I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

3 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

I watched the entire Oregon/ASU game.  Herbert was having a bad game.  In addition to the 2 interceptions he threw, there were several more bad throws where he was lucky they weren't intercepted as well.  Fromm also had a bad game against S. Carolina, remember.  It happens.  And it doesn't make Cristobal a bad coach.  

Unless he was at AU. If he was at AU, he'd be a terrible coach after that loss. :)

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

aTm was NOT a 5-5 team. aTm was 6-3 coming into that game at AU. And the loss, while it hurt, was not exactly on Gus.  He didn't fumble the ball.

6-3 with a quarterback making his first collegiate start against the number 3 team at their house. The gap was similar to what we saw last night. Don’t think Mario threw those INTs either. Looking back auburn was a 23 point favorite at home and Oregon was a 14 point favorite on the road also so it was a worse loss for us. 

20 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Unless he was at AU. If he was at AU, he'd be a terrible coach after that loss. :)

Given 7 years in at Auburn...yep...😉😁

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

JMO but we will see what kind of coach MC is next year when his first round NFL QB pick is gone.     He's probably a pretty good coach and has great resources at Oregon...but by and large, the QB is the key for any coach....which is why so many cut and run after a good year or two with a really good QB.   

I haven't studied the situation closely but whoever coaches AU next year will have the benefit of the one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the conference....which will make the job a bit easier...not to mention the other offensive talent.  

39 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I still think Mario would be a great fit at Auburn. 

lol it is amazing how 1 loss is enough to deter people away from a candidate. I am with you! GIVE ME THE CRYSTAL BALL!!!!

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol it is amazing how 1 loss is enough to deter people away from a candidate. I am with you! GIVE ME THE CRYSTAL BALL!!!!

My man! I completely agree I think it's funny that one game is all someone can focus on when evaluating a coach. What if people did that for Urban Meyer when they lost to Purdue? I know it's not quite the same thing but still.

#Cristoballin 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

When is Allen Greene going to make it happen?

well well well 

you guys still want Cristobal........

he has lost to a true freshmen making his first college start and he just lost to a 5-5 ASU team with a QB that most say will be the #1 QB taken  in the draft( oh by the way if Auburn had their schedule this year Auburn would be undefeated. )

I'll pass on Cristobal 

22 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

I watched the entire Oregon/ASU game.  Herbert was having a bad game.  In addition to the 2 interceptions he threw, there were several more bad throws where he was lucky they weren't intercepted as well.  Fromm also had a bad game against S. Carolina, remember.  It happens.  And it doesn't make Cristobal a bad coach.  

yea but when Bo has a bad game it makes Gus a bad coach..............nice logic 

2 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

well well well 

you guys still want Cristobal........

he has lost to a true freshmen making his first college start and he just lost to a 5-5 ASU team with a QB that most say will be the #1 QB taken  in the draft( oh by the way if Auburn had their schedule this year Auburn would be undefeated. )

I'll pass on Cristobal 

That's reasonable but if you have spent the entire season bashing Gus and calling for him to be fired, you have to at least put forth a couple candidates who would be better ….and looks like MC is the flavor of the week.....well he was until the game on Saturday night.  

Meanwhile, over the past couple years the odds-on favorites to replace Gus have dropped by the wayside one by one....each turning out to be a coach who can lose to an inferior team or teams or can't sustain the program.     JMO but when folks are promoting  Steele or Clark to replace Gus, they are out of good options and will take about anyone just to see Gus go.   I don't think AG  shares those feelings however . :dunno:

SO....the questions of the week are:    Does Greene think he can find bring a better HC to Auburn?  and if so, why is he sticking with Gus?   

Like I said look at the whole body of work. No candidate is perfect. Gus Malzahn loss to a Tennessee team last year who won 5 games and you still want him to be our HC. They key is body of work and what they think they can bring to Auburn to help compete with UGA, LSU and Bama. Not looking for a perfect coach. Even the best of the best loses to inferior teams. In the last two years Dabo and UM have loss to clear inferior and unranked teams. The whole body of work for perspective please. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The whole body of work for perspective please. 

Yep....that's a good idea...Tenn was lousy loss for sure......but also not a good idea  to just lean on a couple bad games or bad seasons when looking at records.   AZ was a 5-5 team and had lost 4 in a row in the Pac12 …and on Saturday Oregon lost a game that took them out of the play-off picture where they had a very good chance IMO.  That was a huge loss for the ducks....and for the Pac. .

