Trump now 1 for 26 on court challenges

TitanTiger

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

Great points. So if you have a FB friend who does forensic analyses on computers for a living and he shares info about the laptop and why he thinks it is legit and why he thinks it is not legit, then do you think that YOU should be able to determine whether you believe your friend or do you think that the FB algorithms should decide whether you get to even see what your friend thinks.

You do realize Facebook didn’t remove the story, right?  They flagged it with a fact check warning. You could still click through and see what he has to say to your heart’s content. Twitter prevented sharing of the article for a little while. 

I don’t think the answer here is “anything goes.”  These platforms have a right to step in when they think they are being manipulated to spread misinformation. And they are under no obligation to give people who wish to push this stuff a stage and a mic to do it with.  Probably the best middle ground is to flag it as questionable with a fact check link. Maybe eventually people will start checking things themselves first. Hell, maybe if we had an algorithm like that here we could avoid a lot of problems. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2020 at 2:54 PM, Grumps said:

I think you know this, but the vast majority of people who have moved to Parler state that they are doing so to avoid censorship. It is, in fact, unrelated to needing a safe space. But, carry on!

Censorship?  :rolleyes: 

They are avoiding standards by moving to a place that has none.

48 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You do realize Facebook didn’t remove the story, right?  They flagged it with a fact check warning. You could still click through and see what he has to say to your heart’s content. Twitter prevented sharing of the article for a little while. 

I don’t think the answer here is “anything goes.”  These platforms have a right to step in when they think they are being manipulated to spread misinformation. And they are under no obligation to give people who wish to push this stuff a stage and a mic to do it with.  Probably the best middle ground is to flag it as questionable with a fact check link. Maybe eventually people will start checking things themselves first. Hell, maybe if we had an algorithm like that here we could avoid a lot of problems. ;)

This brings us back to my original point that people have been exiting FB and Twitter and going to Parler because of censorship and not because the liberals are hurting their feelings, which they also have a right to do.

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Censorship?  :rolleyes: 

They are avoiding standards by moving to a place that has none.

Exactly! A place that has no standard for censorship!

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

This brings us back to my original point that people have been exiting FB and Twitter and going to Parler because of censorship and not because the liberals are hurting their feelings, which they also have a right to do.

I disagree. They don’t like have their bull**** fact-checked. Parler will let them spread lies and misinformation with ZFG. If you don’t like being fact checked, perhaps re-evaluate the news sources you follow and check before sharing sensational nonsense simple because it aligns with your presuppositions. 

5 hours ago, Grumps said:

I suppose that's what passes for "wit" in your mind.  :-\

They have no standards, period.  In fact, their business model is to offer a platform for lies and liars. 

I thought you agreed that we as a society are being challenged by the "information" age?  Parler embodies that challenge.

Of course, facts don't matter to cultists.  Right?

7 hours ago, Grumps said:

1) As Titan correctly pointed out, fact checking is not censorship.

2) There IS a standard for censorship on Parler.  Many stories of people getting kicked off the platform if they criticize the safe space it has become.  Or rules being put into place out of necessity.  Read more before spouting BS.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200627/23551144803/as-predicted-parler-is-banning-users-it-doesnt-like.shtml

https://fortune.com/2020/07/01/what-is-parler-conservative-free-speech-misinformation-hate-speech-john-matze/

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

2) There IS a standard for censorship on Parler.  Many stories of people getting kicked off the platform if they criticize the safe space it has become.  Or rules being put into place out of necessity.  Read more before spouting BS.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200627/23551144803/as-predicted-parler-is-banning-users-it-doesnt-like.shtml

https://fortune.com/2020/07/01/what-is-parler-conservative-free-speech-misinformation-hate-speech-john-matze/

"Pretty much all of my leftist friends joined Parler to screw with MAGA folks, and every last one of them was banned in less than 24 hours because conservatives truly love free speech."

(Sounds like my experience on one of the Bammer forums, except I didn't last 24 hours.  And I was being civil.  Honestly.  ;D)

Since Parler's being discussed here, just thought I'd mention in passing that some hackers found a zero-day sploit and a whole lot of people are about to get doxxed. See, in order to get the Parler equivalent of Twitter's blue check, you have to provide them with personal info. ID, SSN, etc. 

This is going to be fun. 

On 11/22/2020 at 10:15 PM, Brad_ATX said:

I don't know much at all about Parler. I've never been to the site. My only real point about Parler is that close to 100% of my FB who started a Parler account STATED that they were moving to avoid censorship, not because they wanted to move to a safe space. If you look back at how this started, that was my point. It would be much easier to stay on FB and unfriend everyone who impeded on my safe space than to go to a whole new platform (Parler) to achieve a safe space.

Why do you think that conservatives have been moving to Parler?

54 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Having the contents of a post hidden is censorship.

The contents can easily be read simply with an extra click.  Not censorship.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The contents can easily be read simply with an extra click.  Not censorship.

If we are going to get picky then so be it.

Censorship: the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security:

I guess we have to decide if covering over a post where it cannot be read without taking further action is considered to be "supression."

For the record, I would not have a problem with Twitter and FB hiding things that have been fact-checked if they would treat conservative issues and liberal issue the same way.

Just now, Grumps said:

If we are going to get picky then so be it.

Censorship: the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security:

I guess we have to decide if covering over a post where it cannot be read without taking further action is considered to be "supression."

For the record, I would not have a problem with Twitter and FB hiding things that have been fact-checked if they would treat conservative issues and liberal issue the same way.

If you can literally click through to see the post, it's not censorship.  It's no more censorship than having a cover sheet on a fax.  If they weren't allowing you to view it at all on their platform, that would be censorship.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If you can literally click through to see the post, it's not censorship.  It's no more censorship than having a cover sheet on a fax.  If they weren't allowing you to view it at all on their platform, that would be censorship.

Which is, technically and legally, a perfect right for any private enterprise or organization.

I have some friends on Facebook who have never met a conspiracy theory or a partisan horse***t site they won't jump in with both feet on.  Just to show you a couple of examples of this horrendous "censorship":

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 10.00.32 PM.png

You literally click "See Photo" and you get the whole thing in all its fact-free glory:

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 10.00.38 PM.png

Another one has a message that the post in question "lacks context":

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 9.58.51 PM.png

But simply click "See More" at the bottom and you get the original post:

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 9.59.05 PM.png

No one in their right mind calls this censorship.  They simply aren't sitting idly by and allowing their platform, that they own, to be used carte blanche to spread misinformation and bull****.  

And if my timeline is anything like most people's, there's a reason it's happening to conservatives more right now.  My conservative friends are the ones peddling this garbage the most - by a rate of at least 50 to 1.  They are by far the ones most likely to share half-assed COVID quackery, by an order of magnitude the most likely to share lies from wacko hyper partisan sites.  Not every disparity is evidence of being treated unfairly.  Sometimes it's because one side is worse or is doing it more.

19 hours ago, Grumps said:

I don't know much at all about Parler. I've never been to the site. My only real point about Parler is that close to 100% of my FB who started a Parler account STATED that they were moving to avoid censorship, not because they wanted to move to a safe space. If you look back at how this started, that was my point. It would be much easier to stay on FB and unfriend everyone who impeded on my safe space than to go to a whole new platform (Parler) to achieve a safe space.

Why do you think that conservatives have been moving to Parler?

Because they like living in echo chambers.  It's really that simple.  Your friends, quite simply, don't want their beliefs challenged.

Archived