Rod and Paula Bramblett Killed in Car Accident

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I honestly don't or think it would be easier to get if decriminalized. It was easier for me to buy weed than it was cigarettes when I was in high school. 

Buying weed at Auburn in the early 2000s was simple.  I can't imagine it's gotten any harder.  Hell, Willie's Wings used to advertise on the general basis of "are you high and hungry at 2 am?  Call us!"

(I was and I did....great advertising Willie's!)

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate it for the kid. I have had weed discussions on here a lot. I smoked weed several times as a teenager. Never mine, never bought it, never rolled a joint, never carried it on my person or in my vehicle. When I did it it was peer pressure. I hated it because it would make me fall asleep. I don’t think I ever enjoyed it. I know I’m in the minority in this regard. I never understood why people risk so much with something I hate.

i do recall in the days right after the accident people saying the driver fell asleep. Maybe he reacts to it like I do or maybe it wasn’t a factor at all. But I work a rotation shift now and get scary close to falling asleep on the way home at times. I don’t do any drugs and don’t drink at work but that’s where I’m most vulnerable behind the wheel. I guess that’s why I pity the kid.  I could have found myself there at that age or even now. 

Will not be surprised if another person (the one who sold/possessed/shared the marijuana) is charged very soon. Especially considering the nature of this matter. Such an awful situation. 

7 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

We've all done dumb stuff, but this is different. There are dumb mistakes, and then there is driving 90 on a city street, which is borderline homicidal. Add in the influence of drugs and I absolutely think he should he should be tried as an adult. Accidents happen, but driving 90 while high is not an accident. There have to be consequences for this type of criminal recklessness. 

He's 16.  Driving 90 is normal, dumb but most of us did it as a teen.  Weed is normal too, unfortunately.  I've actually never smoked weed (shockingly) but I get that its very common.  He prolly knows what is right and what is wrong from a definition standpoint - but doesn't fully understand right from wrong and the consequences of actions.  I'm connecting a few dots here but my guess is he has grown up in a middle class bubble and didn't fully understand real world consequences yet.  Admittedly, I am totally biased and thinking about my own sons in this situation but dang if being a dumbass was a crime 60% of the country would be in trouble.

He is probably going to jail.  At 16.  For a long time.  Scary enough for a grown ass man.   It ain't gonna be no picnic.

Hell, I still do 90 mph from time to time... in a friggen minivan (on the interstate).  #thuglife

5 hours ago, The Freak said:

He's 16.  Driving 90 is normal, dumb but most of us did it as a teen.  Weed is normal too, unfortunately.  I've actually never smoked weed (shockingly) but I get that its very common.  He prolly knows what is right and what is wrong from a definition standpoint - but doesn't fully understand right from wrong and the consequences of actions.  I'm connecting a few dots here but my guess is he has grown up in a middle class bubble and didn't fully understand real world consequences yet.  Admittedly, I am totally biased and thinking about my own sons in this situation but dang if being a dumbass was a crime 60% of the country would be in trouble.

He is probably going to jail.  At 16.  For a long time.  Scary enough for a grown ass man.   It ain't gonna be no picnic.

Hell, I still do 90 mph from time to time... in a friggen minivan (on the interstate).  #thuglife

Well then please stay off the road because you are dangerous. Your definition of dumb and dangerous is a pretty thin line. 

7 hours ago, The Freak said:

Please stay in Tennessee and far away from roads near me. Too many careless drivers causing problems for the good drivers.

7 hours ago, The Freak said:

This is my point - driving 90 on the interstate is speeding, but maybe only 20 over the limit and maybe only 10 or so over what is really safe depending on the conditions. It's restricted access and on a divided highway.

Driving 90 on a city street where there are intersections, cross traffic etc. is homicidal, almost guaranteed to maim or kill someone. There is really no comparison. I guarantee I never went anywhere close to 90 on a city street, at any age. I don't think most of us have. That isn't normal or excusable. 

1 minute ago, Sani-Freeze said:

This is my point - driving 90 on the interstate is speeding, but maybe only 20 over the limit and maybe only 10 or so over what is really safe depending on the conditions. It's restricted access and on a divided highway.

Driving 90 on a city street where there are intersections, cross traffic etc. is homicidal, almost guaranteed to maim or kill someone. There is really no comparison. I guarantee I never went anywhere close to 90 on a city street, at any age. I don't think most of us have. That isn't normal or excusable. 

Going 90 in the interstate is not safe. It’s not safe with a lambo does it or a minivan, which is why we have speed limits. Now, with that being said, people can drive at their own discretion or peril. One thing my father use to tell me : “play stupid games, win stupid prizes.”

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well then please stay off the road because you are dangerous. Your definition of dumb and dangerous is a pretty thin line. 

11 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Please stay in Tennessee and far away from roads near me. Too many careless drivers causing problems for the good drivers.

Candy asses.

1 minute ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Agreed. I'm an aggressive driver. And when I was a kid, I was a complete dumbass. But 90 in town is out of bounds. 

90 on the interstate? Not uncommon. And not dangerous under normal conditions. 

