so the camps are like country clubs huh?

aubiefifty

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And yet his disdain for Democrats is palpable. I don't think he's changing the facts, but saying that the House is committing "extortion" is not a fact. 

And that is where the opinion comes in.  My purpose for posting the article was to present facts about who built these camps.  It is difficult to weed out opinion from fact in some of these articles.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

And that is where the opinion comes in.  My purpose for posting the article was to present facts about who built these camps.  It is difficult to weed out opinion from fact in some of these articles.

just so you know trump is having a bunch of them built right now. unless congress stopped him. i know he is trying.

snopes.com

FACT CHECK: Did President Trump Order the Building of 'Concentration Camps'?

The web site Learn Progress published an article in January 2017 reporting that President Trump was building “concentration camps” in the United States:

BREAKING: Donald Trump is Having Feds Build ‘Concentration Camp’ Detention Centers. Why?

We’ve all been outraged over the fact that Donald Trump is moving full-steam ahead on his Muslim immigration ban. If you thought that was bad, then wait ‘til you hear what the Orange Tyrant is doing next.

Donald Trump is now setting his sights on punishing undocumented immigrants in America. Shockingly, Trump just signed a directive to create new camps — concentration camps — where such immigrants will be held for deportation.

This article was based on an executive order signed by President Trump on 25 January 2017. That order did include a provision regarding the construction of more detention centers along the U.S.-Mexican border, but the headline of Learn Progress’ article placed the term “Concentration Camps” in quotes, making it seemed as if the detention centers were to be something new and (onerously) different on the American landscape.

President Trump’s executive order would not create the United States’ first detention centers for immigrants. As of this writing, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement operate 111 detention facilities in the United States, many of which are situated along the U.S.-Mexican border:

Sec. 5.  Detention Facilities.  (a)  The Secretary shall take all appropriate action and allocate all legally available resources to immediately construct, operate, control, or establish contracts to construct, operate, or control facilities to detain aliens at or near the land border with Mexico.

(b)  The Secretary shall take all appropriate action and allocate all legally available resources to immediately assign asylum officers to immigration detention facilities for the purpose of accepting asylum referrals and conducting credible fear determinations pursuant to section 235(b)(1) of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1225(b)(1)) and applicable regulations and reasonable fear determinations pursuant to applicable regulations.

(c)  The Attorney General shall take all appropriate action and allocate all legally available resources to immediately assign immigration judges to immigration detention facilities operated or controlled by the Secretary, or operated or controlled pursuant to contract by the Secretary, for the purpose of conducting proceedings authorized under title 8, chapter 12, subchapter II, United States Code.

Sec. 6.  Detention for Illegal Entry.  The Secretary shall immediately take all appropriate actions to ensure the detention of aliens apprehended for violations of immigration law pending the outcome of their removal proceedings or their removal from the country to the extent permitted by law.  The Secretary shall issue new policy guidance to all Department of Homeland Security personnel regarding the appropriate and consistent use of lawful detention authority under the INA, including the termination of the practice commonly known as “catch and release,” whereby aliens are routinely released in the United States shortly after their apprehension for violations of immigration law.

Although labeling such detention facilities as “concentration camps” is problematic (for many the term conjures up images of the inhumane treatment, torture, and murder that took place in such camps established by Nazi-era Germany), the United States has been criticized for the reported treatment of detainees in American facilities:

The U.S. government has the largest immigration detention system in the world, and that is nothing to be proud of. The underlying problem with immigration detention is that most detainees are only guilty of being in the U.S. without authorization, which is a civil offense, not a crime.

Yet detainees are treated like criminals, held behind bars and barbed wire, often in remote locations. In fact, in at least one respect, immigration detainees are treated worse than criminals: Criminal defendants have the right to a speedy adjudication and to court-appointed legal counsel. Immigration detainees do not.

Detention punishes people in disproportionate relation to their alleged infractions, and contributes to the misconception that undocumented immigrants are criminals.

