Golfers

Me and Alex got nine in this afternoon. I shot 37. Three putted the first two holes. And I gotta admit I took a mulligan on number three. I duffed my second shot about twenty yards. Lol. I NEVER do that. Mostly out of frustration. Alex gets worse and worse every time we play? I gotta get a pga pro to work with him. I’ve reached my wits end. We let a twosome through as I was letting Alex hit several balls each shot. Then that group spent ten minutes salvaging balls around the green side pond BEFORE they putted out. I had 215 to the pin and was going in two(5 par) They were not in a hurry because we were so far back. Anyway after the duff I dropped another one and hit 4 iron it to about twenty feet. Two putt then made 6 boring pars. I didn’t hit any bad shots but only hit one more good shot. Had 230 into the other par 5 with a 2 hybrid. It rolled into the fringe about 30 feet. I failed to get up and in. I’m just glad my back is holding up. So far I am not liking my new wedge. I’ll give it a few more rounds but if I had a tournament tomorrow I’d carry the old one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alexava said:

Me and Alex got nine in this afternoon. I shot 37. Three putted the first two holes. And I gotta admit I took a mulligan on number three. I duffed my second shot about twenty yards. Lol. I NEVER do that. Mostly out of frustration. Alex gets worse and worse every time we play? I gotta get a pga pro to work with him. I’ve reached my wits end. We let a twosome through as I was letting Alex hit several balls each shot. Then that group spent ten minutes salvaging balls around the green side pond BEFORE they putted out. I had 215 to the pin and was going in two(5 par) They were not in a hurry because we were so far back. Anyway after the duff I dropped another one and hit 4 iron it to about twenty feet. Two putt then made 6 boring pars. I didn’t hit any bad shots but only hit one more good shot. Had 230 into the other par 5 with a 2 hybrid. It rolled into the fringe about 30 feet. I failed to get up and in. I’m just glad my back is holding up. So far I am not liking my new wedge. I’ll give it a few more rounds but if I had a tournament tomorrow I’d carry the old one. 

JMO but a kid playing with a parent is really tough....on the kid.

They want so badly to beat dad and pressure can get to them.   My son was a better golfer than me for a couple years when he was in Jr High ….but could not beat me head to head.   I remember playing him when he was about 14 and we hit our drives about the same distance....I was getting ready to hit something like a 7 iron for the next shot and asked what he was hitting...it was has 9....from that day forward I knew my days were  numbered...I shot a 75 against him and a couple of his college buddies to beat him by one stroke....just fried him.

Moral of the story....get the pro to help teach and then try to downplay the competitiveness when playing with him....but that's not easy. 

And takes awhile sometimes to get used to a new club....seems they start off hot...and for some reason there is a back sliding effect until you get more experience.with it.   I always say that you never hit a club as well after you buy it as you did when trying it out.  .

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but a kid playing with a parent is really tough....on the kid.

They want so badly to beat dad and pressure can get to them.   My son was a better golfer than me for a couple years when he was in Jr High ….but could not beat me head to head.   I remember playing him when he was about 14 and we hit our drives about the same distance....I was getting ready to hit something like a 7 iron for the next shot and asked what he was hitting...it was has 9....from that day forward I knew my days were  numbered...I shot a 75 against him and a couple of his college buddies to beat him by one stroke....just fried him.

Moral of the story....get the pro to help teach and then try to downplay the competitiveness when playing with him....but that's not easy. 

And takes awhile sometimes to get used to a new club....seems they start off hot...and for some reason there is a back sliding effect until you get more experience.with it.   I always say that you never hit a club as well after you buy it as you did when trying it out.  .

The first few rounds I thought he would be very competitive for a freshman in high school. Now he rarely gets the ball airborne. I am going to ruin him myself. I’ve got to get a lesson set up. I work nights this week so it’s got to wait a week. Then the pro I had chosen didn’t email me back.  If this guy doesn’t set up a appointment by Wednesday I’ll find another one. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

The first few rounds I thought he would be very competitive for a freshman in high school. Now he rarely gets the ball airborne. I am going to ruin him myself. I’ve got to get a lesson set up. I work nights this week so it’s got to wait a week. Then the pro I had chosen didn’t email me back.  If this guy doesn’t set up a appointment by Wednesday I’ll find another one. 

Hope that works out.....he can practice the basics and not be worried about trying to hit the ball further than you did. ….and one other piece of unasked for advice....don't try to teach your kid to drive.:no:    just too much pressure on the both of you.... 

