Inverted Veer

Auhud08

This is not an “i hate gus malzahn thread”

I saw this posted on twitter (links to a highlight of Lamar Jacksons inverted veer read option runs) and I know its been discussed how Malzahn has changed in his use of the read option, but I dont recall a lot about why. It seems the R/O could work better with the IV rather than Belly (obviously QB plays a part in this). I personally think Malzahn switched with Nick Marshall to going outside since he was a much smaller but much quicker runner than Cam. But I dont understand why it hasnt been tried more often with some of the other QBs we’ve had or even just as a changeup to R/O Belly. What are yalls thoughts? Does anyone know why? Or is it all driven by QB talents/skillset?

https://mobile.twitter.com/pff_seth/status/1256723

I tried to make this look good and bring the whole tweet in here but I dont know how. If there is a how to itd be much appreciated if someone could shoot me that link. 

2 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

I saw this posted on twitter (links to a highlight of Lamar Jacksons inverted veer read option runs) and I know its been discussed how Malzahn has changed in his use of the read option, but I dont recall a lot about why. It seems the R/O could work better with the IV rather than Belly (obviously QB plays a part in this). I personally think Malzahn switched with Nick Marshall to going outside since he was a much smaller but much quicker runner than Cam. But I dont understand why it hasnt been tried more often with some of the other QBs we’ve had or even just as a changeup to R/O Belly. What are yalls thoughts? Does anyone know why? Or is it all driven by QB talents/skillset?

I tried to make this look good and bring the whole tweet in here but I dont know how. If there is a how to itd be much appreciated if someone could shoot me that link. 

I think you answer it yourself, halfway. It’s qb talent. But just as much offensive line talent. 

11 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

I have coached both of these schemes at the high school level.  The Zone Read scheme, being based off of inside zone blocking, is a much more effective scheme at picking up blitzes when teams start trying to bring them.  The Power Read, being a gap scheme, is much less effective against the blitz.  Also, the inside zone can help out with deficiencies in offensive linemen who aren’t just bulldozers because they don’t necessarily have to get as much push and can “cover” people up and allow backs to run to daylight.  If you do have linemen who can push people around you can be absolutely dominant with it (i.e. 2013).  Having said that, I have noticed Malzahn using the Power Read more with Nix (the play he fumbled on against UGA) but they will probably continue to be heavy inside zone.

I dont really know about the coaches intention but when we ran the inverted veer in 2010 and Cam would run that power play I was always worried about him getting hurt going back up in the middle of the line but if you run the quarterback option in the zone read the QB keeps it around the end with less congestion and less likely to get hurt.

We did a little Outside Zone Read/Inverted Veer/Power Read with Nick Marshall, but not much.

We also did a little Inside Zone Read with Cam Newton, but not much.

I really think it comes down to personnel. With a small fast RB like Omac and big bruising QB like Cam, the RB speed sweep and the QB power complement each other well. With a powerful inside running threat like Tre Mason and a fast, agile QB like Marshall, the Inside Zone Read is playing to strengths.

But at the same time you do not want to be predictable.

The "Toss Read" is a variation of the Power Read that is becoming more popular.

Archived