15 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Sec. 5.  Detention Facilities.  (a)  The Secretary shall take all appropriate action and allocate all legally available resources to immediately construct, operate, control, or establish contracts to construct, operate, or control facilities to detain aliens at or near the land border with Mexico.

And there you have it. 

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And there you have it. 

Now that dems finally came around, perhaps this will happen. Should not have taken this long.

In case anyone wants to realize how pathetic our country's leadership is today, let's look at the big picture... we have way more people coming into this country illegally than we can accommodate/process so we need to build more facilities to hold them. That's like saying that the bath water is about to overflow my bathtub so I need to put in a bigger tub...the obvious answer is to turn off the water.

I am curious, are some of you saying that the current administration is intentionally letting in way more illegals so that our resources will be inundated so that they can then claim a crisis caused by the other side?

16 minutes ago, Grumps said:

In case anyone wants to realize how pathetic our country's leadership is today, let's look at the big picture... we have way more people coming into this country illegally than we can accommodate/process so we need to build more facilities to hold them. That's like saying that the bath water is about to overflow my bathtub so I need to put in a bigger tub...the obvious answer is to turn off the water.

I am curious, are some of you saying that the current administration is intentionally letting in way more illegals so that our resources will be inundated so that they can then claim a crisis caused by the other side?

i am worried about the children we have kidnapped and taken from their mothers. i am upset for those living in filth with no basic human needs. you worry about the number grumps and not one word of regret or sorrow for the kids?  just wow. we know there is crisis at the border. we are ashamed at the way they are treated as animals. between obama's last two years an trumps first two over 4500 kids have been sexually abused. this is reported by cbs and on record with human resources. we can do better and those kids deserve better. i would copy and paste the article but it will not allow me. we are better than this. if this is supposed to be a christian nation we are a sorry role model with those kids.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Or perhaps pull the drain plug out. :glare: 

Actually, we can afford to process and take these people in.  They typically work harder than native born Americans and value the opportunities.  They will eventually make good citizens. Citizens that our economy will need in the not too distant future:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2018/12/21/us-population-growth-hits-80-year-low-capping-off-a-year-of-demographic-stagnation/

US population growth hits 80-year low, capping off a year of demographic stagnation

"........This leaves immigration as an ever-more-important contributor to national population growth. In 2001-2002, natural increase exceeded immigration by 50 percent and that was when immigration was slightly higher than this year (1.05 million vs 0.99 million). Because of the recent decline in natural increase, immigration now contributes nearly as much to population growth, and is projected to be the primary contributor to national population growth after 2030 as natural increase continues to decline. Thus immigration—its size and its attributes—will be an important contributor to the nation’s future population that is growing slowly and aging quickly......."

".......An aging, slow-growing future

This week’s release of census estimates appears to put an exclamation point on what we should be preparing for as the country ages and grows less rapidly from natural increase.  The latest national growth rate of 0.62 percent is noticeably below what we have experienced in decades prior. While it is still far higher than in countries like Germany, Italy, and Japan, it means that policymakers must place increased attention on caring for a larger and more dependent aging population, and dealing with the realities of a slower-growing labor force. In particular, it requires a more serious discussion of U.S. immigration policy because of the future contributions that immigrants will make to growing America’s society and economy."

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am worried about the children we have kidnapped and taken from their mothers. i am upset for those living in filth with no basic human needs. you worry about the number grumps and not one word of regret or sorrow for the kids?  just wow. we know there is crisis at the border. we are ashamed at the way they are treated as animals. between obama's last two years an trumps first two over 4500 kids have been sexually abused. this is reported by cbs and on record with human resources. we can do better and those kids deserve better. i would copy and paste the article but it will not allow me. we are better than this. if this is supposed to be a christian nation we are a sorry role model with those kids.