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hope that works out.....he can practice the basics and not be worried about trying to hit the ball further than you did. ….and one other piece of unasked for advice....don't try to teach your kid to drive.:no:    just too much pressure on the both of you.... 

Golf ball or car.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

Golf ball or car.

😁  both...or either.....however you read it....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

😁  both...or either.....however you read it....

Already doing both. He drives a car/ truck pretty good 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alexava said:

He definitly needs to see a teaching pro who specializes with teenagers. Sounds like he has to much STUFF going thru his head. I would say take two irons say a 4 or 5 iron and 7 iron and only hit those clubs on the range. Then in a few few days go to the course and play a round of golf only hitting those two clubs and the putter of course. Then in a few weeks change to a 5 iron and 9 iron and hit those. Now I say this with never having seen him play and it may skrew him up even more. So much of golf is feeling confidence its the greatest head game in the world.

My teaching pro when I started at 12 would only let me hit a 5 iron. Over and over and over and over. Little side note my teaching pro was Head pro at Florence Country Club in Florence, Al.  he actually had a story written in the first Chichen Soup for the Golfer book

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

He definitly needs to see a teaching pro who specializes with teenagers. Sounds like he has to much STUFF going thru his head. I would say take two irons say a 4 or 5 iron and 7 iron and only hit those clubs on the range. Then in a few few days go to the course and play a round of golf only hitting those two clubs and the putter of course. Then in a few weeks change to a 5 iron and 9 iron and hit those. Now I say this with never having seen him play and it may skrew him up even more. So much of golf is feeling confidence its the greatest head game in the world.

My teaching pro when I started at 12 would only let me hit a 5 iron. Over and over and over and over. Little side note my teaching pro was Head pro at Florence Country Club in Florence, Al.  he actually had a story written in the first Chichen Soup for the Golfer book

Interesting....I was not a teen but started the same way....a 5 and 7 iron and hit them at the old ROTC drill field at AU several afternoons a week for a month or more and then a friend (college golfer) took me to the old Saugahatchee and did about the same for a number of rounds.   Did not have a full set of clubs for several months after I started "playing".   Hope the kid does not get discouraged.....and some success will help him. 

• Like 2

Thought I would share this video that was sent to me from a friend in Tulsa. Southern Hills is a real test of a golf course, Sam Snead actually said it was better then Augusta not that would would agree but I would rank it in the top 10, what they completed in 9 months was very very impressive to get it back close to the original layout. 

Hope you enjoy video was well done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Haven’t played again. We have a lesson at Madison golf center tomorrow at 5. I watched another video that I think will help my game. I’ll post it later. 

• Like 1

The lesson went well. He got back to hitting the ball much better. The pro agreed his spine angle was not holding. But instead of fixing that he got him more upright/taller in setup (totally changed his grip too). Basically he was taking the club back too flat and a little inside. It’s amazing what 45 minutes with someone who knows what they are doing can achieve. He said I probably had him thinking too much too. Now the kid wants to play again. I’m only going to ruin adults swings from now on. This guy teaches many high school golfers in the area. I stayed at a distance so Alex didn’t feel any pressure from me. But he said he was very easy to understand. 45$ well spent, I think. We’ll  go to the range a few times and play nine a couple times then go back in a couple weeks.

he also showed me a drill. @augolf1716 maybe you’ve seen it. Get two flashlights about the size of grips and tape them together butt to butt. Get into a dark hallway and swing keeping the light beam on the baseboard?

8 hours ago, alexava said:

he also showed me a drill. @augolf1716 maybe you’ve seen it. Get two flashlights about the size of grips and tape them together butt to butt. Get into a dark hallway and swing keeping the light beam on the baseboard?

That's one I've never heard but it makes sense how it works. 

8 hours ago, alexava said:

But instead of fixing that he got him more upright/taller in setup (totally changed his grip too). Basically he was taking the club back too flat and a little inside..

I see that alot with younger players

We have made one trip to the range since the lesson. We played nine today. I’ve been working on the pavers for days and working Alex’s soft, lazy ass off too. I actually felt sorry for him today so I agreed to quit at 3pm and play nine. I played very well. 4 birdies and a bogey for a 33. If I get the feel for the new wedge I’ll get real low. Alex is still struggling but at least has a starting point for improvement. He decided today that we are going to take @augolf1716 advice. Started on #7 and for the next few rounds he’ll use only 3iron and pitching wedge. He had decided on five he was going with pitching wedge and hit it fairly well. I still don’t understand it to be honest but I will try it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Played Bent Brook yesterday. First time to play there in a while. They've lengthened a couple short par threes from 120/130 to around 170 plus. Both nines collectively played around 6400.

