Another RB Thread From the Recruiting Forum

JBiGGiE

24 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He shouldn’t but I just think they could convince him. None of these RBs should move but either they’re moving or they’re transferring 

Yeah somebody’s transferring but nobody should switch positions, all those guys are talented RB’s

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season, the offense moved better in big games when Boobie was in there. Somebody should have to knock him out of the way before he's demoted. They might do that, but it didn't happen this year.

Jay Tate made a comment on one of his podcasts that Auburn went from running their backs into the ground to maybe spreading the ball around too much.  I think the Bama game was a great use of backs.  Boobee, Worm, and DJ all got chances.  Boobee has the hot hand over DJ and got the majority of the meaningful touches.  I wonder if the NFL would look at Boobee after next season?  Speaking of recruiting it looks like Auburn already has a top notch back in the 2021 class.  If the Oline can improve and open up holes Nix may see his throwing attempts decrease a bit.

20 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Jay Tate made a comment on one of his podcasts that Auburn went from running their backs into the ground to maybe spreading the ball around too much.  I think the Bama game was a great use of backs.  Boobee, Worm, and DJ all got chances.  Boobee has the hot hand over DJ and got the majority of the meaningful touches.  I wonder if the NFL would look at Boobee after next season?  Speaking of recruiting it looks like Auburn already has a top notch back in the 2021 class.  If the Oline can improve and open up holes Nix may see his throwing attempts decrease a bit.

The last thing Chad Morris is doing is decreasing pass attempts. He just doesn’t operate like that and I don’t see why the NFL wouldn’t give him a look. Peyton Barber made a roster and is a good contributor to the Bucs and I think Boobee is better than he was

Whitlow lacks big play speed and in this offense that is what it will take for us to be at full effectiveness.

He’s been the only back that doesn’t go down at first blow more often than not, but I’d like to see us improve. I think DJ has a higher ceiling. 

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

The last thing Chad Morris is doing is decreasing pass attempts. He just doesn’t operate like that and I don’t see why the NFL wouldn’t give him a look. Peyton Barber made a roster and is a good contributor to the Bucs and I think Boobee is better than he was

Barber was who I was thinking of.  Boobee is almost Peyton 2.0.  I don’t think Nix needs to throw it 40 times a game to put up crazy numbers.  Usually when Auburn passes that many times it’s because the running game isn’t working.  I’m looking for Chad to get Auburn away from so many horizontal passes and more down field passes.  Was It the UGA game in 18 where Stidham had 15 completions for an average of 5 yards?

4 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

Any RB that can’t hold on to the ball will be watching the NFL from an armchair. 

All RB’s fumble. Even NFL RB’s

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I think they'll be running more plays period, which should allow rushing attempts to increase. Nix should be getting at least 27-28 passes a game with how good the receivers are 

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t think throwing attempts will or should decrease. I think we will get more first downs and there will be more offensive opportunities for everyone. 

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus seems to prioritize seniority.

However, you bring a great point about the ball security. Any other back previously with that many fumbles would've been relegated to scout team back only to be seen again on A-day. 

IMO, although a good back, Boobee is missing some of the essential qualities to be an elite back. His vision is lacking and he misses a lot of holes (why it looked like nothing creases), he doesn't seem to follow his blocks and tries to bounce most everything, he doesn't have the too end speed, and he has real ball security issues. When he was moved to RB the criticism was he was still trying to "out athlete" the defense. He still has moments of that. That said, he is a very hard runner that is difficult to tackle and is better than he is bad. 

With the younger backs we have and are bringing in, I don't see him holding them off unless Gus says so. It's JMO feel free to disagree.

Who would you rather have Fannin or Mason/Kerryon/Irons/Caddy/etc.?

I agree with the criticism but I think a lot of it comes from his freshman year, I give that year a pass. This year he did show improvement but he lacks that next gear of speed, that’s my one negative for Boobie. He fumbled it a few times but that can generally be corrected. I did see DJ missing holes to but again as a freshman I let em slide. I think he will be even better next year with the experience assuming we have an oline. DJ can be a better back imo but the more depth the better.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus seems to prioritize seniority.

