I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

My thinking is that if you have to make excuses for a guy's nine-year coaching record, he's probably not the one you want.

Same BS line I could use on you for defending Gustav. I don’t want a coach that is getting worse and worse, I want a coach that is improving (see Cristobal). Can you with a straight face tell me Gustav’s offense has improved since he got here 7 years ago? Has he implemented new ideas and playcalling to his system? Found new offensive assistants that aren’t infants in coaching but got ones with experience and fresh ideas? Mediocrity breeds contempt. If all you have is his record with a crappy non power 5 team to go against Cristobal then you’re not going to see the forest for the trees. Go look at Gustav’s record against our rivals and top 25 teams and tell me how great he is. NO ONE can go worse than a 28.5 winning percentage against our rivals. That’s pitiful and if you wanna keep Gustav for that you have no wish to see Auburn improve. Auburn will not improve with Gustav. 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Well said, but I think everyone is missing the point about mikey and 64...they DO enjoy 8-4 seasons. They don’t believe we are capable of more. So of course they love Gus. 

Actually I think you are the one who is missing the point.....I'm not happy with 8-4 but I sure don't believe that MC or about any of the guys being mentioned are capable of even that level of success based on their records to date.    There seems to be this feeling out there  that some coach with modest success elsewhere is gonna come here and all of a sudden become the guy to whip up on the rest of the conference.    Based on what?   

JMO but it's not just about Gus in my case.....I'm fine if someone hatches up a deal that's favorable to him and AU for him to leave....but the idea  of spending $20M to get rid of him to bring in a guy who has  not done anything near what gus has done in his coaching career?  ...and has a resume's that needs explaining?    Does that really make any sense?   You may disagree and that's OK....but at least don't run off acting like you have some special insight on the matter....or that you know what I think. . 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Let's see….why did MC leave FIU?  ....or that's right he got fired because the team was going backward for a couple years.   Fortunately he was rehabilitated by Nick at bama and recruited well but suddenly moved from bama to Oregon as an assistant?   That's cool....left bama to take a step down at Oregon...must be an interesting story there?   .    SO he got the HC job when Taggert moved and has two seasons there. .where he is doing pretty well.  

And maybe that's the best AU can do?  who knows :dunno:   But somehow I have a hard time believing he is gonna be the guy to out-recruit and out-coach the rest of the SEC.  

1. It was one year and the AD even went on record and said it was a bad call. 

2. Went from OL coach to OL Coach/run game coordinator/Co-OC. Not a step down by any means.

3. From wiki: “Cristobal was an elite recruiter at Alabama, finishing No. 1 in the national 247Sports composite rankings in each of his four seasons. He was named the National Recruiter of the Year by 247Sports in the 2015 cycle and in 2016 he was ranked as the nation’s No. 2 recruiter in the country by 247Sports.” Dude eats up other recruiters for breakfast. Out coaching someone? He’s not doing a terrible job so far at UO and hasn’t shown anything that’s a glaring issue. And what we have right now is definitely not out coaching the rest of the SEC.

1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

1. It was one year and the AD even went on record and said it was a bad call. 

2. Went from OL coach to OL Coach/run game coordinator/Co-OC. Not a step down by any means.

3. From wiki: “Cristobal was an elite recruiter at Alabama, finishing No. 1 in the national 247Sports composite rankings in each of his four seasons. He was named the National Recruiter of the Year by 247Sports in the 2015 cycle and in 2016 he was ranked as the nation’s No. 2 recruiter in the country by 247Sports.” Dude eats up other recruiters for breakfast. Out coaching someone? He’s not doing a terrible job so far at UO and hasn’t shown anything that’s a glaring issue. 

Look at the AU coaches who have gotten those various awards, including Gus.....those awards are one year "beauty contests"  and right now he has the advantage of recruiting Calif when these state schools are in the toilet.    As for leaving bama for Oregon.....JMO but that's a step down no matter how it's characterized by wikipedia. 

Meanwhile, I've watched four Oregon games this year and seen nothing that excited me....and this was a coach with an NFL first round draft pick at QB....the guy who could have gone high last year and came back for another season.    

