Golfers

6 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Absolutley.......took me some time as I would typically grip it like Dave Parker gripped a bat in the batters box..........golf I imagine there was a time in your life you considered going pro after college.

A little but I knew I was not near good enough especially the mental aspect of it to be competitive. Plus after college I actually did not pick up a club for 3 years. I got burn out really bad

And wow a Dave Parker reference impressive

• Like 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, alexava said:

I take a second tee shot on first hole if I need it. Besides that I play them all down. But the beginner uses quite a bit of mulligans , if we are not being pushed from behind. I’m spending most of my time instructing him. I’m waiting for a guy to get back with me on a lesson for Alex. He was hitting the ball better two weeks ago than he is now. 

I’ll take a pat on the back for being a good father as a better compliment than for a golf score. I try to be better at it every day. I look back all the time at how I could have done better earlier and make adjustments. 

Usually when I would work out some kinks in my driving I would somehow loose my short game.........To stay consistent you have to be on the range or playing daily...........there is no game like it.......even when I would be  playing catchup I always had a great time......with the right people that is..........nothing worse than playing with a loud mouth  that refuses to replace a divit or rake the freaking sand trap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

A little but I knew I was not near good enough especially the mental aspect of it to be competitive. Plus after college I actually did not pick up a club for 3 years. I got burn out really bad

Dave Parker, Lou Brock, Vida Blue, Catfish Hunter, are my Mt. Rushmore of baseball.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

The better golfer a person is , the more they understand the difference between the guys on tv and us mortals. 

Every time I shoot a good round and someone asks me why I don’t try to go pro... I know they have not actually seen a pga tournament in person. It’s kinda like nascar. You don’t understand how fast those cars are going until you sit on the backstretch at talladega. Everyone needs to go to a pga tournament and see in person just how damn good those guys are. 

I only saw one pga tournament. 01 pga championship in Atlanta. I’ve been to a few Nike or whatever they call that tour maybe 4 times and 3 Hooters tour events. They all knock the hell out of the ball. Their short games are even more impressive. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, alexava said:

The better golfer a person is , the more they understand the difference between the guys on tv and us mortals. 

Every time I shoot a good round and someone asks me why I don’t try to go pro... I know they have not actually seen a pga tournament in person. It’s kinda like nascar. You don’t understand how fast those cars are going until you sit on the backstretch at talladega. Everyone needs to go to a pga tournament and see in person just how damn good those guys are. 

I only saw one pga tournament. 01 pga championship in Atlanta. I’ve been to a few Nike or whatever they call that tour maybe 4 times and 3 Hooters tour events. They all knock the hell out of the ball. Their short games are even more impressive. 

Jimmy Green's dad was our golf pro at the Country Club where my dad was a member........played quite a bit with Jimmy during the summer as kids/HS......Jimmy was amazingly talented and focused.........could thump you in the nertz on the drive from hole to hole........when we would get to the tee box he could shut it off and focus as if all else was a million  miles away.......Jimmy went on to play at Auburn where he did pretty well.......as a Pro he struggled  some what........hung in on the Nationwide Tour and have  always been proud of him.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Jimmy Green's dad was our golf pro at the Country Club where my dad was a member........played quite a bit with Jimmy during the summer as kids/HS......Jimmy was amazingly talented and focused.........could thump you in the nertz on the drive from hole to hole........when we would get to the tee box he could shut it off and focus as if all else was a million  miles away.......Jimmy went on to play at Auburn where he did pretty well.......as a Pro he struggled  some what........hung in on the Nationwide Tour and have  always been proud of him.

There’s a few younger guys from my area that played at Auburn and Alabama. Some kicked around the mini tours for a while. Andrew Medley ( Auburn)won a time or two on Hooters tour. Lee Hodges is close to getting a card on ( korn ferry)? Tour now. He grew up on the eleventh  hole of this course I’m posting scores from. he played two years at uab the two At bammer. Stewart Whitt ( Alabama) is probably better than all them and never gave any of the mini tours a shot. I played the second round of the three round Decatur Country Club invitational with an Auburn golfer about 15 years ago. I shot 72 one over , besting him by one. We shot even the first day in different groups. The final round I’m feeling cocky because I just beat an sec golfer. He was a foursome ahead of me on the course. I shot another 72 and watched him turn in a 65 and act like it was not a big deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, alexava said:

There’s a few younger guys from my area that played at Auburn and Alabama. Some kicked around the mini tours for a while. Andrew Medley ( Auburn)won a time or two on Hooters tour. Lee Hodges is close to getting a card on ( korn ferry)? Tour now. He grew up on the eleventh  hole of this course I’m posting scores from. he played two years at uab the two At bammer. Stewart Whitt ( Alabama) is probably better than all them and never gave any of the mini tours a shot. I played the second round of the three round Decatur Country Club invitational with an Auburn golfer about 15 years ago. I shot 72 one over , besting him by one. We shot even the first day in different groups. The final round I’m feeling cocky because I just beat an sec golfer. He was a foursome ahead of me on the course. I shot another 72 and watched him turn in a 65 and act like it was not a big deal. 

