Can anything change Americans’ minds about Donald Trump?

homersapien

40 minutes ago, creed said:

Can anything change Americans’ minds about Donald Trump?

Not my mind. I think he's a turd.

Yup. He's had 4 years to change minds. He has chosen instead to reinforce and, in most cases, magnify the negative perceptions about him to the point of caricature. This isn't an opinion based on the media's coverage of him. This is based on the man's own words and actions. 

On 9/6/2020 at 10:56 AM, SuperAUsome09 said:

This election is solely “It’s not Biden/Trump”. Policies be d***ed.

It's a shame that this narrative continues to be perpetuated. It's not accurate. While Biden wasn't the first choice for many who will be voting Democrat this election, he is a very palatable choice for many. He's not the complete garbage candidate that so many GOP voters, independents and self-professed centrists keep trying to portray him as. Democrats don't hate Biden nearly as much as "y'all" want him to. 

Yes, I would have voted for a dog turd over trump. No, that doesn't mean Joe Biden is a dog turd. Not sure who folks think they're going to convince by saying it over and over again. If anything, you're probably more likely to galvanize the less enthusiastic just like calling a spade of spade has mobilized trump's perfectly analogous navy. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. He's had 4 years to change minds. He has chosen instead to reinforce and, in most cases, magnify the negative perceptions about him to the point of caricature. This isn't an opinion based on the media's coverage of him. This is based on the man's own words and actions. 

It's a shame that this narrative continues to be perpetuated. It's not accurate. While Biden wasn't the first choice for many who will be voting Democrat this election, he is a very palatable choice for many. He's not the complete garbage candidate that so many GOP voters, independents and self-professed centrists keep trying to portray him as. Democrats don't hate Biden nearly as much as "y'all" want him to. 

Yes, I would have voted for a dog turd over trump. No, that doesn't mean Joe Biden is a dog turd. Not sure who folks think they're going to convince by saying it over and over again. If anything, you're probably more likely to galvanize the less enthusiastic just like calling a spade of spade has mobilized trump's perfectly analogous navy. 

Don't take my non-vote for Trump to mean I'll be voting for Biden, unless he communicates a clear plan on how to bring the Democratic party back to the middle. Also, I'll be interested in hearing how he will reduce federal spending, implementing a healthcare system that works for everyone, establishing a non intrusive but fair domestic economic plan that will spawn a healthy private and public business environment, and right-sizing our military because I think it's to large.  Currently, the republican or democrat platforms don't have what it takes to earn my vote so I'll probably write in a candidate. 

On 9/4/2020 at 4:58 PM, autigeremt said:

Try having been a soldier, a coastie, a cop, a firefighter, a hazmedic and a paramedic watching all this s#%^! Angry isn’t the beginning of it. 

Perspective. No words except thank you, EMT. 

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Disparage the messenger, ignore the content.  It's exactly what a useful idiot would do.

When the messenger is a biased partisan and the content is a lie, a knowledgeable person would disparage the one and ignore the other.

11 hours ago, creed said:

Don't take my non-vote for Trump to mean I'll be voting for Biden, unless he communicates a clear plan on how to bring the Democratic party back to the middle. Also, I'll be interested in hearing how he will reduce federal spending, implementing a healthcare system that works for everyone, establishing a non intrusive but fair domestic economic plan that will spawn a healthy private and public business environment, and right-sizing our military because I think it's to large.  Currently, the republican or democrat platforms don't have what it takes to earn my vote so I'll probably write in a candidate. 

Well, the other guy is actively trying to subvert every check and balance our Constitution set forth to protect us from tyranny, to include whoring out the DOJ for his own personal legal defense, but y'all do y'all. 

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Perhaps it gets perpetuated because it could in fact have some accuracy. Biden wasn't the first choice for many because he wasn't the best option. Very palatable choice compared to? Trump? Sanders? Yeah he's not COMPLETE garbage, but even slight garbage is still garbage. Democrats CAN'T hate Biden because he is the only option there is now to oppose Trump.

I would classify a dog turd of a candidate to be one of questionable policies, attitude, and leadership qualities. So why vote for that unless the other candidate is absolute absurdity. So voting a dog turd(figuratively) would, in fact, be voting just because "at least it's not the absurd choice". 

3 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

Very palatable choice compared to? Trump? Sanders?

Or most candidates that have been put forth by either party as long as I've been of voting age. 

Yeah he's not COMPLETE garbage, but even slight garbage is still garbage.

I'm just going to assume that you rarely cast a real vote, then, and instead appease your own conscience with a worthless write-in.

Democrats CAN'T hate Biden because he is the only option there is now to oppose Trump.

Oh, Democrats can hate Biden, and many do. Democrats don't subscribe to the same brand of party-over-country-and-self groupthink that GOP voters usually do. (I say usually because trump has finally found the limits of what many GOP voters will put up with.) It's why Republicans are so much better at politics while sucking major ass at actual government.

I would classify a dog turd of a candidate to be one of questionable policies, attitude, and leadership qualities.

Cool. You've already established that you paint with a broad brush. Joe Biden is not a dog turd. He's the same brand of flawed candidate we normally get. Which puts him in a completely different- and far higher- class of leader and human being than that rat ******* s*** stain currently at work destroying this country. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Joe Biden is not a dog turd

That's debatable. He may be a dog turd that's also 30 years past his relevancy, and showing serious signs of cognitive decline...and he didn't have much of a buffer to start with.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm just going to assume that you rarely cast a real vote, then, and instead appease your own conscience with a worthless write-in.

