I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Do you realize that in 9 years of head coaching, Cristobal's won/loss record is 45/54? I see no reason to think he'd beat bammer even half the time, let alone to the extent that you are expecting.

Mark Mangino career record is 50-48 all at the worst power 5 job in the country. You do not see anyone on here clamoring to hire him just because he has a better coaching record than Mario now do you?! See I can post pointless comments and throw out career records that prove nothing just like you! lol. Mario and PJ Fleck have 2 of the biggest upside of any coach in the country we could realistically hire because of their great recruiting ability. They would take our top 10 classes to top 5 every year. You See Bruce Pearl?! You see Butch Thompson?! THOSE TWO GUYS ARE EVEN MORE REASONS WHY WE SHOULD MAKE A CHANGE! We know what the right coach looks like now. We knocked those 2 hires out of the park. Yes Bruce was proven. And yes it took the perfect circumstances to hire him. But Butch had NEVER been a Manager at the power 5 level I believe. We took a chance and it is paying off big time. It was not remotely a guarantee. It was a huge gamble. He is one of the best recruiters in the country. THAT IS WHAT WE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR IN FOOTBALL!!! I think Mario or Fleck could be those guys for football. WE KNOW we do not have THE GUY in football. Why keep putting off the inevitable. Why keep settling for mediocrity when we could be so much more?

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

What's  this? When you can't dispute the facts post a gif? Cristobal has had nine years as a head coach and still has a losing record. That's enough time for any coaching genius to be reflected in his won/loss record.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Mark Mangino career record is 50-48 all at the worst power 5 job in the country. You do not see anyone on here clamoring to hire him just because he has a better coaching record than Mario now do you?! See I can post pointless comments and throw out career records that prove nothing just like you! lol. Mario and PJ Fleck have 2 of the biggest upside of any coach in the country we could realistically hire because of their great recruiting ability. They would take our top 10 classes to top 5 every year. You See Bruce Pearl?! You see Butch Thompson?! THOSE TWO GUYS ARE EVEN MORE REASONS WHY WE SHOULD MAKE A CHANGE! We know what the right coach looks like now. We knocked those 2 hires out of the park. Yes Bruce was proven. And yes it took the perfect circumstances to hire him. But Butch had NEVER been a Manager at the power 5 level I believe. We took a chance and it is paying off big time. It was not remotely a guarantee. It was a huge gamble. He is one of the best recruiters in the country. THAT IS WHAT WE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR IN FOOTBALL!!! I think Mario or Fleck could be those guys for football.

Being a baseball guy myself, I wanted us to hire Butch Thompson back when we hired Pawloski. He has been a star waiting for a place to shine for years now.

About Pearl, surely you aren't trying to compare Bruce's coaching record to someone who has lost more than he's won? Cristobal's record and Pearl's are very different.

Fleck just signed a big extension and raise with Minn. There's no reason for him to come here.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Being a baseball guy myself, I wanted us to hire Butch Thompson back when we hired Pawloski. He has been a star waiting for a place to shine for years now.

About Pearl, surely you aren't trying to compare Bruce's coaching record to someone who has lost more than he's won? Cristobal's record and Pearl's are very different.

Fleck just signed a big extension and raise with Minn. There's no reason for him to come here.

No I am not comparing Pearl to Mario. That is why I pivoted and used Butch for that because it was a risk because he was not proven. I AM using Bruce as a example of he is what we should strive for in a football hire. The characteristics he has. WE KNOW we have THE GUY for basketball and baseball now. We know we do not for football. Coaches sign extensions all the time and have left soon after before. That is just a safety net for their current job. Why would he leave? O I dunno. better job. More money. Extremely better recruiting territory. More passionate fans. Being one of the top dawgs in the conference instead of middle of the pack or bottom feeders. Easier road to success. A realistic chance at some kind of championship year in and year out. But yah NO IDEA why he would want to come here or have any reason too! lol Top 12 job orrrrrrrrrrrr top 50 job?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Easier road to success.

Some of the other points might be worthy of discussion. This one is laughable. Nitey-nite.

58 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Some of the other points might be worthy of discussion. This one is laughable. Nitey-nite.

You think it is easier to win at Minny than Auburn? lol. come on dude. Like are you kidding me? 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

What's  this? When you can't dispute the facts post a gif? Cristobal has had nine years as a head coach and still has a losing record. That's enough time for any coaching genius to be reflected in his won/loss record.

