I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

10 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

So many out there, I honestly don't remember. I read it over a week ago. We segue here and there...but he was reported as being interested...

You need to find it and link it because I've NEVER seen any indication from anyone with any credibility (or access to know this) to suggest such an interest.  He's got nothing to gain by coming to AU....and  a lot to lose by even letting people/recruits think he might be willing to leave Oregon.  

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Maybe it's the coaching.....MC seems to take him out of the game at critical times.  Watched MC in several games, not just against AU and absolutely there is no creativity in his offense and adequate defense that was destroyed by a freshman QB last weekend.    JMO but he would not be a step up from Gus.....and certainly not worth what it would cost us to make a change like that....JMO

Sure, it could be on coaching, but Herbert is the guy who threw back2back egregious INTs in the 4th quarter of a one score game (ASU). To the credit of Cristobal and Herbert they got the passing game cranking once behind by 17, but the conservative approach was headed in the direction of winning that game until the turnovers.

The second part, the step up or not, isn't even worth exploring because we're obviously satisfied with mediocrity, right? Not just on the field tho, right? We can't even upgrade JHS or build a FoF competently. It's just more....JABA.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

That’s why I think if Gus does go it will be a transition to Kevin Steele 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Can't see AG making that kind of decision.....will still cost a small fortune and will look like a (pardon the pun) defensive hire.... rather than finding the guy who will have high probability of taking AU to the "next level".....or at least beating the major rivals which these days, means getting to the playoffs.  

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

I've been thinking...could it look like a nondirect flight..like the massively cheap by comparison RT one we got from Atlanta to Milan last May...via Boston and Dublin? Still got to our destination with a timing and financial tweak...patience, grasshoppers? 

Ok, let's take LSU for example. They were in this (damn near) exact situation when they tried to fire Les then did the very next year. They abso-freaking-lutely wanted Jimbo then it was Herman. The deal with Jimbo was botched and Herman shunned them for Texas. They wanted the splash hire, but settled for Ed O. A cheaper option that was (trust me here) viewed as a stop gap hire.

It's turned out so far to be a miraculous hire for them. 

Auburn people would like to think about Kevin the same way.

I really like Steele. He's a helluva coach. On the other hand, some of Ed's most important qualities just aren't going to translate to the Auburn fanbase and recruits the same way for Kevin. That's not to say that Kevin couldn't endear himself to the fanbase or that he isn't a good recruiter, but part of what has helped Ed is unique to Louisiana and LSU.  

52 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

So many out there, I honestly don't remember. I read it over a week ago. We segue here and there...but he was reported as being interested...

You get an upvote for paying attention. ;)

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

You need to find it and link it because I've NEVER seen any indication from anyone with any credibility (or access to know this) to suggest such an interest.  He's got nothing to gain by coming to AU....and  a lot to lose by even letting people/recruits think he might be willing to leave Oregon.  

It wouldn't matter if I could find it or link it. "Rip Torn" in 3-2-1.

Point is, it answers the question why he would consider it, or at least THAT. That's enough for now, because we don't have a VACANCY. 

It's embarassing... or should be...how much we wade through this Library of Congress once, to catch a ray of hope....or to even have an answer for someone's Eeyoric "never". You can pay me 49 mil and I'll 50/50 consider combing through them again. 🤣

As for now, DC is calling...and I've only combed 2 of the 6 floors of the Museum of the Bible...

😉🦋

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

aubiefifty reported on this board that Chrisobal said he'd take the Auburn job in a heartbeat - McLoofus confirmed he'd seen the same quote.

I seriously questioned the validity just like you.  Why would he come to this pressure cooker when he's got the best facilities and an easy schedule at Oregon?

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Ok, let's take LSU for example. They were in this (damn near) exact situation when they tried to fire Les then did the very next year. They abso-freaking-lutely wanted Jimbo then it was Herman. The deal with Jimbo was botched and Herman shunned them for Texas. They wanted the splash hire, but settled for Ed O. A cheaper option that was (trust me here) viewed as a stop gap hire.

It's turned out so far to be a miraculous hire for them. 

Auburn people would like to think about Kevin the same way.

I really like Steele. He's a helluva coach. On the other hand, some of Ed's most important qualities just aren't going to translate to the Auburn fanbase and recruits the same way for Kevin. That's not to say that Kevin couldn't endear himself to the fanbase or that he isn't a good recruiter, but part of what has helped Ed is unique to Louisiana and LSU.  

It helps that Orgeron had two programs that under his interim guidance performed better than the previous coach who was let go. In fact he should've gotten the job at USC after they cut Joey Freshwater. I do agree, he was likely seen as a stop gap hire but I think the real miracle was having us all believe he was bumbling idiot and playing right into his hand.

That said, yeah maybe Steele could be a dark horse home run hire. He could also easily be a stop gap hire who gets us 8 wins a year until we get who we want. 

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

It helps that Orgeron had two programs that under his interim guidance performed better than the previous coach who was let go. In fact he should've gotten the job at USC after they cut Joey Freshwater. I do agree, he was likely seen as a stop gap hire but I think the real miracle was having us all believe he was bumbling idiot and playing right into his hand.

That said, yeah maybe Steele could be a dark horse home run hire. He could also easily be a stop gap hire who gets us 8 wins a year until we get who we want. 

A +60 yr old dark horse that hasn't been a HC in 2 decades?  

