Golfers

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Someone mentioned golf ball selection....been playing the "laddie" balls a while …when one of the companies abandoned the senior label and lady label....looking for something that worked with my 80mph swing...or maybe slightly less...seems my swing speed and age are just about ready to intersect. 

Mostly in recent years I play the standard Bridgestone E6 and get pretty good distance for my age, etc.....about 200 off the tee which is usually better than my other 75+ year old golfers.    We play dollar Nassau three days a week with greenies, sandies, birdies, and you never heard such griping when someone loses over $4 for a round....but we love it....about a dozen of us...between 10 and 18 handicap.... I'm doubting anyone is ahead on winnings for the YTD....money just floats around the group.   

What a great game.....:party:

That reminds me Rev. McCormick of Moss Point was shooting 80's and slightly below at age 80.........Methodist minister I believe RIP......was a great guy for not rubbing it in when he beat me and Rev Yancey of First Baptist Pascagoula back in 2003........What a great game indeed👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Jimmy's dad taught me to start off with my irons first when on the driving range.........this thread brings back good memories.

I always started off with short irons and worked my way up.

When I have a new student who has never played I have them try to hit a 7 iron after learning the basis of grip shoulder turn etc etc

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

When I have a new student who has never played I have them try to hit a 7 iron after learning the basis of grip shoulder turn etc etc

To avoid sounding like James Garner........My pappy always said, 80% of golf is played between the ears.😂

Just now, kevon67 said:

To avoid sounding like James Garner........My pappy always said, 80% of golf is played between the ears.😂

Love me some Garner and your pappy was correct maybe even 85%..........Maverick and Rockford Files as well as his movies

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn man, you teach? I was just in Orlando. I would have partaken.

I think Jack Nickalus said the most important shot is the 6 inch shot between the ears.

• Like 1

Good news! I went to Edwin Watts to get the wedge i want friday. they didn't have the exact one. I had to make a trip to Huntsville again Saturday and was going to go by Madison Golf Center and get one there before meeting at Canebrake at 2pm. Ran out of time. Tonight i get online and just going to order one and I'll be damned if they didn't go from 149.99 to 99.98. Sumbich is on the way now!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alexava said:

Damn man, you teach? I was just in Orlando. I would have partaken.

Just a little....... work with mostly young beginners. Do it for free all by word of mouth

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Just a little....... work with mostly young beginners. Do it for free all by word of mouth

I would have bought my young beginner to you. We are going to a lesson this week. After working on the diagnostic he gives him a while, I’ll send you some video to analyze. Hell maybe some of mine too. You could start a teach from home business. I can’t be the first to get this idea?

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

I would have bought my young beginner to you. We are going to a lesson this week. After working on the diagnostic he gives him a while, I’ll send you some video to analyze. Hell maybe some of mine too. You could start a teach from home business. I can’t be the first to get this idea?

Good idea but I just do it for fun. Plus I strongly recommend your son stay with one teacher whoever that may be. Too much input from different people is not good

• Like 2

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

4 under after 7 nice start

I was tinkering with my grip pressure. I have always gripped the club very tight. I can’t really explain why. That was my reason for playing that round mainly to try to loosen that pressure. I thought I would release the club better and hit it longer but with driver I was actually shorter. I did have better feel with shorter irons and wedges but I hardly trust it. This score was just a result of a 50 yard pitch I nearly holed out and about 5 putts made from 7-20 feet. 

What is your experience with grip pressure and driver distance?  

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

I was tinkering with my grip pressure. I have always gripped the club very tight. I can’t really explain why. That was my reason for playing that round mainly to try to loosen that pressure. I thought I would release the club better and hit it longer but with driver I was actually shorter. I did have better feel with shorter irons and wedges but I hardly trust it. This score was just a result of a 50 yard pitch I nearly holed out and about 5 putts made from 7-20 feet. 

What is your experience with grip pressure and driver distance?  

Correct grip pressure is a tough one but gripping the driver too tightly will reduce your distance normally as much as 15 yards or even more. Correct grip takes forever sometimes to figure out and your head is always playing games.

For example I knew I had good grip pressure at address but once my downswing started my head told me to grip tighter

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Correct grip pressure is a tough one but gripping the driver too tightly will reduce your distance normally as much as 15 yards or even more. Correct grip takes forever sometimes to figure out and your head is always playing games.

For example I knew I had good grip pressure at address but once my downswing started my head told me to grip tighter

I have always had a very tight grip. That and I fight against releasing the club too early. I would be three strokes better per 18 if I could fade the ball. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I have always had a very tight grip. That and I fight against releasing the club too early. I would be three strokes better per 18 if I could fade the ball. 

I was a natual slicer/fade but made myself into a drawer........long story to that. Problem for me was after I started drawing the ball I could still fade it just couldn't control the fade the way I needed to. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I was a natual slicer/fade but made myself into a drawer........long story to that. Problem for me was after I started drawing the ball I could still fade it just couldn't control the fade the way I needed to. 

I was about 19 or twenty when I converted from fade to draw. So it’s been so long but you can’t go back. But I’m the same way I know how to fade it. I just set up open face and take it back wider and try to come over the top and hold on with the left hand. Just so much that can go wrong. Especially if you don’t practice much. This is why I am considering going to different irons. Bigger more cavity back , game improvement irons. The draw back is you lose workability. Hell, I can’t fade it and I want to draw it less. I just haven’t found a set that I can get used to the feel yet. 

Still chasing my age.....78 years old....shot an 80 today 6300 yard Donald Ross course.....was well in reach of a 77.....four three putt greens.......gonna get it done this summer....I can just feel it.:)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Still chasing my age.....78 years old....shot an 80 today 6300 yard Donald Ross course.....was well in reach of a 77.....four three putt greens.......gonna get it done this summer....I can just feel it.:)

That's a killer

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

That's a killer

Long putts...my nemisis....and these Donald Ross greens are really hard to read...

On 8/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, alexava said:

Barely got nine in before dark. Not a bad outing but after that start I feel like I limped in. 

DD2480CF-B957-4CC4-B935-EDC10FAAF5C2.jpeg

How many times did you kick the ball in bounds Judge Smails.😂...........Next time I drink a beerski I'll raise a toast to one hell of a dad........making memories.........still some of my best memories to this day was spent on the course and in the clubhouse with dad.......I miss him everyday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Impressive👍

• Like 1

How many times did you kick the ball in bounds Judge Smails.😂...........Next time I drink a beerski I'll raise a toast to one hell of a dad........making memories.........still some of my best memories to this day was spent on the course and in the clubhouse with dad.......I miss him everyday.

I take a second tee shot on first hole if I need it. Besides that I play them all down. But the beginner uses quite a bit of mulligans , if we are not being pushed from behind. I’m spending most of my time instructing him. I’m waiting for a guy to get back with me on a lesson for Alex. He was hitting the ball better two weeks ago than he is now. 

I’ll take a pat on the back for being a good father as a better compliment than for a golf score. I try to be better at it every day. I look back all the time at how I could have done better earlier and make adjustments. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Absolutley.......took me some time as I would typically grip it like Dave Parker gripped a bat in the batters box..........golf I imagine there was a time in your life you considered going pro after college.