Sorry but this is just not true. FIU was a new D1 football program when he took over. They had never won a single division 1 game when he got there and in four years won their conference and their first bowl game. They have had 5 winning seasons total in their history and he’s responsible for 2 of them. No new program is going to win games at first not even if Saban himself took them over (unless he has the REC with him). There are qualities you look for in a coach. I was reading an article on him and he is a bookworm who reads books on military strategy, leadership techniques and football scouting, something our current coach could use a heaping help of instead of stuck in his own bestselling book. He continues to try and better himself by learning from others instead of pretending to be the smartest guy in the room. Dude is an ace recruiter, a leader of men, and a technician in coaching. He brought in Oregon’s best recruiting class ever. I look for 3 things in a coach: can they evaluate and recruit well, can they develop talent well, and can they lead the team? He checks all three boxes. Nothing in life is a sure thing but I’d take a chance on that kind of guy any day over Gustav the not so great.

Let's see….why did MC leave FIU?  ....or that's right he got fired because the team was going backward for a couple years.   Fortunately he was rehabilitated by Nick at bama and recruited well but suddenly moved from bama to Oregon as an assistant?   That's cool....left bama to take a step down at Oregon...must be an interesting story there?   .    SO he got the HC job when Taggert moved and has two seasons there. .where he is doing pretty well.  

And maybe that's the best AU can do?  who knows :dunno:   But somehow I have a hard time believing he is gonna be the guy to out-recruit and out-coach the rest of the SEC.  

5 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Sorry but this is just not true. FIU was a new D1 football program when he took over.

My thinking is that if you have to make excuses for a guy's nine-year coaching record, he's probably not the one you want.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My thinking is that if you have to make excuses for a guy's nine-year coaching record, he's probably not the one you want.

And yet, you continue to make excuses for Malzahn 7 years into his tenure at Auburn and his abysmal record against our rivals

9 minutes ago, selias said:

And yet, you continue to make excuses for Malzahn 7 years into his tenure at Auburn and his abysmal record against our rivals

Malzahn's record doesn't need excuses. He has a 60-30 record. It's Cristobal's 45-54 record that needs excuses.

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What about making them after 7 years?

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Malzahn's record doesn't need excuses. He has a 60-30 record. It's Cristobal's 45-54 record that needs excuses.

His offense does, his record against his rivals do, and his performance against teams with equal talent does...and you provide them relentlessly

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

We agree on something, Malzahn's record does speak for itself and it is....lackluster

As of Sunday, November 24th, 2019, Gus Malzahn is:

• 2-4 vs. Alabama
  • 2-6 vs. Georgia
  • 2-5 vs. LSU
  • 3-4 in bowl games
  • 2-3 in bowl games vs. major conference teams
  • 0-10 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 31-23 vs. SEC opponents
  • 13-13 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 6-5 vs. non-conference Power 5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them)
  • 5 straight seasons (and counting) with at least four losses
  • 1st loss to a non-major conference team in 27 years
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home)
  • 0 first-round NFL draft picks in the last 5 seasons

Just now, bigbird said:

His offense does, his record against his rivals do and his performance against teams with equal talent does...and you provide them relentlessly

That's a matter of opinion. Mine and yours differ.

2 minutes ago, selias said:

We agree on something, Malzahn's record does speak for itself and it is....lackluster

As of Sunday, November 24th, 2019, Gus Malzahn is:

• 2-4 vs. Alabama
  • 2-6 vs. Georgia
  • 2-5 vs. LSU
  • 3-4 in bowl games
  • 2-3 in bowl games vs. major conference teams
  • 0-10 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 31-23 vs. SEC opponents
  • 13-13 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 6-5 vs. non-conference Power 5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them)
  • 5 straight seasons (and counting) with at least four losses
  • 1st loss to a non-major conference team in 27 years
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home)
  • 0 first-round NFL draft picks in the last 5 seasons

But all of Cristobal's wins were against major opponents, no cupcakes in the mix? His team never was upset?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's a matter of opinion. Mine and yours differ.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

2015: O-74 D-76

2016: O-49 D-7

2017: O-25 D-11

2018: O-48 D-14

2019: O-41 D-11

Avg O: 47.4

Avg D : 23.8

Justify it all you want, but the offense has been mediocre. Gus' calling card is literally our biggest problem.

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

1) Trying to dumb down an argument to just the baseline numbers is really ignorant.  You claim to be baseball guy.  If so, you should know that people's understanding of metrics and evaluation have evolved.  For example, the "Wins" stat for a pitcher is no longer that important when evaluating his effectiveness on the mound.  That goes for batting average giving way to OPS.  Same concept applies here.  