Started shaky with a couple sloppy bogeys, but regrouped with a bird and only one other bogey on the front for a 38. Hit one OB and one in the water on the back for a 40. Had not played in a couple weeks, so I'll take it. Pocketed enough for dinner. ;D

Course is in excellent shape. Love the hybridized AU Victory bent grass on the greens.  

• Like 3

I haven’t played since last Sunday. We played nine and I tried a swing change. It didn’t go so well. Trying to get my backswing on plane. I have took the club back to the inside for years. Actually worse than I realized. Been doing some drills and that was the first trip to the course or even the range. It doesn’t affect the short clubs too much but the driver starts left and continues going left. My goals are to get all I can out of my driver and figure out how to not draw/ hook EVERY IRON SHOT. 

But I birdied 8 and 9 to shoot a 39. Alex played with only 3 and pitching wedge until the 5 th. Then added driver. He used my driver and hit it well. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got nine in today. My interest in playing always fades this time of year but Alex wanted to play. I wasn’t sure I even could as the tennis elbow in my right arm is killing me. But I took two Aleive and iced it and toughed it. Had no expectations on scores just wanted to finish despite the pain. I intentionally used a very short backswing and a weaker grip. Just trying to not draw everything. I don’t think I have had better control of the ball in a while. Shot 35. Two birdies and one bogey. Surprised for not playing in several weeks. Alex started making better contact too. Cortisone shot again tomorrow. If i get asked to play a scramble ( I’ve had to turn a couple down lately)or something I’ll play some more. Or if Alex wants to play I will but I probably won’t get much golf playing this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Got nine in today. My interest in playing always fades this time of year but Alex wanted to play. I wasn’t sure I even could as the tennis elbow in my right arm is killing me. But I took two Aleive and iced it and toughed it. Had no expectations on scores just wanted to finish despite the pain. I intentionally used a very short backswing and a weaker grip. Just trying to not draw everything. I don’t think I have had better control of the ball in a while. Shot 35. Two birdies and one bogey. Surprised for not playing in several weeks. Alex started making better contact too. Cortisone shot again tomorrow. If i get asked to play a scramble ( I’ve had to turn a couple down lately)or something I’ll play some more. Or if Alex wants to play I will but I probably won’t get much golf playing this season. 

I feel for you.........suffered like hell years ago doing barbell curls......refused to go ligter with weight so I dropped from 3 sets of 12 to 3 sets of 8 and eat Celebrex as it was the only thing that helped.......forearm brace or wrap that was supposed to work did nothing.

I eventually figued out I was extending my arms too far down so corrected it and the pain eventually went away.......also eliminated reverse curls from my forearm workouts.

5 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I feel for you.........suffered like hell years ago doing barbell curls......refused to go ligter with weight so I dropped from 3 sets of 12 to 3 sets of 8 and eat Celebrex as it was the only thing that helped.......forearm brace or wrap that was supposed to work did nothing.

I eventually figued out I was extending my arms too far down so corrected it and the pain eventually went away.......also eliminated reverse curls from my forearm workouts.

Yes reverse curls would probably cause it. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I've found drinking lots of beer help me out

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, alexava said:

Yes reverse curls would probably cause it. 

No doubt also best bicep exercise was using cables standing......make a muscle hold 5 seconds release....all done slowly 3 sets of 12 eliminating barbell as with bench press strictly dumbells........sorry for derail I know this is Golf topic.

33 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

No doubt also best bicep exercise was using cables standing......make a muscle hold 5 seconds release....all done slowly 3 sets of 12 eliminating barbell as with bench press strictly dumbells........sorry for derail I know this is Golf topic.

I don’t lift like I should but it’s always dumb bells. Barbells hurt my shoulders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I don’t lift like I should but it’s always dumb bells. Barbells hurt my shoulders. 

Quick story I went with my wife to tour hotels to use for next years Fl. Prosthodontist Assn. state convention she's the Executive Director Two of them were JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton here in Orlando but the one that stood out was Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate. David Leadbetter has a Junior Golf Academy located there. The reason I bring this up is the cost for one kid is $90,000/year yep you read it correctly. These parents send their kid/kids from all over the world and attend Windermere Preparatory School  then go to the Leadbetter Academy. Ungodly to me!!!!!!  I was able to attend some Leadbetter training sessions, they were free for me, over 20 years ago. I was not impressed with his teaching skills or attitude. Was zero help to me well maybe helped my short game a little. 