That's still impressive my friend.

• Like 1

Yesterday we played nine at same course. 37 one birdie two bogeys. Didn’t get enough work will the new wedge.. today’s met up with some work friends and play a course I’ve never played. About an hour away just to include a coworker. Not a great course. 76 2 birdies 2 missed birdies of about two feet. Got hot,tired and lazy for a stretch. Taking a few days off but will work range tomorrow evening. The new wedge spins like crazy, distance and feel is not there yet.

Edited by alexava
  • Like 1

I went to range but only hit about 5 balls. I’ve got a slight catch in my mid back. It doesn’t hurt but feels awkward and I don’t want to over do it. Been there before just going to chiropractor and rest a couple days. 

I did work on Alex’ swing. I have decided he is topping and hitting behind because he is bending up his spine angle. Mainly because he is not clearing his left hip. Damn golf swing is a complex  maneuver. 

• Like 1

Yeah don't want to mess with the back I was very lucky only had problem with the back one time. Key is stretching and I know you know that but it is easier said then done.

As for topping and hitting behind the ball. In younger players especially it could be a matter staying centered and moving laterally away from the target then the left shoulder will lift upward and all sorts of bad things will happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yeah don't want to mess with the back I was very lucky only had problem with the back one time. Key is stretching and I know you know that but it is easier said then done.

As for topping and hitting behind the ball. In younger players especially it could be a matter staying centered and moving laterally away from the target then the left shoulder will lift upward and all sorts of bad things will happen. 

^^^^^^this ^^^^^^^when I was first getting started as a youngster used to lift.......my problem of coarse was trying to knock the ball out of the park...think its common for beginners.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

^^^^^^this ^^^^^^^when I was first getting started as a youngster used to lift.......my problem of coarse was trying to knock the ball out of the park...think its common for beginners.

I’m teaching him to hit it as hard as he can and still be balanced. Finish balanced with 90% weight on the left side. Several ways to get there but you gotta get there. I still plan to get him a pro to work with him but he has gone backwards over the past couple weeks. 

• Like 1

Played Roebuck Golf Course Wednesday and had a blast. Love the history of this Bham Muni. I'd guess it had been 20 years since I last played there. I won't wait that long to play it again. Really short but much tighter than I recalled. I played irons off the tee at least a half dozen times. Course was in really good condition for a Muni. Ended with a 78. Probably should have shot par or close, but tried to force a couple out of some deep rough instead of taking my medicine and ended up in the creek both times. Stayed  on my right once and sent one over Roebuck Parkway. LOL. If you are in the area give it a go. $20 bucks to walk 18. I think $34 to ride. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, augolf1716 said:

And for old guys like me it's a problem of balance....neuropathy  causes spongy feeling in my feet and sometimes (like today) I have a hard time keeping my body still.   Good thing those old balata golf balls are a thing of the past ….I would have pealed a couple of them today with some of my iron shots.   But, I keep at it and love the game though I do get frustrated on days when I have a hard time keeping my feet planted. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

And for old guys like me it's a problem of balance....neuropathy  causes spongy feeling in my feet and sometimes (like today) I have a hard time keeping my body still.   Good thing those old balata golf balls are a thing of the past ….I would have pealed a couple of them today with some of my iron shots.   But, I keep at it and love the game though I do get frustrated on days when I have a hard time keeping my feet planted. 

Now that's a word I haven't heard in a while........lol and you are correct

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Now that's a word I haven't heard in a while........lol and you are correct

I understand you do some instruction....do you run into balance issue with older golfers?  and if so, what do you recommend.  I'm thinking of spreading my stance a bit and just forgetting the attempt to move into the ball?   Any video or other ideas you could suggest? 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I understand you do some instruction....do you run into balance issue with older golfers?  and if so, what do you recommend.  I'm thinking of spreading my stance a bit and just forgetting the attempt to move into the ball?   Any video or other ideas you could suggest? 

No not much help only work with young kids mostly 12 and younger. Now sure what you could try but once you get start getting older due to some physical problems it could cause issues with balance.........maybe you could find something on the internet

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

I’ve been playing my whole life and always been more of a “feel “ player.  The past few weeks, now that I’m teaching my 14 year old, I have opened my eyes to concepts that I didn’t grasp before. I’ve watched several videos and instructors. So I’m basically a teaching pro now.lol. 

But one tip I took that might help is to keep your right knee inside your hip and use the big toe/ inside of the right foot to brace the knee kind of like pushing against the ground. That’s on the way back of course.

