Calling all fact checkers

SocialCircle

23 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

You mean like the liberal, leftist Washington Post?

Well here is a check on the sterling fact checkers for the leftist WA Post. 

https://thefederalist.com/2020/09/18/joe-biden-resurrects-false-college-claim-that-helped-ruin-his-1988-presidential-run/

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now, SocialCircle said:

I know....and poorly so.

Eh, they nailed the whoppers pretty well.

But you got your "one single proof" of a biased media I guess lol. 

18 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Well here is a check on the sterling fact checkers for the leftist WA Post. 

https://thefederalist.com/2020/09/18/joe-biden-resurrects-false-college-claim-that-helped-ruin-his-1988-presidential-run/

Um, check the link again junior. WP updated their article, and it was something they’d reported on before.  Hardly carrying water for Biden here:

Update: Related to this comment, we missed one major blooper: “Guys like me, who were the first in my family to go to college.” As The Washington Post has reported: “While Biden was the first on his father’s side of the family to go to college, he was not the first in his whole family.”

15 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Eh, they nailed the whoppers pretty well.

But you got your "one single proof" of a biased media I guess lol. 

Are you suggesting the media isn’t largely biased?

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Um, check the link again junior. WP updated their article, and it was something they’d reported on before.  Hardly carrying water for Biden here:

Update: Related to this comment, we missed one major blooper: “Guys like me, who were the first in my family to go to college.” As The Washington Post has reported: “While Biden was the first on his father’s side of the family to go to college, he was not the first in his whole family.”

I’m interested to know the timing of their correction. I suspect it came after getting called out on it. Also, what does it say about Biden repeating this lie after it caused him issues in the past? It is deeply concerning. 

2 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Are you suggesting the media isn’t largely biased?

We're suggesting that you hang your hat on 'bias' too much to explain away things you don't like.

In this case, they just missed it.  No one catches every single jot and tittle in one of these.  For instance, the far-right site TownHall.com didn't even mention it in their factcheck article:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronsonstocking/2020/09/17/bidens-town-hall-event-shows-why-cnn-isnt-moderating-the-presidential-debates-n2576434

But it's not like WaPo was hiding anything.  As shown above, it was something they'd called him out on before.

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I’m interested to know the timing of their correction. I suspect it came after getting called out on it. Also, what does it say about Biden repeating this lie after it caused him issues in the past? It is deeply concerning. 

"My family" vs "my dad's side of the family" isn't exactly some massive whopper, dude.  It's a mild exaggeration at best.  Hardly big evidence of media bias coverups, especially considering they'd called him out on it before.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

"My family" vs "my dad's side of the family" isn't exactly some massive whopper, dude.  It's a mild exaggeration at best.  Hardly big evidence of media bias coverups, especially considering they'd called him out on it before.

Just admit both the fact checkers and Biden screwed up and move on. It is still deeply concerning for Biden to repeat a lie that caused him big issues in the past. 

In terms of timing, I know they at least had it corrected before 3:21pm EST the following day, because the Internet Archive got a grab of it then and the update was in place:

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 1.00.37 PM.png

The snapshot from the Federalist article is 37 minutes later:

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 1.03.05 PM.png

While that's not definitive proof, it does indicate the WaPo didn't exactly sit on it and possibly beat them to the punch.

5 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Just admit both the fact checkers and Biden screwed up and move on. It is still deeply concerning for Biden to repeat a lie that caused him big issues in the past. 

What are you bitching about?  The fact checkers overall did just fine.  It's a minor thing.  They got after the major issues.  The WaPo missed it initially (as did that noted far left wing rag TownHall <_< ) and went back and corrected it (and they'd reported on it before).  Others caught it.  Big whoop.

Also, you should pay more attention to the rhetorical sleight of hand the Federalist is pulling here.  This issue of "his dad's side of the family" vs "his family" was not something that caused him "big issues" in the past.  They just used that as a lead in to try and make it look that way.  The "big issue" they actually talk about the rest of the way pretty much was the plagiarism charge from 30 years ago.  But by juxtaposing them that way in the article it conflates a relatively minor thing with a major one.  Read better.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

What are you bitching about?  The fact checkers overall did just fine.  It's a minor thing.  They got after the major issues.  The WaPo missed it initially (as did that noted far left wing rag TownHall <_< ) and went back and corrected it (and they'd reported on it before).  Others caught it.  Big whoop.

