Lot of smoke out there today

aubiefifty

8 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

This is an excerpt from Football Scoop regarding Arkansas:

“Additionally, sources said a Gus Malzahn reunion is not expected to happen. The famed former ultra-successful Arkansas high school coach and former Hogs offensive coordinator was heavily pursued by Arkansas in 2017, but he elected to remain at Auburn with a 7-year, $49 million contract. Word within the coaching profession is that Malzahn is not interested in using Arkansas as an exit ramp out of Auburn in what can fairly be described as a tenuous situation on the Plains.”

Saw this. 

Opportunity lost. 

Hopes dashed.  

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Shad_sensei said:

I heard from the smoke that Gus will be head coach in 2020. 

You ARE a little late to the party, but what's your story on your screen name? There's a great thread on All Things Considered...

2 hours ago, Shad_sensei said:

Smoke goes with fire right?

Where's the fire? 

Did the turtle put it out with water? How much smoke was there?

Where is the gratitude for what has been accomplished this season with the facts we have been faced with? 

When has Auburn been blown out? How many GREAT defenses has Auburn faced this year? Despite the oh my what 3 losses with a freshman quarterback who is adjusting to the college game? I'm confused about the smoke.  Why does no one want to help me? squirtle, squritle.

The dude averages 14 points a game against Top 10 teams. He's 0-10 on the road against Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. 2-6 vs Georgia, 2-5 against LSU, 2-4 against Bama overall. 0-2 against Clemson, including a thrilling 117 yard performance in 2017 and a 6 QB circle jerk in 2016. He ran the ball up the middle on 17 consecutive first downs against LSU in 2017 and generated, I believe, 1 first down in the second half. We lost to Tennessee at home with the now backup QB to the greatest NFL QB of all time. We would've lost 21-0 to UGA at home this year if not for the Bulldogs going to a Prevent defense. The offense ALWAYS looks like garbage against good teams, he does a piss poor job of utilizing players, his play-calling is predictable and ineffective, he doesn't recruit offensive lineman or any other position outside of WR worth a damn, and he can't adjust when his gameplan isn't working.

Let's be honest, if not for Steel's defense, Gus would've probably not had a winning record the past 3 years.

That sum it up well enough for you?

8 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

The dude averages 14 points a game against Top 10 teams. He's 0-10 on the road against Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. 2-6 vs Georgia, 2-5 against LSU, 2-4 against Bama overall. 0-2 against Clemson, including a thrilling 117 yard performance in 2017 and a 6 QB circle jerk in 2016. He ran the ball up the middle on 17 consecutive first downs against LSU in 2017 and generated, I believe, 1 first down in the second half. We lost to Tennessee at home with the now backup QB to the greatest NFL QB of all time. We would've lost 21-0 to UGA at home this year if not for the Bulldogs going to a Prevent defense. The offense ALWAYS looks like garbage against good teams, he does a piss poor job of utilizing players, his play-calling is predictable and ineffective, he doesn't recruit offensive lineman or any other position outside of WR worth a damn, and he can't adjust when his gameplan isn't working.

Let's be honest, if not for Steel's defense, Gus would've probably not had a winning record the past 3 years.

Mic Drop GIF by Best Friends Animal Society - Find & Share ...

14 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

giphy.gif

Where's the fire? 

Where is the gratitude for what has been accomplished this season with the facts we have been faced with? 

When has Auburn been blown out? How many GREAT defenses has Auburn faced this year? Despite the oh my what 3 losses with a freshman quarterback who is adjusting to the college game? I'm confused about the smoke.  Why does no one want to help me? squirtle, squritle.

source-5.gif

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Saw this. 

Opportunity lost. 

Hopes dashed.  

You didn't automatically believe it...???...I did for a moment, but then I regrouped. 😁

4 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

You didn't automatically believe it...???...I did for a moment, but then I regrouped. 😁

I'm thinking Hugh Freeze to Pig Nation.    Cheaper and better than GusBot.

I just find it telling that in his own book (The HUNH: An Offensive Philosophy) Gus told coaches utilizing a 2-minute offense during an entire game would soon be impossible. So he knew one day it would fail. He shocked everyone when he first introduced it, but it did fail and we were unfortunately the place it all crashed. So my thought is, could all this smoke and potential fire have been avoided?

Did Gus attempt to change his philosophy after it started failing or is he incapable of adjusting (a one trick pony)?

I just feel that if Gus was the "offensive mastermind" many at first believed, he could have adjusted his offense(knowing it would soon fail) and dodge all this chaos and hot seat stuff.

You're right!

Thank you Gus for losing to our rivals again.

Thank you for averaging ~ 14pts against competent defenses

Thank you for your dedication to a failing offensive philosophy.

Thank you for competing for championships in September and most of October

Thank you for keeping our offensive players fresh for the 4th qtr against UGa by not playing the the first 3 1/2 quarters. That was Genius.

Thank you for abandoning the RPO plays that were successful against Oregon and MSU.

Thank you for not losing to Ole Miss

Thank you for trying to develop our players by ignoring their skill sets and forcing them to do things they aren't great at.