I am pretty sure we are mostly on the same side on this issue. I don't want to see anyone kidnapped. I don't want anyone living in filth. I NEVER said I was only worried about numbers and don't know how you came up with that opinion. We CAN do better. Are we supposed to be a Christian nation? Would there be more or less sexual abuse if children were kept WITH adults or kept SEPARATE from adults? There are many complex issues here. I still believe that slowing down the numbers coming in would help the problem. Do you disagree?

50 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I am pretty sure we are mostly on the same side on this issue. I don't want to see anyone kidnapped. I don't want anyone living in filth. I NEVER said I was only worried about numbers and don't know how you came up with that opinion. We CAN do better. Are we supposed to be a Christian nation? Would there be more or less sexual abuse if children were kept WITH adults or kept SEPARATE from adults? There are many complex issues here. I still believe that slowing down the numbers coming in would help the problem. Do you disagree?

no sir i agree our immigration policies need to be fixed. i just do not care for the way it is currently being handled.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Actually, we can afford to process and take these people in.  They typically work harder than native born Americans and value the opportunities.  They will eventually make good citizens. Citizens that our economy will need in the not too distant future:

Not a bad point Brother Homer. They have been a saving grace in the construction industry since the 80's. A pure pleasure to work with . Nothing like the "construction culture"  that people normally associate the trades. Just had a meeting with a gentleman from Nicaragua. Horrible situation in Central America which has become progressively worse. Most of the immigrants coming have no other choice.     

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not a bad point Brother Homer. They have been a saving grace in the construction industry since the 80's. A pure pleasure to work with . Nothing like the "construction culture"  that people normally associate the trades. Just had a meeting with a gentleman from Nicaragua. Horrible situation in Central America which has become progressively worse. Most of the immigrants coming have no other choice.     

Once again, that shows you how bad our government leadership is on both sides. We should make it as easy as possible for immigrants to come into this country who will add value to it. Both sides think that is a good idea, but neither side will ever try to do it.

12 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Once again, that shows you how bad our government leadership is on both sides. We should make it as easy as possible for immigrants to come into this country who will add value to it. Both sides think that is a good idea, but neither side will ever try to do it.

We also have a dire shortage of health care workers, particularly in rural areas. We should make it much easier for nurses, etc. to immigrate.

33 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Way overboard with the politics rather than addressing the root of the problem which is nasty with illegal elections and the drug cartels. How that is addressed is above my pay scale. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

no sir i agree our immigration policies need to be fixed. i just do not care for the way it is currently being handled.

I do not agree with it myself fifty. It is a tough situation and the ability to handle it has been piece milled together. With that I do not intend to argue with you or accept you blaming this on the current administration in entirety. 

We still have people living in unthinkable conditions post Hurricane Micheal right here in the panhandle. It is impossible to prepare for these situations. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Oh yeah? And what are you going to do once you find out that these predominantly Catholic Hispanics are going to give you a hard NO on LGBT-whatever "rights" and abortion, that they don't really like blacks and probably hold some level of racist beliefs, that they hold Nationalistic animosity amongst themselves, etc, etc?

I'm an actual immigrant.  You think that ~30 year old Miguel is going to come over and start waving a rainbow flag in the Pride parade LOL? It doesn't work like that.  Immigration is a far more complex procedure than the rose-colored image you delusional idealists paint in your mind.  These people bring their problems and prejudices over with them, and no, giving them a minimum wage manual labor job isn't going to magically change their programming.

14 hours ago, metafour said:

Oh yeah? And what are you going to do once you find out that these predominantly Catholic Hispanics are going to give you a hard NO on LGBT-whatever "rights" and abortion, that they don't really like blacks and probably hold some level of racist beliefs, that they hold Nationalistic animosity amongst themselves, etc, etc?

I'm an actual immigrant.  You think that ~30 year old Miguel is going to come over and start waving a rainbow flag in the Pride parade LOL? It doesn't work like that.  Immigration is a far more complex procedure than the rose-colored image you delusional idealists paint in your mind.  These people bring their problems and prejudices over with them, and no, giving them a minimum wage manual labor job isn't going to magically change their programming.

well hell i imagine if that was true most on the right would be paying immigrants to come to america then. you just about totally desribed the right wing.