MC has not done a terrible job.....just saying....I'd not pay a Gus-like salary to get MC ...and that's what we would have to do.  JMO. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Look at the AU coaches who have gotten those various awards, including Gus.....those awards are one year "beauty contests"  and right now he has the advantage of recruiting Calif when these state schools are in the toilet.    As for leaving bama for Oregon.....JMO but that's a step down no matter how it's characterized by wikipedia. 

Meanwhile, I've watched four Oregon games this year and seen nothing that excited me....and this was a coach with an NFL first round draft pick at QB....the guy who could have gone high last year and came back for another season.    

MC has not done a terrible job.....just saying....I'd not pay a Gus-like salary to get MC ...and that's what we would have to do.  JMO. 

I understand sometimes that those recruiting awards are beauty contests but you can’t tell me that he is not an elite recruiter with his history. And gaining responsibilities in your role as a coach is not a step down JMO. I’ve only seen the Auburn game and bits and pieces throughout the year of their games but what I have seen is that their offensive and defensive lines have been much more physical and improved than any Oregon team I’ve seen in the past. 

And I agree I wouldn’t pay a Gus salary to MC. But we already have a Gus salary to Gustav who is giving us a crappy offensive product on the field. Something has to give though. Not my money 😂

I'm glad we could at least have have a rational and logical conversation instead of like others on here. 

20 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

I understand sometimes that those recruiting awards are beauty contests but you can’t tell me that he is not an elite recruiter with his history. And gaining responsibilities in your role as a coach is not a step down JMO. I’ve only seen the Auburn game and bits and pieces throughout the year of their games but what I have seen is that their offensive and defensive lines have been much more physical and improved than any Oregon team I’ve seen in the past. 

And I agree I wouldn’t pay a Gus salary to MC. But we already have a Gus salary to Gustav who is giving us a crappy offensive product on the field. Something has to give though. Not my money 😂

I'm glad we could at least have have a rational and logical conversation instead of like others on here. 

I'm not saying MC is a bad coach....just that he would be an uninspiring hire....a conventional coach running conventional offenses..   I would see this .kind of like Arky did when they got Bert.thinking he could beat the rest of the SEC with a conventional game      As for recruiting,  ..everyone who recruits for bama looks like a genius...same at UGa......a coach would have to be a real schmuck not to pull in a top 5 class at those schools.     Gus has done a good recruiting job and I don't see a new AU coach doing any better without something different to offer.   :dunno: 

If you want to roll the dice on a new coach,  find someone who brings something new to the program.....not someone who is gonna try to beat NS or KS or EO or even Jimbo playing the same game they play 'cause AU will never have superior talent to any of those. . 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Malzahn's record doesn't need excuses. He has a 60-30 record. It's Cristobal's 45-54 record that needs excuses.

Gus is 12-20 vs ranked teams since 2014.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'm not saying MC is a bad coach....just that he would be an uninspiring hire....a conventional coach running conventional offenses..   I would see this .kind of like Arky did when they got Bert.thinking he could beat the rest of the SEC with a conventional game      As for recruiting,  ..everyone who recruits for bama looks like a genius...same at UGa......a coach would have to be a real schmuck not to pull in a top 5 class at those schools.     Gus has done a good recruiting job and I don't see a new AU coach doing any better without something different to offer.   :dunno: 

If you want to roll the dice on a new coach,  find someone who brings something new to the program.....not someone who is gonna try to beat NS or KS or EO or even Jimbo playing the same game they play 'cause AU will never have superior talent to any of those. . 

Why Are you even assuming he would play the same game as the other coaches you mentioned ?

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think you’re missing the point of Mikey, 64 and (to add) abw0004 as they are loyal to the present coach to a degree that is unusual in this day and time.  I would really like to see a change at the top, but I can appreciate where they are coming from.  Now if we do see a change, the interesting part will be how they react to why the change was made.  Do they then throw Gus under the bus or just be supportive of the new coach?

