Auburn VS Oregon Discussion (Merged Threads)

aucanucktiger

I think the main question is how will Bo and even Joey react when there big moment comes. I totally believe Bo is ready for it but you just never know till it happens. If the QBs stay calm and trust their coaches, their teammates and their ability, I think AU is in for a great year .

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Thanks Bird for your input. If you were coaching DBs last year for AU what would you have changed ? Not trying to put you on the spot I just value your knowledge. TIA

I prefer more zone coverage with pattern matching concepts. I'd play a lot of Palms and Cathy coverages. 

If we were to stay in man, all I would do is move the corners back to 2-3 yards off and play more of a catch man technique as opposed to press man. Allowing us to read the release, pattern read and disrupt the route before the break, and still be able to maintain phase and leverage. That's just a preference.

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I prefer more zone coverage with pattern matching concepts. I'd play a lot of Palms and Cathy coverages. 

If we were to stay in man, all I would do is move the corners back to 2-3 yards off and play more of a catch man technique as opposed to press man. Allowing us to read the release, pattern read and disrupt the route before the break, and still be able to maintain phase and leverage. That's just a preference.

If/when you have time I'd love to hear more about what this means.

16 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Calling @ToraGirl   Time to start a look-alikes thread.  

Yes...I have been waiting all year!!! And then on the Rant there was a Feleipe Franks gif page that got me thinking about it today.

23 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It's basically playing basketball man switching defense on the football field. The coverage rules and concepts are based on releases, when a break occurs, and where the break occurs. For example, if a break occurs in the first 3-5 yards, the DB can eliminate a fly, post, fade, corner, etc... basically any long developing routes. It allows defensive players the ability to peel off of routes and defend under others. Here are some good links that will break it down better than I will.

https://thereadoptional.com/nick-saban-kirby-smart-and-pattern-match-coverages-a41be7a2eca1

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46950/film-study-nick-sabans-pattern-matching-pass-defense?amp

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2019/3/4/18234062/film-room-pattern-match-zone-rip-liz-cover-3-match-mable-nick-saban-cleveland-browns

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2010/2/9/1209031/rufios-playbook-pattern-matching

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/5615/how-to-understand-nick-saban-s-pattern-match-cover-3-defense

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2014/8/5/5970547/kentucky-football-pattern-matching-basics

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2018/5/1/17302424/switching-on-defense-pattern-matching-nick-saban-pat-narduzzi-quarters-mable

26 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I am sure Bird can give more insight, but I know Palms is like a read coverage. Reading the routes of the WRS. If you had 2 Wrs on that side of the field, The Corner would read the route on the 2nd Wr and if he runs an out route the CB would peel off WR 1(his guy) and he would switch to the out route. If WR 2 (who would probably be covered by a S ) runs a verticle route, then the Corner stays locked on his man (WR 1). We ran this in HS, but it has been a few many years lol. I am sure Bird will enlighten more.

Edit....I see Bird has already elaborated now after the post. Thanks Bird.

Another aspect is being able to categorize or separate the routes and know what is being run based on depth and breaks. There are 3 main types. Short, intermediate, and deep routes. Short routes typically break within 3-6 yards, intermediate between 8-12 yards, and deep between 12-15 yards. Being that the secondary positions are more reactionary than other defensive positions, the ability to cut down or eliminate some of the options increases the odds of a successful defense.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

After reading your reply I researched it some and found a website called “icoachtowin.com” that gave a good rundown on 2 read with Palms and Cathy coverage. Interesting looks like you need a very athletic and smart SS. Thanks again for the input.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly, it seems like for the longest time (even before Steele) we either have to give a 7-10 yard cushion or press.

So different than my day half a century ago. We played mostly man at corners and some zone on the deep side. Looks like defenses are catching up with offenses in strategy lol . 

5 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Heard it from a friend, who heard it frim a friend.....

that Schwartz is good to go Week 1.

So maybe?

Just having him as a decoy on the sweep would keep them honest.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, bigbird said:

He almost always has our corners in a tight press.

Some of our posters do too.

19 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I like the coverage style where we get consistent pressure on the QB from the front 7.  :popcorn:

Ditto!!!!!

The last potential number 1 draft pick qb Auburn played, had a 16 for 37 day for 106 yards. 0 tds, 1 int. Means nothing for Saturday's game, of course. But....

On 8/25/2019 at 9:47 AM, bigbird said:

If you're gonna play Palms with Cathy I hope you buy her dinner first, at least.... :beer2:

On 8/25/2019 at 10:21 AM, ValleyTiger said:

Heard it from a friend, who heard it frim a friend.....

that Schwartz is good to go Week 1.

So, based on the info you have provided, I can say that I heard it from a friend of a friend, who heard it from a friend.  Therefore it must be a lock!

Archived