16 hours ago, metafour said:

I am going to respect the right of any citizen in expressing their views through the ballot box.  That's what I am going to do.

I am not concerned that new immigrants are going to be any more xenophobic than citizens born here. In fact, I would expect just the opposite.  Given their history, they are likely to have more empathy for others than most of your typical conservatives.   And for all you know, Miguel might be a homosexual.

Fear of immigrants changing our society for the worse is a typical xenophobic response. I has no basis in political or demographic reality.  It's a red herring.

news.yahoo.com

AOC paints grim picture of U.S. migrant detention centers: 'People drinking out of toilets'

Christopher WilsonSenior Writer

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez sharply criticized the conditions at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) detention camps, stating that migrants were subject to “systemic cruelty.”

“Just left the 1st CBP facility,” the New York congresswoman wrote on Twitter. “I see why CBP officers were being so physically &sexually threatening towards me. Officers were keeping women in cells w/ no water & had told them to drink out of the toilets. This was them on their GOOD behavior in front of members of Congress.”

On Monday, ProPublica published messages from a Facebook group of roughly members, including current and former Border Patrol agents, named “I’m 10-15,” a reference to the agency’s code for “aliens in custody.” Among the messages were jokes about a 16-year-old Guatemalan migrant who died in Border Patrol custody in May and sexist references to Ocasio-Cortez, including illustrations of her performing oral sex on migrants and President Trump.

The group, Ocasio-Cortez said, also suggested raising money for an agent to throw a burrito at her and Rep. Veronica Escobar, a Democrat who represents the El Paso, Texas, area. The two freshmen congresswomen were among a delegation visiting the border on Monday.

“Now I’ve seen the inside of these facilities,” Ocasio-Cortez added. “It’s not just the kids. It’s everyone. People drinking out of toilets, officers laughing in front of members Congress. I brought it up to their superiors. They said ‘officers are under stress & act out sometimes.’ No accountability.”

“After I forced myself into a cell w/ women&began speaking to them, one of them described their treatment at the hands of officers as ‘psychological warfare’ - waking them at odd hours for no reason, calling them wh*res, etc,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “Tell me what about that is due to a ‘lack of funding?’ Now I’m on my way to Clint, where the Trump admin was denying children toothpaste and soap. This has been horrifying so far. It is hard to understate the enormity of the problem. We’re talking systemic cruelty w/ a dehumanizing culture that treats them like animals.”

"There's abuse in these facilities,” said Ocasio-Cortez to reporters outside the facility. “There's abuse. This is them on their best behavior, and they put them in a room with no running water and these women were being told by CBP officers to drink out of the toilet. They were drinking water out of the toilet, and that was them knowing a congressional visit was coming. This is CBP on their best behavior, telling people to drink out of the toilet."

Other members of the delegation concurred with Ocasio-Cortez’s assessment.

“We can't just focus on the children anymore,” tweeted Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich. “I met grandmothers, mothers and fathers who are suffering. This is devastating. The look in one father's eyes broke me. I can't look away.”

"‘If you want water, just drink from a toilet,’" wrote Rep. Judy Chu, D-Calif. “That's what border patrol told one thirsty woman we met on today's #DemsAtTheBorder trip. These are the same CBP personnel who threatened to throw burritos at members of Congress. Changes must be made.”

“Just left the first CBP facility,” tweeted Rep. Madeleine Dean, D-Pa. “The conditions are far worse than we ever could have imagined. 15 women in their 50s- 60s sleeping in a small concrete cell, no running water. Weeks without showers. All of them separated from their families. This is a human rights crisis. We were met with hostility from the guards, but this is nothing compared to their treatment of the people being held. The detainees are constantly abused and verbally harassed with no cause. Deprived physically and dehumanized mentally - everyday. This is a human rights issue.”