I also played the first course built by Norman at ChampionsGate very boring course to play because it was brand new I'm sure its much better now with maturity 

So Alexava I was thinking it would be a great idea to send your son down to the Junior Academy for a couple of years......................................

This is part of their brocedure

WELCOME TO THE DAVID LEADBETTER JUNIOR GOLF ACADEMY.

With over 150 years combined coaching experience, LJGA is the pioneer and global leader in junior golf development.

The David Leadbetter Junior Golf Academy (LJGA) provides the most individualized full-time junior golf program available anywhere in the world. Located at David Leadbetter’s Global Headquarters at ChampionsGate in Orlando, Florida, every detail has been meticulously designed to deliver the optimum environment for personal development.

David Leadbetter will personally be involved with each student, providing his vast coaching knowledge and experience to ensure they reach their potential. David’s team of highly qualified Certified Leadbetter Instructors and industry-leading experts in fitness and mental coaching are on hand to provide the very highest level of coaching typically reserved for our Tour players.

LJGA has partnered with the leading private school in Orlando, Windermere Preparatory School, to deliver award-winning education, international exposure and safe, first-class accommodation in a safe environment. Full-time boarding students are housed in our luxurious townhomes located right next to Champions Gate Golf Club, within walking distance of Greg Norman's two exceptional 18-hole courses and LJGA's practice facility. The townhomes are fully furnished and feature a private pool, fitness area, and lounging room. 

The comprehensive long-term and short-term programs offered by LJGA cater to every need of the student both on and off the course and are structured with a single aim – to create quality players.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Quick story I went with my wife to tour hotels to use for next years Fl. Prosthodontist Assn. state convention she's the Executive Director Two of them were JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton here in Orlando but the one that stood out was Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate. David Leadbetter has a Junior Golf Academy located there. The reason I bring this up is the cost for one kid is $90,000/year yep you read it correctly. These parents send their kid/kids from all over the world and attend Windermere Preparatory School  then go to the Leadbetter Academy. Ungodly to me!!!!!!  I was able to attend some Leadbetter training sessions, they were free for me, over 20 years ago. I was not impressed with his teaching skills or attitude. Was zero help to me well maybe helped my short game a little. 

I also played the first course built by Norman at ChampionsGate very boring course to play because it was brand new I'm sure its much better now with maturity 

So Alexava I was thinking it would be a great idea to send your son down to the Junior Academy for a couple of years......................................

This is part of their brocedure

WELCOME TO THE DAVID LEADBETTER JUNIOR GOLF ACADEMY.

With over 150 years combined coaching experience, LJGA is the pioneer and global leader in junior golf development.

The David Leadbetter Junior Golf Academy (LJGA) provides the most individualized full-time junior golf program available anywhere in the world. Located at David Leadbetter’s Global Headquarters at ChampionsGate in Orlando, Florida, every detail has been meticulously designed to deliver the optimum environment for personal development.

David Leadbetter will personally be involved with each student, providing his vast coaching knowledge and experience to ensure they reach their potential. David’s team of highly qualified Certified Leadbetter Instructors and industry-leading experts in fitness and mental coaching are on hand to provide the very highest level of coaching typically reserved for our Tour players.

LJGA has partnered with the leading private school in Orlando, Windermere Preparatory School, to deliver award-winning education, international exposure and safe, first-class accommodation in a safe environment. Full-time boarding students are housed in our luxurious townhomes located right next to Champions Gate Golf Club, within walking distance of Greg Norman's two exceptional 18-hole courses and LJGA's practice facility. The townhomes are fully furnished and feature a private pool, fitness area, and lounging room. 

The comprehensive long-term and short-term programs offered by LJGA cater to every need of the student both on and off the course and are structured with a single aim – to create quality players.

Only in Orlando. Where y’all rich folk live.

besides, that place wouldn’t be the same after this country boy spent a few months there. He’s probably not going to reach a lot of heights in golf because he’s just as or more likely to have a gun and a dead animal in his hands as a golf club. Or a fishing pole. Or he’d get kicked out of the living quarters for banging out guitar rifts too loud and too late. 

I can see if they offer any scholarships to minorities or rednecks. He could turn it into a reality show probably. Lol. 

Edited by alexava
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

Only in Orlando. Where y’all rich folk live. 

Yep lots of rich folks come into O'Town especially European and South Am. but the only rick ones that live here mostly are sport guys/gals lots and lots of pro golfers, football,basketball and even hockey guys. No state income taxes help with that. 

• Like 1