We all know there will be growing pains with a new coach.  I do wonder if these Gus loyalist will be in the *I told you so* mode until things turn around or be totally loyal to the new coach as they are with Gus?

Of course they are going to point it out. This board has been floating that any idiot with the talent that Auburn has can go 8-5 and has been very judgemental of those don't want, or have a different view on how a change should take place. The problem is they want the right move while many want any move and that clashes. Which I get, some have just become so frustrated they are ready to try anyone else.

Just like if the new coach comes in and wins 12 games his first season they will be catching a ton of I told you so's. I think quite a few people are expecting a Richt to Kirby type of change given what Auburn has talent wise at the moment. So growing pains that take Auburn back to a record under what Gus has done or that stay at the same level will not be accepted. Growing pains/honeymoon will be over very quickly.

Why would they throw Gus under the bus? The man has done nothing to harm Auburn University or Auburn football. His offense didn't work, he lost to the wrong teams, but the parts are already in position to resolve that with some improved coaching and a couple of quality freshmen or transfers. One of the reasons why people like Cristobal, they believe that he will resolve line issues very quickly.

Texas/Baylor was pretty eye opening to me. I've had tickets all year, but that Baylor game you could see it in them. We got Tom Herman, we got the golden boy that was gonna take us to the promised land, he was gonna build the program Strong couldn't........crap it's year 3, we aren't beating OU, we just lost to Baylor, and we are 6-5.

So if the program improves they will support the new coach, if it goes the way Texas is going at the moment, they are gonna be like the Texas fans and go so we hyped and paid all that money to go back to where we were.

Coaching, except in very rare cases, is not a career that has a lot of permanency. Coaches, in a very real way, understand if they aren't getting the W's they are gonna get replaced quickly. They know this and are okay with it. Coaches don't accept mediocrity and don't expect their fan bases to either. It's a success driven field. It's business and not personal.

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why Are you even assuming he would play the same game as the other coaches you mentioned ?

Because if you look, coaches basically do what made them successful....just my observations...and that's what he does now. ..

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Because if you look, coaches basically do what made them successful....just my observations...and that's what he does now. ..

The good to great coaches adapt to their surroundings, knowing being dynamic is important to growth. This is something our current coach lacks.

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I disagree. Coaches copy successful coaches. Coaches that continue to do the same thing and not evolve tend to get passed by

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Then you aren't looking at the great coaches.  Example A: Saban.

7 years ago you wouldn't have dreamed of his team's running a wide open, spread offense.  He's changed and adapted with the times, as great coaches do.

4 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Just like if the new coach comes in and wins 12 games his first season they will be catching a ton of I told you so's. I think quite a few people are expecting a Richt to Kirby type of change given what Auburn has talent wise at the moment. So growing pains that take Auburn back to a record under what Gus has done or that stay at the same level will not be accepted. Growing pains/honeymoon will be over very quickly.

I somewhat disagree here.  Personally, I don’t want to see a 12-0 record right off the bat as our last two coaches have had success early, but could not sustain that level of success.  I would prefer the new coach come in and systematically improve the system over a period of time that would be sustainable for years.  If that coach loses some close games when the team in prepared and competitive and commits to improvements the fans can see from game to game, I’ll be alright with that.

Why would they throw Gus under the bus?

Last year the praises of our OC turned from *a good OC* to the reason 2018 happened over night.  It’s just human nature.

but the parts are already in position to resolve that with some improved coaching and a couple of quality freshmen or transfers. One of the reasons why people like Cristobal, they believe that he will resolve line issues very quickly.

The parts are already here and Gus has had 7 years to do something with those pieces and can’t do it,  One thing that Cristobal can do is establish a great OLine and the rest will follow.  As mentioned earlier, I would prefer a systematic improvement rather than quick but unsustained success.

So if the program improves they will support the new coach, if it goes the way Texas is going at the moment, they are gonna be like the Texas fans and go so we hyped and paid all that money to go back to where we were.

There is always risk, I’m sorry you’re living through this and understand your reluctance in coaching changes.  The BOT has to deal with this and I hope they make the correct decision for Auburn University. 