Conditions at the border detention camps have continued to draw scrutiny. On Monday, NBC News reported that a Department of Homeland Security document revealed that agents were arming themselves out of fear of riots because the conditions were so bad. Over the weekend, a federal judge ordered that doctors be allowed into child migrant camps in order to ensure they were “safe and sanitary” after multiple reports of young migrants being unable to shower, brush their teeth or wash their hands. Acting CBP chief John Sanders announced last week he was resigning, making no mention of the conditions at the facilities.

“It just felt, you know, lawless,” Dolly Lucio Sevier, a doctor who visited the centers, said in an interview with ABC News last week. “I mean, imagine your own children there. I can’t imagine my child being there and not being broken.”

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y. (Photo: Alex Brandon/AP)

Earlier in the day, Ocasio-Cortez criticized CBP for having a “violent culture.”

“This just broke: a secret Facebook group of 9,500 CBP [Customs and Border Protection] officers discussed making a GoFundMe for officers to harm myself & Rep. Escobar during our visit to CBP facilities & mocked migrant deaths,” she wrote on Twitter, linking to the story. “This isn’t about ‘a few bad eggs.’ This is a violent culture.”

“9,500 CBP officers sharing memes about dead migrants and discussing violence and sexual misconduct towards members of Congress,” added Ocasio-Cortez. “How on earth can CBP’s culture be trusted to care for refugees humanely? PS I have no plans to change my itinerary & will visit the CBP station today.”

Ocasio-Cortez repeatedly made the point Monday that the views expressed by members of the secret Facebook group were indicative of a larger problem at CBP, which oversees the Border Patrol.

“There are 20,000 TOTAL Customs & Border Patrol agents in the US. 9,500 - almost HALF that number - are in a racist & sexually violent secret CBP Facebook group,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “They’re threatening violence on members of Congress. How do you think they’re treating caged children+families?”

In May, the Arizona Daily Star reported that a Border Patrol agent who is accused of knocking down a Guatemalan man with his vehicle allegedly sent text messages that included references to migrants as “disgusting subhuman s--- unworthy of being kindling for a fire” and that asked the White House to “PLEASE let us take the gloves off trump!”

ProPublica later reported that the CBP was going to investigate members of the group, stating, "Any employees found to have violated our standards of conduct will be held accountable."

Ocasio-Cortez was criticized last month by Republican members of Congress for calling the facilities “concentration camps,” although a number of experts and historians agreed with her classification. On June 22, the Salt Lake Tribune editorial board published an op-ed entitled “Yes, we do have concentration camps.”

In a call last week, a CBP official disputed the critical accounts and said the children housed there were given periodic access to showers and unlimited snacks.

“I personally don’t believe these allegations,” said the CBP official, who spoke on the condition he not be identified, according to the New York Times.

_____

huffpost.com

Border Agents Feared Riots, Armed Themselves, Over Appalling Detainee Conditions

3 minutes

An internal U.S. government review warned in May that conditions at a migrant holding facility in El Paso, Texas, were bad enough that agents there felt compelled to arm themselves in anticipation of a possible riot.

NBC News obtained a copy of the report, authored by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General regarding the findings of a site visit at the El Paso facility on May 7.

REAL LIFE. REAL NEWS. REAL VOICES.

Help us tell more of the stories that matter from voices that too often remain unheard.

The report sharply undercuts the Trump administration’s dismissal of reports of poor conditions on the border ― which some experts have recognized as concentration camps ― as “unsubstantiated.”

While a DHS official told NBC that Border Patrol agents typically secure their firearms in a lockbox when they enter a holding area, those at the El Paso facility were no longer doing so because they feared the conditions “could result in volatile situations (riots, etc.).”

When inspectors visited on May 7, a total of 756 immigrants were being detained at the facility, half of them in a parking lot outside. The facility has an official maximum capacity of 123.

“In the outside parking lot,” the report found “detainees were being held for processing in areas that did not have heating, cooling, shade, or flooring.”

Conditions were arguably far worse inside.