I suppose anything's possible.  I just think if Steele was a home run hire then some P5 program would've thrown a few pitches his way in all these years.:gofig:

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

aubiefifty reported on this board that Chrisobal said he'd take the Auburn job in a heartbeat - McLoofus confirmed he'd seen the same quote.

I seriously questioned the validity just like you.  Why would he come to this pressure cooker when he's got the best facilities and an easy schedule at Oregon?

I don't necessarily doubt he would consider the job but why would he even comment on it when he was in the middle of a battle for a play-off berth   Guess maybe it would help to know when he was supposed to have made the comment and to whom.   Neither of our posters are what one might call an "original source". 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't necessarily doubt he would consider the job but why would he even comment on it when he was in the middle of a battle for a play-off berth   Guess maybe it would help to know when he was supposed to have made the comment and to whom.   Neither of our posters are what one might call an "original source". 

I have it on good authority that @McLoofus is, in fact, Mario Cristobal.

Sorry, Loof. Didn't mean to out you but I've had enough of people dragging your character through the mud.

13 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

If all you are gonna get is 7 or 8 wins...what's the point? 

Would be paying him something like $ 3 or 4M per year and also finishing off Gus''s contact at another 6M per year.  KS would be the most expensive stop gap in history IMO.    As for dark horse? ....I guess anything is possible but he's been in coaching for almost 40 year....and suddenly he is the best HC candidate we can get for $3-4M?     Bet AG does not see it that way.    

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I have it on good authority that @McLoofus is, in fact, Mario Cristobal.

Sorry, Loof. Didn't mean to out you but I've had enough of people dragging your character through the mud.

Loof's wife is fine as hell (sorry, Loof.)

IMO, Mario Chrisabol is the right coach to get us back on the winning ways and just might take over this state the way we did for 6 years with Tommy Tuberville.

Even though Tommy had Alabama by their trunk for 6 years straight, I feel Mario would own them for a lot longer then 6 years in a row and 7 out 10 years overall..

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Someone reported that Rick Neuheisel said it on one of the radio shows I believe. He had talked with Cristobal and supposedly Cristobal said he would love the Auburn job. Not sure a link would exist for it, and don't remember who posted it here first. It happened in the off-season I believe. Not recently.

Just now, oracle79 said:

Someone reported that Rick Neuheisel said it on one of the radio shows I believe. He had talked with Cristobal and supposedly Cristobal said he would love the Auburn job. Not sure a link would exist for it, and don't remember who posted it here first.

Until I see it I  Creapea's  column in the Oregonian,  I'm not gonna believe it.  Something like that would be major news …..and on the other hand there is absolutely no reason to believe that he could out recruit or outcoach the current coaches in the SEC.  

But the mystique continues to grow and he seems to have replaced Gruden as the prospective savior for fans who are looking for a quick fix...despite having a 45-54 record as a HC. . 

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

but I think the real miracle was having us all believe he was bumbling idiot and playing right into his hand.

Enter the endearing qualities I was mentioning earlier....those close enough to LSU athletics knew that Ed was far from a bumbling idiot. He admitted the mistakes he made at Ole Miss over and over to LSU fans across the state. He basically had a campaign for his coaching position and he's delivered.

16 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Loof's wife is fine as hell (sorry, Loof.)

The validation I feel when people comment on her looks is what makes putting up with all her crap worth it. #goducks

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

If all you are gonna get is 7 or 8 wins...what's the point? 

Would be paying him something like $ 3 or 4M per year and also finishing off Gus''s contact at another 6M per year.  KS would be the most expensive stop gap in history IMO.    As for dark horse? ....I guess anything is possible but he's been in coaching for almost 40 year....and suddenly he is the best HC candidate we can get for $3-4M?     Bet AG does not see it that way.    

It's actually a little concerning that you're still asking questions like this despite how many times it's been explained to you. I mean, it was laid out very plainly and simply in the very post you're replying to.

A new coach might get us more than 8 wins a year, but we know that Gus won't. So we try a new coach.

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

OK....sorry I ever questioned it....

Great! I trust you'll stop now. As in stop crapping all over every single discussion about a potential hire. It's such a tiresome and sad troll job. 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Until I see it I  Creapea's  column in the Oregonian,  I'm not gonna believe it. 

Man. This one really takes the cake. Even for someone who is so fond of patronizing and attempting to explain things to people who understand them better than you.

there is absolutely no reason to believe that he could out recruit or outcoach the current coaches in the SEC.  

Like this. You quite literally have no idea what you're talking about and what you said right here is quite literally the opposite of the truth. Post after post after post trying to crap on this guy and you obviously have no idea about his history. By the way, he outrecruited our current coach last year at a school with far less recruiting ability, and came one play away from beating our coach with far less talent. And that's not even the main reason to believe that he'd do both as our coach.

But the mystique continues to grow and he seems to have replaced Gruden as the prospective savior for fans who are looking for a quick fix...despite having a 45-54 record as a HC. . 

Feel free to wait on a slow fix. Don't see the logic, but no shocker there. Hey, at least you're acknowledging that there is a need for a fix.

21 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Even though Tommy had Alabama by their trunk for 6 years straight, I feel Mario would own them for a lot longer then 6 years in a row and 7 out 10 years overall..

Not if you played the numbers game just for fun though.

Saban is 16-0 vs his assistants with an average score of 41 to 14 I think it was.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:42 PM, auburn4ever said:

Do you realize that in 9 years of head coaching, Cristobal's won/loss record is 45/54? I see no reason to think he'd beat bammer even half the time, let alone to the extent that you are expecting.

Archived