Just now, DAG said:

Going 90 in the interstate is not safe. It’s not safe with a lambo does it or a minivan, which is why we have speed limits. Now, with that being said, people can drive at their own discretion or peril. One thing my father use to tell me : “play stupid games, win stupid prizes.”

Most safety laws are designed with the lowest common denominator in mind.

Think about leash laws for dogs. There are TONS of dogs that are perfectly safe to leave off leash. But on the leash they stay because of dumbass owners and/or dumbass dogs. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Most safety laws are designed with the lowest common denominator in mind.

Think about leash laws for dogs. There are TONS of dogs that are perfectly safe to leave off leash. But on the leash they stay because of dumbass owners and/or dumbass dogs. 

And for good reason 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

If he fell asleep he probably didn’t know he was going 90. 

My best friend from high school died that way. Took his two half-sibs with him. They were probably all asleep. The road curved and they didn't curve with it. 

Just now, DAG said:

And for good reason 

Yes, for good reason. But not because it's actually unsafe for *everyone*. 

Plenty of people can very safely operate outside of countless safety regulations. 90 mph is not an unsafe speed on an interstate for everyone. It's only unsafe for those incapable of doing it properly, which includes knowing when it's okay and when it isn't. 

17 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

So many accidents where I am at in Milwaukee , usually due to people speeding and the sad thing , the casualties are usually those who weren’t speeding. Wrong place at the wrong time 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

If he fell asleep he probably didn’t know he was going 90. 

True, but I have been skeptical of this all along. Shug Jordan is a loop, meaning you are never on it for more than a few minutes. It's not 85 or 280 where you could understand someone nodding off. It's hard to believe the kid successfully turned onto the road and then two minutes later he lost total consciousness and stomped the pedal through the floor. Usually when people fall asleep they don't accelerate. I had initially wondered if he had a seizure or something - but if that were the case he wouldn't be charged. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, for good reason. But not because it's actually unsafe for *everyone*. 

Plenty of people can very safely operate outside of countless safety regulations. 90 mph is not an unsafe speed on an interstate for everyone. It's only unsafe for those incapable of doing it properly, which includes knowing when it's okay and when it isn't. 

And I disagree. I don’t think you should be doing 20 mph over the speed limit unless there is an emergency to be dealt with . Just because you feel like your safe doesn’t mean you should put others at risk. Like honestly , I can’t see any rationale as to why you think it is okay to drive 90 in a 7. If you got pulled over by the cop, what exactly are you going to say?

13 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

True, but I have been skeptical of this all along. Shug Jordan is a loop, meaning you are never on it for more than a few minutes. It's not 85 or 280 where you could understand someone nodding off. It's hard to believe the kid successfully turned onto the road and then two minutes later he lost total consciousness and stomped the pedal through the floor. Usually when people fall asleep they don't accelerate. I had initially wondered if he had a seizure or something - but if that were the case he wouldn't be charged. 

Shug Jordan has a history of being particularly dangerous in the area where Rod and Paula where killed. People driving to fast and a lot of access from being adjacent to campus and student housing. I have heard local policemen comment on avoiding that stretch while off duty and pen pointing it as off limits to family members. 

I am with you on the falling asleep/acceleration. 

57 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

This is my thinking too, the "I passed out" angle doesn't add up for me. I've never fallen asleep while driving but my eyes have glazed over a few times to where I had to pull off and walk around for a few minutes. Most recent time was a few weeks ago when I was driving alone from Orlando to Tallahassee, I was less than an hour from getting home, it was after midnight and I had to pull off I-10 to walk around and do some jumping jacks. Unless you have something in your system or are a narcoleptic it creeps up on you. The monotony of the road is where you let your guard down. Unless he hadn't slept in two days I don't understand how that happens driving in town with other cars and lights. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Shug Jordan has a history of being particularly dangerous in the area where Rod and Paula where killed. People driving to fast and a lot of access from being adjacent to campus and student housing. I have heard local policemen comment on avoiding that stretch while off duty and pen pointing it as off limits to family members. 

I am with you on the falling asleep/acceleration. 

My parents didn’t like me driving there when I was young. Hwy 280 also.

17 hours ago, alexava said:

I hate it for the kid. I have had weed discussions on here a lot. I smoked weed several times as a teenager. Never mine, never bought it, never rolled a joint, never carried it on my person or in my vehicle. When I did it it was peer pressure. I hated it because it would make me fall asleep. I don’t think I ever enjoyed it. I know I’m in the minority in this regard. I never understood why people risk so much with something I hate.

i do recall in the days right after the accident people saying the driver fell asleep. Maybe he reacts to it like I do or maybe it wasn’t a factor at all. But I work a rotation shift now and get scary close to falling asleep on the way home at times. I don’t do any drugs and don’t drink at work but that’s where I’m most vulnerable behind the wheel. I guess that’s why I pity the kid.  I could have found myself there at that age or even now. 

Describes my weed usage to a T.........couldnt roll a joint if my life depended on it......never even attempted..........this young man will carry this the rest of his life.......I too pity the kid.........its very sad for both sides.

2 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Im not buying the "sleeping" defense.   

Archived