“Dangerous overcrowding” inside meant Border Patrol agents were unable to even get accurate headcounts, with stated population tallies varying wildly from the actual number.

One cell, for instance, with a stated maximum capacity of 12, was said to be housing 57 adult women. An OIG count found 76 adult women were actually in the cell.

An adjacent cell intended for just 8 people was found to have 41 adult women crammed inside “in standing room only conditions” with no room to lay down and sleep, with one toilet and one sink. Agents told the OIG some of the migrants had been in standing room-only conditions, many wearing soiled clothing, “for days or weeks.”

The facility has just four temporary showers, leading to a smell inspectors described as “what might have been unwashed bodies/body odor, urine, untreated diarrhea, and/or soiled clothing/diapers.”

Last week, a group of attorneys who interviewed more than 60 minors at U.S. Border Patrol facilities in El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley sector spoke out in alarm about the horrific conditions they’d encountered.

Five children have died in Border Patrol custody since December.

Trump’s Child Detention Camps Cost $775 Per Person Every Day

The daily cost for a child in a detention camp is more than a stay in a deluxe room at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.

By

Luke Darby

June 25, 2019

Alfredo Estrella/Getty Images

The Trump administration has been holding migrant children—whether they came to the U.S. alone or were forcibly separated from their guardians—in a network of makeshift tent camps since last summer. An unnamed official at the Department of Health and Human Services told NBC News that housing costs $775 per child per day.

That's more than a $675 deluxe guest room at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C. (The average U.S. hotel room costs $129.)

Maintenance reportedly eats up most of the $775 daily cost per child for the tent camps, since it's difficult to keep temporary structures suitable for humans in a desert. In permanent facilities run by Health and Human Services, the cost is $256 per person per night, and NBC News estimates that even keeping children with their parents and guardians in Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities would only cost $298 per night.

Even at the permanent facilities, there are questionable circumstances beyond costs, like a lack of soap and blankets. Clinical-law professor Warren Binford interviewed child detainees at a facility in Clint, Texas, telling Isaac Chotiner at The New Yorker, "There was food on the shirts, and the pants as well. They told us that they were hungry. They told us that some of them had not showered or had not showered until the day or two days before we arrived. Many of them described that they only brushed their teeth once...one of the reasons why we came back for a fourth day is that some of the children, on Wednesday, told us that there was a lice infestation, as well as an influenza outbreak, at that facility, and so a number of the children are being taken into isolation rooms, quarantine areas where there’s nobody with them except for other sick children."

Like the prison industry for the U.S. criminal justice system, private companies can make a lot of money in the immigrant-detention business. Private-prison firm Geo Group has reportedly already made $500 million from migrant detention centers since Trump's "zero tolerance policy" began, as reported by the Miami New Times. Southwest Key Programs, a nonprofit that set up a boys' shelter in the husk of an old Walmart, reportedly netted $955 million in federal contracts between 2015 and 2018, according to The New York Times. A network of nonprofit groups, BCFS, reportedly received $179 million in the same time period. BCFS is the same contractor that held migrant kids in parked vans for 39 hours earlier this year, as ICE slowly did the paperwork to reunite the children with their families.

As the Texas Tribune reports, since the filthy conditions at child detention centers went public, people in Texas have been collecting donations of diapers, soap, and toothbrushes. So far, Customs and Border Protection has refused to accept the donations.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
news.yahoo.com

AOC paints grim picture of U.S. migrant detention centers: 'People drinking out of toilets'

Christopher WilsonSenior Writer

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez sharply criticized the conditions at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) detention camps, stating that migrants were subject to “systemic cruelty.”

“Just left the 1st CBP facility,” the New York congresswoman wrote on Twitter. “I see why CBP officers were being so physically &sexually threatening towards me. Officers were keeping women in cells w/ no water & had told them to drink out of the toilets. This was them on their GOOD behavior in front of members of Congress.”