I think I did this at times. When I tried it it brought back some old memories of how it felt when I was swinging really well. Because I was so much just playing off feel I didn’t have enough sense of perception to take notice. But anyway I know I’ve also had stretches where I was getting my weight on the outside of the right foot and probably letting the knee get too wild. This makes it hard to get back on the left side. And can kill your balance and probably help you pull a muscle somewhere. Of course there’s a thousand other swing mechanics/thoughts that go into that. We gotta start somewhere. 

I will link a video or two I’ve seen recently. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alexava said:

I will link a video or two I’ve seen recently. 

Thanks for the link....might want to send those to Charles Barkely too.:)  I thought that was gonna be one of those joke videos where the guy ties himself in knots...

Those were good lessons for a young golfer and before 2 hip replacements and one knee scope I could make those turns....but not now...and especially not with the numb foot pads.  

I've done some internet searches without success and I guess nobody figures that a 75+ year old golfer needs to re-learn how to hit a golf ball.   I've been playing for well more than 50 years and still had a 8 index when I was 70.  But in the past ten years or so my joints and the rest of me does not perform like it used to.   In the past five years or so I have lost 20% off my distance and have to re-learn my own golf course as to what clubs to hit and my index is up to 14..  

I still want to play the game...and will keep on as long as I can but was hoping there were some thoughts on shortening the swing or changing the stance that might help older golfers hit quality shots (even at reduced distances) when the flexibility and feel are much reduced.   I've resorted to getting a new higher loft driver with a senior shaft...hoping that might be helpful. ….but making good contact on the fairways is still an issue.   

But how many competitive sports can a person play at age 78 and be competitive with many guys 30 or 40 years younger ? ..a great game...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks for the link....might want to send those to Charles Barkely too.:)  I thought that was gonna be one of those joke videos where the guy ties himself in knots...

Those were good lessons for a young golfer and before 2 hip replacements and one knee scope I could make those turns....but not now...and especially not with the numb foot pads.  

I've done some internet searches without success and I guess nobody figures that a 75+ year old golfer needs to re-learn how to hit a golf ball.   I've been playing for well more than 50 years and still had a 8 index when I was 70.  But in the past ten years or so my joints and the rest of me does not perform like it used to.   In the past five years or so I have lost 20% off my distance and have to re-learn my own golf course as to what clubs to hit and my index is up to 14..  

I still want to play the game...and will keep on as long as I can but was hoping there were some thoughts on shortening the swing or changing the stance that might help older golfers hit quality shots (even at reduced distances) when the flexibility and feel are much reduced.   I've resorted to getting a new higher loft driver with a senior shaft...hoping that might be helpful. ….but making good contact on the fairways is still an issue.   

But how many competitive sports can a person play at age 78 and be competitive with many guys 30 or 40 years younger ? ..a great game...

If I am still upright at 78 I’ll be surprised. If I run across any instruction for golfers who have limited flexibility I’ll post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

If I am still upright at 78 I’ll be surprised. If I run across any instruction for golfers who have limited flexibility I’ll post.

Gotta admit...I'm a bit surprised some mornings when I wake up.....beating the odds for most of my family...so I try to make the most of each day. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gotta admit...I'm a bit surprised some mornings when I wake up.....beating the odds for most of my family...so I try to make the most of each day. :)

I need to take better care of myself, mainly through diet. Three years ago we moved into a new neighborhood. The only neighbors who befriended us is a couple of seniors. Mr Eddie was 80. You wouldn’t know it if he didn’t tell you. He played golf, fished a lot, kept bees, did yard work push mowed and walked 2-3 miles a day. He would break his tasks down into small portions and walked when the sun went down. but he kinda became a mentor to me. Never complained about anything except he would get tired. Lol. We lost him last month at 82. He was fine Tuesday 100%. Wednesday had a fever and Thursday night after 4 surgeries was gone. The way his family explained it, it wasn’t really age related. I thought he would make 90 easy. And without this issue he probably would have. So I’m going to try and take his habits. I might not live longer but hopefully be as viable as he was all the way to the end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep...viable to the end...that's the goal.  I play golf with nearly a dozen guys ranging from 75-90....well only one of them is 90 but several are in their early to mid 80s...and we play 3 times a week.....sometimes 9 holes and sometimes 18 but all have respectable games.   It's beneficial to be in a community like ours where 70 or more is not considered old...or unusual...and thus there are plenty of guy (and women) like your Mr. Eddie to provide inspiration ….to live life to the limits of your ability. 

I'd be happy to do it like Mr. Eddie....when the time comes....not in a hurry though...:)   Meanwhile bought a brand new Taylor Made M4 driver yesterday and hoping to give it a workout this week.  

PS...most of those old guys can putt lights out...and have a good short game....up and down in two is pretty routine inside 20 yards or so. .

Edited by AU64
  • Like 2