Evaluating coaches is probably more than just W-L and I guess we have to trust AG to do the work..  

PS...seems that Greg Schiano just turned down 8 years and $32M from Rutgers :no:.... far as I know he does not have a job?   Strange....

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....that's a good idea...Tenn was lousy loss for sure......but also not a good idea  to just lean on a couple bad games or bad seasons when looking at records.   AZ was a 5-5 team and had lost 4 in a row in the Pac12 …and on Saturday Oregon lost a game that took them out of the play-off picture where they had a very good chance IMO.  That was a huge loss for the ducks....and for the Pac. .

Evaluating coaches is probably more than just W-L and I guess we have to trust AG to do the work..  

PS...seems that Greg Schiano just turned down 8 years and $32M from Rutgers :no:.... far as I know he does not have a job?   Strange....

He did because he saw the big picture. They didn’t want to give him the budget to hire better assistants or put into money for their facilities . The money isn’t meaningful  as much of there is no vision with action to go along with it. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He did because he saw the big picture. They didn’t want to give him the budget to hire better assistants or put into money for their facilities . The money isn’t meaningful  as much of there is no vision with action to go along with it. 

Leaders create vision and attract other visionaries. Like attracts like except magnetarily...

16 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I want Jeff Brohm. Never mind. 
I want Chris Peterson. Never mind 

I want Tom Herman. Never mind

I want Mario C...  never mind 

I am one of the biggest Gus fans on here but I’ll trade him for Peterson today. Not the other three. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

probably….but if he could show some promise for the program he could raise the money from a few sugar daddies perhaps.  Big picture is they are in the Big Ten and expectations would be reasonable from the W-L standpoint.    And I expect the negotiation is not complete....until Rutgers hires someone else or he takes another job. 

But you are right....money is rarely a deciding factor which is why I always poo poo comments on this site that indicate if you throw enough money at a guy we want,  he will take the job here.  

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Flavor of the month.....remember when Tom Herman was THE guy. .....or Jeff Brahm...

Assuming he wins against Oregon State next week. Going 10-2 is flavor of the month? Is that really all it takes for someone to not want a coach? So we can only want the coaches who are currently undefeated right now? lol. Is that how this works? I am not a Bill Clarke guy like some on here but that would be like people not wanting him for the southern miss loss a few weeks ago. It does not take away from the really good things he has done!

3 hours ago, JJB74 said:

yea but win Bo has a bad game it makes Gus a bad coach..............nice logic 

Hmmm ... have you been watching Gus at AU the years before Bo got here?

33 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Assuming he wins against Oregon State next week. Going 10-2 is flavor of the month? Is that really all it takes for someone to not want a coach? So we can only want the coaches who are currently undefeated right now? lol. Is that how this works? I am not a Bill Clarke guy like some on here but that would be like people not wanting him for the southern miss loss a few weeks ago. It does not take away from the really good things he has done!

Hell if going undefeated was the deciding factor,  we wouldn't even have a coach at Auburn lol.

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Hell if going undefeated was the deciding factor,  we wouldn't even have a coach at Auburn lol.

I don’t think it is the undefeated thing .

it is the losing to inferior opponents but like I said, we have a coach who has loss to inferior opponents and the same people gloating are the same

people saying keep him. Bob Stoops loss to inferior opponents all the time. Urban Meyer definitely has his shares of losing to inferior opponents. However, the body of work matters the most. 

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Flavor of the month.....remember when Tom Herman was THE guy. .....or Jeff Brahm...

No he's not.  Tom Herman was an OC at Ohio St. and had no HC experience.  Jeff Brohm was at a small Group of 5 school and took one of the toughest jobs in a Power 5 conference at Purdue.  Cristobal took a fledgling FIU program that was only 6 years old when he came in and won their conference and went to two straight bowl games.  Now he's taken Oregon to a 9-4 season and this year will likely be 10-2 going into the Pac 12 title game. He's been an outstanding offensive line coach before this and one of the best recruiters in the country when he was in the Southeast.

You don't have to like him, but this is lazy reasoning. 

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

... and 4 losses a year, 3 to the same teams over and over, can prompt allegiance that is hard to fathom. 

Archived