I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

Interesting quote from Football Scoop speaking of Hunter Yurachek, Arkansas AD, yesterday, regarding their own search.

"Before we specifically address any potential candidates, just a quick reminder. Nearly every “candidate” for this job will be working this weekend. It would behoove both sides for word to be kept quiet to avoid distractions across the board until after this weekend’s games. With that said…

Sources tell FootballScoop Yurachek is seeking to make a “big time hire.” “He wants a coach has proven he can win football games; but also win the fanbase over as well.” Yurachek, we’re told, believes their fans are craving a coach they can rally around and that is an essential quality he is looking for in their next head coach..."

That doesn't necessarily sound like someone we know...but that's given our jubilee history here. 😉

It does stand as a valid quality to look for in a coach should a vacancy occur. The "football Pearl." W/L records aside,  important as they could be, the ability to bring excitement back to a football program that has the potential to decline even further should things stay static is going to be something that visionary leaders will have to take until account. Our "visionary leaders" will be competing against other "visionary ADs" who'll take perhaps even greater risks too. Just something to keep in mind. 

One more of so many things...😉

https://footballscoop.com/news/pre-thanksgiving-update-on-arkansas-search/

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Why I don't want to get into the dump a coach every 3 year game.

Every coach deserves 4 years to get his culture and recruits in place (unless he has extraordinary problems, or is obviously incompetent and regressing). In my lifetime, Chizik is the shortest tenure and he got 4 years. Barfield got 5 years. Auburn is and has been patient. Gonna be an interesting week if we finish 8-4 with the 4 all being similar. Even more interesting if we finish 8-5 with the 5 being similar.

And I love hearing Texas is back almost as much as I like seeing Jerry Jones in the suite as the Cowboys are losing.

6 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Interesting quote from Football Scoop speaking of Hunter Yurachek, Arkansas AD, yesterday, regarding their own search.

"Before we specifically address any potential candidates, just a quick reminder. Nearly every “candidate” for this job will be working this weekend. It would behoove both sides for word to be kept quiet to avoid distractions across the board until after this weekend’s games. With that said…

Sources tell FootballScoop Yurachek is seeking to make a “big time hire.” “He wants a coach has proven he can win football games; but also win the fanbase over as well.” Yurachek, we’re told, believes their fans are craving a coach they can rally around and that is an essential quality he is looking for in their next head coach..."

That doesn't necessarily sound like someone we know...but that's given our jubilee history here. 😉

It does stand as a valid quality to look for in a coach should a vacancy occur. The "football Pearl." W/L records aside,  important as they could be, the ability to bring excitement back to a football program that has the potential to decline even further should things stay static is going to be something that visionary leaders will have to take until account. Our "visionary leaders" will be competing against other "visionary ADs" who'll take perhaps even greater risks too. Just something to keep in mind. 

One more of so many things...😉

https://footballscoop.com/news/pre-thanksgiving-update-on-arkansas-search/

If Arky were serious about building a 'big time' program, they'd hire Art Briles.  If they get truly desperate, they'll come for Gus.  

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If Arky were serious about building a 'big time' program, they'd hire Art Briles.  If they get truly desperate, they'll come for Gus.  

He really is polarizing...there and here. 😢

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Every coach deserves 4 years to get his culture and recruits in place (unless he has extraordinary problems, or is obviously incompetent and regressing).

Not gonna happen, the new culture will be to change every two years for everyone cause the O will never lose a division, a conference, or a championship again. Nick is gonna look like Barfield compared to what O is about to do.

Wild Boys

wildboys.gif

29 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

So not Gus.

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

He really is polarizing...there and here. 😢

Not many splash hires are going to Arky.  No big name (without a reputation to rebuild) will go there.   Gus may be reviled by half their base, but at least there would be some excitement.   Even if it's only in the form of bar fights, it's still excitement about the football program.  If they hire a nobody from nowhere, it'll be another 40 years wandering the wilderness for the oinkers. 

18 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Not many splash hires are going to Arky.  No big name (without a reputation to rebuild) will go there.   Gus may be reviled by half their base, but at least there would be some excitement.   Even if it's only in the form of bar fights, it's still excitement about the football program.  If they hire a nobody from nowhere, it'll be another 40 years wandering the wilderness for the oinkers. 

Exactly .

What does “splash” hire mean for Arkansas? 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly .

Means y'all hiring. 😁🤣

so-why-should-we-hire-you-me-uhh-because-yall-18783550.png

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly .

Someone they've seen coaching on the sidelines on TV?   

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Could you share the recipe, though? Love tamales! Happy Thanksgiving! 