On Monday, ProPublica published messages from a Facebook group of roughly members, including current and former Border Patrol agents, named “I’m 10-15,” a reference to the agency’s code for “aliens in custody.” Among the messages were jokes about a 16-year-old Guatemalan migrant who died in Border Patrol custody in May and sexist references to Ocasio-Cortez, including illustrations of her performing oral sex on migrants and President Trump.

The group, Ocasio-Cortez said, also suggested raising money for an agent to throw a burrito at her and Rep. Veronica Escobar, a Democrat who represents the El Paso, Texas, area. The two freshmen congresswomen were among a delegation visiting the border on Monday.

“Now I’ve seen the inside of these facilities,” Ocasio-Cortez added. “It’s not just the kids. It’s everyone. People drinking out of toilets, officers laughing in front of members Congress. I brought it up to their superiors. They said ‘officers are under stress & act out sometimes.’ No accountability.”

“After I forced myself into a cell w/ women&began speaking to them, one of them described their treatment at the hands of officers as ‘psychological warfare’ - waking them at odd hours for no reason, calling them wh*res, etc,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “Tell me what about that is due to a ‘lack of funding?’ Now I’m on my way to Clint, where the Trump admin was denying children toothpaste and soap. This has been horrifying so far. It is hard to understate the enormity of the problem. We’re talking systemic cruelty w/ a dehumanizing culture that treats them like animals.”

"There's abuse in these facilities,” said Ocasio-Cortez to reporters outside the facility. “There's abuse. This is them on their best behavior, and they put them in a room with no running water and these women were being told by CBP officers to drink out of the toilet. They were drinking water out of the toilet, and that was them knowing a congressional visit was coming. This is CBP on their best behavior, telling people to drink out of the toilet."

Other members of the delegation concurred with Ocasio-Cortez’s assessment.

“We can't just focus on the children anymore,” tweeted Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich. “I met grandmothers, mothers and fathers who are suffering. This is devastating. The look in one father's eyes broke me. I can't look away.”

"‘If you want water, just drink from a toilet,’" wrote Rep. Judy Chu, D-Calif. “That's what border patrol told one thirsty woman we met on today's #DemsAtTheBorder trip. These are the same CBP personnel who threatened to throw burritos at members of Congress. Changes must be made.”

“Just left the first CBP facility,” tweeted Rep. Madeleine Dean, D-Pa. “The conditions are far worse than we ever could have imagined. 15 women in their 50s- 60s sleeping in a small concrete cell, no running water. Weeks without showers. All of them separated from their families. This is a human rights crisis. We were met with hostility from the guards, but this is nothing compared to their treatment of the people being held. The detainees are constantly abused and verbally harassed with no cause. Deprived physically and dehumanized mentally - everyday. This is a human rights issue.”

Conditions at the border detention camps have continued to draw scrutiny. On Monday, NBC News reported that a Department of Homeland Security document revealed that agents were arming themselves out of fear of riots because the conditions were so bad. Over the weekend, a federal judge ordered that doctors be allowed into child migrant camps in order to ensure they were “safe and sanitary” after multiple reports of young migrants being unable to shower, brush their teeth or wash their hands. Acting CBP chief John Sanders announced last week he was resigning, making no mention of the conditions at the facilities.

“It just felt, you know, lawless,” Dolly Lucio Sevier, a doctor who visited the centers, said in an interview with ABC News last week. “I mean, imagine your own children there. I can’t imagine my child being there and not being broken.”

Earlier in the day, Ocasio-Cortez criticized CBP for having a “violent culture.”

“This just broke: a secret Facebook group of 9,500 CBP [Customs and Border Protection] officers discussed making a GoFundMe for officers to harm myself & Rep. Escobar during our visit to CBP facilities & mocked migrant deaths,” she wrote on Twitter, linking to the story. “This isn’t about ‘a few bad eggs.’ This is a violent culture.”