Also, you should pay more attention to the rhetorical sleight of hand the Federalist is pulling here.  This issue of "his dad's side of the family" vs "his family" was not something that caused him "big issues" in the past.  They just used that as a lead in to try and make it look that way.  The "big issue" they actually talk about the rest of the way pretty much was the plagiarism charge from 30 years ago.  But by juxtaposing them that way in the article it conflates a relatively minor thing with a major one.  Read better.

You are spinning like a top. Just admit Biden lied and the fact checkers missed it initially and move on. I think it is very troubling for Biden to lie about this specific issue as it caused him issues in the past. 

36 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I suspect that's pretty much true for all corrections issued by media sources (that actually issue corrections). :rolleyes:

And LOL at "deeply concerning" coming from someone who constantly defends Trump, with his history of behavior, psychological baggage and compulsive lying. :laugh:

What a trip you are. ;D

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

1. A blog entry based on an article is probably not the best source. Just link to the original: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/joe-biden-town-hall-fact-checking-democratic-nominees/story?id=73062846

2. Maybe think about where you get your information in the future: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cns-news/

• Overall, we rate CNS News Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda, and numerous failed fact checks.

1 minute ago, savorytiger said:

1. A blog entry based on an article is probably not the best source. Just link to the original: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/joe-biden-town-hall-fact-checking-democratic-nominees/story?id=73062846

2. Maybe think about where you get your information in the future: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cns-news/

How about point out something wrong in the actually article posted as opposed to providing the lecture. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

as an aside i have to bring this up and not gonna llook through all the threads. does your pool have water that changes color when someone tinkles in the pool? you invited golf remember?

Are you worried about incontinence Sir????? :lmao:

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Are you worried about incontinence Sir????? :lmao:

no sir . well not me. was worried about golf lol .but i did in fact just start taking flomax. i can keep up wid the young folks again.

3 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

How about point out something wrong in the actually article posted as opposed to providing the lecture. 

What a childish response. 2 bullet points is a lecture eh?

It's a blog post on a far right site that's a tldr summary of a much longer fact check. It's barely a step up from a Facebook post, and bringing it up to support your side in a debate reflects poorly on you.

5 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

What a childish response. 2 bullet points is a lecture eh?

It's a blog post on a far right site that's a tldr summary of a much longer fact check. It's barely a step up from a Facebook post, and bringing it up to support your side in a debate reflects poorly on you.

Then debate the content if you dare. Point out where it is wrong if you can. That isn’t a big ask. 

2 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Then debate the content if you dare. Point out where it is wrong if you can. That isn’t a big ask. 

So your original post was to 1) point out that Biden said some wrong things and 2) make some assertion that fact checkers are biased on what they report. The first point is obviously true, he said those things. The second one is obviously false from all the links in this thread. What else is there to talk about?

4 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

You are spinning like a top. Just admit Biden lied and the fact checkers missed it initially and move on. I think it is very troubling for Biden to lie about this specific issue as it caused him issues in the past. 

Look, dumbass, I don't need to spin.  I'm talking basic rudimentary walking around sense and it whizzes past you like a Concorde.  Biden made a rather mild exaggeration.  Some fact checkers caught it, some didn't (both left leaning and right leaning ones) because sometimes people miss things.  It was corrected.

Be troubled.  No one cares.

7 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

So your original post was to 1) point out that Biden said some wrong things and 2) make some assertion that fact checkers are biased on what they report. The first point is obviously true, he said those things. The second one is obviously false from all the links in this thread. What else is there to talk about?

But of course, the WaPo missed it initially because "OMZG BIASED MEDIA LET'S ALL SLIT OUR WRISTS" but when far righty TownHall missed the same thing it's "erm, uh, just admit yore wrong n' stuff I win herp derp."

social will never admit when he is wrong. he is the cat that will argue with a stop sign. that should be a requirement in discussions if we really want to be fair or why discuss unless it is like a cat toying with a mouse. now he will read this and want to discuss it with me using the same talking points. again. now i understand a lot of folks hate to admit when they are wrong but it is a lot better look and classier than being wrong and trying to make others look like a dumb ass. i understand i am not perfect but if i am called on something i try to do better.

Archived