However, you bring a great point about the ball security. Any other back previously with that many fumbles would've been relegated to scout team back only to be seen again on A-day. 

IMO, although a good back, Boobee is missing some of the essential qualities to be an elite back. His vision is lacking and he misses a lot of holes (why it looked like nothing creases), he doesn't seem to follow his blocks and tries to bounce most everything, he doesn't have the too end speed, and he has real ball security issues. When he was moved to RB the criticism was he was still trying to "out athlete" the defense. He still has moments of that. That said, he is a very hard runner that is difficult to tackle and is better than he is bad. 

With the younger backs we have and are bringing in, I don't see him holding them off unless Gus says so. It's JMO feel free to disagree.

Despite his fumbling issues Fannin was one heck of an athlete.

2 hours ago, tigerrules said:

Any RB that can’t hold on to the ball will be watching the NFL from an armchair. 

*A. Peterson coughs from a corner...

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Despite his fumbling issues Fannin was one heck of an athlete.

Fannin was amazing to watch, but his fumbles were a huge problem.

I think it was the broncos where he made roster multiple times and then got injured.... always thought he could shine if not for injuries in the NFL.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let me go ahead and just bully this thread I guess... :lol: 

Caddy is easily #1.

Mason is #2

Most would say Kerryon or Irons next, I'll go Fannin... see previous post.

Kerryon is 4

Irons can be my #5... and I'll take my 5th against most people 1's :) 

6 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Let me go ahead and just bully this thread I guess... :lol: 

Caddy is easily #1.

Mason is #2

Most would say Kerryon or Irons next, I'll go Fannin... see previous post.

Kerryon is 4

Irons can be my #5... and I'll take my 5th against most people 1's :) 

Good list.........had Irons not been injured he could easily been ranked higher on my list.......never forget him calling out 200yrds on a stout LSU D.........and getting it.😂

I would love to see what a guy like James Brooks could do playing the game in this decade.  Pound for pound the best Auburn back; all 'round' skill player; we ever put on the field.  

On 12/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, JBiGGiE said:

I agree Boobee lacks vision and maybe that's something that can be improved with experience. Kerryon's vision masked a lot of offensive line deficiencies. But that's just the difference between great and elite back.

I hate when people (or idiots to be blunt) try to write-off Whitlow as not being SEC caliber despite putting up a 100+ yards/7+ ypc against a great (not elite) Alabama defense.

Boobee did well in the IB against the worst Alabama defense they've fielded in a decade, they were not great or anywhere close to elite.  Boobee took advantage of it and did his job, so WDE.

He will only get better IMO with more development and experience.  I think he goes off on that Minnesota defense in the Outback. 

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Boobee did well in the IB against the worst Alabama defense they've fielded in a decade, they were not great or anywhere close to elite.  Boobee took advantage of it and did his job, so WDE.

He will only get better IMO with more development and experience.  I think he goes off on that Minnesota defense in the Outback. 

I wonder just how much of their D is coaching..........hard to believe it would be a talent issue

20 hours ago, keesler said:

Worst defense this decade? I'll give you that, but of course that is relative. Besides Auburn and LSU, only Ole Miss scored > 30 pts and most of that came after the 2nd half when the game was well away.

My only disagreement is I think you give Bama a bit too little credit.

WDE

I like the fact that we gonna have a Boobie, a Worm and a Tank in the backfield.  Plus a Big Cat and Smoke on the defense.  With names like that we got to be badass! 

46 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I like the fact that we gonna have a Boobie, a Worm and a Tank in the backfield.  Plus a Big Cat and Smoke on the defense.  With names like that we got to be badass! 

I don't know. With how it panned out this year, I see Worm transferring. 

I think it will be a Boobie, DJ, Mar/Tank backfield....

Archived