doc but the Bird!

I may be in the minority here, but i think Gus will try to do with DJ Williams and Boobee what he wanted to do with KJ and Bubba Pettway. 

I love me some Worm Shivers. He will make an amazing change of pace 3rd back. But i just dont see DJ being kept off the field. He seems THAT good. And seems to have an extra gear that Boobee doesnt have...

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I may be in the minority here, but i think Gus will try to do with DJ Williams and Boobee what he wanted to do with KJ and Bubba Pettway. 

I love me some Worm Shivers. He will make an amazing change of pace 3rd back. But i just dont see DJ being kept off the field. He seems THAT good. And seems to have an extra gear that Boobee doesnt have...

Is this based on his hs film or on the spring game?

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Then why not Shivers/Williams as the two? Shivers isn't a change of pace, 3rd down back.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Then why not Shivers/Williams as the two? Shivers isn't a change of pace, 3rd down back.

In essence it's a rhetorical question- it's always the same ignorant answer- but I'm glad I'm not the only one still asking it.

I really like Shivers. He's a home run threat every time he touches the ball.  My biggest concern for him would be blocking.  He's tough enough, but it is just going to be a size mismatch. I'm fine with running back by committee as long as they are all good, and I think they are.  Saves wear and tear on everybody. Gus seems to like a feature back though.

Archived