I asked Bruce if I could and his first response was well "Looks Who's Talking" to you. Then he mumbled something about even if you walked "16 Blocks", through "The Siege"of "Sin City" on "Glass" he would rather the recipe be lost forever in an "Armageddon" than go to you. He then sent me this gif to give to you:

ballball.gif

Plus I don't have the recipe.... I was told you maybe be getting my daughters tamales recipe for free (dirty look), but any other recipes from this family comes with a ring and grandchildren (even dirties look with disappointing sigh and glare at daughter)

Hope you having a good Thanksgiving.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Arky looking for a new coach.

big pig.jpg

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Exactly .

Hopefully Arthur Gustav Malzahn the Third!!! Lol 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Exactly .

To be fair they've done it before because I'm thinking this guy must have made quite a splash.

Screenshot_20191129-044008~2.png

19 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Gus is 12-20 vs ranked teams since 2014.

The discussion is about MC....not Gus...

Just curious....What is MC's record against them?  This year I think he is 0-1 against ranked teams....

JMO but most schools that play a lot of top ranked teams and you are gonna lose some of them too.   AU has probably played more top ranked teams than any non-SEC school...might be wrong but when you play in the SEC west you are gonna run across a lot of them.   

A justified complaint about a coach is losing games the team was supposed to beat.  

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

To be fair they've done it before because I'm thinking this guy must have made quite a splash.

Screenshot_20191129-044008~2.png

What exactly is going on in the background of that pic?! 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just curious....What is MC's record against them?  This year I think he is 0-1 against ranked teams....

JMO but most schools that play a lot of top ranked teams and you are gonna lose some of them too.   AU has probably played more top ranked teams than any non-SEC school...might be wrong but when you play in the SEC west you are gonna run across a lot of them.   

A justified complaint about a coach is losing games the team was supposed to beat.  

3-3 with a win over a top 10 team.

He is also undefeated against their two primary rivals (Washington and Oregon State).

No one is complaining about losing some games to ranked teams.  But being 12-20 is not good at all, especially when we are also typically ranked.  Think of it this way.  Gus is 6-15 against the Big 3 rivals.  If he were 10-11 in those games, he'd be 16-16 against ranked teams and we're probably not having this discussion at all.  But those extra four losses mean a lot.

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

3-3 with a win over a top 10 team.

He is also undefeated against their two primary rivals (Washington and Oregon State).

Never beat an SEC team or a Big 12 team....just over-rated Pac12.....non the less,  if you think that qualifies him for the AU job....go for it.   

34 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Pretty sure Auburn would be undefeated against those two as well. Cristobal has not faced the competition our current coach has faced and his record is still not as good. If you see him as some sort of savior, then ok but you'll have to get away from records and stats and accept that you are putting your faith in an Ouija board.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Actually the post I responded to was about Gus' record.  I'm not getting caught up in your trolling or white knighting or whatever term you'd prefer.

14 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm good with that. Ain't sharing my tamales though! Hope you are having a good Thanksgiving.

I don’t blame you about the tamales.  I have to admit I have never had homemade Thanksgiving Tamales, but it sounds like something I would love to try.

Against LSU, Georgia and Alabama, Gus is 2-5 vs LSU. 2-6 Georgia and 2-4 for now vs Alabama. Total: 6-15. However,, don't be surprised to see that record go to 2-5 against Bammer and his record go to 6-16 against the big 3.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Never beat an SEC team or a Big 12 team....just over-rated Pac12.....non the less,  if you think that qualifies him for the AU job....go for it.   

Overrated?  The PAC 12 gets very little respect nationally.  Not sure how you could say they're overrated.

And you play the schedule your conference gives you.  He's had one game as UO coach against an SEC or Big 12 opponent.  One.  You know who else never beat an SEC team before becoming an SEC coach?  Urban Meyer. 

I swear sometimes y'all make insanely illogical points.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Pretty sure Auburn would be undefeated against those two as well. Cristobal has not faced the competition our current coach has faced and his record is still not as good. If you see him as some sort of savior, then ok but you'll have to get away from records and stats and accept that you are putting your faith in an Ouija board.

We barely got by Washington last year on a "neutral" field, despite the game being played in our back yard and us having way more fans.  I don't think we go into Husky Stadium and win last year at all.  It's one of the loudest environments in college football when they get going.  Cristobal has gone there and won.

And no, I don't see him as some kind of savior.  But I do think he's better than what we have.

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Overrated?  The PAC 12 gets very little respect nationally.  Not sure how you could say they're overrated.

I agree they're not overrated.  Overrated would mean that some percentage of the football world believed that they had any relevance at all.

Pac-12 Showing No Signs of Ending Reign as CFB's Worst Power 5 Conference

No conference has missed the College Football Playoff more than the Pac-12. Oregon fell in the 2014 season's national championship, and Washington bowed out in the semifinals two years later.

Worse yet, the Pac-12 has rarely offered a case as the "snubbed" league when it missed the target. During the final CFP ranking of the 2015, 2017 and 2018 campaigns, the top school ranked sixth, eighth and ninth. Being the first team out is frustrating; not joining the conversation should be unacceptable.

Archived