Thank you for retaining Grimes. The improvement in OL is indescribable

Thank you for the wildcat and ignoring the detractors that say we can run left.

Thank you for expanding Joiner's role to both the Rail and the Flat.

Thank you for nurturing the apathy among the fans.

Thank you for all you have done for us this year.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Orgeron had several holes to fill on that roster when he took over from Miles.  He brought in Juco's and transfers to fill out the deficiencies on the roster and built to what it is today.  He fired a staff and gave them a vision and a plan, the defense is nothing to write home about but that offense is top shelf.

Orgeron is not lucky, he is determined and has a plan and he said himself "hire the best staff available and let 'em do their job".  He obviously knows his limitations and is flexible enough to let others do what they do.

Thank you @keesler, you said it better than I ever could.

3 hours ago, Shad_sensei said:

Where's the fire? 

Nice early post. A shad sensei? So how do you get those little fish to sweep a leg anyway? 

Screenshot_20191121-135909~2.png

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

I'm curious about your methodology.  

Unless my math is wrong, CGM's offenses have average ~24/ppg versus top 10 teams.   Twenty-four games, 575 points scored.

Not that he hasn't been abysmal in those games: seventeen away or at a neutral site (3-14), seven at home (4-3).

WDE!

Maybe the quiet now is good news. Hopefully the Steele interim hullabaloo was some smoke and mirrors to keep our top candidate on board. Still holding out hope for a Stoops or Cristobal splash. Who knows maybe it’s only a fools hope. 

17 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Nice early post. A shad sensei? So how do you get those little fish to sweep a leg anyway? 

Screenshot_20191121-135909~2.png

Oh this is wonderful. Thank you!

if he keeps losing to  our three biggest rivals especially Alabama and Georgia he will not be here much longer bottom line we haven't won in Athens since 2005 and guess where we play Georgia at next year? we haven't won in Tuscaloosa since 2010 and guess where the Iron Bowl is played at next year? 8-4 will only get you so far and it wont get you much farther if you don't start putting out some wins against Alabama and Georgia

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

You're right!

Thank you Gus for losing to our rivals again.

Thank you for averaging ~ 14pts against competent defenses

Thank you for your dedication to a failing offensive philosophy.

Thank you for competing for championships in September and most of October

Thank you for keeping our offensive players fresh for the 4th qtr against UGa by not playing the the first 3 1/2 quarters. That was Genius.

Thank you for abandoning the RPO plays that were successful against Oregon and MSU.

Thank you for not losing to Ole Miss

Thank you for trying to develop our players by ignoring their skill sets and forcing them to do things they aren't great at.

Thank you for retaining Grimes. The improvement in OL is indescribable

Thank you for the wildcat and ignoring the detractors that say we can run left.

Thank you for expanding Joiner's role to both the Rail and the Flat.

Thank you for nurturing the apathy among the fans.

Thank you for all you have done for us this year.

623F802E-DA72-477D-A50C-C4B6EC725961.gif

Smoke out there's from the hysterical villagers with their torches and pitch forks. Malzahn the "monster" is loose, losing by 3 to #1, by a TD to #4 & by a missed tackle and self-tripped D lineman to #11. (Everybody KNOWS that win vs #6 was a fluke). Sitting top 15 with that schedule at end of Nov again? Burn him!!!!

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Smoke out there's from the hysterical villagers with their torches and pitch forks. Malzahn the "monster" is loose, losing by 3 to #1, by a TD to #4 & by a missed tackle and self-tripped D lineman to #11. (Everybody KNOWS that win vs #6 was a fluke). Sitting top 15 with that schedule at end of Nov again? Burn him!!!!

Would you say we've improved offensively since '17?

21 hours ago, Shad_sensei said:

Where's the fire? 

The evolution of a Gus apologist

6CB80D7B-8DC3-4E73-B974-EFC102CD5709.jpeg

It’s a pitiful state of affairs when the hope has been completely sucked out of Auburn football. We celebrate moral victories and indignantly defend a coach winning 67% of his games,<30% of his games against our major rivals (that since the 80s we’ve been on pretty much equal footing with), and 25% of his bowl games. This to me is THE reason to get rid of Gus right now. He has somehow lulled people into an acceptance of mediocrity that we had once reserved for basketball. And now, all we have to do is look at that same men’s basketball program to see how transformative a good coach can be. I hope Auburn football can somehow weather this storm of welcoming ordinariness. I think Auburn deserves better.

Alright, let's fire Gus. Get out of here Gus. You are fired. 

Now that we've got Gus out of here. 

What are our expectations for 2020 with a new chief at the helm?

What about 2021? 

Just now, Shad_sensei said:

Alright, let's fire Gus. Get out of here Gus. You are fired. 

Now that we've got Gus out of here. 

What are our expectations for 2020 with a new chief at the helm?

What about 2021? 

I'd say they are about the same in 2020. However, we would be moving forward into 2021, not starting over each year.  Our program has zero identity. Each year we wait 4 games to see what that year's team is gonna be. As a HC you should set the direction and identity if the program. After 7 years, our identity is that we are the most schizophrenic program in the nation.

Archived