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I somewhat disagree here.  Personally, I don’t want to see a 12-0 record right off the bat as our last two coaches have had success early, but could not sustain that level of success.  I would prefer the new coach come in and systematically improve the system over a period of time that would be sustainable for years.  If that coach loses some close games when the team in prepared and competitive and commits to improvements the fans can see from game to game, I’ll be okay with that.

Not seen this discussed much, but yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Handling and sustaining success especially mentally is a huge part of consistently moving forward. You build a culture of growth instead of fear of not living up to...

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I somewhat disagree here.

You don't think those you named will catch flack if a new coach takes this team next year and wins 10 plus games? Guarantee they will be called out.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Last year the praises of our OC turned from *a good OC* to the reason 2018 happened over night.  It’s just human nature.

Those individuals mentioned don't seem to be the type that will just start raging on Gus to rage on Gus if a new coach is successful. Especially since some of them have already said they support the coach at Auburn University and will continue to do so if it changes.

11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The parts are already here and Gus has had 7 years to do something with those pieces and can’t do it,  One thing that Cristobal can do is establish a great OLine and the rest will follow.  As mentioned earlier, I would prefer a systematic improvement rather than quick but unsustained success.

Isn't that what I said? The parts are here, Cristobal can coach lines and that could resolve issues. I disagree with systematic improvement if the record goes backwards or stays the same. I don't think it will good enough.

16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

There is always risk, I’m sorry you’re living through this and understand your reluctance in coaching changes

Not sure what there is to be sorry about or what Im the living through thing. This isn't like the dark ages or great depression for me. I was already told I'm a bad supporter cause I don't take it hard enough lol... damn you Austin with your cool things to do on weekends. Course then I was told I was a bad supporter cause I was too hard on the program also.

I have no control over if they change. If they spend a shitload of money on someone then I want a shitload of improvement year one. If they go with a guy like Steele and only give him 3.2 million or so I'm good with that and will temper expectations to match. If they keep Gus, save some money on the buyout, and it improves options for a improvement then I'm good for that (as I'm sure next year will be it for him if he keeps this path).

But if we get a Cristobal, and he goes Tom Herman year 3, I know exactly what kind of faces his original supporters that trashed people for questioning him will be though lol.

31 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The BOT has to deal with this and I hope they make the correct decision for Auburn University. 

Now these guys have had decades to get it right.

Homemade Thanksgiving tamales rock btw..... and can we add Garrett and Zak to the trash list lol.

6 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

You don't think those you named will catch flack if a new coach takes this team next year and wins 10 plus games? Guarantee they will be called out.

Of course they will catch flack. That isn’t what I somewhat disagreed with.  I disagree that the new coach has to do the same or better than Gus his first year.

11 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

The parts are here, Cristobal can coach lines and that could resolve issues. I disagree with systematic improvement if the record goes backwards or stays the same. I don't think it will good enough.

Agree to disagree.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course they will catch flack. That isn’t what I somewhat disagreed with.  I disagree that the new coach has to do the same or better than Gus his first year.

Agree to disagree.

I just want to say I definitely agree we need a coach with sustainable success. Chizik won a NC and flamed out in two years. Hasn’t had an HC opportunity since. 

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Agree to disagree.

I'm good with that. Ain't sharing my tamales though! Hope you are having a good Thanksgiving.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I just want to say I definitely agree we need a coach with sustainable success. Chizik won a NC and flamed out in two years. Hasn’t had an HC opportunity since. 

Yes, I want sustainable also. Why I don't want to get into the dump a coach every 3 year game.

11 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Yes, I want sustainable also. Why I don't want to get into the dump a coach every 3 year game.

Which is why we need to look at complete whole body of work with candidates and have an due diligent process. Some of the people mentioned on this thread do not want a coaching change unless we have a Dabo or NS type. That is unrealistic. Every other coach mentioned as been in a no by two of those posters mentioned and if it is not a no, then it is why would that coach come here. As far as I am concerned , the ribbing they get is justified. Discussion is one thing but when you get to a point when you aren’t trying to discuss but argue that’s an issue. 

Archived