2021 OL Recruiting Thread

ellitor

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Well when you don't think there's many good OL options left at the high school level & you feel the roster needs an immediate upgrade the transfer portal is the best option then.

And we’ve done pretty well there over the years, although it’s definitely not ideal.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have we looked to Australia for some OL help?  We are building a pipeline there for punters.

How about Iceland?   Don't they always win the strongest man contests?

Hafthor Julius Bjornsson: The Mountain from Iceland – Kultur  I bet nearly every man over 6'5" on Iceland has eligibility remaining.

4 hours ago, toddc said:

And we’ve done pretty well there over the years, although it’s definitely not ideal.

Right. I was being sarcastic when I made my other post. We have actually done really well considering the recruiting or lack of recruiting quality HS OL...but it i a band-aid...not a permanent solution.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

This tread needs to be updated. A lot has happened since this was first posted.

No it doesn't. The remainder of the OL class will be transfers.

We had a big haul of JC O-Linemen last year one Zierer was hurt and one as I remember looked good but needed to add some more mass before could really play in the SEC.  Is Zierer healthy now and do we think he can contribute.  I think it was Coffee that needed to add mass did he or is that still ongoing and will happen more during this coming off season?

I realize there are no more uncommitted HS OLs out there that interest us.  So you're also saying there is no chance of a flip at this point?

6 hours ago, autan said:

So you're also saying there is no chance of a flip at this point?

@autan Doesn't look like the staff is looking for one. Supposedly though an uncommitted high school OL has caught the staff's eye based on his work this season. Haven't seen a name yet though.

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We had a big haul of JC O-Linemen last year one Zierer was hurt and one as I remember looked good but needed to add some more mass before could really play in the SEC.  Is Zierer healthy now and do we think he can contribute.  I think it was Coffee that needed to add mass did he or is that still ongoing and will happen more during this coming off season?

Coffee played a good bit when Hamm got injured.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Coffee played a good bit when Hamm got injured.

Still needs to get bigger.  I think he was playing at around 275 this year.  He is very strong, but needs mass to play OT in the SEC.  Zierer was around 295, so he still needs another 10 - 15 lbs at least.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 3:09 PM, auburn4ever said:

Our offensive line recruiting is down right awful for many years. This years class is no different.

It's offensive for sure....bwahahaha

Hey - any idea what the remaining targets look like?  

Today is a whole new day and I am thinking Harsin will be calling some uncommitted recruits on Saturday.

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

It's offensive for sure....bwahahaha

Today is a whole new day and I am thinking Harsin will be calling some uncommitted recruits on Saturday.

The pickings are pretty slim, at all positions. Around 80% of the prospects sign during the just completed early signing period.

The thing with most transfers is they are leaving because of a lack of playing time.

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Transfers, baby! :hellyeah:

There may be some small number of guys from smaller schools who want one year in the Big Time to help their NFL stock. I don't see where guys who transfer out from P-5 schools will help us much. If they didn't work out there, wherever "there" was they probably won't work out at AU either.

I can't name even one who left Auburn and later became a big success at another P-5 level school. Cowart did play some at Maryland but he never lived up to the hype he had when we signed him.

In Cowart's case, the change must have helped him. He got drafted by the Patriots in the 5th round and is still on the roster. When he was at AU, I don't think many of us would have predicted he'd end up an NFL draft choice.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

There may be some small number of guys from smaller schools who want one year in the Big Time to help their NFL stock. I don't see where guys who transfer out from P-5 schools will help us much. If they didn't work out there, wherever "there" was they probably won't work out at AU either.

I can't name even one who left Auburn and later became a big success at another P-5 level school. Cowart did play some at Maryland but he never lived up to the hype he had when we signed him.

Jamel Dean transferred from OH state to AU. Jay Prosch from Illinois. Corey Grant from AL. We just need to fill some gaps for one year right now. 

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Jamel Dean transferred from OH state to AU. Jay Prosch from Illinois. Corey Grant from AL. We just need to fill some gaps for one year right now. 

Dean: Ohio State said he could never play there due to injury concerns. So he left.

Prosch: Moved closer to home because his mom had cancer.

Grant: Always wanted to be at AU but family pressured him to go to Tuscaloosa. So he decided to finally follow his heart and go where HE wanted to go.

These are three very special cases, spread over many years. The few other transfers we've had luck with were guys at smaller schools who wanted to move up. Example, Driscoll.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Dean: Ohio State said he could never play there due to injury concerns. So he left.

Grant: Always wanted to be at AU but family pressured him to go to Tuscaloosa. So he decided to finally follow his heart and go where HE wanted to go.

These are three very special cases, spread over many years. The few other transfers we've had luck with were guys at smaller schools who wanted to move up. Example, Driscoll.

My point is that in a year with transfers wide open, finding a handful to fill the gaps if that’s a coach’s focus, it should be very possible. He may have a list of HS players he thinks he can pull to AU that he couldn’t sell on Boise.

So I get the sentiment that players leaving the big P5 schools this year were guys that probably couldn't work their way into the starting rotation at their current school, or even into the rotation at all. Just because a guy can't get PT at Bama, Uga, Oh St, or any one of 20-30 other schools......doesn't mean he isn't able to beat out what we have. Let's be honest....Our OL recruiting has been so terrible...we are probably near the bottom shelf of P5 schools with OL....I would even venture to say several G5 schools have a better OL room than we do right now. I say bring them on! 

On 12/24/2020 at 3:20 PM, Beaker said:

@Beaker No. The rest of our OL for the class are likely to come from the transfer portal as there aren’t many quality high school prospects left.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Blake Countess was a good get from Michigan as well. 

Archived