Cancel Culture: Antonio Brown Edition

Zeek

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We don't fundamentally disagree.  I'm not arguing that Brown isn't innocent in the eyes of the law.  He is.  But that doesn't matter when it comes to his employment with a private business.

I think that's where you are trying to tie two things together that don't necessarily have to be intertwined.  He can be innocent in a legal sense and companies can still choose not to sponsor or employ him because of how all of this looks.  They are under no obligation to employ Mr. Brown. This too is a basic tenant of freedom, that companies can stop employment of someone for numerous reasons.  The government assumption of innocence has no bearing on that.

For example, I could get charged with a DUI tomorrow while I'm driving a company car.  Now I haven't stood trial yet, so I'm still presumed innocent.  However my company can fire me immediately because they simply don't want to deal with the headache.  It's their right to do so.

I agree when you put it that way. Thanks for a civil discussion,  a rarity  here.

Archived