“9,500 CBP officers sharing memes about dead migrants and discussing violence and sexual misconduct towards members of Congress,” added Ocasio-Cortez. “How on earth can CBP’s culture be trusted to care for refugees humanely? PS I have no plans to change my itinerary & will visit the CBP station today.”

Ocasio-Cortez repeatedly made the point Monday that the views expressed by members of the secret Facebook group were indicative of a larger problem at CBP, which oversees the Border Patrol.

“There are 20,000 TOTAL Customs & Border Patrol agents in the US. 9,500 - almost HALF that number - are in a racist & sexually violent secret CBP Facebook group,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “They’re threatening violence on members of Congress. How do you think they’re treating caged children+families?”

In May, the Arizona Daily Star reported that a Border Patrol agent who is accused of knocking down a Guatemalan man with his vehicle allegedly sent text messages that included references to migrants as “disgusting subhuman s--- unworthy of being kindling for a fire” and that asked the White House to “PLEASE let us take the gloves off trump!”

ProPublica later reported that the CBP was going to investigate members of the group, stating, "Any employees found to have violated our standards of conduct will be held accountable."

Ocasio-Cortez was criticized last month by Republican members of Congress for calling the facilities “concentration camps,” although a number of experts and historians agreed with her classification. On June 22, the Salt Lake Tribune editorial board published an op-ed entitled “Yes, we do have concentration camps.”

In a call last week, a CBP official disputed the critical accounts and said the children housed there were given periodic access to showers and unlimited snacks.

“I personally don’t believe these allegations,” said the CBP official, who spoke on the condition he not be identified, according to the New York Times.

_____

She's lying ... 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/49065/watch-ocasio-cortez-confronted-her-claim-migrants-ryan-saavedra?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

no she is not. she was not alone. you will find out. funny how you love the biggest liar in america but everyone else is fake news. you just absolutely lost my respect as does sixty. you are  some piece of work...........

11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

no she is not. she was not alone. you will find out. funny how you love the biggest liar in america but everyone else is fake news. you just absolutely lost my respect as does sixty. you are  some piece of work...........

Oh good lord fifty.... just like in this picture where she was supposed to be looking at the horrible conditions of our "concentration camps" and instead was looking at an empty parking lot... everything she does is staged.  The only thing more vacuous than her is someone that actually thinks she has anything to contribute to society other than pouring a beer (just so there's no abiguity, that means you Fifty).

D-D0q1XX4AEv7OU.png:large

She's a liar....

Rev. Samuel Rodriguez was "full of indignation" when he saw the reports and heard from politicians about the deplorable and inhumane conditions for illegal immigrants at an El Paso County, Texas migrant detention center. But what he saw at the same facility toured by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y. with a group of pastors was "drastically different."

The president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, the world's largest Hispanic Christian organization, and senior pastor of New Seasons Christian Worship Center in Sacramento shared his firsthand experience touring a migrant detention center during a press briefing Monday.

“I read the reports, saw the news clips. I just wanted to see what was actually happening in order to better enable our efforts to find a fair and a just solution to our broken immigration system," Rodriguez, who has advised President Trump and both Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush on immigration reform, noted. “To my surprise, I saw something drastically different from the stories I’ve been hearing in our national discourse. Even as a veteran of immigration advocacy in the U.S., I was shocked at the misinformation of the crisis at the border."

“We found no soiled diapers, no deplorable conditions and no lack of basic necessities,” Rodriguez remarked, adding he specifically asked border agents if they staged the facility in response to the negative press. “They unequivocally denied it — we were witnessing the identical conditions the attorneys saw when they toured the facility days earlier."

In fact, some told him the sources from whom the negative coverage originated “never toured the areas of the facility that we toured” and speculated they might have had political motivations.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/immigration-border-facility-aoc-hispanic

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

It’s interesting the MSM counts Trump lies and ignores AOC’s. She is trying to bolster her claim that these camps are actually concentration camps (an outright lie and anti Semitic at the same time).  She refused to tour the camp and comes out with statements like women are drinking out of toilets.

Archived