2) 60-30 is literally 8-4 every year.  That's what you're advocating to keep and arguing as "not needing excuses".  Malzahn and his staff are being paid some of the highest salaries in the country to do better than 8-4.  

3) Context matters.  See: Orgeron, Ed.  Ole Miss is not an easy place to win, plus he was younger when he had that job.  His coaching record there was abysmal.  But I think we'd all gladly switch places with LSU right now.

I feel like we have to go through these same arguments over and over. Bottom line is there are two camps here. Those who believe in Auburn football’s ability to compete and succeed at a higher level and those who believe Gus is doing exactly what Auburn is capable of. I thought sports were about competition and drive. Some on here just throw their hands up and say oh well we can’t compete with bama or uga anyway so this is all we can expect. Its a loser mentality before the season even begins. 8-4 is where Auburn belongs is your line of thinking. 

Malzahn has had offensive problems since 2015. While he has ruined QBs and run coxcats, bama and lsu have managed to completely transform their offenses. Our offense is the same old tired stupidity. 

If you’re enjoying the sh@& show we’ve seen too many times then you’re the problem. If you enjoy those 4 loss seasons and making excuses while our rivals compete and get further ahead of us then don’t say you care about Auburn or those players. Especially those defensive players who are laying it on the line week in and week out with no payoff. Y’all must be miserable with the success our basketball team is having.

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

1) Trying to dumb down an argument to just the basline numbers is really ignorant.  You claim to be baseball guy.  If so, you should know that people's understanding of metrics and evaluation have evolved.  For example, the "Wins" stat for a pitcher is no longer that important when evaluating his effectiveness on the mound.  That goes for batting average giving way to OPS.  Same concept applies here.  

2) 60-30 is literally 8-4 every year.  That's what you're advocating to keep and arguing as "not needing excuses".  Malzahn and his staff are being paid some of the highest salaries in the country to do better than 8-4.  

3) Context matters.  See: Orgeron, Ed.  Ole Miss is not an easy place to win, plus he was younger when he had that job.  His coaching record there was abysmal.  But I think we'd all gladly switch places with LSU right now.

Well said, but I think everyone is missing the point about mikey and 64...they DO enjoy 8-4 seasons. They don’t believe we are capable of more. So of course they love Gus. 

49 minutes ago, selias said:

3-4 in bowl games

Ok, this is the second time I've seen this posted.  Who's our 3rd bowl win?  Gus is 2-4 in bowl games only beating crap Memphis without coaching staff, and crap Purdue.

9 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Well said, but I think everyone is missing the point about mikey and 64...they DO enjoy 8-4 seasons. They don’t believe we are capable of more. So of course they love Gus. 

I think you’re missing the point of Mikey, 64 and (to add) abw0004 as they are loyal to the present coach to a degree that is unusual in this day and time.  I would really like to see a change at the top, but I can appreciate where they are coming from.  Now if we do see a change, the interesting part will be how they react to why the change was made.  Do they then throw Gus under the bus or just be supportive of the new coach?

We all know there will be growing pains with a new coach.  I do wonder if these Gus loyalist will be in the *I told you so* mode until things turn around or be totally loyal to the new coach as they are with Gus?

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think you’re missing the point of Mikey, 64 and (to add) abw0004 as they are loyal to the present coach to a degree that is unusual in this day and time.  I would really like to see a change at the top, but I can appreciate where they are coming from.  Now if we do see a change, the interesting part will be how they react to why the change was made.  Do they then throw Gus under the bus or just be supportive of the new coach?

We all know there will be growing pains with a new coach.  I do wonder if these Gus loyalist will be in the *I told you so* mode until things turn around or be totally loyal to the new coach as they are with Gus?

I previously thought that but after seeing their constant defense of this mess I am convinced they do not care about winning at all. 

5 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I previously thought that but after seeing their constant defense of this mess I am convinced they do not care about winning at all. 

When some people are confronted or backed into a corner, they come out swinging.  They just don’t see the other side of the issue.  Ego is a terrible think sometimes, no matter which side you come down on.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:35 AM, augolf1716 said:

Not to hijack but saw Ratt in Lauderdale back in the 80's..............play this song loudddddddd

84 in Biloxi.........love the dual lead guitars in most of their music.....DeMartinez and Crosby RIP had it perfected.

Archived