I will respectfully disagree and respect your views. But I will say this exchange, for me, is over. 

That last part tells me everything. That type of mental slavery is exactly what is wrong with America today. The idea of "Your vote is worthless if it doesn't align with our side". That is exactly the monster of s*** that is the Republican party and Trump. You silence someone's voice and say "it's worthless and not real" makes you part of the disease that has corrupted this country. 

Again, in all due respect, your opinion is your own. Have a good day. Stay safe and stay well. 

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

That's debatable. He may be a dog turd that's also 30 years past his relevancy, and showing serious signs of cognitive decline...and he didn't have much of a buffer to start with.

30 years past his relevancy? He was veep 4 years ago.

I know that you desperately want Biden to be a worse candidate than he really is. I don't understand it, and really wish folks like you would wait until we don't have a fascist incumbent to resume that mindset, but I guess just go on waiting for Jesus Kennedy Roosevelt Lincoln Christ while our democracy burns to the ground.

4 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

I will respectfully disagree and respect your views. But I will say this exchange, for me, is over. 

That last part tells me everything. That type of mental slavery is exactly what is wrong with America today. The idea of "Your vote is worthless if it doesn't align with our side". That is exactly the monster of s*** that is the Republican party and Trump. You silence someone's voice and say "it's worthless and not real" makes you part of the disease that has corrupted this country. 

Again, in all due respect, your opinion is your own. Have a good day. Stay safe and stay well. 

Under normal circumstances, I actually subscribe to this way of thinking. It's just really sad that so many like yourself and several others on these forums can't understand that these aren't normal times and that our country is in real peril if we don't take the course of action that gives us the best chance of trump no longer being in the White House. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

30 years past his relevancy? He was veep 4 years ago.

I know that you desperately want Biden to be a worse candidate than he really is. I don't understand it, and really wish folks like you would wait until we don't have a fascist incumbent to resume that mindset, but I guess just go on waiting for Jesus Kennedy Roosevelt Lincoln Christ while our democracy burns to the ground.

Dude, he was a puppet 4 years ago, just as he was 8 years ago. He was no more to Obama than Dan Quayle was to Bush Sr. 

Our Democracy isn't burning to the ground, and you don't see Biden for the crap candidate he is because you choose not to see it. That's due to the popular "anything but Trump" mentality that attempts to use that end to justify any means to get there. You end up propping up one choice because you can't stand the other. 

17 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

It is not debatable. He is a dog turd.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

you don't see Biden for the crap candidate he is because you choose not to see it

And you don't see him for the clear and obvious choice he is for the same reason, I guess. 

Just have to keep hoping we survive that mindset. 

Write-ins are not worthless. It’s a movement or a form of peaceful demonstration. 

5 minutes ago, creed said:

Write-ins are not worthless. It’s a movement or a form of peaceful demonstration. 

Again, that's true in normal times. In which we most certainly are not. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Under normal circumstances, I actually subscribe to this way of thinking. It's just really sad that so many like yourself and several others on these forums can't understand that these aren't normal times and that our country is in real peril if we don't take the course of action that gives us the best chance of trump no longer being in the White House. 

You just had to bait me in to a response with that gold nugget. 😂

The EXACT same thing I heard from the Republicans during Obama's last term(just put Obama in place of Trump). Seems dependent on point of view. In my opinion, we are in peril either way and it's sad to me that no one sees that.

Just now, SuperAUsome09 said:

The EXACT same thing I heard from the Republicans during Obama's last term(just put Obama in place of Trump).

Do you really not see a difference? 

1 minute ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

we are in peril either way and it's sad to me that no one sees that

It's a no-win situation for sure, but we'll get through 4  years of either one.  We have to find a better class of candidates than we've managed to float up the last 2 consecutive elections. It's embarrassing. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Again, that's true in normal times. In which we most certainly are not. 

Are you saying I need to suppress my values and select from one of the two (from my perspective) inferior candidates? I'm not a lever puller, I vote both sides of the aisle. I hope no one in this forum is a straight lever puller. You don't need intellect for that type of voting and it doesn't help shape party and\or governmental policies.

3 minutes ago, creed said:

Are you saying I need to suppress my values and select from one of the two (from my perspective) inferior candidates? I'm not a lever puller, I vote both sides of the aisle. I hope no one in this forum is a straight lever puller. You don't need intellect for that type of voting and it doesn't help shape party platforms.

There are numerous straight lever pullers on this forum. 

I am not saying that you need to suppress your values. I am saying that I'd think your values include protecting our Constitution and the democracy built upon it. There is a clear choice in that regard. There was a similarly clear choice in 2016 and we are paying a dear price for not exercising that option. The stakes only get higher if we make that same mistake this November.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There is a clear choice in that regard. There was a similarly clear choice in 2016 and we are paying a dear price for not exercising that option. The stakes only get higher if we make that same mistake this November.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on the matter, as well as hyperbole. The only thing that is clear is that we had 2x crap choices in 2016 and we have 2x crap choices now. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do you really not see a difference? 

Is there a difference? I believe so. Does that negate the fact that people said the same thing as you did, with Obama? No. So that indicates a certain point of view for me. People hate Trump as much as people hated Obama. So who is right? You because you claim to be on the side of the righteous due to Trump's plunge? Well Trumpers believe they are too because Biden is awful.

Archived