early enrollees impressed in first weeks

aubiefifty

Auburn’s early enrollees impressed in first weeks

By Giana Han

4-5 minutes

O-Line in drills Monday, Bailey Sharp (66) Auburn Football practice on Monday, March 25, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

With the coronavirus pandemic, Auburn’s early enrollees have lost half of the extra four months advantage they would have had, but in the few weeks they had with the team, they were impressive.

“I was really enjoying working with them,” Auburn strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell said. “It’s a good crew.”

The early enrollees arrived the second week of January to start class at Auburn. The winter offseason started after Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The first round of workouts was a four-week block where the coaches weren’t involved. Russell said the players were “phenomenal” during that period. That was followed by a three-week block that ended with Auburn Pro Day and spring break.

Russell felt really good about how the winter season went and the sense of urgency shown. He was looking forward to seeing it continue into spring practice, which would have started the Monday the team got back and culminated in A-Day on April 11. They would have tested the players on April 25.

Obviously, none of that has happened or will happen. The early enrollees will not get those final weeks in the weight room, on the field and with the coaches, which is where a large part of their growth would have happened. The coaches won’t have that time to evaluate them further and see what needs to be done. Instead, they all will rely on those first seven weeks.

Luckily, those weeks were a good sign of what’s to come. Russell said that, as a group, they all did a good job of picking up everything that was thrown at them.

“Just the overall low-ego, high-output approach they brought everyday was awesome,” Russell said.

READ: Amidst shutdown, Auburn signees find ways to keep preparing for college level

Ten of Auburn’s 26 signees from the class of 2020 chose to enroll early, including Tank Bigsby, Zykeivous Walker, Kobe Hudson, Ladarius Tennison, Christ Thompson Jr., Romello Height, Killian Zierer, Avery Jernigan, Tate Johnson and Chayil Garnett.

With his new title, executive director of football, Russell is now responsible for working with those guys who arrived early. He teaches them about expectations and culture while working on their personal development, so he’s very familiar with this year’s class.

In those first weeks, Bigsby’s love for the game and work ethic were very clear. He obviously has talent, but it’s the work ethic that’s exciting to Russell. He can tell Bigsby is dedicated.

“This game is a lifestyle to him, it’s not just a game,” Russell said. “He’s all about it.”

Hudson also showed off what a great athlete he is, especially in his movements, and Walker impressed as well. However, Russell doesn’t want to single those three or anyone else out too much because of how well all 10 did as a group.

“They’ve all done a good job, they really have,” Russell said. “It’s going to be exciting to continue to work with them and progress them during their time here for sure.”

For now, they’re all working at home using one of two plans, depending on if they have access to weights or a gym. The rest of the class of 2020 also has those plans in addition to the personalized plans they received after signing with Auburn.

I wonder (if the virus fades) if the NCAA would let teams basically run spring drills in June/July straight into the beginning of Fall camp in August.  I hear a lot of people say that the players won’t physically be ready but if you let them go straight through the summer I don’t see what the difference would be?  Also every team would be in the same boat as far as practice time so other than returning players there shouldn’t be a huge difference.

• WarTiger changed the title to early enrollees impressed in first weeks
On 4/9/2020 at 2:44 PM, Win4AU said:

I wonder (if the virus fades) if the NCAA would let teams basically run spring drills in June/July straight into the beginning of Fall camp in August.  I hear a lot of people say that the players won’t physically be ready but if you let them go straight through the summer I don’t see what the difference would be?  Also every team would be in the same boat as far as practice time so other than returning players there shouldn’t be a huge difference.

I think something like this would have to happen. Say add like 10-12 extra practices with only half being full contact and a week between that and a normal fall camp. 

I especially like hearing that about Bigsby, because I think he's going to have to come on as our main running back. I have doubts about Williams' efficacy as the primary back, because he tailed off at the end of the season, and if you take away the one 70 yard run against LSU, he wasn't particularly impressive before that, either. And as much as I absolutely adore Worm and the effort he puts in, it doesn't seem as if the coaches believe in him as an every down back. Of course, Richards could surprise everyone and take that spot as the primary back, but hearing about the drive Tank has makes me think he will be the one to take the reins as the next great Auburn running back.

Then again, maybe we'll get to see the four headed monster that they can be if everything falls right. How cool would it be to have the offense start humming with multiple pieces at every skill position except QB (because I don't think anyone but Nix will be playing there)?

Archived